2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

A whole lot of hatin' going on!

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/08, 04:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
And I'm also quite certain, there are plenty of SN-95 guys whom also think they're cars are so much better than anyone else's as well. As a matter of fact, I've also heard comments from those at local car cruise events who claim that only their Fox's, and SN-95's are the only real Mustangs...Well so **** what, as who really cares..As everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

And I am also personally fed up with those who constantly bash the current S-197's retro styling with their so boring and stale remarks.

The bottom line is this, all you Fox and SN-95 guys have had over 25 years of modern, and non classic 60's design styling, but yet the moment Ford brought the Mustang back to it's original roots and styling heritage for the first time in over 30 years. All the bashing had already begun to take place before the current S-197, had even been in production for less than 3 model years.

Well guess what, now it's time for us baby boomers to enjoy our favorite Mustangs, once again. And I'm sure there's plenty of others, besides just ourselves, who also feel the same way.

Also for those who feel nothing but the need for bashing the current S-197. My question is this, why do you even bother to continue posting in the S-197 forums to begin with.

Although I really wasn't a huge fan of the SN-95's, I also did not bash them. Nor did I ever bash any of Fox generation cars either, for I previously had owned 3 of them.

And so are the 90's. So get over it !

Old 12/8/08, 04:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A scared robot is being nice it looks like a duck bill. Its the Aflac duck!
Old 12/8/08, 04:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bpmurr
Maybe some vinyl pony sickers will help sell this pics for you? lol The car looks awesome in this pic. This is an angle that sells the car in a picture.
I think that the 2010 looks Very Aggressive in that Picture.
Old 12/8/08, 05:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
overall I like the new car. Not as much as the 05-09's.. and quite frankly I don't think a homerun like Ford hit on the 05-09's happens all too often. Love the 10's interior but the overall body more on the 05-09's. I guess I was expecting more with all the hype that was going on before it was introduced. I think the 10's will 'grow' on me when I see on in person tho..
Old 12/8/08, 06:38 AM
Closet American

The '05 to '09 and the 2010+ are really not all that different. Squint and it's almost impossible to tell them apart, especially in profile view.

Where the 2010 shines is in interior quality, amenities and technology packages, and in adopting the Bullitt powertrain, suspension and transmission upgrades. Add to all of that more customizing options direct from Ford, and a 400 HP 5.0L engine arriving in 2011, and you've got a helluva car.

If it had IRS in 2011, too, it'd be **** near perfect.
Old 12/8/08, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
The '05 to '09 and the 2010+ are really not all that different. Squint and it's almost impossible to tell them apart, especially in profile view.

Where the 2010 shines is in interior quality, amenities and technology packages, and in adopting the Bullitt powertrain, suspension and transmission upgrades. Add to all of that more customizing options direct from Ford, and a 400 HP 5.0L engine arriving in 2011, and you've got a helluva car.

In fact, couldn't agree more. IMO 05-09 didn't really push the envelope if you know what I mean, its a great looking car but it was a little too safe (by this I mean it appealed to almost everyone). Let me re-state this now, I think the 05-09 cars looked very nice, but they didn't blow me away. I drive a Mustang because I've loved them for years, good and bad. My Dad has 2 (66' K-code GT Coupe & 1970 Boss 302) classics and I grew up riding in/driving them. I remember thinking as a kid that the reason they were so great wasn't just that they were fun and sounded great, but they didn't look like anything else that I knew of at the time. Fast-forward to 2005, I really thought that the Mustang couldn't look any better but as time went on, I just got tired of seeing so many Mustangs on the road that looked the same.

Like so many things in life, evolution happens, so many people are bashing this car even before they've seen one in person, let alone drive one. Is it really so terrible if this Mustang is engineered/looks slightly differently from the last? I've seen it mentioned that there is some perfect formula for a Mustang but I disagree. Break the mold once in a while if it never happened we'd miss out on both good and bad changes. Before people flip out and call me a blaspheme, I don't want a FWD/4cyl Mustang GT or anything like that, I just don't think that change is a bad thing. Personally I think the lines on the '10 look great. It accentuates an already near perfect design. Like Hollywood, if we get a 5.0L in the future and maybe an IRS, I'm sold. This is all just my .02 and try not to take it too personally everyone.
Old 12/8/08, 12:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Even Steven
They already have the classic appeal of the originals to me simply because they look so much like them. That was the instant appeal for many of owners of the '05 - '09 cars. They were instant classics.

Baby Boomers have nothing to do with it... there will always be younger generations that will find classic Mustangs appealing. Comparing 30's and 40's rods with 60's and 70's muscle cars/pony cars isn't fair. The original Mustang had perfect timing to be part of the golden age of the muscle car. In fact, it helped create that golden age as other muscle cars/pony cars were created in response to its success. I'm Generation X and I've always loved the late 60's Mustangs. There are a ton of people just like me.

Umm yeah it does, I'd say half of the buyers of this current gen Mustang are baby boomers. Just search around in the forums here and see how many people bought there first Mustang since the classic 65-73 era. Don't get me wrong I really like the current car but it now has a more mature buyer than before. To me it seems more like an older guy's car.

Of course when it comes to future values, the rarer the car is, the more value it will hold, all else equal. The same thing is true for anything worth collecting, from classic cars to baseball cards. Back in the day, nobody had any idea that certain items would have such incredible collector value. Now everyone knows better, so there are more people holding on to things that they feel will be valuable in the future. Somehow, my nephews Derek Jeter mint condition rookie card will never be anywhere near as valuable as his slightly worn Babe Ruth card. But none of this really matters to me because I don't care about future values as much as I do about owning a car that is basically a tribute car to the classics that I love so much. Some day I'll get my hands on a '69 Boss 302 or Mach I and rebuild it to perfection.
I bet it will be easier 40 years down the road to find a nice low mile 07-09 GT500 because there should still be a decent amount of them kicking around. Same can be said for the 93-04 Cobras. People are striking gold now with the original muscle cars because so few kept them in good shape.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 12/8/08 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12/8/08, 12:18 PM
Cobra R Member

If what you say concerning the 05-09 cars, as never having the classic appeal of the original classic Mustangs of 65-73, has any value. Then the same also applies for the Fox body cars, for these cars unlike the originals, had also remained pretty much the same during it's entire 14 year production run as well, with the exception of some minor facelifts here and there.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I meant is that the fox body cars will gain classic appeal before the 05-09. Though, in my opinion none will ever have the appeal of the first gen cars. Think about it when was the last time Ford sold 400-600,000 Mustangs in one production year?

Therefore your claim about the Fox bodies becoming the next classic Mustang's, just doesn't hold any real value. Because according to your very same reasons, for which you previously brought up, as to how the 05-09 models will never have the same appeal of the original 65-73 Mustangs. Would also have to apply towards the Fox body cars as well. Otherwise your argument, is totally contradictive.

They will be the next classic because they are the oldest of the current gen Mustangs that actually have a loyal fan base (sorry Mustang II) Once again they won't see the appeal of the originals.

First of all, I just happen to be one of those baby boomers, and at 50 years old. I am in perfect health, and I also intend on being around for quite a long time. So don't even think about trying to kill me off anytime soon.

sorry Rocky, no one cheats death

You asked for differing opinions. Well you just got a couple from this ole geezer
well played sir
Old 12/8/08, 12:27 PM
Cobra R Member

And I'm also quite certain, there are plenty of SN-95 guys whom also think they're cars are so much better than anyone else's as well. As a matter of fact, I've also heard comments from those at local car cruise events who claim that only their Fox's, and SN-95's are the only real Mustangs...Well so **** what, as who really cares..As everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

I personally have not seen that. Maybe it's just in my area but many, not all of the classic Mustang crowd along with the "new classic" crowd seem to have an arrogance about them. I'm not singling anyone out here but there are quite a few guys who make the claim that 79-04 cars are not true Mustangs.

And I am also personally fed up with those who constantly bash the current S-197's retro styling with their so boring and stale remarks.

You won't see me making those remarks, If I say the car is getting stale it is because it is nearing the end of it's production cycle. I felt the same way in 97' and in 03'. I wish we would have all new sheet metal every 3 or 4 years compared to the 5-6 yr mark.

The bottom line is this, all you Fox and SN-95 guys have had over 25 years of modern, and non classic 60's design styling, but yet the moment Ford brought the Mustang back to it's original roots and styling heritage for the first time in over 30 years. All the bashing had already begun to take place before the current S-197, had even been in production for less than 3 model years.

I think part of the reason for that is that the car got so popular so fast that people got sick of seeing it everywhere. I like retro cars, but they tend to have a short life span. I also kinda disagree I think the retro stuff started in 94' but it went to another extreme in 05'.

Well guess what, now it's time for us baby boomers to enjoy our favorite Mustangs, once again. And I'm sure there's plenty of others, besides just ourselves, who also feel the same way.

Why not buy an original 65-73 Mustang?

Also for those who feel nothing but the need for bashing the current S-197. My question is this, why do you even bother to continue posting in the S-197 forums to begin with.

I'm not bashing on it, I'm actually planning on buying one in the not so distant future.

Although I really wasn't a huge fan of the SN-95's, I also did not bash them. Nor did I ever bash any of Fox generation cars either, for I previously had owned 3 of them.

My previous post was not directed toward you

And so are the 90's. So get over it !
I'm not asking for a retro 90s car, I'd rather have something fresh and new!
Old 12/8/08, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
actually I bought mine cash. If I want a 2010 Ill buy one.. No big deal.

Originally Posted by chris8519
psssh. Look at the signatures of all the people who are hating:

THEY ALL DRIVE '05-09 MODELS.

Then look at the people who generally like it (I'm one of them). They drive SN95's.

I think maybe they are a little jealous!

Still gotta pay off the old one, eh?

NOT ME!!! 2011 here I come!

--- but, no, seriously, the rear end is pretty ugly. I've seen it in person (in LA) and it isn't as bad as the photos. But still... the rest of the car is very good looking. And I will be buying one.

And you can take your S197s and keep 'em. Or rather, pay them off first, and then keep them!

Old 12/8/08, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
actually I bought mine cash. If I want a 2010 Ill buy one.. No big deal.
Yep me too. There are just too many little details that I do not like about the 2010 to make me one to buy one. I just don't like the mutton chops on the GT, all the black plastic, especially on the rear and on the GT grill, but I especially don't like the fact that the GT will be giving up over 100hp to the Camaro SS. Hopefully by 2012 all of these things will be corrected by Ford or the aftermarket. I really want to like the Mustang more, and some things I do like better such as the new interior, but if it cost more to mod a GT to make it perform like an SS, then I may have to go back to the Bowtie side. Time will tell I guess...
Old 12/8/08, 05:07 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,787 Posts
Deleted, due to double post

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/8/08 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 12/8/08, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I meant is that the fox body cars will gain classic appeal before the 05-09. Though, in my opinion none will ever have the appeal of the first gen cars. Think about it when was the last time Ford sold 400-600,000 Mustangs in one production year?

They will be the next classic because they are the oldest of the current gen Mustangs that actually have a loyal fan base (sorry Mustang II) Once again they won't see the appeal of the originals.

Thanks for clearing this up, as I had apparently misinterpreted.

sorry Rocky, no one cheats death
Phil,

Of course I realize that nobody cheats death, all I'm saying, is don't kill us baby boomers off prematurely. As I feel pretty sure that once you reach 50, you'll then realize what I mean lol.

well played sir

I also appreciate the well played compliment, although it wasn't my intention to play anybody. As what you see in my posts, are also what you receive from my personality.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/8/08 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12/8/08, 06:50 PM

I personally have not seen that. Maybe it's just in my area but many, not all of the classic Mustang crowd along with the "new classic" crowd seem to have an arrogance about them. I'm not singling anyone out here but there are quite a few guys who make the claim that 79-04 cars are not true Mustangs.
You'll pretty much get the same opinions/remarks, no matter what area you happen to be in. I suppose it's just a matter of being there at the right place, at the right time. But whenever I do hear those remarks, they're usually from the under 30 crowd that are more than likely unaware of the Mustang's history. So I pretty much take those remarks with a grain of salt anyhow.

You won't see me making those remarks, If I say the car is getting stale it is because it is nearing the end of it's production cycle. I felt the same way in 97' and in 03'. I wish we would have all new sheet metal every 3 or 4 years compared to the 5-6 yr mark.

That would really be nice, if they could, but unfortunately in today's economic market. I just don't think it can be done without going over budget.

I think part of the reason for that is that the car got so popular so fast that people got sick of seeing it everywhere. I like retro cars, but they tend to have a short life span. I also kinda disagree I think the retro stuff started in 94' but it went to another extreme in 05'.
The same could also be said for the SN-95 Generation, but yet it did very well in it's 10 year production run. Although it's major restyle in 99, obviously played a huge role as well.

Why not buy an original 65-73 Mustang?

One word, Money. But make no mistake about it, the 67 fastback has always been my favorite Mustang of all time, ever since I was 9 years old.

However by the time I was old enough to drive in the mid 70's. I was unable to afford one even back then. Due mostly because nobody was selling them locally during that time, and for those few that were. They were nothing but rust buckets, that weren't even worth fixing to begin with.

And now, you're looking at anywhere from 30k and up, just towards one which isn't considered a rust bucket.

I also do not have the facilities/equipment, nor have the funding required to put into a major restoration project Phil.

So as a direct result, I had pretty much given up on ever owning my 67 fastback that I had always dreamed about owning someday. That is until Ford came out with the 2005-09 models which changed everything by finally providing me with the opportunity I had been waiting for over 40 years. And even though the new S-197 was not a replica of those 67-68 fastback models, I also knew from that moment on, that my 2005 GT was going to be the closest I was ever going to get to owning one.

Needless to say, I haven't looked back, ever since.

I'm not bashing on it, I'm actually planning on buying one in the not so distant future.
That quote was not directed at you personally, as it was a general statement directed towards all those nay-sayers.

My previous post was not directed toward you
Understood.

I'm not asking for a retro 90s car, I'd rather have something fresh and new!

IMHO, the 50th anniversary edition will end up as an all new and fresh model, from the ground up. I'm also pretty confident, that will be seeing a concept version, sometime around 2011 or 2012. Followed by the production version, in 2014

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/8/08 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12/8/08, 07:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My beef is that Ford didn't improve on the suspension and brakes for the 2010. Ford could have easily given us a Watts Link rear to tide us over until the GRWD platform.

I am still getting used to the exterior looks. The 05 exterior is **** near perfect in my eyes.
Old 12/8/08, 10:10 PM
Banned

Please... does anyone think that the majority of '05 - '09 cars are owned by Baby Boomers? Get real....

Of course the car appeals to Baby Boomers because it looks so much like the Mustangs that were around when they were growing up. But before anyone else says that the majority of owners are Baby Boomers, please check the buyer/owner stats and get back to me with some real figures. There's no way in the world that the majority of '05 - '09 owners are Baby Boomers.
Old 12/9/08, 12:47 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Even Steven
Of course the car appeals to Baby Boomers because it looks so much like the Mustangs that were around when they were growing up.
You mean the original...classic...most coveted...best designed Mustangs?

Yeah, those would be OUR Mustangs alright.

Old 12/9/08, 02:42 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Through the years I have had every generation of the Mustang at some point (except the II). Since I started driving in the early '80s I've always had at least one of the current generation of Mustang. Each time a new body style would come out, I would be jealous and think to myself "man, I can't wait to get one of those!" and eventually I would. I can honestly say that when the '10 arrived, it was the first time that I didn't feel that way and thought to myself that I would rather have the one I am currently driving.

I'm not saying that I hate the new one and won't buy one. I very well may do that at some point, but it will have to really grow on me when I see it in person and it would be in addition to the one I have now, definitely not a replacement.

I love the new interior, the "hips", and the hood. However, the cheap looking plastic down the sides and around the rear end just kills it for me. I can only imagine how crappy that stuff will look after a few years of normal driving. I'm sure it would hold up well on cars like many of us here have (weekend, fair weather, toys) but on a daily driver I expect that it will be faded, chalky, and even more cheap looking than it is now (if that is possible). At least that has been my experience with materials like that on daily drivers.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 12/9/08 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12/9/08, 10:47 PM

You mean the original...classic...most coveted...best designed Mustangs?

Yeah, those would be OUR Mustangs alright.

As you just took the words, right out of my mouth
Old 12/9/08, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I love the new interior, the "hips", and the hood. However, the cheap looking plastic down the sides and around the rear end just kills it for me. I can only imagine how crappy that stuff will look after a few years of normal driving. I'm sure it would hold up well on cars like many of us here have (weekend, fair weather, toys) but on a daily driver I expect that it will be faded, chalky, and even more cheap looking than it is now (if that is possible). At least that has been my experience with materials like that on daily drivers.
I totally agree, as I'm also concerned as to what those flat black panels are going to look like, once they start getting stone chips splattered everywhere. Heck they're going to end up sticking out like a sore thumb. But at least with painted panels, they won't be nearly as noticeable.

In the meantime, once the aftermarket comes out with painted rear valences. Will they also come out with replacement panels, for the rocker moldings, and lower front valences

Quick Reply: A whole lot of hatin' going on!