Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/15, 01:54 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
CAI question

I'm thinking about an Airaid CAI that does not require a tune.

Can anyone explain the difference between the Synthaflow oiled filter and SynthaMax dry filter CAI's other than the color of the filter?

Any other suggestions or pros/cons of the Airaid vs. another manufacturer?
Old 9/16/15, 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think pros/cons really matter at this point when buying a CAI that doesn't require a tune. IMO, you'd be really getting a tuneless CAI to dress up your engine bay and for a little bit extra suction sound.

if I were to invest in a CAI, Airaid would be on top of my list! Good luck Tom, let us know what you decide.

Never really looked into oiled filters VS dry filters. Back in my day when I used a CAI on my previous Acura's I used dry filters and just tossed them after so many miles of use and just bought a new one. I know that oiled filters are washable. i'm sure that the dry ones are as well... I think..
Old 9/17/15, 04:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.airaidsales.com/article-s...explained.aspx

Chart at the bottom. Looks like the main difference is the oiled one allows more airflow than the non-oiled. Non-oiled is just remove, wash/dry, replace, without the need to pay for the oil (less upkeep).

I went with AIRAID on my 13', but had to switch to JLT when I traded it in for my 12 (avatar), because AIRAID doesn't make a CAI for the TVS blower. IMO, fit an finish of the AIRAID is better than most I've seen and used.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 9/17/15 at 04:46 AM.
Old 9/17/15, 06:03 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I used the Steeda CAI on mine prior to joining the dark side. It required a tune though. I think they now have an insert that reduces the inside diameter so that you don't need a tune. If you decide you're ready for a tune, you just pull the insert.
Old 9/17/15, 07:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes, we have a unit that is the best of both worlds! You can run this without a tune & in the future, if you are looking to upgrade & tune your car, then you can remove the insert & run it with a tune.

http://www.steeda.com/2011-2014-cold-air-intakes/

A 'normal' air filter is paper with a bunch of hole poked in it.

Our Steeda filter is a cotton-gauze material that is much less restrictive than paper.

The oil is used to trap the dirt and protect the filter underneath.

For a test, take a piece of paper and poke some very small holes in it ... then cover your mouth with the paper and try to breath while running down the street. Your top speed and performance will suffer since your air intake is restricted.

Now take a cotton cloth and put it over your mouth ...right away it is much easier to breath.

Your car is the same.

Even the best paper filters cannot flow as much air as a cotton one.

Let me know if I can help assist with a Steeda CAI ... we have great forum pricing available.

Best Regards,

TJ