2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Talk me out of changing my order again to get a GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/10, 10:59 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'd say get a V6, unless you change your avatar.
Old 5/9/10, 11:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the GT, cut some goodies, and be done with it. A glass roof is nice, but give me a 5.0 first! Im coming out of a 3.0 BMW 328, quick car, but no wheres near a GT. Yeah i miss the moon roof, for a second! until that 5.0 starts up. Lol Ron Oh yeah this is post number 1 for me!
Old 5/9/10, 11:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jokerstars
This will be my first mustang. The only other car I've ever owned is a 4cyl 1994 Honda Accord. I still drive it now.
Keeping it for a commuter, by any chance?

I test drove a 2007 V6 Mustang and a 2007 GT Mustang a few weeks ago. I didn't care for the V6's power or sound; loved the V8. I still remember how that test drive felt.
One of the things you felt is TORQUE. When you drive around town (under 60 mph) and feel the engine responsiveness, you are experiencing the result of the powerband and the drivetrain gearing as matched by Ford. In my opinion, that is a big part of the driving experience, unless you plan to regularly take your vehicle to a track for straightline acceleration runs.

The other thing you felt was STEERING. This is a result of the suspension tuning with the given wheel/tire combination and the steering gear. What I have felt on the 2010 is a more responsive and better weighted steering feel when I turn corners as compared to my previous 2007 GT. You will really notice this even more during an autocross or road course performance driving situation.

So I imagine coming from my Honda Accord, the V6 Stang will feel like a rocket. But I HAVE been corrupted by that GT test drive...
Right now, until you have driven either a 2011 V6 or GT with the new transmissions, you can only extrapolate the 2007 GT experience to a 2011 V6 because of the peak horsepower similarities. What is more challenging is feeling how the powerband is set up and matched to the new 6-speed transmissions. I would argue a 2010 GT might feel "stronger" in the lower parts of the RPM range because of the peak torque difference between it (325 lb-ft) and the 2011 V6 (280 lb-ft). That is a 45 lb-ft difference, which will have to be "overcome" by the gearing. Once you get higher into the rev range, the V6 might feel stronger then.

The last part of this equation is the SOUND. How does the V8 sound as compared to the V6? Does that sound matter to you?

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 5/9/10 at 11:11 PM.
Old 5/9/10, 11:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the detailed reply, Tony.

Keeping it for a commuter, by any chance?
Nope. My commute involves just walking to the metro and riding it to work. This is going to be my weekend driver, cause that's the only time I drive.

I would argue a 2010 GT might feel "stronger" in the lower parts of the RPM range because of the peak torque difference between it (325 lb-ft) and the 2011 V6 (280 lb-ft). That is a 45 lb-ft difference, which will have to be "overcome" by the gearing. Once you get higher into the rev range, the V6 might feel stronger then.
I spend 80% of my driving around here under 50 mph. Lots of lights for stop and go. So I want the stop and go to be fun! I'm worried the 2011 V6 won't be much fun under 50 mph.

The last part of this equation is the SOUND. How does the V8 sound as compared to the V6? Does that sound matter to you?
The 2007 V6 sound sucked. The V8 was beautiful. However I think the 2011 V6 sounds beautiful as well. Kind of an exotic wolf's howl compared to the V8's bearish rumble.
Old 5/10/10, 01:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think you should follow your gut instinct. I made what I thought was a safe decision in 2005, when I upgraded from a Ford Focus to a V6 Mustang, under the impression that gas and insurance would be cheaer and the leap from 140hp to 210hp would be more than enough.

3 months into owning the car, I wanted more sound, a little more power, then alot more power and slightly more agressive appearance.

I can't assume I wouldn't taken the same route had I opted for the GT but at least I would not have been second guessing my decision.

But make no mistake this 2011 V6 is one awesome car, probably the perfect balance of performance and fuel economy.
Old 5/10/10, 04:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I'd say get a V6, unless you change your avatar.
Thats what im talking about bro! Grow a pair. If that guy is your hero then get the V6. Now you see what im talking about.
Old 5/10/10, 05:49 AM
Cobra R Member

The monthly payment difference for 36 months 0% apr would be $765 for the GT versus $632 for the V6. They'd both have the glass room and rear cam. I know you're not supposed to look at cars as monthly payments over a whole...but how can I turn down a GT for an extra 130 bucks a month?

I'm not joking. Talk me out of this. I have no VIN/build date yet so I'm driving myself mad by tweaking my order. My dealer's gonna kill me if I call him to change it again.
I wasn't going to post because you wanted people to talk you out of getting the V8... sorry, I can't think of any good reasons NOT to get the V8...

Your mistake was test driving the V8...
Old 5/10/10, 05:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are you people finding 0% interest 48 & 60 month loans for a 2011 Mustang ??

0% for 36 month ... YES through Ford Credit !!

0% for 48 or 60 month ... show me where !!

Doug
Old 5/10/10, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got a quote from USAA for both models. The 2011 V6 is 380 dollars for 6 months, the V8 is 475 dollars for 6 months.
I'd sure as helll hope this has something to do with the fact that it's not going to be driven to and from work and almost not at all. I think I'm paying more than that GT quote for my '10 V6 with State Farm, and I've not had a claim with them EVER in 30 years, and no moving violations since 1994. I might oughta shop around.
Old 5/10/10, 06:36 AM
Cobra R Member

My vote is to keep the V6. Once these things are really out in the wild a lot of the '05 to '10 GT drivers are going to be saying, "Crap, I should have waited and just got the V6."

I had my 200 HP 'vette out this weekend on Skyline Drive. No problem speeding (unintentionally, of course) and enjoying the twisty roads. The GT would allow faster acceleration (and subsequently faster consumption of gas) and maybe a bigger grin but I think the V6 deserves a chance. The GT is only faster to 60 by what? About .7 seconds? Are you really going to notice that on a day to day basis? (Yes, of course you'll "feel" it but is it that important when thinking about the 5 seconds it takes to get there?) Most of our driving isn't 0-60 runs or quarter mile runs. It's going to the grocery store, gas station, etc. with the occasional weekend jaunt into the twisties or a run down the track for those few who like buying tires.

On the other hand, if you've never owned a 400 HP car or one that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds AND you can afford it, why not? If you enjoy cars and lots of torque and horsepower, you'll enjoy the 5.0 immensely. That's why I bought my CTS-V. Now that I've been there, done that, the new V6 is just a perfect blend of practicality, performance, and efficiency for me.
Old 5/10/10, 06:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
. . . .0% for 48 or 60 month ... show me where !!

Doug
I'd like to see it too, as far as I know it does not exist!

Sorry for increasing the dilema, but here's another option: get a 2010 GT. Then you can have the sound and feel of the V8 for about the same money as the 2011 V6, if you make a good deal on the 2010 GT.

If I drove as few miles as you do, I would go with the 2010 GT for sure . . . the only reason I am in a bit of a dilema myself (between the 2011 V6 and the 2010 GT) is that I commute about 300 miles per week, and I want the car to make me feel good on that commute, so I'm a little worried about "carbon footprint guilt" with the GT.
Old 5/10/10, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Premium just hit over $3 bucks a gallon here - factor the increased price of fuel into your numbers too. If you really want a V8 then go grab a 2010 GT for a helluva bargain.
Old 5/10/10, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
If you have a sack between your legs get the V8! What guy wants a V6? V6's are for women or women like individuals. They should not even allow V6's in Mustangs, Camaro's and Challenger's. The V6 is a secretaries car. You better have your testosterone levels checked if you want a V6. Grow a pair and get the V8. Screw money. You can get hit by a bus in 6 months and on your death bed you will be saying i could have had a V8!
Funny coming from someone that got the most un-manly color - hey - isn't that the color Stingers MOM bought? I guess you wanted the big manly V8, but still wanted to be able to have your girlie side shine bright! The last person I saw driving a Candy as* Stang had three kids jump out of the car after her - LMAO

...no offense to you jokerstars - just felt like busting his chops - lol

Last edited by AusTXMCA; 5/10/10 at 07:31 AM.
Old 5/10/10, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must forget or maybe you still have a pacifier in your mouth but Candy was the choice color of classic Muscle cars in the 70's and 80's. Everyone had their cars painted Candy Red. Now that is Retro baby! My Tranny neighbor just received is V6 Stang the other day. This proves my point.
Old 5/10/10, 07:45 AM

Get the GT, you will not regret it at all! I can't wait for mine to come in! No offense to anyone but I don't see the thinking behind buying the V6 in the first place!
Old 5/10/10, 07:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

There is nothing logical about buying a sporty car. It's all about emotion. Take some time and think it over. If you have any doubt that the v6 is enough, buy the GT. Regret is expensive. It is far better to buy a car and keep it for a long time than it is to trade up after a couple years. The 6 will be great. The question is whether it is great enough for you.
Old 5/10/10, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

If you have so much uncertainty, you REALLY should just kill your order now and get some test drives in. Worst case, you have to reorder with the features you want(which might take a few months). Best case: the car you test drive you'll take off the lot.

Right now the only thing you seem to be sure about is the fact that you want a Mustang. That's great, but this is a LOT of money here... you really want to work off blind faith before testing out which one is truly right for you? Based on this thread, I'd have to say "no".

I still say if you have questions now, and you pull the trigger here, you're always going to have questions of "what could've been". And that can/will turn into regret. Regardless of which model you go with. "Would I have been happier with a V6? Would I have loved the GT that much more?"

Last edited by Rjaniz; 5/10/10 at 08:22 AM.
Old 5/10/10, 08:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by urlacher54
Get the GT, you will not regret it at all! I can't wait for mine to come in! No offense to anyone but I don't see the thinking behind buying the V6 in the first place!
None taken.

1. Cheaper
2. More fuel efficient
3. More HP than a 2005 GT
4. Cheaper insurance
5. Lower fuel cost (grade and MPG)
6. It's all relative. In 3 years the Mustang GT will likely have 430 HP (or more.) Then the people buying those will say, "I can't believe anyone bought the first year 5.0!"

That's just some of the "thinking" behind getting a V6.
Old 5/10/10, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
None taken.

1. Cheaper
2. More fuel efficient
3. More HP than a 2005 GT
4. Cheaper insurance
5. Lower fuel cost (grade and MPG)
6. It's all relative. In 3 years the Mustang GT will likely have 430 HP (or more.) Then the people buying those will say, "I can't believe anyone bought the first year 5.0!"

That's just some of the "thinking" behind getting a V6.
The GT with the EXACT same build as my MCA V6 is $6k more - ummmm - no thanks! I'll put that money back into paying off my pool and still have a sick car
Old 5/10/10, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Thats great dude.
You should come on up so me, you and the tranny can hang and i can rape the 2 of your girlie V6's.
DA*N! I just saw this smiley...I should have used that on my last post...ah well - lol

So what the hell did you decide jokerstars?!?!?! You gettin' the V8 or what?

Quick Reply: Talk me out of changing my order again to get a GT