Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

bubbling hood paint... UGH!!

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/14, 08:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
aerostar is a oldie... my 85 camaro did the same thing- 85 was first year gm used water based acrylic laquer paints/no clearcoat, car was all steel, but by 2 yrs old was blowing off in sheets (dealer had put 'bodyguard' sealant on and voided the warranty- gm had a glut of complaints that year, mostly blues and silvers...I still have the window sticker and a same sized sheet of that paint in the cars old folder)

just a couple yrs ago IIRC the corvettes had roof panels coming unglued and blowing off- so it could be worse...

full panel paint adhesion is not as much a problem to ford as the blistering edges- once any edge goes though it races pretty quick. I really feel if they prepped the sharp edges and/or used a sealer to protect the thin paint film from the sharp edges before painting, the problem would be no more commonplace than any other make/model with aluminum panels... seems for has the worst issues, and the bulk all start from hidden edges- that often dont get noticed until after warranty is up.

My 06 hood I waxed under (probably accelerated the problem just by washing/drying- any rubbing that sharp edge might accelerate film failure at the corner) and the little blisters it came new with were pretty stable for a year, but mid of second year they went to 2" back and about 2' wide strawberry looking blisters just over a couple months time, including a little bubble creeping to the show surface of the hood lip. its been up in the rafters of my garage, hasnt changed- so humidity dont seem to do it, think it needs water from rain/washing...
Old 4/13/14, 08:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Certainly not debating the issue but could other factors be involved in this problem? Is is specific to model like V6 vs GT? I can't remember any Cobra or GT 500 owners discuss this. Doesn't mean it isn't happening.

What about sea side states with "salty air ?" I'm from Alaska. Just about every car looked like cr@p after a few years...really this fascinates me and has me paranoid.

I waxed the heck out of my under hood today.
Attached Thumbnails bubbling hood paint... UGH!!-image-2028214442.jpg  
Old 4/13/14, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I've only driven my 05 in one winter but had it RustCheck'd the first year. Since then I occasionally just use a RustCheck Inhibitor Spray and touch-up the hood seams and door bottoms. I've no rust or paint peeling anywhere that I can see.

http://rustcheck.com/index.php?optio...-rp&Itemid=105
Old 4/13/14, 10:35 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Certainly not debating the issue but could other factors be involved in this problem? Is is specific to model like V6 vs GT? I can't remember any Cobra or GT 500 owners discuss this. Doesn't mean it isn't happening.

What about sea side states with "salty air ?" I'm from Alaska. Just about every car looked like cr@p after a few years...really this fascinates me and has me paranoid.

I waxed the heck out of my under hood today.
again, pics of mustangs at the 2014 cleveland auto show-

look for areas like this along the hem:

they seem to start like that, and once it starts to creep under, looks more like this:

if no bubbly areas seen anywhere around the perimeter, fine, just keep a eye on it. if its got any, up to you...
Ive decided on my 09, before I ever drive it, to run a bead of 'automotive goop' glue around the edge like seam sealer- but its clear... might help/might hurt, but my thinking is, just lap the edge with a bead to prevent water from getting to the edge, where oxidation will creep rapidly.
Old 4/13/14, 11:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Now that you mention other things most all that have this happen also have had the positive battey cable carode away & fall apart , be it any weather still does not happen on UPS trucks /FED-EX trucks or airplanes , I do not think that the hood is grounded.
Old 4/14/14, 12:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
You are now spamming threads with the same subject.
On a car that isn't even in production yet.

Those threads are now getting closed.
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
I dissagree with the spamming , just wait I'll bet my left nut even the 2015 will have some ugly issue & there are many threads here that are on say repeated topics , so how is this spam ? Are you against people that payed good money for a car only to get stiffed ?
I have to agree that this is not an issue of spamming. It's not my web site but the issue has been talked about since the S197's intro.
In many threads.
I love TMS but I could live without the hood blistering.
Old 4/14/14, 04:32 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Now that you mention other things most all that have this happen also have had the positive battey cable carode away & fall apart , be it any weather still does not happen on UPS trucks /FED-EX trucks or airplanes , I do not think that the hood is grounded.
you're right, its not grounded... I dont *think* it needs to be as theres no hood light, but I dunno...I'll check later to measure millivolts from the hinge to the core support with headlamps on, it *might* be possible the hinge-to-latch is carrying a tiny bit of the ground path.

I just looked at the wifes car... son of a ***** if it didnt blister over the winter...I cleaned up underhood last fall before it went into hibernation, just went out to check ground, felt it upon lifting the hood...it was the tiny bubbles along the edge last fall (have pics somewhere) now its got a 2" wide x 1/4" stripe that looks/feels like 36 grit sandpaper under the paint... I knew it would blossom, but thought sitting in the dry garage over winter would be safe... didnt expect to see any changes till later in the year at best...

She probably wont let me put a Fang Shaker on hers, but will probably let me 'fix' it... she dont like modifying anything on her cars, thinks I'm silly for messing with mine, but she was OK with me fixing her quarter panel that got hit and fix the rusty crossmember under her avalanche...I'll try to do something without messing the topside paint up/see if it can be held at bay before it gets out of hand
Old 4/14/14, 05:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
you're right, its not grounded... I dont *think* it needs to be as theres no hood light, but I dunno...I'll check later to measure millivolts from the hinge to the core support with headlamps on, it *might* be possible the hinge-to-latch is carrying a tiny bit of the ground path.

I just looked at the wifes car... son of a ***** if it didnt blister over the winter...I cleaned up underhood last fall before it went into hibernation, just went out to check ground, felt it upon lifting the hood...it was the tiny bubbles along the edge last fall (have pics somewhere) now its got a 2" wide x 1/4" stripe that looks/feels like 36 grit sandpaper under the paint... I knew it would blossom, but thought sitting in the dry garage over winter would be safe... didnt expect to see any changes till later in the year at best...

She probably wont let me put a Fang Shaker on hers, but will probably let me 'fix' it... she dont like modifying anything on her cars, thinks I'm silly for messing with mine, but she was OK with me fixing her quarter panel that got hit and fix the rusty crossmember under her avalanche...I'll try to do something without messing the topside paint up/see if it can be held at bay before it gets out of hand
Are you saying a hood should be grounded to prevent this corrosion / Paint blistering?
Old 4/14/14, 07:56 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by GrnT
Are you saying a hood should be grounded to prevent this corrosion / Paint blistering?
no idea at all...but its a angle I never considered...the wrong charge (even a tiny one) will accelerate corrosion... buried gas pipes have anode blocks (just magnesium chunks) bolted every so many feet, with those pipes and probe wires to read voltage above ground to prevent corrosion and still be able to periodically check condition...

edit- just checked the wifes car, engine off, voltmeter from hinge to latch:
0.0 mV lights off
0.9 mV lights on
1.1mv highbeams on

polarity negative at the hinge end. its just due to the body being less than perfect conductor for grounding the headlamps, so headlight loads will make that end of the chassis read slightly less grounded than back near the battery... just wondering if the additional 'ground path' from hinge to latch might carry enough of a trickle of current thru the hood to make any difference at all... doubtful, and a groundstrap would just aggravate the situation if it did...

will try to do some reading tonight on polarity/charge/corrosion... I really dont think this will apply as its not like a ship in saltwater or a pipe buried in moist dirt, but again, its a angle I'd never considered... the front lip will be very very slightly positive compared to the hinged end, the front lip will be the wettest due to shape/drainage...hmm... probably nothing to see here, but I like to read

something else to think about- bolting magnesium anode blocks to steel protects the steel, and the lesser metal corrodes...perhaps bolting an aluminum hood to a steel car protects the steel car a little at the expense of the hood?

hmm...perhaps insulating the hood from the car and adding a even lesser metal (magnesium) block to the hood would help?

edit again, after reading a little, nope...unless the car is underwater theres no current path, so nothing to see here... however, if a mustang ever goes swimming, the aluminum hood would act as a anode to protect the steel chassis

Last edited by ford4v429; 4/14/14 at 09:05 PM.
Old 6/12/14, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Ford will do absolutely nothing if the car is out of warranty? I have a 2006 GT and it's been out of warranty for awhile. The hood paint bubbling off is the latest on a long list of issues I've had with this car. I'm about to just drive the **** thing into a river.
Old 6/12/14, 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
That's correct. A 2006 Mustang is an 8 year old car, and therefore 5 years out of any applicable warranty, regardless of mileage. It is now your car, your responsibility, to take care of any issues, unless a recall or a court order is in effect regarding any particular issue.

It is my *fervent* hope that Ford is Class Actioned by the F150 owners who get the crap paint on the aluminum, and that that Class Action is won, and that Class Action also retroactively adds any Ford original aluminum hood (aka, Mustangs from '05 and up) to the Action, and that Action will require Ford to either repaint the hood if it is still affected, or compensate for any SINGLE repaint of the ORIGINAL hood. Modded hoods and replacement hoods do not count, that is owner choice, owner responsibility, as they could have kept the old hood and just repainted.

Or something close to that anyway. Kinda surprised nobody's Class Actioned the Mustang hoods, really. Wonder why that is... ?

/$$$. Oh yeah...

Last edited by houtex; 6/12/14 at 02:57 PM.
Old 6/12/14, 05:16 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by FlanFlen
So Ford will do absolutely nothing if the car is out of warranty? I have a 2006 GT and it's been out of warranty for awhile. The hood paint bubbling off is the latest on a long list of issues I've had with this car. I'm about to just drive the **** thing into a river.
its a old car now, paint issues NOW are nothing to complain about really- but yeah, the hood paint sucks. my biggest beef is the new ones at the auto shows still showing screwed up hood paint when brand new... What 'long list of issues' have you had? Ive also got a 06 gt, its been the best car I ever owned. I put a clutch disc in a month ago, a couple sets of tires(both attributed to flogging the heck out of it at the dragstrip), cowl drains plugged a couple times, seatback levers broke, tierod boots cracked(really cheep rubber) but thats about it- well the crappy hood paint at a couple years old of course- but really its been dead reliable.

I bought a new 85 camaro, that I was kinda content with, but I had 5 tranny failures(4 small stupid in car repairs of busted parts-gov gear, 2 springs,servo seal, 5th I had to take it out to rebuild it- for 85 bucks/two evenings) but several sets of brakes, balljoints, tierods, exhaust,EFI issues, Cat, horrid paint(peeled at 3 yrs old- had to repaint) blower motor, fuel pump, likely more I dont recall... it wasnt down a lot, but 100 times more problematic than the mustang. It helps too that the mustang is such a ball to drive, the little things were all minor- but the hood paint was (is) a bull**** issue on a new car. Ive read of a few issues, but mostly minor...strut bearings, alternators, broken plugs, but nothing that woulda made me afraid of buying another.

I just want to see ford put at least Hyundai quality into their hood paint/prep process- currently it sucks, as it has since 04. betcha the 15 has the same issues with some blistering from the hems by 2016.
Old 6/17/14, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Sorry, wrong section.

Last edited by 2010GBGT; 6/17/14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 9/5/14, 01:41 PM
V6 Member

F O R D

F O R D = First On Rust and Deterioration

Contacted my service manager yesterday. Waiting to see if they propose that I pay half on a new $1200 hood. Passed 3-yr period now, but miles less than 17k. Just noticed the bubbling problem.
Old 9/8/14, 06:41 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy9qkly48v...59.51.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcplbvw2yp...00.00.jpg?dl=0

Any luck anybody with the hood bubbling issue for a 2011 mustang now? It appears to be spreading all over the hood lip.. Any help from FORD? Dealer says he has taken up the matter with FORD.. Not sure if I will get a positive reply...

this sucks!
Old 9/8/14, 10:11 PM
V6 Member

Dealer's service manager called, said Ford normal channels turned down a repair.

Service manager next plans to escalate issue within Ford organization, will let me know.
Old 9/20/14, 10:07 AM
V6 Member

Well, after a couple weeks, my service manager got an OK from Ford to replace my alum engine hood with the bubbling paint. The car is a year past end of 36 month warranty. The dealer's price for the hood replacement work was $2400, but discounted to about $2200. Ford agrees to reimburse dealer $1400, so I had to pay the $800 balance. The new primered hood was painted by the dealer's shop to match paint on September 18.

Picture of bubbling paint

https://imageshack.com/i/ipgAQaoQj
Old 9/24/14, 05:50 PM
legacy Tms Member

took a pick/razor blade /scraper to my undriven, 4 mile, only been wet twice 09's bubbled up hood underside...two corrosion blisters about the size of a quarter. Hope I can stop it where its at, both propagated from the tiny bubbles it had new, rest still looks fair

also got after the wifes 07 (already replaced the hood on my 06 years ago) hers has 4 big blisters and most of the lip(luckily hasnt bubbled to the visible part, but another 1/16 of a inch it will)

sorry ford, but your hood prep/paint just plain sucks. ****ty job guys, ****ty job...
Old 9/24/14, 05:56 PM
V6 Member

My car is a year past end of 36 month warranty. The dealer's price for the hood replacement work was $2400, but discounted to about $2200. Ford agrees to reimburse dealer $1400, so I had to pay the $800 balance. The new primered hood was painted by the dealer's shop to match paint on September 18. Traded car for a Chrysler later same day
Old 9/26/14, 05:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Palmateer
My car is a year past end of 36 month warranty. The dealer's price for the hood replacement work was $2400, but discounted to about $2200. Ford agrees to reimburse dealer $1400, so I had to pay the $800 balance. The new primered hood was painted by the dealer's shop to match paint on September 18. Traded car for a Chrysler later same day
ouch...sorry to hear, but understand the frustration with Ford...

I love my mustangs too much to part with them over a boneheaded decade old process flaw, but until I see a 2015 F150 several years old without paint bubbling, I'm being quite vocal to warn folks/show pics of brand new fords at the auto shows with screwed up aluminum hood prep/paint...
I would not even consider a 15 f150 after seeing their track record with aluminum- my guess is by 2018/2019 theres going to be a lot of strawberry textured F150s on the road.
If they coulda fixed the obvious problem and didnt, well shame on them... if they didnt fix it? well then they will deserve seeing their biggest money maker turn into a recall that will make the windstar recall look cheap.

Originally Posted by ford4v429
took a pick/razor blade /scraper to my undriven, 4 mile, only been wet twice 09's bubbled up hood underside...two corrosion blisters about the size of a quarter. Hope I can stop it where its at, both propagated from the tiny bubbles it had new, rest still looks fair

also got after the wifes 07 (already replaced the hood on my 06 years ago) hers has 4 big blisters and most of the lip(luckily hasnt bubbled to the visible part, but another 1/16 of a inch it will)

sorry ford, but your hood prep/paint just plain sucks. ****ty job guys, ****ty job...
thinking further, maybe I might just as well bite the bullet and order two more fiberglass hoods...know I'm gonna need them.

peeling blistered paint off a undriven/brand new car (yes its almost 6 years old, but it has only been washed twice and sits covered with a shelby car cover in the garage) has really affected me- weird, I love the cars, the stupid hood problem, I just figured. 'oh well'... but the more paint I peeled off the 09, the more powdery white corrosion I scraped off, the more I would like to pull the hood, crunch it to fit in a box, ship it to Flatrock and tell them to stick it where the sun dont shine. the more I think about it, the better it sounds... maybe get a bigger box and stuff all three f'd up hoods in there? would anyone care? maybe send them to consumer reports instead? I dunno, but their total lack of concern hadnt bothered me much till scraping on that virgin 09 mustang gt... really affected the way I see ford, I knew they had been ignoring the paint/aluminum issue as much as anyone, but it didnt bother me much till actually having to peel paint off a untouched/ virgin car.

Ford is simply off the table come new car time. yes I'm just one guy, only bought 5 brand new Fords in my lifetime- but afraid there aint likely to ever be a number 6.

Tim

Quick Reply: bubbling hood paint... UGH!!