2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Tunes void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/11, 04:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
I've never heard of such thing.. Who handles your mods? Would that be service department?
They have a high performance department that handles all the mods done to Ford products or any other brand cars. I've seen numerous times Maro's and Chally's being modded by this dealership.
Old 2/8/11, 04:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281

Dealer and/or dealer service advisor matters most IMO.
Your right about that !
Old 2/8/11, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Dealer and/or dealer service advisor matters most IMO.
Absolutely agree. I've read stories that go both ways as far as voiding warranties. It all depends on who you are dealing with. The stories even differ between local dealers here. There is one here that seems to be pretty mod friendly but who knows how long I will be stationed here. That is why none of my mods will have anything do with anything that may void my drivetrains warranty until I hit 100K. I would love to go FI but will just patiently await my time. She is still fast enough to put a smile on my face every day!
Old 3/3/11, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
According to multiple sources, FRPP will void the warranty as well. However, you get the 3 year warranty if I'm not mistaken by FRPP. Even though FRPP is part of Ford, so wrong to have this stupid rule.
Indeed the FRPP warranties are 3 years/36,000 miles IF AND ONLY IF you have them install the FRPP at the time you take delivery of the new car, not a day later and 12 months/12,000 miles if you have a Ford dealership install any FRPP after you take delivery. More instersting I recently reviewed an article via Ford that clearly stated the FRPP's are not OEM parts.

I do agree with you all that in order for Ford to void your warranty they have to prove that the failed part was caused by your installed performance part. Additionally I support Ford 110%, I've had many performance cars over the past 40 years, but think about the money Ford would loose if they opened the performance mod gates. Every "inexperienced" tuner/modifier would be hooking up crazy sized turbo's, superchargers, nitrous etc. and breaking all sorts of parts at Ford's cost.

For the reflash part, I don't know the answer, I agree with you all again, it's the relationship you have with your dealership.

I do ask myself one thing, if FRPP's are not OEM, hmmmm the GT500 has quite a few FRPP's on it. Moreover, what about all these dealers that sell Roush Mustangs? The 5XR is an all Roush kit and the kit install includes a Non-Ford reflash.

So being long winded, remember Ford knowingly builds these beasts to be modified and the warranty issue comes down to the quality of the modifier.

Last edited by 11RRGT; 3/4/11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 3/3/11, 10:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Sounds BS.

Plus, they need to prove that the changed parameters from a tune caused whatever problem they're determining in order to void the warranty
ha ha.. internet lawyers... free advice.

OP..... YOU have to take them to court and cover the costs... they just have to deny it.
Old 3/4/11, 12:30 PM
GT Member

I was looking at a 2009 Shelby Conv last year at the dealership. It was the owners car. It was for sale, with no warranty. I guess the owner put in a tune, and voided the warranty. I wonder how the service manager done this to his bosses car? Or is Ford in control of the service managers at dealership? If he would void the dealerships owners warranty, he would void mine for sure. Ronn

Last edited by Ronn; 3/4/11 at 12:32 PM.
Old 3/5/11, 09:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyM
Sounds BS.

Plus, they need to prove that the changed parameters from a tune caused whatever problem they're determining in order to void the warranty
Originally Posted by brycerichert
ha ha.. internet lawyers... free advice.

OP..... YOU have to take them to court and cover the costs... they just have to deny it.
Exactly. And Jimmy, no they do NOT have to prove the mod is at fault. It won't be a criminal trial. You will be in civil court and all the dealer or Ford has to do is sound .000001% more believable than you. None of this "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard of criminal court.
Old 3/5/11, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 11RRGT
So being long winded, remember Ford knowingly builds these beasts to be modified and the warranty issue comes down to the quality of the modifier.
Wrong. Ford builds these cars to sell for a profit and whenever it has to pay out in warranty costs it loses that profit.

That would be like saying Sony builds the PS3 to be modified to run pirated games. No, it doesn't. Does it happen? Sure. But the moment you peel off that anti-tamper sticker you're on your own.

Your dealer may or may not turn a blind eye to mods -- usually that will depend on how often Ford Warranty adjusters have burned them in the past. "You break it, you bought it" is their mantra. The dealer won't pay out of pocket to fix your car if Ford doesn't pay them back.

I'm not saying this because "I'm on Ford's side"; I'm saying it because that's the way it is...

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 3/5/11 at 09:56 AM.
Old 3/5/11, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Wrong. Ford builds these cars to sell for a profit and whenever it has to pay out in warranty costs it loses that profit.

That would be like saying Sony builds the PS3 to be modified to run pirated games. No, it doesn't. Does it happen? Sure. But the moment you peel off that anti-tamper sticker you're on your own.

Your dealer may or may not turn a blind eye to mods -- usually that will depend on how often Ford Warranty adjusters have burned them in the past. "You break it, you bought it" is their mantra. The dealer won't pay out of pocket to fix your car if Ford doesn't pay them back.

I'm not saying this because "I'm on Ford's side"; I'm saying it because that's the way it is...
OAC Sparky, if your going to reply, next time instead of pulling my post apart or selective reading, read my entire post. It's obvious you did not read the entire post, specifically "Additionally I support Ford 110%, I've had many performance cars over the past 40 years, but think about the money Ford would loose if they opened the performance mod gates. Every "inexperienced" tuner/modifier would be hooking up crazy sized turbo's, superchargers, nitrous etc. and breaking all sorts of parts at Ford's cost."

Regards
Old 3/5/11, 04:56 PM

I do ask myself one thing, if FRPP's are not OEM, hmmmm the GT500 has quite a few FRPP's on it. Moreover, what about all these dealers that sell Roush Mustangs? The 5XR is an all Roush kit and the kit install includes a Non-Ford reflash.

All false. The GT500 is 100% OEM. FRPP parts are 100% not OEM. There is a difference.

Roush Mustangs are 100% tuner cars and do not carry the same powertrain warranties as a bone stock GT for instance. Roush and the Roush reseller have a different warranty on the car.

Ford builds the cars with some tolerances so that a stock car will be able to handle a variety of different environments (AZ desert or Maine winter). Ford does not warranty anyone with a handheld tuner plugging in numbers and changing values, however thought out and "safe" those values may be.

In order to deny a powertrain warranty claim, Ford simply has to prove that the computer code was changed, not that the different value caused the failure.

Last edited by alrox; 3/5/11 at 04:57 PM.
Old 3/5/11, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011_STANG_GT
I'm in so cal too, have not heard of any dealer That welcomes modding of any type.
Well it is comifornia what do you expect. Hell i'm suprised they let Ford dealers sale anything other than electric cars there.
Old 3/5/11, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by alrox
All false. The GT500 is 100% OEM. FRPP parts are 100% not OEM. There is a difference.

Roush Mustangs are 100% tuner cars and do not carry the same powertrain warranties as a bone stock GT for instance. Roush and the Roush reseller have a different warranty on the car.

Ford builds the cars with some tolerances so that a stock car will be able to handle a variety of different environments (AZ desert or Maine winter). Ford does not warranty anyone with a handheld tuner plugging in numbers and changing values, however thought out and "safe" those values may be.

In order to deny a powertrain warranty claim, Ford simply has to prove that the computer code was changed, not that the different value caused the failure.
Wow this website is something else. This is exactly why at my age, I join these just to read and usually post nothing. Are we all on here to support each other or figure out who king of the posting hill is, unbelievable.

YOU ARE VERY WRONG and here is one of many examples straight from FRPP's website. This is for part number M-5230-MGTCA1:

Fits 2011 Mustang GT
Aluminized 409 stainless steel corrosion-resistant body with polished 304 stainless 4" diameter tips
Standard on 2011 SVT Mustang
Throatier exhaust note
50 state drive-by noise legal

I only copied and pasted that, I'm sorry what does the third bullet say "Standard on a 2011 SVT Mustang." That 2011 SVT Mustang would be the GT500. Do your homework, I don't post BS. If you search around the Ford Racing website you will find many more.

For the Roush Mustangs, your warranty comment may be true, but only true at your particular dealer/area. Where I'm at to include the dealer I purchased my GT from, they sell the Roush Mustangs with the same standard Ford warranty and even offer the same 100,000 mile warranty you can get on any Ford for all Roush Mustangs. I almost purchased one but I was looking for specific options and the Roush Mustangs did not have them. The General Manager who's been at that same dealership for 37 years is who I discussed this with, he just happens to be a great friend of the family so I did not hesitate to ask.

In order for a warranty to be voided, be it an aftermarket lugnut, tuner, CAI, exhaust etc. the cause of the failed part must have been caused by the aftermarket part in order to void your warranty. I DID SAY TUNER CORRECT and a tuner does what, controls the PCM/ECM and even the transmission control module for those with automatics and these all control what, oh the powertrain. So if the powertrain fails and they find that an aftermarket tuner programmer was installed, they can void your warranty. Thank you for being so polite and educating me.

Yes like so many have said, court fee's, lawyers etc. but a fact is a fact. I did state that I support Ford 110% did I not, let me go back and check, yes I certainly did say that.

If you come on this website and your not part of the cool club, everyone looks to pull your post apart. What a shame and it's actually pathetic.

Go outside and look up, I forgive you.

Last edited by 11RRGT; 3/5/11 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spacing issue
Old 3/5/11, 08:31 PM

I did not personally insult you like you did me. I deserve the same respect and not the quoted insults below that a child would throw out.

If you come on this website and your not part of the cool club, everyone looks to pull your post apart. What a shame and it's actually pathetic.

Go outside and look up, I forgive you.
FRPP has a close relationship with Ford, but it is not Ford and its parts are not Ford OEM: they are aftermarket. From the FRPP website http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news47.asp :

All Ford Racing Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Racing Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories.

The muffler kit you mention may very well be physically exact to the same mufflers found on the GT500, but they are treated as aftermarket.

Roush warranty is different from the factory Ford new car limited powertrain warranty regardless of dealership. The dealership and Steeda are warranting the powertrain warranty on those Steeda cars, not Ford. You will also find that insuring a tuner 'factory' car like a Steeda or Roush is different from a plain Mustang GT.

As said before, Ford warranties their work, not anyone elses. In order to meet the magnuson moss act burden of proof, all they have to do is prove that the computer code has been modified, not that any single changed value of the code caused the failure.

The Ford new car limited powertrain warranty is not your personal race team. If you want to play, you pay.
Old 3/6/11, 04:19 PM
Banned

OAC Sparky, if your going to reply, next time instead of pulling my post apart or selective reading, read my entire post. It's obvious you did not read the entire post, specifically "Additionally I support Ford 110%, I've had many performance cars over the past 40 years, but think about the money Ford would loose if they opened the performance mod gates. Every "inexperienced" tuner/modifier would be hooking up crazy sized turbo's, superchargers, nitrous etc. and breaking all sorts of parts at Ford's cost."

Regards
I did read your post, nor did I "pull it apart". I disagreed with your statement
remember Ford knowingly builds these beasts to be modified and the warranty issue comes down to the quality of the modifier.
I've worked for Ford for 23 years, and I know that this is patently and blatantly false. While Ford is aware that people modify their cars, they do NOT "build them to be modified" nor does the factory warranty "apply differently depending on the modifier".

Perhaps you misworded or malformed your post but as it stands you are incorrect. Sorry if this offends you.
Old 3/6/11, 04:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alrox
I did not personally insult you like you did me. I deserve the same respect and not the quoted insults below that a child would throw out.

FRPP has a close relationship with Ford, but it is not Ford and its parts are not Ford OEM: they are aftermarket. From the FRPP website http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news47.asp :

All Ford Racing Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Racing Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories.
Your above post, the bolded portion proves you don't know what you're talking about.

The FRPP tune was explained in more detail to me when I had it installed by an FRPP engineer a few weeks ago. They take the stock tune, continue to refine it, tweak areas that have more room to go, and sell it as an in-house aftermarket part. They have to pass the same criteria that the OEM calibration does, otherwise they aren't sold. Other tuners, like Bama, Steeda, etc. do not.

Now, this is coming right from the horse's mouth regarding their tune. I trust them to be more informed on the subject than the average forum poster.
Old 3/6/11, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Your above post, the bolded portion proves you don't know what you're talking about.

The FRPP tune was explained in more detail to me when I had it installed by an FRPP engineer a few weeks ago. They take the stock tune, continue to refine it, tweak areas that have more room to go, and sell it as an in-house aftermarket part. They have to pass the same criteria that the OEM calibration does, otherwise they aren't sold. Other tuners, like Bama, Steeda, etc. do not.

Now, this is coming right from the horse's mouth regarding their tune. I trust them to be more informed on the subject than the average forum poster.
If thats the case why is it not avialable when you take delivery of the car from all Ford dealers? Why is it only available from FRPP certified dealers? The part you bolded was exactly right.
Old 3/6/11, 04:54 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
If thats the case why is it not avialable when you take delivery of the car from all Ford dealers? Why is it only available from FRPP certified dealers? The part you bolded was exactly right.
I suspect it's a liability thing for the dealer not to do that before the vehicle. Once you are the owner, it's another story for them to apply/install a modification.
Old 3/6/11, 04:57 PM
Banned

Sorry, Steve. Not trying to be a jerk but if you install your Ford Racing Tune through a Ford Racing dealer is the Warranty honoured by Ford or Ford Racing?

A: Ford Racing.

Look up the Ford Racing site http://fordracingparts.com/parts/par...KeyField=12346, click the warranty link

The New Limited Warranty Program
Ford Racing Performance Parts are sold "as is" with no warranty. A Limited Warranty is available for some select parts and will be denoted by the following logo...
1) Crate Engines
Ford Racing Performance Parts warrants the original retail purchaser for 12 months or 12,000 miles on our Performance Crate Engines.

2) FR1 & FR3 Power Packs for the 2005 - 2010 Mustangs and Shelby GT500
The warranty will cover parts and labor to replace defective components on Ford Dealer installed parts only.
  • A 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty is applicable if installed at the time of new vehicle delivery
  • A 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty is in effect if installed after the date of vehicle delivery but prior to expiration of 3 years / 36,000 mile vehicle warranty

3) Select FR SuperPacks for 2005 - 2010 Mustangs and 2007 - 2010 Shelby GT500
The warranty will cover parts and labor to replace defective components on Ford Dealer installed parts only.
  • A 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty is applicable when installed by an Authorized Dealer ( Ford, Lincoln Mercury or Shelby Automotive) prior to the vehicle reaching either 36 months or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first).
  • View Ford Racing Limited Warranty for details
Look for the "logo" for applicable parts, or view our warrantied parts list.

Old 3/6/11, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I suspect it's a liability thing for the dealer not to do that before the vehicle. Once you are the owner, it's another story for them to apply/install a modification.
What liability? If FRPP is Ford there is no liablitity right? You bring up a good point in that they cannot install it before its sold for a reason. If its perfectly safe and its not an aftermarket mod with risk, why not allow all dealers to install it? Why does Ford not have a check box for the tune, etc. when you order it? Ford looks at FRPP mods the same as any other aftermarket mod. FRPP contacted out the tunes we are talking about to a 3rd party company.
Old 3/6/11, 05:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Sorry, Steve. Not trying to be a jerk but if you install your Ford Racing Tune through a Ford Racing dealer is the Warranty honoured by Ford or Ford Racing?

A: Ford Racing.

Look up the Ford Racing site http://fordracingparts.com/parts/par...KeyField=12346, click the warranty link
No argument there Matt. Ford Racing picks up the warranty once installed. His other claim about FRPP not being Ford is wrong though.

Originally Posted by falhulk
What liability? If FRPP is Ford there is no liablitity right? You bring up a good point in that they cannot install it before its sold for a reason. If its perfectly safe and its not an aftermarket mod with risk, why not allow all dealers to install it? Why does Ford not have a check box for the tune, etc. when you order it? Ford looks at FRPP mods the same as any other aftermarket mod. FRPP contacted out the tunes we are talking about to a 3rd party company.
I am simply referring to the dealers liability selling you a modified car. Not who the mod came from or what it is. I'm not sure I follow that last part. Ford Racing does their own calibrations. They are not "contracted out" to other companies.

To quote the Ford Racing site:
Federal and state laws prohibit any person from installing aftermarket add-on or modified parts prior to the sale of a new motor vehicle

Quick Reply: Tunes void warranty?