Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

american muscle and customer support

Old 9/1/15, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with american muscle

Just sharing an issue iv been having with american muscle for the past few weeks.

I ordered a set of ford racing sport axle backs for my daily driver 14 v6 and about a week later I got them. Excited to get them on and hear what they sound like, I noticed the set I received had the chrome chipping of the tips pretty severely, and also they just didn't fit on the drivers side. I contacted american muscle, they said they will send out another set to me and I just have to ship these back with the ups label they provided. Sweet customer service I thought.

Over a week later, I get my new set. First thing I do is inspect them for any chipping on the tips, blemishes etc. Everything seemed really good. I put them on, or try to, and once again I have the same issue: drivers side not fitting at all, meaning it doesn't align with the bumper cutout, it doesn't want to connect with the stock exhaust piping, and the hangars are barely hanging on. All while the passenger side is perfect. Just like the first time. Both sets manufactured march of 2015.

After messing around with it and bending the hangars, I wasn't able to get it to fit anything better. I took it to a muffler shop and they spent some time bending the hangars. They were surprised the fitment was this terrible and they said they would have to cut and weld to get it to fit right. Frustrated about this whole process, I said f*ck it, just get it to fit right.

I contacted american muscle once again letting them know of the situation and they said they would contact ford racing and get back to me. I also sent an email explaining everything in detail with pictures. I call again a few days, since they never called me, and I never got an email back from them. They once again told me that they are still waiting on the manufacturer before they can see what they can do to make me a happy customer. I also sent a follow up email that day, with some more pictures.

Fast forward to today. I call them and they tell me theres nothing they can do. Stating I was told last week when I called because the part has been modified they cannot do anything. Well when I called last week that didn't happen. They told me they were still waiting on a response. Which is not true. And to this day they never answered my emails. And gave me the answer of its their policy that if an item has been altered they cant do anything about it.

And I somewhat understand that. I had no intention of returning the item in the first place. But when i received a defective item that was chipping and didn't fit I needed it exchanged. The second time around there were no blemishes but the fitment was **** just the first time around. Note, fitment both times was great on passenger side on my STOCK exhaust, but not on the drivers side. Two sets of axlebacks both with the exact same issue. Both manufactured in MARCH of 2015. However, I think some sort of compensation with either a store credit or a refund for the amount of money I had to spend to get the part to fit right would have been the correct thing to do. They tell me theres nothing they can do.

So after spending $660 on the part, and $80 at the shop i got a great sounding exhaust. However I had to wait over a week to get it the first time after shelling out the $660, then return it and having the deal with that whole thing, then wait another week. Waste more time and still not get it to fit right. Have to spend more time and money at the muffler shop.

And these people can't even offer me a store credit of $80 or anything else to cover this whole frustration. Terrible customer service in my opinion.

Also, I don't believe they ever contacted the manufacturer and considering they never called me and ignored my emails, I am assuming they were waiting for me to just go away. Its not even about the money its about the principle.

I also posted a very positive review on their website about the part and their customer service initially but stated that the fitment required modification, and they never published me review. Funny.
Old 9/1/15, 05:40 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I haven't had any problems with 'any' of the Mustang parts vendors on this site. I think your drivers side exhaust just 'might' be ****ed up. In my opinion, i would be 'more' mad at Ford Racing. Just my opinion
Old 9/1/15, 06:04 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Merged threads and deleted doble posts. No need to make multiple threads in different sections . . .
Old 9/1/15, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed with the above post. Seems like a QA issue with the part itself. AM is just the vendor and they have no say in what they receive from the manufacturer. Were there any bad customer reviews of the parts you ordered mentioning fitment issues? Did you check on other forums or other vendor sites for reviews of the same product?

Regarding their spotty or no calls back, i have had the same issues. I wanted to spend 5k for a procharger but since they didnt call me back i went with a different vendor and got it for less than AM would have sold it for. So their loss was for sure my gain in that instance.
Old 9/1/15, 06:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
american muscle and customer support

The alignment of the over axle pipes makes all the difference....
Old 9/1/15, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by David Young
I haven't had any problems with 'any' of the Mustang parts vendors on this site. I think your drivers side exhaust just 'might' be ****ed up. In my opinion, i would be 'more' mad at Ford Racing. Just my opinion
I haven't had an issue with american muscle before this either. And considering i purchased the car brand new, i doubt my drivers side stock piping is messed up. Now i am dissappointed with the fitment from ford racing, however being ignored with 3 separate emails to american muscle, along with never giving me a call, thats what I'm much more mad about.

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Merged threads and deleted doble posts. No need to make multiple threads in different sections . . .
Thank you.
Old 9/1/15, 02:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Your car being new is irrelevant, it's worth a look to see if your exhaust is incorrect or damaged.
Old 9/1/15, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
Agreed with the above post. Seems like a QA issue with the part itself. AM is just the vendor and they have no say in what they receive from the manufacturer. Were there any bad customer reviews of the parts you ordered mentioning fitment issues? Did you check on other forums or other vendor sites for reviews of the same product?

Regarding their spotty or no calls back, i have had the same issues. I wanted to spend 5k for a procharger but since they didnt call me back i went with a different vendor and got it for less than AM would have sold it for. So their loss was for sure my gain in that instance.

Based on what i read the part should have fit without too much trouble. And we are talking about ford racing by borla here. You would just expect it to fit at least somewhat correctly.

So currently its been 3 emails later and still no repsonse from them. Not to mention that when I called this week, they told me that last week I was informed that theres nothing they can do. Which wasnt the case. I was told that I would be called once they heard back from the manufacturer. And i never got any call either.
Old 9/1/15, 03:43 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ sigh... sorry to hear that OP. Said it before, will say it again... Given your vendor of choice, I'm not at all surprised with your experiences nor with their method of taking care of you now. Good luck getting through it. Just remember to make a smarter choice next time. Plenty others out there that are actually good.
Old 9/1/15, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ sigh... sorry to hear that OP. Said it before, will say it again... Given your vendor of choice, I'm not at all surprised with your experiences nor with their method of taking care of you now. Good luck getting through it. Just remember to make a smarter choice next time. Plenty others out there that are actually good.
I never heard anything bad about AM until now. And before I never had issues with them. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 9/1/15, 06:01 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but since your mufflers are made by Borla I had a similar experience with my Borla touring's. My passenger side fit perfect but couldn't get the drivers side to fit right. I took pictures and emailed Borla. They promptly shipped me a new pair and they fit perfect. Maybe you should contact Ford Racing?
I also have never had a bad experience with AM.
Old 9/1/15, 06:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
cliff notes please
Old 9/1/15, 06:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

oh what the heck how about some pictures too
Old 9/2/15, 06:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by radio
Just sharing an issue iv been having with american muscle for the past few weeks.

I ordered a set of ford racing sport axle backs for my daily driver 14 v6 and about a week later I got them. Excited to get them on and hear what they sound like, I noticed the set I received had the chrome chipping of the tips pretty severely, and also they just didn't fit on the drivers side. I contacted american muscle, they said they will send out another set to me and I just have to ship these back with the ups label they provided. Sweet customer service I thought.

Over a week later, I get my new set. First thing I do is inspect them for any chipping on the tips, blemishes etc. Everything seemed really good. I put them on, or try to, and once again I have the same issue: drivers side not fitting at all, meaning it doesn't align with the bumper cutout, it doesn't want to connect with the stock exhaust piping, and the hangars are barely hanging on. All while the passenger side is perfect. Just like the first time. Both sets manufactured march of 2015.

After messing around with it and bending the hangars, I wasn't able to get it to fit anything better. I took it to a muffler shop and they spent some time bending the hangars. They were surprised the fitment was this terrible and they said they would have to cut and weld to get it to fit right. Frustrated about this whole process, I said f*ck it, just get it to fit right.

I contacted american muscle once again letting them know of the situation and they said they would contact ford racing and get back to me. I also sent an email explaining everything in detail with pictures. I call again a few days, since they never called me, and I never got an email back from them. They once again told me that they are still waiting on the manufacturer before they can see what they can do to make me a happy customer. I also sent a follow up email that day, with some more pictures.

Fast forward to today. I call them and they tell me theres nothing they can do. Stating I was told last week when I called because the part has been modified they cannot do anything. Well when I called last week that didn't happen. They told me they were still waiting on a response. Which is not true. And to this day they never answered my emails. And gave me the answer of its their policy that if an item has been altered they cant do anything about it.

And I somewhat understand that. I had no intention of returning the item in the first place. But when i received a defective item that was chipping and didn't fit I needed it exchanged. The second time around there were no blemishes but the fitment was **** just the first time around. Note, fitment both times was great on passenger side on my STOCK exhaust, but not on the drivers side. Two sets of axlebacks both with the exact same issue. Both manufactured in MARCH of 2015. However, I think some sort of compensation with either a store credit or a refund for the amount of money I had to spend to get the part to fit right would have been the correct thing to do. They tell me theres nothing they can do.

So after spending $660 on the part, and $80 at the shop i got a great sounding exhaust. However I had to wait over a week to get it the first time after shelling out the $660, then return it and having the deal with that whole thing, then wait another week. Waste more time and still not get it to fit right. Have to spend more time and money at the muffler shop.

And these people can't even offer me a store credit of $80 or anything else to cover this whole frustration. Terrible customer service in my opinion.

Also, I don't believe they ever contacted the manufacturer and considering they never called me and ignored my emails, I am assuming they were waiting for me to just go away. Its not even about the money its about the principle.

I also posted a very positive review on their website about the part and their customer service initially but stated that the fitment required modification, and they never published me review. Funny.

Radio - I'm sorry about the delay and inconvenience. I saw your other thread on MustangEvolution that was deleted by a moderator and I went ahead and had the $80 refunded.

You're going to have a credit notice in your email as we speak and you should see this back into your account in 3-5 days.

Please let me know if you're to have any other questions and I apologize about the delay, I was offsite ill yesterday.

Alex
Old 9/2/15, 06:50 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by backin15
Not sure if this helps, but since your mufflers are made by Borla I had a similar experience with my Borla touring's. My passenger side fit perfect but couldn't get the drivers side to fit right. I took pictures and emailed Borla. They promptly shipped me a new pair and they fit perfect. Maybe you should contact Ford Racing?
I also have never had a bad experience with AM.
Note to the above poster and also to the OP...

Please note my experience with Borla as well. Their customer service was great (unlike your other vendor of choice), but their product defect/quality was too much to overcome. Weld cracking and fitment issues (I went through 4 sets) did me over. I switched to Corsas and never looked back. That being said, if Borla contained their defects, and corrected their quality issues, I wouldn't hesitate to go with them again. Working with David Borla himself, he's a good guy.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ighlight=borla

Pay attention to post #27 particularly...that's when the pictures start. Then read on through.

Last edited by FromZto5; 9/2/15 at 06:52 AM.
Old 9/2/15, 10:02 AM

I appreciate AM Alex Lazarus reaching out to me and getting a response from the american muscle team. He is doing what he can to correct the issue, and I will be getting a portion refunded back to my credit card.
Old 9/2/15, 07:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
See, I had NO issues with AM when the Koni's were getting screwed up for delays, and then the boxes got shipped badly. Refunded, no issues. Kept the fronts, they seemed to be ok, but the rears were a mess.

For what it's worth, and what Alex just did is just reinforcing the fact... they're not bad people.

Would shop again. And will.
Old 9/4/15, 11:14 PM
GT Member

Just wanted to thank the mods / admins of TMS for letting threads like these live. I have had nothing to do with the posts above, but having seen a "No bad words against our site sponsors" on competing Mustang forums, I'm glad TMS is not going that route.
Old 9/5/15, 01:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Amen. I'm a happy customer of AM (Have spent thousands, plan to spend thousands more, never had an issue myself), and a happy member of TMS. Favorite car forum, and I've been a member of at least 30+ in the past (primarily as a lurker). Glad to see Alex and AM taking care of it, as has always been the case in my experience, and glad to see TMS not going the censor-route like so many other forums, as stated above.
Old 9/5/15, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well Yea

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: american muscle and customer support