2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

2007 GT/CS Photos!

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/06, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see what everyone is upset about. Mustangs have always been designed for a large cross section. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not a exterior V6 decor package, there's some meat in it! With the V8 at 300+ HP it's like all CS/GTs will be 428CJs (in 1968 performance!)

I do like the side stripe, I do like the side scoop, front facia is OK, the wheels look great. I'm not keen on the hood scoop (looks too 65, the CA Dreaming would looks much better) and definitely needs a ducktail.
Old 2/10/06, 11:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(65gtfastback @ February 9, 2006, 11:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
NOT EVERYTHING FROM THE SEVENTIES WAS GOOD!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Well genius, I guess it's a good thing the original GT/CS came out in 1968 then huh? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/10/06, 11:42 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I had no idea there was a cost effective solution for heated seat. I had already included a homelink, compass mirror in the deal from the dealer and was planning on doing a CAI & underdrive pulleys & custom tune + whatever else might add a few more ponies w/o going too radical. I just called my dealer back to tell him I'll stick with my order for the 06.

Thanks for the advice and the link. I really appreciate it! [/b][/quote]

No problem and I'm glad I could help. The heated seats are pretty easy to install. You just need to peel back the seat coverings a little to slide the heater element under. PM me if you need any more help.

-TRB
Old 2/10/06, 08:19 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pitpup @ February 9, 2006, 11:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey Blue... best I can remember, someone who owns a stick GT was asked to 'test market' the 2007. The associate volunteered the info about heated seats and an additional 25 HP if I remember the thread correctly. It was about 4-6 months ago, I believe. If the heated seats is true, why not the 25 HP? (The consensus was that it was just a 'tune' and would still run on Regular Gas)
[/b][/quote]

I remember a topic from over a year ago where some credible info. said that both the GT & V6 would get HP bumps for MY 07. The # thrown around for the GT was 20 HP.

Given the way the HP vs RPM curve on the GT flattens out at high RPM it would indicate that HP on the 3V is being limited by air flow. By going to an X pipe with some exhaust tweaks, some intake improvements and a computer tweak, +20 HP should be easy to obtain.
Old 2/11/06, 12:37 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustang68w @ February 10, 2006, 1:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well genius, I guess it's a good thing the original GT/CS came out in 1968 then huh? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
My point was of course, (obvious, or so I thought) that the tacky stripe and fake scoop craze reached its garish crescendo in that decade of unparalleled good taste and restraint, the seventies! Sad to say, but I was there...
I thought that the photo of the Mustang II, with more vinyl down the side than a '72 Country Squire, was a good illustration of where the abuse and misuse of polymers can bring us.
Guess I was wrong [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Paul

PS. I now see that your sig says that you have a '68 with the CS dress-up package, enjoy! Any old Mustang is a good Mustang! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/11/06, 01:44 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustang68w @ February 10, 2006, 1:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Guess someone's thong is in a knot....
Old 2/11/06, 02:13 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stang9325 @ February 11, 2006, 3:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Guess someone's thong is in a knot....
[/b][/quote]

I guess I'll have to be more careful with my comments in the future, but spoiler delete still rules! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Paul
Old 2/11/06, 06:11 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(65gtfastback @ February 11, 2006, 4:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I guess I'll have to be more careful with my comments in the future, but spoiler delete still rules! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Paul
[/b][/quote]
Nah! Like we say down at the hen house... cluck 'em if they can't take a yoke!
Old 2/11/06, 01:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't get why so many people are against it.
You may not like it, but no ones forcing you to buy it, you can still achieve the clean look in a GT[/b][/quote]
Because every precious development dollar spent on such cheesy and useless claptrap is one dollar less spent on developing functional enhancements that would increase the Mustang's actual performance, comfort, safety and efficiency.

Rather than wasting development resources on tacky pop-rivet Disco-Dan stylistic codpieces, what about HIDs, 6-speed MTX, IRS, DOHC, VVT, 5.4, etc. that would enhance not only the Stang's actual performance and functionality, but increase its overall performance credibility rather than being seen as a show off's show boat? This diversion of scarce resources is especially troubling given the presence on the near horizon of a new Camaro and Challenger, each likely with a whole suite of real, genuine performance specs (IRS, 400hp motors, 6 speed trannys, etc.) that will represent a huge challenge to the Stang. Heck, even a Subaru Legacy GT is running 13.7 @ 100mph on the strip with only "250" hp, never mind such cars as the EVO and STI that will run with the Stang in a straight line and evicerate it in real world twisties. The Solstice GXP will have a power to weight ratio equal the GTs and a suspension that makes the Stangs look as crude as it is, all for around $25K.

So what's Ford doing to meet these and other performance challenges from all quarters? A surface jewelry package and an overpriced, undercontented GT500, albeit the latter with a big, powerfull motor at least.

Perhaps its from having lived through the seventies when pretty much every "performance" car out of the big three was merely some hollow sticker and spoiler package, the next one more gaudy and outrageous than the previous, that I get such a case of the *****'s from these peacock packages. Any package that is all flash with no added meat sets off the cheese ball alarm with me.

Now if those dumbo ears actually led to cooling ducts to some dual piston Brembos and that hood scoop actually led to the CAI of a 350hp DOHC, i.e., real substance, then I would be all for it. Sadly, that is not the case and all this surface garbage is just stylistic stuffed bras/briefs for posers and pretenders.
Old 2/11/06, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhumb @ February 11, 2006, 12:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Rather than wasting development resources on tacky pop-rivet Disco-Dan stylistic codpieces, what about HIDs, 6-speed MTX, IRS, DOHC, VVT, 5.4, etc. that would enhance not only the Stang's actual performance and functionality, but increase its overall performance credibility rather than being seen as a show off's show boat? This diversion of scarce resources is especially troubling given the presence on the near horizon of a new Camaro and Challenger, each likely with a whole suite of real, genuine performance specs (IRS, 400hp motors, 6 speed trannys, etc.) that will represent a huge challenge to the Stang.

So what's Ford doing to meet these and other performance challenges from all quarters? A surface jewelry package and an overpriced, undercontented GT500, albeit the latter with a big, powerfull motor at least.

Now if those dumbo ears actually led to cooling ducts to some dual piston Brembos and that hood scoop actually led to the CAI of a 350hp DOHC, i.e., real substance, then I would be all for it. Sadly, that is not the case and all this surface garbage is just stylistic stuffed bras/briefs for posers and pretenders.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah...that's what I mean! Some people are able to say things more eloquently than others. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Old 2/11/06, 02:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhumb @ February 11, 2006, 3:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Because every precious development dollar spent on such cheesy and useless claptrap is one dollar less spent on developing functional enhancements that would increase the Mustang's actual performance, comfort, safety and efficiency.[/b][/quote]

The cost to produce a different front bumper piece, tack-on scoops, and vinyl stripes is relatively low compared to performance enhancements. These can be released much more quickly to market as well. It is my opinion that getting more new people interested in the current Mustang, which has no direct "heritage" car competition currently in its price range, requires focus on style first than performance later. I could be wrong, of course, because I don't work for Ford in marketing.

The heated seats for 2007 seems to qualify as a comfort option. What other safety or efficiency enhancements are you thinking about beyond what's already there? The HIDs?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhumb @ February 11, 2006, 3:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Rather than wasting development resources on tacky pop-rivet Disco-Dan stylistic codpieces, what about HIDs, 6-speed MTX, IRS, DOHC, VVT, 5.4, etc. that would enhance not only the Stang's actual performance and functionality, but increase its overall performance credibility rather than being seen as a show off's show boat?[/b][/quote]

Right now, if this car did not sell on the basis of its style, we would be hard pressed to even see a Camaro or Challenger concept. It is good that GM and DC put strong performance components right now. It makes an environment where Ford will need to respond to remain competitive.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhumb @ February 11, 2006, 3:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>This diversion of scarce resources is especially troubling given the presence on the near horizon of a new Camaro and Challenger, each likely with a whole suite of real, genuine performance specs (IRS, 400hp motors, 6 speed trannys, etc.) that will represent a huge challenge to the Stang.[/b][/quote]

I agree! However, those cars are not expected to be on the market for at least 24 more months. That is time to continue building Mustang sales momentum (the GT500 will help this). I believe this shows the Ford marketing people there is business viability for continued changes and upgrades. Not only that, if the speculation here is true about a 2009 model year update to the Mustang in late 2008, I see Ford having the time to meet the challenge with a restyled car that could include some of the things you mention - IRS, an NA 5.4L 3V aluminum engine for a model between the GT and GT500, and maybe even improved interior trim to boot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhumb @ February 11, 2006, 3:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Heck, even a Subaru Legacy GT is running 13.7 @ 100mph on the strip with only "250" hp, never mind such cars as the EVO and STI that will run with the Stang in a straight line and evicerate it in real world twisties. The Solstice GXP will have a power to weight ratio equal the GTs and a suspension that makes the Stangs look as crude as it is, all for around $25K.[/b][/quote]

Indeed, these models compete or exceed acceleration or handling-wise but I suspect the market demographics are different enough that cross-shopping would occur less frequently than we might think. The EVO and STI come close, but the styling and character are very different from a Mustang. Also, the price of the Legacy GT starts at around $29,000 without options and the EVO and STI are in the low-to-mid $30,000 range. GM seems to be still not selling the current Solstice fast enough to meet demand, and the GXP will take some time to ramp up before they become more readily available without ADM.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhumb @ February 11, 2006, 3:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>So what's Ford doing to meet these and other performance challenges from all quarters? A surface jewelry package and an overpriced, undercontented GT500, albeit the latter with a big, powerfull motor at least.[/b][/quote]

Other than the vinyl stripes or IRS, what's undercontented about the GT500? It will have a leather dash and Shaker 1000 as options. It's got a powerful engine and strong 14" rotors and Brembe brakes. The concept 19" wheels probably did more for appearance than they would for handling. It's too bad the stripes are painted, but obviously cost played a factor (assembly plant time and capability). As far as the hood not being the same as what was on the concept, it is functional, even if the appearance is not what some wanted.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhumb @ February 11, 2006, 3:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Now if those dumbo ears actually led to cooling ducts to some dual piston Brembos and that hood scoop actually led to the CAI of a 350hp DOHC, i.e., real substance, then I would be all for it. Sadly, that is not the case and all this surface garbage is just stylistic stuffed bras/briefs for posers and pretenders.
[/b][/quote]

I wish there was functionality as well in the GT/CS package. However, style, in my opinion, is what keeps Mustang going for now. I think it also is what causes GM and DC to see that enough people will buy this type of car, if they can play on the heritage of previous, popular nameplates with a modern flair. It is my hope that Mustang will be ready for the competition in the coming years. Of course, this is all one armchair quarterback's interpretation and is maybe worth only 2 cents!
Old 2/11/06, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I don’t even think that Ford realizes what they’ve created, to me the ’05 is like the American everyman's interpretation of the 3 series coupe. Yes it has the retro styling cues, but it also stands on it’s own merit as a very handsome contemporary sport coupe.
Like the original fastback back in it’s time, this is a very clean and honest design that could hold it’s own in any country in the world. A spoilerless coupe would not look out of place parked in the streets of Monte Carlo, Munich, or even Modena! There is no question that it’s American, but it’s the contemporary worldly American, not the ticky- tacky Ron Jeremy hedgehog that the old one was. No offence intended to any owners of the old version, I bought one myself in a moment of 0% finance induced impulsivity.
So here’s the conundrum, IMHO if Ford starts with pasties and codpieces, even as an option, the entire image of the car gets dragged down… It’s like the pretty woman who wear’s too much makeup because she has no self-esteem, would BMW add the fake scoops etc…? I think that the pony option on the V6 is great, if I was buying a V6 I would order it for sure, it doesn't detract, it complements the car! This CS deal is another story altogether though; IMHO, it in no way betters the car, only cheapens it. Trust me, she's a honey Ford, put the trowel away!!!
As others have mentioned, more performance is always better, but above and beyond that I think that they should work on bringing the rest of the car up to the level that the styling has set. Despite the IUP group being very attractive, the rest of the interior definitely leans toward the Hertz end of the scale… What’s with the hard plastic door panels? Why in a $25K car are there no lit vanity mirrors, no trunk release, passenger seat return, or even a dome light? Yes I’ve heard the argument that the money is in the performance, but 300hp from 4.6 litters and a hopping solid rear axle are not exactly rocket science in this day and age, are they?
I am not dissing the car, I’m very happy that I bought mine, I’m only saying you’ve raised the bar, now bring the rest of the car up to the same world-class level!
Like the first Mustang, this car transcends all demographics, everyone from teens right on up love this car, DON’T REGRESS, KEEP MOVING FOREWARD !
I’m done now, I’ll get off the soap box. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Paul

PS. The new Camaro is not for me, IMHO looks too flashy/garish like the last one did... Now the '67~69 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>As others have mentioned, more performance is always better, but above and beyond that I think that they should work on bringing the rest of the car up to the level that the styling has set. Despite the IUP group being very attractive, the rest of the interior definitely leans toward the Hertz end of the scale… What’s with the hard plastic door panels? Why in a $25K car are there no lit vanity mirrors, no trunk release, passenger seat return, or even a dome light? [/b][/quote]

I agree. One of the disappointments of the Mustang is/has always been the lack of refinements. I get into other cars and there are some nice touches that I would love to have in my Mustang.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes I’ve heard the argument that the money is in the performance, but 300hp from 4.6 litters and a hopping solid rear axle are not exactly rocket science in this day and age, are they? [/b][/quote]

I couldn’t agree more. Not withstanding what I said before I would gladly trade these items for honest performance enhancements. Give me a great performance car at a reasonable price and let me handle the styling improvements if I desire them. I believe that Ford has done very well with the Mustang GT this time around but let’s face it, the braking could be better; a 6 speed manual tranny option would be great along with a higher horsepower engine option like the terminator motor or a N/A 5.4 engine. I don’t believe that this would be difficult to do as all the above performance enhancements are basically existing off the self components. When you look at other lines they offer much more in the way of options, with the Mustang you really don’t get many choices. Again, Ford has done really well with the Mustang this time around, but it would not take much to make a mid thirties priced HP version of the GT. Not to mention that Ford makes more money off of the GT than the V6 versions, a higher performance version would allow Ford to make more money with Minimal investment.
I concede the soapbox.
Old 2/12/06, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I think 300hp and 320 ft-lb of torque from 4.6L on 87 octane gas is pretty impressive. However, when you compare the absolute number to other V8 or even some V6 engines, it seems to pale in comparison. That said, if the GT/CS option would bump the power up another 20-25hp but on 91 octane gas, would you pay for it?

Perhaps this is one of the trade-off questions that had to be answered in coming out with the GT/CS.

I agree Ford did good and could do better. A little more interior panache would not have hurt. Some of the newer GM interiors, for example, have better soft touch plastics. Of course, we know there are other cars that improve upon that even more dramatically.

My belief is that improvements overall will continue over the next couple of years, especially if a Camaro and Challenger make it to market. I also think those improvements will be beyond what is here in the GT/CS. We will see.
Old 2/12/06, 11:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(65gtfastback @ February 10, 2006, 11:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My point was of course, (obvious, or so I thought) that the tacky stripe and fake scoop craze reached its garish crescendo in that decade of unparalleled good taste and restraint, the seventies! Sad to say, but I was there...
I thought that the photo of the Mustang II, with more vinyl down the side than a '72 Country Squire, was a good illustration of where the abuse and misuse of polymers can bring us.
Guess I was wrong [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Paul

PS. I now see that your sig says that you have a '68 with the CS dress-up package, enjoy! Any old Mustang is a good Mustang! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I understood what you were saying with the pic, and agree with your point of view. Thats what I love about forums. Since no one can actually hear how these comments are said, they can easily be taken the wrong way or to heart. It wasn't meant as an attack by any means, just as some sacasim between friends.

And yes, sometimes my thong works itself into a frenzy, it's very dangerous and only a trained professional can help me at that point [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustang68w @ February 12, 2006, 1:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I understood what you were saying with the pic, and agree with your point of view. Thats what I love about forums. Since no one can actually hear how these comments are said, they can easily be taken the wrong way or to heart. It wasn't meant as an attack by any means, just as some sacasim between friends.

And yes, sometimes my thong works itself into a frenzy, it's very dangerous and only a trained professional can help me at that point [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Hey no sweat Jake, I like the '68 CS, sorry if it sounded like I was dissing it... Got any pics of yours?
Paul
Old 2/13/06, 11:49 AM
Cobra Member

Considering the Mustang is the only Ford car both the general public and Automotive Magazines love, you would think Ford would do a better job of catering to their potential buyers. All Ford is doing is exquisite feeling release of liquid waste product off potential buyers like myself, buy not releasing an SE with 350-400hp to compete against cars like the GTO. Or at least having an option to drop a 350-400hp engine in the Mustang GT.

GM & DC shouldn't be Ford's motivation for making improvements or releasing Special Mustangs. Their motivation should be guys like me screaming every week on the Net. Guys like me who are ready to spend $29k-34k.
I am not in the market to spend $40k on a Shelby, and if I am forced to wait and save for a Shelby, I am going to be pissed. Not that I bought a Shelby, but because I didn't have an option of a car staged between $25k-$40k.

GM & DC have already done their development. Dropping a 340-425hp motor in their cars is to be expected. Its time for Ford to get their crap together!
Old 2/13/06, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTJOHN @ February 13, 2006, 1:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
GM & DC shouldn't be Ford's motivation for making improvements or releasing Special Mustangs. Their motivation should be guys like me screaming every week on the Net. Guys like me who are ready to spend $29k-34k.
I am not in the market to spend $40k on a Shelby, and if I am forced to wait and save for a Shelby, I am going to be pissed. Not that I bought a Shelby, but because I didn't have an option of a car staged between $25k-$40k.

GM & DC have already done their development. Dropping a 340-425hp motor in their cars is to be expected. Its time for Ford to get their crap together!
[/b][/quote]

I understand where you are coming from John, but the GM and DC cars that are coming out in those HP ranges aren't going to be in the price ranges that you mentioned or at the very least, the upper ranges of that price point. At least that's what I've been reading....

I love this GT/CS...I'm buying one and I'm buying because it'll be a little different than the other GT's out there. Mustangs have always been about personalization to me....just about every guy on this site has done something to mod his Stang to make it his and I'm all for that, even if I don't like the change myself. People can think that I'm being fooled by a tape and sticker or non functional scoop package, but none of that means a thing to me. I like it, plain and simple.

People are also making the arguement that Ford should be spending money on making the Mustang SE's or making the GT's more powerful....but from what I'm reading on this site, Ford is doing that. I'm reading that Ford is coming out with a Mach I or Boss edition Mustang, with upgraded features (read: more horsepower), so I do think that Ford is listening to you and everyone else. Maybe I'm just naive, but I think most of us are just being impatient and want to hear somthing concrete from Ford.

Just my .02....

Can't wait for the first day I can place my order! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Both GM & DC have proved you can build a 340-400hp in the $29k-35k price range - GTO, Charger & 300C. The Camero & Challenger shouldn't be any different. Add an extra $5k for a 425hp SRT Challenger.
Old 2/13/06, 01:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTJOHN @ February 13, 2006, 12:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Considering the Mustang is the only Ford car both the general public and Automotive Magazines love, you would think Ford would do a better job of catering to their potential buyers. All Ford is doing is exquisite feeling release of liquid waste product off potential buyers like myself, buy not releasing an SE with 350-400hp to compete against cars like the GTO. Or at least having an option to drop a 350-400hp engine in the Mustang GT.

[/b][/quote]

According to Brad a Mach1 is already in the works.

Quick Reply: 2007 GT/CS Photos!