Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What would the 2010 have to have for you to buy/trade up???

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/08, 05:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point is I was trying to make ( poorly ) is the carryover greenhouse may not factor into your decision. The GRWD platform is under review, so do not expect a greenhouse change in '14 either:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/14/u...oost-on-the-w/

True, I am a newbie to this site under this log-in name, but I have a source (no pun intended) that gives me a straight from the mouth info. ( no confidential info i.e. pictures/images is compromised, they just know I am a Mustang nut and we are former design colleauges. We've been discussing the S197 since 2001.) So discussing the same topic a million times doesn't mean anyone knows more about the car than anyone else. The RWD program is under serious review- economies of scale and gas prices that killed RWD Impala at GM may kill RWD Interceptor/MKR/new IRS Mustang @ Ford.

In any case, sorry to have offended you. When reading my wording, I see how you interpreted it, so I apologize... We're all in this together, we want a good new Mustang to carry on the lineage. I just don't want to see everyone expecting more than what we're gonna get ( which will be a great competitor to the Camaro and Challenger, I believe. ) Don't go hatin' the 2010 until you've seen it- carryover greenhouse and all

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
First of all, I'm very well aware of this topic being discussed a million times in these forums. As a matter of fact, I was involved in many of these discussions long before you ever became a member of this website. Therefore the last thing I need, is to be lectured by a Newbie such as yourself.

That being said, if your so offended that I brought this topic up again, then just don't bother submitting a reply. It's really just that simple.

In addition, if you had also bothered to read over my entire post. You would've noticed that I clearly stated, the 2010-11 will NOT feature a full/true fastback !

Last edited by gnat-sum; 7/22/08 at 05:58 PM.
Old 7/22/08, 09:11 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Originally Posted by gnat-sum
The point is I was trying to make ( poorly ) is the carryover greenhouse may not factor into your decision. The GRWD platform is under review, so do not expect a greenhouse change in '14 either:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/14/u...oost-on-the-w/

True, I am a newbie to this site under this log-in name, but I have a source (no pun intended) that gives me a straight from the mouth info. ( no confidential info i.e. pictures/images is compromised, they just know I am a Mustang nut and we are former design colleauges. We've been discussing the S197 since 2001.) So discussing the same topic a million times doesn't mean anyone knows more about the car than anyone else. The RWD program is under serious review- economies of scale and gas prices that killed RWD Impala at GM may kill RWD Interceptor/MKR/new IRS Mustang @ Ford.

In any case, sorry to have offended you. When reading my wording, I see how you interpreted it, so I apologize... We're all in this together, we want a good new Mustang to carry on the lineage. I just don't want to see everyone expecting more than what we're gonna get ( which will be a great competitor to the Camaro and Challenger, I believe. ) Don't go hatin' the 2010 until you've seen it- carryover greenhouse and all
It's not that you personally offended me. However even after I had clearly stated that the current greenhouse was going to carry over to the 2010, you did not acknowledge this by your response. So I don't know if you somehow overlooked it, or perhaps misinterpreted my post altogether.

But at any rate: Yes, I'm well aware there will be no greenhouse changes, which was why I clearly stated that I'll be holding onto my current 05 GT, until at least the next major platform change takes place on the all new GRWD platform sometime in 2014-15.

Although I'm looking very forward to the 2010 revealing. It's going to take far more than just hips, and a 400HP powerplant, before I'll ever consider giving up my current 05. Which was really the point in which I was attempting to get across.

And if in the event the 2014-15 does not offer a full/true fastback. It also will not be enough to convince me in getting rid of my 05 GT. In other words, the only way I'll part with it. Is if Ford brings back the full fastback, which we all know isn't going to happen anytime in the near future, or perhaps even at all for that matter. I suppose it was all just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 7/22/08, 10:03 PM
GT Member

Although I'm looking very forward to the 2010 revealing. It's going to take far more than just hips, and a 400HP powerplant, before I'll ever consider giving up my current 05. Which was really the point in which I was attempting to get across.
Agreed. From what I heard, the new one makes the 2005 lookold and straight edged, and the new interior kicks the old one to the rubbermaid trash bin. Apparently lots of nice interior stuff.

And if in the event the 2014-15 does not offer a full/true fastback. It also will not be enough to convince me in getting rid of my 05 GT. In other words, the only way I'll part with it. Is if Ford brings back the full fastback, which we all know isn't going to happen anytime in the near future, or perhaps even at all for that matter. I suppose it was all just wishful thinking on my part.
You never know. What I forgot mention is greenhouse change isn't soley dependent on GRWD ( though IRS might be for cost economies of scale. ) If they fund a crash program, they can change the whole greenhouse. An alternatve might be to keep the windshield and side glass, front and rear head impact beams, and then just do 1969 Charger style "wings" off the back and leave the rear window essentially the same angle. This would give you a fastback look, but also allow the use of a hinged trunklid. One of the reasons they didn't do a full fastback on the 05 was they'd need to include the glass to get a proper trunk opening requirement, and glass hatches rattle and decrease structural rigidity in a unibody design. Another reason they ditched the Focus hatchback in the US.

Look at us, the 2010 isn't even out, and I am already speculating 2014. ha!
Old 7/23/08, 12:26 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
It needs to be upgraded in every way- just to compete with the Challenger and the Camaro. If Ford doesn't do that I will be trading UP and getting a Challenger.
Doubt that will happen till the GRWD platform. At least weight doesn't seem to be an issue with you

--->edit<---

The MCE Mustang sounds like it has the goods I'm looking for, hopefully it will be a good looking car as well. I'm happy with the current weight of the car (although lighter is always better).

Last edited by bob; 7/23/08 at 12:29 AM.
Old 7/23/08, 05:26 AM
GT Member

I have been next to ( and sat inside ) the new SRT-8 Challenger. Let me tell you, it is a big car- as big and long as a Magnum wagon. They've hidden the heft with huge 20 inch front and 21 inch rear wheels. So in pictures, the body looks smaller. You could put two people in the trunk, and four adults inside, front and rear. We parked it next to a 2007 Mustang GT, and the Mustang is waaaaay smaller. Kinda of like comparing an F450 Dually truck to a standard cab 2WD F-150. about 3/4 size smaller.

Interior of it was boring, seats are awesome. Steering wheel and shifter suck. But it looks good from the outside ( in SRT-8 ) and if you're a Mopar fan, buy one. But Mustang has always been my horse and the Challenger won't make me switch, esp. not when you have to pay $29K for the R/T and then an extra $600 for a manual trans.

Haven't seen the Camaro yet in person, but also looks like a big car, like a two door Pontiac G8. Inside seems a little wacky to me. Funny thing, how the Mustang always stayed smaller than the last gen F bodies as well.

Originally Posted by bob
Doubt that will happen till the GRWD platform. At least weight doesn't seem to be an issue with you

--->edit<---

The MCE Mustang sounds like it has the goods I'm looking for, hopefully it will be a good looking car as well. I'm happy with the current weight of the car (although lighter is always better).
Old 7/23/08, 07:54 AM
Cobra R Member

I've been in the new Challenger and yes it's big. But comparing it to the Magnum is an exaggeration I believe.
Anyway, it's a great looking car and Dodge did a great job in the design.
Old 7/23/08, 05:26 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Speaking of competing, The Shelby GT is moping up in SCCA F/Stock competition, it will be interesting how things play out in this arena when the F5 and Challenger show up
Old 7/23/08, 08:40 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Originally Posted by gnat-sum
Agreed. From what I heard, the new one makes the 2005 lookold and straight edged, and the new interior kicks the old one to the rubbermaid trash bin. Apparently lots of nice interior stuff.

You never know. What I forgot mention is greenhouse change isn't soley dependent on GRWD ( though IRS might be for cost economies of scale. ) If they fund a crash program, they can change the whole greenhouse. An alternatve might be to keep the windshield and side glass, front and rear head impact beams, and then just do 1969 Charger style "wings" off the back and leave the rear window essentially the same angle. This would give you a fastback look, but also allow the use of a hinged trunklid. One of the reasons they didn't do a full fastback on the 05 was they'd need to include the glass to get a proper trunk opening requirement, and glass hatches rattle and decrease structural rigidity in a unibody design. Another reason they ditched the Focus hatchback in the US.

Look at us, the 2010 isn't even out, and I am already speculating 2014. ha!

Just hypothetically speaking, could not the glass be included to get a proper trunk opening by using a full fastback design, similar to the 67-68 style. I'm sure that if Ford were able to update the 67-68 fastback design, that it could work on the current S-197

Heck even the full fastback models from 67-73, all had hinged trunklids. The only difference was those trunklids were sloped at an angle, instead of being horizontal and flat.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/23/08 at 10:36 PM.
Old 7/26/08, 04:25 PM
V6 Member

I just need to see the entire car already!! This way I can decide on 2009 or 2010!
Old 7/26/08, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool No Trade-In

Trading in my 2001 BULLITT is out of the question.

In order to get my business for 2010-2011, the following will have to happen:

Offer a V-8 with MORE than 302 CID; preferrably the stroked/bored 281 coming out to about 322 CID or simply offer the current 331 (either blown or NA). I don't do extra-expense crate motors in new cars just to get what the factory can offer in the first place.

A MACH I or Boss edition(s) would be nice (but not necessary)

NO cylinder deactivation whatsoever ... Save that for the RICERS and retirement vehicles.

Either an automatic built like the one offered with the 2003-2004 MACH I or the T56 6-speed.

Optional rear gears; either 3.55 or 3.73 or 4.10 and it must be a posi-trac.

Anti-lock brakes

Other things (too many to list) will be decided upon at the time I buy one if I decide to do so but if the above is not MADE AVAILABLE FROM THE FACTORY then I will NOT be buying a new Mustang.
Old 7/26/08, 10:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TXBLUOVAL

Offer a V-8 with MORE than 302 CID; preferrably the stroked/bored 281 coming out to about 322 CID or simply offer the current 331 (either blown or NA). I don't do extra-expense crate motors in new cars just to get what the factory can offer in the first place.

NO cylinder deactivation whatsoever ... Save that for the RICERS and retirement vehicles.

Either an automatic built like the one offered with the 2003-2004 MACH I or the T56 6-speed.

Anti-lock brakes

Other things (too many to list) will be decided upon at the time I buy one if I decide to do so but if the above is not MADE AVAILABLE FROM THE FACTORY then I will NOT be buying a new Mustang.
well thats one more mustang available for me!!
Old 7/26/08, 10:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by KGray571
I just need to see the entire car already!! This way I can decide on 2009 or 2010!

I am with you brother... I need to see the 2010 before I order an '09...
Old 7/26/08, 10:41 PM
Cobra Member

Boss 302 S/E model with a 400+ hp 5.0L and 6 spd transmission
Old 7/27/08, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

More power and a six speed transmission.
Old 7/27/08, 09:10 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TXBLUOVAL

Anti-lock brakes

So what you're saying is... you won't be picking up a 2010+ mustang.
Old 7/27/08, 09:30 AM

I have a 92 GT and I've had my eyes on the S197 for a while now. But I can't decide if I want to pick up an 09 or wait for the 2010 or even a 2011.

Aside from looks the biggest thing for me is weight...it effects everything. If it could weigh less or not go up in weight it wouldn't need a ton more horsepower or 50" breaks to stop the thing. I would be perfectly happy with a stang that made 350ish HP/350ish tq that weighs 500-700 lbs less than Camaro/Challenger/Charger.

Of course me being a five slow owner and more of a road course/autox kinda guy a Boss 302 does have it's appeal!!!
Old 7/27/08, 12:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Nope. But he'll be looking at the back end of several as they take off into the distance.
Old 7/27/08, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking MAKES SENSE ... DOESN'T IT ... ???

Originally Posted by Boomer
DAAAAAAAAAAANG BOOMER ... Maybe you're finally on to something ...
Old 7/27/08, 01:11 PM
MSP
Banned

For me to even consider a 2010 Mustang, it would need to have a 3.5-3.7L V6 engine as promised to us in the first place.

I would buy the normally aspirated version, and build my own turbo kit for it.. It would be nice if they came stock with a GT500 fuel system and 60lbs injectors from the factory..

Actually the stock GT500 fuel injectors would be ok. You can run those to 700RWHP no problem..

So just transplant the entire GT500 fuel system including injectors and I'll buy one when coupled to a 3.5L or 3.7L V6!

Last edited by MSP; 7/27/08 at 01:15 PM.
Old 7/27/08, 02:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by MSP
For me to even consider a 2010 Mustang, it would need to have a 3.5-3.7L V6 engine as promised to us in the first place.

I would buy the normally aspirated version, and build my own turbo kit for it.. It would be nice if they came stock with a GT500 fuel system and 60lbs injectors from the factory..

Actually the stock GT500 fuel injectors would be ok. You can run those to 700RWHP no problem..

So just transplant the entire GT500 fuel system including injectors and I'll buy one when coupled to a 3.5L or 3.7L V6!
It looks like the 3.5/3.7 will be added at the same time as the 5.0, MY 2011. Sorry.

Quick Reply: What would the 2010 have to have for you to buy/trade up???