2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Who manufacturers the MT-82 trans.?

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/10, 08:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, that's my concern as well. I wish Ford/Gertag had set up their Trans factory either in the USA, or Germany. I would feel better about the quality of the Trans in our cars. I mean so far it's good, but what about in a couple of years? Will it hold up?

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Actually thats not entirely true. My father works for Converse and has repeated problems with shoes being shipped over here because the manufacturers over there decide to use different materials to make more money even when they are given a certain set of standards. He himself has to go over there once a year for 2 weeks and go through all the factories to make sure theyre doing what they're supposed to do. They also send someone over every month or so to do the same thing.

Maybe since we're talking cars, not shoes it might be a little different. But just thought i would share what he's told me before. Outsourcing the manufacturing is getting increasingly harder on companies, especially when it comes to china.
Old 8/12/10, 10:05 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You know why the British drink their beer warm?

...because Lucas makes their refrigerators

Old 8/12/10, 10:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This reminds me of the QC that Kicker has to go through since they started outsourcing work to China and Korea. They would send guys over seas all the time for Quality Control and it took a while for the products to be built to spec. Some of the before shots looked like something that belonged in a dollar store. Awful. I guess that's what you have to do when you outsource. Let's hope Ford continually checks the quality of those tranny's before they are shipped.
Old 8/12/10, 10:39 AM

Yes, I've heard some horror stories about airplane parts, and even sections of a jetliner that would have to be reworked when they come in from China. Not good!

Originally Posted by Automagically
This reminds me of the QC that Kicker has to go through since they started outsourcing work to China and Korea. They would send guys over seas all the time for Quality Control and it took a while for the products to be built to spec. Some of the before shots looked like something that belonged in a dollar store. Awful. I guess that's what you have to do when you outsource. Let's hope Ford continually checks the quality of those tranny's before they are shipped.
Old 8/12/10, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
By the time my father goes to china and back, including the hotels, translaters, food, etc. it costs his company over $20k for 2 weeks. Thats just 1 person. I would bet the cost of QC as a whole is going to catch up to what it would cost to just manufactur products elsewhere.
Old 8/12/10, 10:42 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You know why the British drink their beer warm?

...because Lucas makes their refrigerators
Not any more, Lucas went belly-up quite a while back now...
Old 8/12/10, 10:47 AM

Yes I agree. They never take that in consideration however.

Wouldn't it have been better to "in source" that same factory into a state that has been hit by high unemployment? In this eceonomy that would find plenty of workers that would do a quality job.

By the time my father goes to china and back, including the hotels, translaters, food, etc. it costs his company over $20k for 2 weeks. Thats just 1 person. I would bet the cost of QC as a whole is going to catch up to what it would cost to just manufactur products elsewhere.
Old 8/12/10, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

This makes me even more glad that I opted for the auto in my car lol
Old 8/12/10, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

so noone really knows how to pronounce Getrag, do they?
Old 8/12/10, 11:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah, I know about similar information with traveling engineers. It's humorous the amount spent and even down to the travel arrangements themselves and how they are made. Price per unit, it all amazes me.

Working for defense aviation it is just as interesting to see how money is spent and when you think about a product and how much goes into research, development, testing and delivery you realize why the costs are so high. Not to mention the "little guys" that do much of the COTS work. Some great American companies out there. It ain't cheap though. It's kind of like, well, do you want it done right? Or just done?

Funny thing about Kicker is that if you break it, it comes back to Oklahoma and then it's fixed by in house techs.
Old 8/12/10, 11:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by dragstart
so noone really knows how to pronounce Getrag, do they?
I just say it "Get-Rag" if it's wrong. I'm American.
Old 8/12/10, 11:50 AM

You are correct, it is pronounced Get-rag.

This is not mustang related but I was into fieros for years and the 5 speed Getrag trans (Designated the MT-282) they used was only rated for 250 ft/lbs. However, there are hundreds of them that have been mated to SBC's and Grand prix GTP motors pushing over 400 ft/lbs and lasting for years. And that is with the car being mid engine and having over 50% of the cars weight on the rear tires on hard launches creating more stress on the trans. than a front engine car could ever induce with the same amount of power.

SO as long as the new MT-82 is built to the Getrag specs I would say they will hold up to much more than it is "rated" for.

But who knows until more cars have been put to the test.
Old 8/12/10, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RhinoGT
You are correct, it is pronounced Get-rag.

This is not mustang related but I was into fieros for years and the 5 speed Getrag trans (Designated the MT-282) they used was only rated for 250 ft/lbs. However, there are hundreds of them that have been mated to SBC's and Grand prix GTP motors pushing over 400 ft/lbs and lasting for years. And that is with the car being mid engine and having over 50% of the cars weight on the rear tires on hard launches creating more stress on the trans. than a front engine car could ever induce with the same amount of power.

SO as long as the new MT-82 is built to the Getrag specs I would say they will hold up to much more than it is "rated" for.

But who knows until more cars have been put to the test.
I agree, just love your transmission, don't treat it like a French H**ker and you will be in good business. If not then upgrade a few parts, get a better fly wheel and clutch assembly, maybe an aluminum drive shaft and that should help things out. Tranny cooler maybe.
The following users liked this post:
area5179 (5/1/23)
Old 6/23/22, 11:38 AM

A big cooler and upgraded flywheel/ clutch will help but even with those, the mt82 is far from a tough transmission. That's my opinion at least but I am a little biased as I just had to whip out 3500 bucks for a remanufactured mt82 I got from these guys, https://reman-transmission.com/trans...des/?code=MT82. Saved a little money and did the replacement at a buddy of mine's garage that has a lift. Hopefully, this one will last more than longer than 72k miles but fingers crossed, lol
Old 6/23/22, 02:23 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Just a heads up newb! The last activity on this thread was from 12 years ago.. Therefore, it's very unlikely you'll end up receiving a response from any of the original posters
The following users liked this post:
area5179 (5/1/23)