Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tunes void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/11, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tunes void warranty?

As I dropped off my car for it's oil change. I spoke to my service guy and ran some mods across him. He said to stay away from tuners. On the newer models of cars when a tuner is imputed into the computer system he said that it flashes a code even if you tune it back to "stock" the code that a tuner will be on the system. So if anything fails it would void the warranty due to the tuner.

Anyone believe or know about this?
Old 2/8/11, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds BS.

Plus, they need to prove that the changed parameters from a tune caused whatever problem they're determining in order to void the warranty
Old 2/8/11, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

It's true in part. If the shocks fail the tune didn't cause them to fail so it's not directly the cause of the tune. It has to be directly the cause of the tune for the failure when they can say it's your fault. As for them detecting it, once the tune is installed it basically "overwrites" the stock parameters, and the tuner simply copies the stock parameters into storage. So when you switch it back to "stock" it's not really stock only a copy of the stock files which is where they would possibly detect something was done. Sorry for the long post. I explained it the best I could.
Old 2/8/11, 01:44 PM
Banned

It is true. They do not have to prove anything. They are Ford, they have money and have great lawyers. YOU have to prove that the part didn't cause the engine to blow. Like the guy above said, tune has to be the cause of the problem if it's engine related. They can't deny warranty if your shocks fail because of tune. You have to build good relationship with your dealer and whatnot and get things in writing. That's the main reason I haven't gotten a tune yet. I got a warranty until 100k miles and I don't want to lose it, it's bumper to bumper. I had some bad experiences before and I know how Ford works. People will come here and spray the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act blah blah but if your engine blows, you're the one that's in deep ****. You have to get a lawyer etc etc. It's a long process.

You are playing with fire, so you know the consequences. I'm sure all the tuners here know that.
Old 2/8/11, 01:51 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So unhooking the battery doesn't reset the code when it resets the ECU?

What about the FRPP tuner?

Old 2/8/11, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not 100% sure if that will reset it back to stock but I don't think so. I think the only thing that would once again overwrite the performance file would be a dealer flash, either with an update or scan. It would be the same deal with the frpp. The frpp one won't void your warranty because ford puts it out. But you won't see the gains you'll see with the other guys.

Last edited by alcarames; 2/8/11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 2/8/11, 01:58 PM
Banned

According to multiple sources, FRPP will void the warranty as well. However, you get the 3 year warranty if I'm not mistaken by FRPP. Even though FRPP is part of Ford, so wrong to have this stupid rule.
Old 2/8/11, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

"YOU have to prove that the part didn't cause the engine to blow"

Thats incorrect, the M Act states they have to prove it is your mod that caused the failure, BUT if their lawyers provide evidence that it was your mod that caused the failure, then it would be your lawyers job to prove them wrong, which like he said could get real expensive and time consuming.
Old 2/8/11, 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This interesting as I was just on another car forum looking up information on that brands 2009 Turbo engine failures. My son in law just had his give up, and it is a new car, stock, no tune.

My point, from reading the 70+ pages on the forum, this manufacturer can apparently tell if the car was tuned, even if you set it back to stock. There is apparently a code change in the ECU to alert them, and they do not void the warranty, they simply deny claims on any part effected by the tune. In other words it is up to you to prove the tune did not stress the stock part past the stock parameters, causing it to fail. They do demand all service records.

Based on this, I would certainly be very careful.
Old 2/8/11, 02:32 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All you guys need to do is ask fellow member here bpmurr what happened to him. Yeah the magnuson whatever act exists. But who honestly has the time or resources to fight with FoMoCo in court? I know I don't. Its one of the reasons why I've kept my car stock. You mod at your own risk. To some dealers its no big deal, to others they won't touch your car once its been modded...
Old 2/8/11, 02:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
All you guys need to do is ask fellow member here bpmurr what happened to him. Yeah the magnuson whatever act exists. But who honestly has the time or resources to fight with FoMoCo in court? I know I don't. Its one of the reasons why I've kept my car stock. You mod at your own risk. To some dealers its no big deal, to others they won't touch your car once its been modded...
That's why i got my tune and all other performance mods directly from my Ford dealership, they've been modding cars for over ten years now, and never heard any guy complaining about warranty issues whether it be with Ford or dealership.
Old 2/8/11, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Maybe someone should build a poll, strictly to be answered by people who have installed a tune and had it for at least a year. Three options:
1. It damaged my engine
2. It didn't damage my engine but Ford claims it did
3. Never had any problems with it
Old 2/8/11, 02:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RandyW
One option:

1. Never had any problems with it
Fixed
Old 2/8/11, 02:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
That's why i got my tune and all other performance mods directly from my Ford dealership, they've been modding cars for over ten years now, and never heard any guy complaining about warranty issues whether it be with Ford or dealership.
Agreed. If you have a good dealership you're golden. I tested the waters w/ my dealership when I was buying the car. Bottom line w/ mine is that as long as I get only FRPP stuff and get it installed by them they'll still honor my warranty. Strict bastards lol
Old 2/8/11, 03:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Agreed. If you have a good dealership you're golden. I tested the waters w/ my dealership when I was buying the car. Bottom line w/ mine is that as long as I get only FRPP stuff and get it installed by them they'll still honor my warranty. Strict bastards lol
Jason, isn't there any dealership in your part of the hood that would honor any in house mods done to your car !
Old 2/8/11, 03:02 PM
Cobra Member

Jason, isn't there any dealership in your part of the hood that would honor any in house mods done to your car !

I've never heard of such thing.. Who handles your mods? Would that be service department?
Old 2/8/11, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

The dealer you go to plays a big role with mods. Some will turn a blind eye as long as it's not your third time in for bad O2 sensors and you have a nitrous hook up. On the other end of the spectrum you have dealers that bust ball$$ over an intake when you bring it in for an oil change. So yeah, don't go to the ball buster dealers. Find a good one and make friends with the service writer and even find a tech who's work you like when they're on your car and you can even request them when going in for future service.
Old 2/8/11, 04:03 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Not that I know of. Maybe someboody else in here knows some in So Cal, but in my general experience they have all been pretty strict when it comes to mod stuff
Old 2/8/11, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that I know of. Maybe someboody else in here knows some in So Cal, but in my general experience they have all been pretty strict when it comes to mod stuff
I'm in so cal too, have not heard of any dealer That welcomes modding of any type.
Old 2/8/11, 04:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
In my experience over years of having various cars with various levels of mods, it all depends on the service advisor at your dealer. What they report, or don't report, is what either approves or denies the repair. For example, my last warranty experience involved replacing the fuel pump in my 06 GT under warranty, when the car not only had a tune but offroad exhaust, intake, gears, driveshaft, pullies, and probably more than I remember now. I took it in and had the fuel pump replaced so that when we installed a Vortech blower the next week, we would be ready to roll... and the SA knew and OK'ed the fuel pump replacement. None of the equipment (tune or otherwise) was Ford or FRPP, all was purchased and/or installed at Brenspeed.

Dealer and/or dealer service advisor matters most IMO.

Quick Reply: Tunes void warranty?