Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A whole lot of hatin' going on!

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/08, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I totally agree, as I'm also concerned as to what those flat black panels are going to look like, once they start getting stone chips splattered everywhere. Heck they're going to end up sticking out like a sore thumb. But at least with painted panels, they won't be nearly as noticeable.

In the meantime, once the aftermarket comes out with painted rear valences. Will they also come out with replacement panels, for the rocker moldings, and lower front valences
I'm thinking that the black plastic is unpainted and molded in black, sort of like the Ford Escape with the unpainted bumpers and wheel well moldings. The good news is that it doesn't chip...the bad news is that the sun does a hell of a job of fading it out.
Old 12/9/08, 11:19 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Even Steven
I'm thinking that the black plastic is unpainted and molded in black, sort of like the Ford Escape with the unpainted bumpers and wheel well moldings. The good news is that it doesn't chip...the bad news is that the sun does a hell of a job of fading it out.
So in other words, you're swapping out stone chips for fading lol. I honestly don't know which is worse

If I had to take a guess, I'd have to say that fading would be worse, for it would appear if those black plastic moldings are unpainted. Then re-painting is absolutely out of the question, right ?

On the other hand, I suppose you could always order new ones from Ford providing of course that Ford will still continue to make them, by the time they've become all faded out.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/9/08 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12/9/08, 11:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see why the 05-09's Rocker Trim wouldn't fit. The only major difference is that line that cuts down from the front of the door about half way down the rocker and then cuts back, running the length of the rockers. I'm honestly surprised no one has complained about that little detail yet. I'm sure now that i mentioned it someone will though.

Old 12/10/08, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
I don't see why the 05-09's Rocker Trim wouldn't fit. The only major difference is that line that cuts down from the front of the door about half way down the rocker and then cuts back, running the length of the rockers. I'm honestly surprised no one has complained about that little detail yet. I'm sure now that i mentioned it someone will though.

I don't see why they wouldn't fit either, but what about the lower front molding ? Maybe it's just me, but the 05-09 and 2010 front valence, look altogether different
Old 12/10/08, 12:13 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't see why they wouldn't fit either, but what about the lower front molding ? Maybe it's just me, but the 05-09 and 2010 front valence, look altogether different

Yeah the front and rear are going to have to be an aftermarket item until Ford releases an SE.
Old 12/10/08, 12:29 AM

Actually Shawn, I've been thinking about changing my GT painted Rocker Trim moldings over towards the black plastic ones, from the V-6 models. Because I am so sick and tired of stone chips marking them all up.

But my problem is this, I don't want to swap out my GT front and rear bumpers in exchange for the V-6 styled ones either. As I just want to add the black lower moldings, to my existing GT front and rear bumpers
Old 12/10/08, 12:32 AM

Yeah the front and rear are going to have to be an aftermarket item until Ford releases an SE.
That's what I was afraid of
Old 12/10/08, 01:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Actually Shawn, I've been thinking about changing my GT painted Rocker Trim moldings over towards the black plastic ones, from the V-6 models. Because I am so sick and tired of stone chips marking them all up.

But my problem is this, I don't want to swap out my GT front and rear bumpers in exchange for the V-6 styled ones either. As I just want to add the black lower moldings, to my existing GT front and rear bumpers
If you are talking about changing the ones on your 05 to black any good body shop should be able to mask and paint the lower extensions on the front and rear bumpers in a Matte, or Semi Gloss, Black finish to match the rockers. It would look kinda like a California Special front end. I wouldn't paint the Flares that go over the exhaust on the back myself though, just right up to them. I think it would look good.

As for the rockers I think the GT and Shelby GT-500 are the same piece, which is different at the front on the V6, it doesn't have that little stone deflector.

However, if you just wanna keep it stock and like them painted but are sick of the stone chips, 3M makes a Tough Clear Shield Material that can withstand Stone chips and you would barely even notice it on there. They make a Kit for the entire front end to protect the hood and bumper from stones and bugs, so you should be able to get it cut to fit your rockers.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/10/08 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12/10/08, 02:37 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, I had the Dealer add the Clear Mask to the rockers when they were doing the front and other areas. So far it has worked great. I can feel some scuff from road rocks in the rocker's mask with my hands, but they don't show.
Old 12/10/08, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Even Steven
It may not "chip," but it sure does "pit" and "gouge" easily.
Old 12/10/08, 03:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Now that I think about it my 03' Cobra's rear bumper is similar with the flat black trim. As far as looks and durability go I haven't had any problems with mine then again it isn't a daily driver either. To those of you getting one of these I'd recommend picking up some of that ICE car wax stuff it works great on unpainted plastic.
Old 12/10/08, 10:03 PM
FR500 Member

Until Ford fixes that rear end, even though I want one, I have no plans to buy a new Mustang. That's how bad I think it is.
Old 12/10/08, 10:29 PM

If you are talking about changing the ones on your 05 to black any good body shop should be able to mask and paint the lower extensions on the front and rear bumpers in a Matte, or Semi Gloss, Black finish to match the rockers. It would look kinda like a California Special front end. I wouldn't paint the Flares that go over the exhaust on the back myself though, just right up to them. I think it would look good.

As for the rockers I think the GT and Shelby GT-500 are the same piece, which is different at the front on the V6, it doesn't have that little stone deflector.

However, if you just wanna keep it stock and like them painted but are sick of the stone chips, 3M makes a Tough Clear Shield Material that can withstand Stone chips and you would barely even notice it on there. They make a Kit for the entire front end to protect the hood and bumper from stones and bugs, so you should be able to get it cut to fit your rockers.

Shawn, after reading over you're post. I've decided to just go with the 3M clear shield, instead of fooling around with having my lower rear and front bumper panels painted black. And besides having them repainted, isn't going to stop stone chips anyhow. Therefore, I just might as well do it right, the first time
Old 12/10/08, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
FYI, I had the Dealer add the Clear Mask to the rockers when they were doing the front and other areas. So far it has worked great. I can feel some scuff from road rocks in the rocker's mask with my hands, but they don't show.
After reading over you're post along with Shawn's. That's pretty much what I've decided to do.
Old 12/11/08, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

The black trim seems to really be doing its job in this pic, IMO.

Last edited by zzcoop; 12/11/08 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12/11/08, 08:44 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep, the black trim looks much better when it's no under the harsh motor show lights.
Old 12/11/08, 08:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zzcoop

The car looks good in that pic. It really looks much better in the real world without all those **** poor accessories on it.
Old 12/11/08, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Those Ford Racing accessories make me want to puke. With rage. And lots of it.
Old 12/11/08, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zzcoop

That is the most flattering pic of the rear that I have seen to date. You are right, it doesn't look nearly as bad as all the reveal pics we have been seeing. I still haven't seen a photo that makes the mutton chops look good though.