2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

A whole lot of hatin' going on!

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/08, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole "S197 owners who don't like the '10 are just jealous" thing is way off base. If I liked it and wished I had one I'd say it. Fact is, I don't like it that much. I think it's natural that 05-09 owners may not like it simply because it is BASED ON OUR CAR, but they made changes. If you loved your car to begin with, then someone changed it, chances are you won't like the changes. So the 05-09 owners who loved everything about their car are the ones who don't like the '10. The 05-09 owners who always wished for a more aggressive look are the ones who like the '10. Common sense, not jealousy.

For me personally, the 05-09 was just about perfect. I'm not much for the trend lately of making the front end of cars look purposely angry or sinister, like a furrowed brow. The new Camaro and Challenger have it (although the original Challenger also had it a bit, so it looks more appropriate on the new one), as does the '10 Mustang. It just seems a bit rice to me - "look how mean my car is". (just my opinion - no flaming please). Even the double bulge hood seems like overkill to me. The thing I've always like about the classic stangs and the 05-09 was just how bad *** they looked without even trying. The whole aggressive face thing justs looks cartoonish and trying too hard IMO.

About the only thing i'm jealous of the '10 about is the purported interior quality improvement. I actually like the design of the 05-09 interior better, but it would be nice if the build qulaity was as good as the '10 is supposed to be.

Last edited by Rash; 12/5/08 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12/5/08, 09:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Wink

well, think of it this way guys, when a 2010 pulls up next to one of us, we'll be pretty sure we can "hang" with it, especially those who got a little "sumthin sumthin" under the hood.

Style is a matter of personal preference, but there won't be any performance envy.

Last edited by Rebel73; 12/5/08 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12/5/08, 09:41 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chris8519
psssh. Look at the signatures of all the people who are hating:

THEY ALL DRIVE '05-09 MODELS.

Then look at the people who generally like it (I'm one of them). They drive SN95's.

I think maybe they are a little jealous!

Still gotta pay off the old one, eh?

NOT ME!!! 2011 here I come!

--- but, no, seriously, the rear end is pretty ugly. I've seen it in person (in LA) and it isn't as bad as the photos. But still... the rest of the car is very good looking. And I will be buying one.

And you can take your S197s and keep 'em. Or rather, pay them off first, and then keep them!

Well I won't agree with most of your comments. I have an 05 and yes, it is paid for and yes, I could go and buy the new model if I wanted to however you made a comment that I do agree with. The rear end of the car is ugly and for that reason I won't be getting a new mustang. So for me at least it has nothing to do with jealousy. I comes down to the fact that I simply do not like the looks of the new style, therefore why would I want to buy something that I don't like. I am going to be selling one of my cars next year and had planned on getting another mustang (and keeping my 05) depending on what they revealed. Not being overwhelmed with the design I obviously will be getting something else.
Old 12/5/08, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question You didn’t just say that…

Didn't wait???
You think maybe they are a little jealous!???

Awe Come On Now, you didn’t just say that…

I've been waiting since 1970!!!

In My Humble Opinion, from 1971-2004 they all looked like crap. Ford finally got it right in 2005, that is the reason I bought two 2008 Special Edition Mustangs (That’s bought chris8519, as in paid for, titles in my name and in my hand, not making payments. Sheehs).

The 2005~2009 Mustang was nearly perfect. Like I said when the 2005 came out, anyone who wants a Mustang better get it now, because there is nowhere to go from here but down. As predicted, the 2010 Mustang Seems to be slipping off the other side of the **** near perfect Mustang “pinnacle” of 2005~2009.

Although it is leaps and bounds better than the 1974-2004, it is a small step down from the 2009. Almost every single exterior styling change was a step in the wrong direction, with it's Chevy Avalanche style excessive lower cladding, a tiny grill that looks way too similar to the little Chevy Camaro grill and the Dodge Challenger three-story tall bloated rear quarter panel with the Dodge inspired way too ghetto “Hot Wheels” style tire and wheels and the droopy eyed chopped off front lights that look like a halfassed after thought chop job… I won't even get started about the strange tail lights and rear end.

I’m not a 2010 hater, I would even own one, but I’m not likely to go out and buy one, I've got a lot of miles left in mine. The 2010 is a nice looking Mustang, how could it not be? It is indeed after all a SN197 with some relatively small though less-than-perfect styling changes.

Your “poor-me” whining and strange transfer of your car payment problems on to those of us who bought SN197’s sounds like you are the one with the jealousy problem because you couldn’t buy a 2005~2009 while they were still making them…

Originally Posted by stangrider98
Originally Posted by chris8519
psssh. Look at the signatures of all the people who are hating:

THEY ALL DRIVE '05-09 MODELS.

Then look at the people who generally like it (I'm one of them). They drive SN95's.

I think maybe they are a little jealous!

Still gotta pay off the old one, eh?

NOT ME!!! 2011 here I come!

--- but, no, seriously, the rear end is pretty ugly. I've seen it in person (in LA) and it isn't as bad as the photos. But still... the rest of the car is very good looking. And I will be buying one.

And you can take your S197s and keep 'em. Or rather, pay them off first, and then keep them!

yea ive noticed that as well, its almost as if they are mad they didnt wait and they are trying to make themselves feel better. ill miss my 98 but i am ready for a new 2010/11 stang
Attached Thumbnails A whole lot of hatin' going on!-10faults.jpg  

Last edited by Black GT500; 12/5/08 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12/5/08, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

To me, historically, it's like the 1958 Impala. A real tough act to follow after the clean looking 55-57. I don't think the 2010+ Mustang will be a majority favorite, but it's OK with me (Love the new interior!)
TampaBay I do like the Torch Red 10 with the side scoop, subtle and it finishes off the "hockey stick/C" nicely.
Old 12/5/08, 02:34 PM
GT Member

quoteski:
"Your “poor-me” whining and strange transfer of your car payment problems on to those of us who bought SN197’s sounds like you are the one with the jealousy problem because you couldn’t buy a 2005~2009 while they were still making them… "

Uh, I wasn't whining, just making an observational joke. I think it is pretty cool when there are different factions within the mustang community. Truly, it shows what a great car it has been overall.

And, for the record, I COULD buy a sn197. I love those cars, I admit. And if I loved it enough, I would go out and buy one. They are really REALLY cheap with the sale Ford has right now.

But I had miles left on my sn95 (that I too paid CASH for and had no payment)the same way YOU have miles left on your sn197, and didn't purchase that body style... now my time has come in the 2010 era.

Ultimately, I think I was commenting on the cyclical nature of buying a mustang-- they way they last, an owner gets a new one ever OTHER body style. And then he swears it is perfection.

This will probably change when the 2014s are out. Then the tables will be turned. I can see it already:
me:
"man, those '14s are crap. Can't replace my 2011!!!"
the 05-09 guys:
"what!? the '14 is GREAT! I'm going to buy one!"

So we will have to see. But jealousy!? I like the 05s. I was going to buy one THIS YEAR-- until I saw the 2011s. :P

In the end I was just joking. Sheesh!

Last edited by chris8519; 12/5/08 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12/5/08, 02:36 PM
Cobra R Member

The more I look at that front end, the more it looks like King Kong grabbed a hold of a '05-'09 S197 and sat on it.

I mean, really, there is no significant style advancement here, if any. How do you improve on near perfection?

I mean, what's better than a grand slam? Exactly!

Last edited by Rebel73; 12/5/08 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12/5/08, 04:18 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rebel73
The more I look at that front end, the more it looks like King Kong grabbed a hold of a '05-'09 S197 and sat on it.

I mean, really, there is no significant style advancement here, if any. How do you improve on near perfection?

I mean, what's better than a grand slam? Exactly!
I largely agree here if talking about the exterior - it's evolutionary, not revolutionary...and I like both. How could you not? They're SO close.

The interior, however, different story: The 2010 is much nicer, and with all the added technology and amenity packages, even better still. Add a 400HP engine in 2011, and the choice is clear.
Old 12/5/08, 04:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I largely agree here if talking about the exterior - it's evolutionary, not revolutionary...and I like both. How could you not? They're SO close.

The interior, however, different story: The 2010 is much nicer, and with all the added technology and amenity packages, even better still. Add a 400HP engine in 2011, and the choice is clear.
Well, in 2011, I'll just have to add another pony to the stable!
Old 12/5/08, 05:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm SURE all of the Camaro Lovers and Challenger Lovers that are cruising our Forums are Eating All This Up! It's Bad Enough that the 2010's are going to have less HP that Either of their Cars, giving them room to Gloat, but to see us all turning on each other like Rabid Dogs, and so many talking about Abandoning Ship, They Must Be Pissing Themselves and Rolling On the Floor Laughing at How We are All Attacking Ourselves, The Mustang Community.
Old 12/5/08, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
I'm SURE all of the Camaro Lovers and Challenger Lovers that are cruising our Forums are Eating All This Up! It's Bad Enough that the 2010's are going to have less HP that Either of their Cars, giving them room to Gloat, but to see us all turning on each other like Rabid Dogs, and so many talking about Abandoning Ship, They Must Be Pissing Themselves and Rolling On the Floor Laughing at How We are All Attacking Ourselves, The Mustang Community.
I went to the LA show with my friend "Corvette John" and he hates the new Camaro.
Not everyone likes it. I think the Challenger looks bloated (look at the black lower trim. Without it, it would look really PORKY).
So the Camaro and Challenger will have a HP advantage for a year? There's always the SC'd version....and the Cobra. BFD. And there's the 5.0 in 2011.

The Mustang Community is NOT 100% in agreement, it never has been.
Old 12/5/08, 06:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't think any of us are turning on each other. We just have opinions about the car. The picture that BlackGT500 posted of the '10 along with the camaro and challenger offers a good comparsion between those cars. And truthfully the '10 looks pretty nice in black. But nothing is really grabbing me about this car. If I liked it I would buy.

Like BlackGT500 I hated all the mustangs from '74 till '04. The moment I saw the '05 I knew I had to have one. And I went out and got a GT. I wanted a Bullitt and was one of the 1st to place and order for one. Something just kept calling me towards the GT500 and I traded my Bullitt in on a new '08 GT500.
If I thought the '10 was better I would've waited and got one.
I can't see getting rid of my GT500 anytime soon- it really is something I could keep forever.

To all of those getting a '10 or looking to get one- Congrats and enjoy it!
I think the '10 will sell okay, but Ford will face stiff competition from the camaro and challenger- simple math tells you that with those 2 cars now on the market Mustang sales will suffer.
Of course maybe none of the Big 3 will survive and we will have seen the last of American Muscle.
Old 12/5/08, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think any of us are turning on each other. We just have opinions about the car. The picture that BlackGT500 posted of the '10 along with the camaro and challenger offers a good comparsion between those cars. And truthfully the '10 looks pretty nice in black. But nothing is really grabbing me about this car. If I liked it I would buy.
true... my 06 is paid-off, just certain thing on the 10 i dont like.
Old 12/5/08, 07:49 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Whammer

Like BlackGT500 I hated all the mustangs from '74 till '04. The moment I saw the '05 I knew I had to have one. And I went out and got a GT. I wanted a Bullitt and was one of the 1st to place and order for one. Something just kept calling me towards the GT500 and I traded my Bullitt in on a new '08 GT500.
If I thought the '10 was better I would've waited and got one.
I can't see getting rid of my GT500 anytime soon- it really is something I could keep forever.

To all of those getting a '10 or looking to get one- Congrats and enjoy it!
I think the '10 will sell okay, but Ford will face stiff competition from the camaro and challenger- simple math tells you that with those 2 cars now on the market Mustang sales will suffer.
Of course maybe none of the Big 3 will survive and we will have seen the last of American Muscle.
Wait a sec, 'Mr. Bullitt' traded his Bullitt for a GT500...? After all the protestations about how wonderful the Bullitt was?

Guess it wasn't all you'd hoped after all, huh?
Old 12/5/08, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
I like the 2010 but its got an ugly Ars. And I like a nice Ars.
Old 12/5/08, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GrnT
I like the 2010 but its got an ugly Ars. And I like a nice Ars.
Maybe it's just me but, I think the 05-09 has an ugly ars too!

I see these cars being so similar looking that i'm surprised how much so people dislike it.
Old 12/5/08, 09:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
And there's nothing wrong with that. It just shows the passion that Mustang fans have.... They can lick each other's asses all day long, slobbering all over themselves for all I care. In the meantime, us Mustang guys will continue to argue and debate what we like and don't like about all models/years of Mustangs.
Old 12/5/08, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
...or get a couple if you really like it enough to be content with it for the rest of your life
Seeing that pic made me think of Mickey Rourke's character in "9 1/2 Weeks."
Old 12/6/08, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

The Bullitt is awesome!

The Bullitt is awesome! Best $3000 package Ford ever put out. But if anyone wants to spend another $15000-$20000+ to join the factory 500 horsepower club, why should that be a problem for you?

I think the Bullitt and the GT500 are both OUTSTANDING Special Edition Mustangs, and I put my money where my mouth is, so did Whammer.

You just like stirring crap don't you?

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Wait a sec, 'Mr. Bullitt' traded his Bullitt for a GT500...? After all the protestations about how wonderful the Bullitt was?

Guess it wasn't all you'd hoped after all, huh?
Old 12/6/08, 02:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black GT500
The Bullitt is awesome! Best $3000 package Ford ever put out.
I beg to differ - it was the 2003-04 Mach 1, but I am biased since I have one!

Quick Reply: A whole lot of hatin' going on!