2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Tunes void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/11, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
No argument there Matt. Ford Racing picks up the warranty once installed. His other claim about FRPP not being Ford is wrong though.

I am simply referring to the dealers liability selling you a modified car. Not who the mod came from or what it is. I'm not sure I follow that last part. Ford Racing does their own calibrations. They are not "contracted out" to other companies.

To quote the Ford Racing site:
Lets just say I know for a fact that a 3rd party company did the tune for FRPP. They did work directly with Ford engineers though. FRPP is owned by Ford but they are still looked at as aftermarket.
Old 3/6/11, 06:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by falhulk
Lets just say I know for a fact that a 3rd party company did the tune for FRPP.
I highly doubt that. If you've got proof of this, I'd love to hear it.
Old 3/6/11, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is not just Ford. All the manufacturers are now looking for mods and especially racing of the cars when mechanical failures take place. I have been on another forum, for a foreign maker, who is really questioning every engine failure.
Old 3/12/11, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

On my 05, I would reset it back to the stock tune and take off the CAI when I took it into the dealership for any work than I would reinstall the SCT tune and CAI when I got back home. Never had a problem at the dealership. Sounds like the problem is on the newer models 2010-2011.
Old 3/12/11, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by poldrv
On my 05, I would reset it back to the stock tune and take off the CAI when I took it into the dealership for any work than I would reinstall the SCT tune and CAI when I got back home. Never had a problem at the dealership. Sounds like the problem is on the newer models 2010-2011.

Yeah, as I stated according to my service guy at my dealership he states they would KNOW by looking at the car's computer system that it has been tampered with on the 2010-2011's. But on this thred here Chris states different.

https://themustangsource.com/f726/tu...492458/index5/

So I really don't know what to believe. I guess better to be safe then sorry.
Old 3/12/11, 10:27 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 2011_STANG_GT
Yeah, as I stated according to my service guy at my dealership he states they would KNOW by looking at the car's computer system that it has been tampered with on the 2010-2011's. But on this thred here Chris states different.

https://themustangsource.com/f726/tu...492458/index5/

So I really don't know what to believe. I guess better to be safe then sorry.
Chris is right on. It's not more of an issue with the 10+ than it was with the 05-09 models. Same rules apply. Just because the service writer told you they can tell doesn't mean he's telling the truth. As stated, some who "stock out" for warranty issues not related to their mods just flash back to stock, then unplug the battery to be safe.
Old 3/12/11, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GRABOID

Well it is comifornia what do you expect. Hell i'm suprised they let Ford dealers sale anything other than electric cars there.
I'm also in SoCal and I've never had a problem with any repair after modding. I've blown out a trans, a couple of intakes and multiple heater core in my 96 GT years ago and it was heavily modded. I've had it repaired at two different dealerships so it's NOT just one dealer turning a blind eye to modding. My feeling is the dealer gets paid for the work out of house by the warranty from ford so, they might as well GET PAID and not turn away business.
Old 3/12/11, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
My feeling is the dealer gets paid for the work out of house by the warranty from ford so, they might as well GET PAID and not turn away business.
Don't depend on that "feeling". Part of the reason for Ford's financial recovery is by not blindly paying out all warranty claims. Ford is more often sending out adjustors to look at warranty claims before approval.

Dealers that take it upon themselves to submit warranty claims without the proper documentation or the required preapproval runs the risk of eating the cost of repair or trying to extract that cost from you.

Will some people get away with stuff? Sure. Just be forewarned ...
Old 3/12/11, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Don't depend on that "feeling". Part of the reason for Ford's financial recovery is by not blindly paying out all warranty claims. Ford is more often sending out adjustors to look at warranty claims before approval.

Dealers that take it upon themselves to submit warranty claims without the proper documentation or the required preapproval runs the risk of eating the cost of repair or trying to extract that cost from you.

Will some people get away with stuff? Sure. Just be forewarned ...
Your comment may be correct. It's been a few years since I've had anything repaired under warranty. I hate to think those days are gone. I remember blowing out my first plastic intake on my 96 and the paperwork actually said it was the fault of my aftermarket supercharger and they still replaced it but I can understand why they are getting serious about warranty coverage just by the way ford dealerships are dropping like flies. Around here anyway.
Old 3/13/11, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can't see what you did to your PCM. We simply replace the binary with ours and then swap it back out for stock when you click "Return to Stock". That's all there is. Many people use this to trick Ford into paying out warranty claims. I don't condone that, but I do understand it if the warranty claim is obviously unrelated to the custom tunes. A custom tune isn't going to cause your window motor to fail. Nor is it going to cause a control arm bushing to rot out, etc.

Ford has been getting more and more strict. It really depends on individual dealerships and service writers, at the end of the day. I've seen dealers let people get away with murder (superchargers, nitrous, etc.). I've seen dealers void a warranty over a tune when someone brought a car in for an oil-change (which he fought and won). I've seen everywhere in between. SVT dealers are sometimes more lenient. Sometimes SVT dealers are even more brutal. Dealerships have personalities like women!
Old 3/13/11, 06:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Dealerships have personalities like women!
I think you're onto something here.

Thx for the clarifications Chris.