Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

bubbling hood paint... UGH!!

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/12, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bubbling hood paint... UGH!!

Anyone have any luck with an out of warrantee Mustang and getting the hood fixed? Mine started like all others... Bubbling under the hood, now it has moved to the front lip. I know if one rock hits that bubble it will be all over.
Old 4/16/12, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by DPHC13
Anyone have any luck with an out of warrantee Mustang and getting the hood fixed? Mine started like all others... Bubbling under the hood, now it has moved to the front lip. I know if one rock hits that bubble it will be all over.
Not to be "that guy" but there have been several threads on this. Search is your friend
Old 4/16/12, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
https://themustangsource.com/f804/pa...bbling-504570/

https://themustangsource.com/f804/hood-bubbling-495172/

https://themustangsource.com/f739/co...n-hood-491504/

for starters.

/Hooray the search actually worked pretty decently this time.
The following users liked this post:
surtec34 (9/29/16)
Old 5/20/12, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I know I know.... Search is great. You know how many time i come on a site and spend hours reading posts. If everyone used the search we would have no new posts. No new guy would ask about the front end clunk then we would have no one to help. Just a thought. Anyway if anyone cares, I e-mailed Ford and if anyone used the search they would have found out that Ford could give two ****s about this problem. Because they don't see it as a problem at all. No "recall" no luck. Thanks for the info on that search thing.
Old 5/20/12, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I know.... Search is great. You know how many time i come on a site and spend hours reading posts. If everyone used the search we would have no new posts. No new guy would ask about the front end clunk then we would have no one to help. Just a thought. Anyway if anyone cares, I e-mailed Ford and if anyone used the search they would have found out that Ford could give two ****s about this problem. Because they don't see it as a problem at all. No "recall" no luck. Thanks for the info on that search thing.
Sounds like a frustrating thing to deal with! YOU KNOW THEY HAVE HAD THREADS ABOUT THIS BEFORE? YOU SHOULD USE YOUR SEARCH!!! Just messin with you buddy! what i would do is find me a aftermarket hood and have it painted and then sell your stock one! Just an idea to throw at ya!! Good luck with everything!
Old 6/11/12, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks sampey43. The hood thing sucks and just a heads up for anyone with the paint bubbling UNDER the hood, take it to a body shop NOW and get it taken care of ASAP!! I let it go and now I'm screwed. This problem escalates FAST.
Old 6/11/12, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I didn't reply earlier, and I probaly should have.

The snideness wasn't towards you, Mark, it was towards the search box up there that usually is wildly inaccurate. I use Google and put in 'site:themustangsource.com whateveritisimlookingfor' and usually get a WAY better list of results than the vB one here.

Sorry for to if I mayhaps possibly tweaked your personalized feelings upon it. 'Twasn't meant to, honest.

/Me an' the search box have had our... disagreements, let's say.
Old 6/12/12, 12:50 PM

Thanks sampey43. The hood thing sucks and just a heads up for anyone with the paint bubbling UNDER the hood, take it to a body shop NOW and get it taken care of ASAP!! I let it go and now I'm screwed. This problem escalates FAST.
My dealer told me the opposite.
He said it could be months or years until it grows any bigger..
But when its on the top of the car and the paint if flaking off then you should get it down asap.

I noticed mine on the lip a few weeks ago..
Then today the dealer pointed out a LOT under the hood area.
2007. 11k miles..I'm kinda pissed at the moment.
Old 6/21/12, 01:58 AM
Cobra Member

I have a 2006 that had the bubbling hood. I got it repainted with a one year warranty, guess what came back 16 months later
Old 6/23/12, 03:50 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by joeblackis
My dealer told me the opposite.
He said it could be months or years until it grows any bigger..
But when its on the top of the car and the paint if flaking off then you should get it down asap.

I noticed mine on the lip a few weeks ago..
Then today the dealer pointed out a LOT under the hood area.
2007. 11k miles..I'm kinda pissed at the moment.
my 06 went from a few blisters under the hood noticed when waxing, to several inches of 3~4" wide blisters up onto the top over a period of just a couple months. once it starts to really go, it goes FAST.
Old 6/23/12, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

It's ok Houtex. I just see the "use search" thing in so many posts and if the person used search then I would have nothing to read! We should try and get a New post with everyone who has a hood paint problem would post in. Then we send it to Ford... not that we would all get new hoods out of the deal but it would be worth a try.
Old 8/12/12, 03:47 AM

Have the same issue with my'06. Just started a few months back.
Old 8/22/12, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine started like a week after the 36K limit. Very small spot and now its plentiful along the bottom. I've read lots of them will just come back after a repaint. The process to fix involves a chemical strip and then still no guarantee. I'll be going aftermarket fiberglass I guess when the cancer becomes visible. Somebody needs to lay the smackdown on Ford for this one seeing as how every S197 I have ever looked under the hood shows signs of this and its admittedly a contamination fault during production.
Old 8/23/12, 12:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My brothers 2010 Mustang has some pretty good bubbling going on. Took it to dealer and was repaired and fixed no problems or questions. His 07 GT/CS did same thing, took it to dealership and they took care of it right away. I can't believe how many of you guys have crappy dealerships not willing to help....
Old 8/23/12, 12:10 AM
Cobra Member

Old 8/23/12, 04:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem with mine years ago but never really spread. but the lip of my trunk is rusting and now I really need to do something about it.
Old 8/27/12, 02:09 PM

so I have a 2011 Mustang. I noticed a few months ago the bubbling on my hood. I took it to my local ford dealer and they told me it had to break thru the paint before they would do anything. so about 2-3 weeks ago, it broke thru. I took it to them, and they flatly denied the claim. saying the corrosion would have to go thru the metal for the warranty. The car is out of standard warranty (it was when I bought it).
I got a complete run around from the service dept there. they first told me they sent it to their body shop to be evaluated. then they said they sent it to ford. who denied it. yet when I contact ford and their body shop, both say the service dept never got in touch with them. I am attempting to to contact other ford dealers, but it's an aggravating process.
Any ideas on what I can say or how I can phrase things. I really don't want to have to buy a new hood.

edit.. sry didnt realize this was under the 05-09 section. putting into proper section
Attached Thumbnails bubbling hood paint... UGH!!-hood-corrosion.jpg  

Last edited by BaerwaldeStang; 8/27/12 at 02:15 PM. Reason: posted in wrong sub forum
Old 8/27/12, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Where exactly is that? Hard to tell by the picture. I am wondering if there is something else going on there. The 05-09 looks to start under the metal fold in the lip under the hood and then spreads out eventually with the paint falling off.

Originally Posted by BaerwaldeStang
so I have a 2011 Mustang. I noticed a few months ago the bubbling on my hood. I took it to my local ford dealer and they told me it had to break thru the paint before they would do anything. so about 2-3 weeks ago, it broke thru. I took it to them, and they flatly denied the claim. saying the corrosion would have to go thru the metal for the warranty. The car is out of standard warranty (it was when I bought it).
I got a complete run around from the service dept there. they first told me they sent it to their body shop to be evaluated. then they said they sent it to ford. who denied it. yet when I contact ford and their body shop, both say the service dept never got in touch with them. I am attempting to to contact other ford dealers, but it's an aggravating process.
Any ideas on what I can say or how I can phrase things. I really don't want to have to buy a new hood.

edit.. sry didnt realize this was under the 05-09 section. putting into proper section
Old 8/28/12, 07:09 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BaerwaldeStang
Hey BaerwaldeStang,

I’m not sure is you saw my post on the other thread, but please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area and help get this resolved.

Deysha
Old 9/11/12, 02:11 AM

Ford Rustang

I am totally impressed with Deysha’s helpful attitude! Have you guys had your probs handled? Awesome, if this is so…

Ours is just another Mustang-hood-bubbling-paint story that might be an amusing read if you’ve grown tired of waiting for help to come for your own once-beautiful Mustang…

We have a 2008 with problems in the factory paint: swirled blemishes under the clear coat (best description is that the metallic wasn’t properly distributed), paint drips have hardened at the base of driver’s door (just imagine silver colored Elmer’s glue and you squeezed a few blobs out and let it dry), and, OF COURSE, the hood is bubbling. In 8 places. Or should I say, now it’s more than bubbling, the paint is now coming off. A one inch by 1/8 inch piece of paint has flaked off in one place, exposing a textured whitish surface.

Back in 2010, when we noticed the paint problem, we took the vehicle in to our dealer (along with a list of other problems to be fixed under warranty). To our dismay, four of the problems were not repaired. But although the dealer acknowledged the paint problems and said Ford would fix the paint problems- - wait for it- - it would have to be at the original dealer. Sounds like a great resolution, yah?

Orig dealer is on another island, and it’s only $280 to ship a car. One way.

The car’s now out of warranty. But we have Ford’s ESP and Ford Maintenance Plan (I know, I know… $ucker). But we *did* address this while under the BTB warranty.

I should mention that the vehicle is at the dealer right now for the paint problem and the other problems I mentioned. Body shop manager said that unless a perforation happens, Ford will do nothing.

He said that the hood is aluminum, and the whole thing can rust, but that it would never be perforated because it is aluminum. He said his own Mustang is several times worse than ours, but he is, um, weighing his options.

As for the paint drips on the door edge, he called it rust and recommended getting an estimate for a repair so we could evaluate whether or not to have it handled now, since it may or may not perforate within the five-year coverage period. I could be wrong, but I’m not sure it’s rust there- it lumps out and seems to be more than how the hood is bubbling. And it hasn’t changed shape or grown.

He inspected the weird “blemish” and was semi-amazed; said he’d never seen anything like the defect under the clear coat.

It sure is a bummer when huge companies cut corners or don’t take care of their customers. Used to be that the big American companies could be trusted and relied upon. I just want to encourage all fellow Mustang owners to seek a resolution for any problems they may be having. Let’s continue helping one another out as on forums such as this… And thanks, Deysha. Seems like you care.

Quick Reply: bubbling hood paint... UGH!!