2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Shifter Help

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/14, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Help

I posted this to my build thread but it's buried deep down in the Black cars forum, and wanted as wide a base of opinions as possible.

My shifter still needs work. The Energy Suspension bushing did clean it up a bit, but I still get the crunchy feeling when I hustle the shift. In laid back driving, the bushing got rid of the crunchiness. When you're just moving the shifter to the gate and just letting it find the gears, it's fine. But when you put the effort in for a faster shift, much of the time I'm still getting that Triscuit feel.

When it comes to solutions...well, I already hear the "MGW! MGW! MGW!" Lebron-for-MVP chants raining down. My issue is I actually like the throws of the stock shifter, and would prefer a "reduced-reduction" MGW if something like that existed. So I'm contemplating the Steeda Tri-Ax. I don't see a lot about it here, but what I do see is very good (aside from some installation quirks and confusion about the reverse lockout springs) and the throws are a 20% reduction, vs. a 30-40% reduction on every other brand. I'd pair this with either the Steeda bushing, or go to a Barton 2-post. And yes, I realize this puts me within $20 of the MGW. This one will not be a cost-based decision. I know Steeda makes top-notch stuff, and regardless of the throws is going to be a high quality part. One thing I do NOT like, is an Atari Joystick feel to my shifter.

One final question on the MGW, does it sit at stock height like the Steeda? That's another point for Steeda that I like.

So I'm literally on the fence here. Go with the less-reduction Steeda, or go whole hog and follow the fanbois to MGW bliss?
Old 7/1/14, 07:29 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I posted this to my build thread but it's buried deep down in the Black cars forum, and wanted as wide a base of opinions as possible.

My shifter still needs work. The Energy Suspension bushing did clean it up a bit, but I still get the crunchy feeling when I hustle the shift. In laid back driving, the bushing got rid of the crunchiness. When you're just moving the shifter to the gate and just letting it find the gears, it's fine. But when you put the effort in for a faster shift, much of the time I'm still getting that Triscuit feel.

When it comes to solutions...well, I already hear the "MGW! MGW! MGW!" Lebron-for-MVP chants raining down. My issue is I actually like the throws of the stock shifter, and would prefer a "reduced-reduction" MGW if something like that existed. So I'm contemplating the Steeda Tri-Ax. I don't see a lot about it here, but what I do see is very good (aside from some installation quirks and confusion about the reverse lockout springs) and the throws are a 20% reduction, vs. a 30-40% reduction on every other brand. I'd pair this with either the Steeda bushing, or go to a Barton 2-post. And yes, I realize this puts me within $20 of the MGW. This one will not be a cost-based decision. I know Steeda makes top-notch stuff, and regardless of the throws is going to be a high quality part. One thing I do NOT like, is an Atari Joystick feel to my shifter.

One final question on the MGW, does it sit at stock height like the Steeda? That's another point for Steeda that I like.

So I'm literally on the fence here. Go with the less-reduction Steeda, or go whole hog and follow the fanbois to MGW bliss?
I'm considering the Steeda as well as Barton shifters. Not overly expensive and seem to have good reviews from users. Just my $0.02
Old 7/1/14, 07:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you can I would wait a little, I am currently testing a piece, that is coming out soon, that uses the stock shifter but gets rid of (I would say) all of the shifting issues that comes from the stock shifting configuration. Contact Steve at Blowfish racing for a little more info, unfortunately I am unable to disclose anymore about the unit.
Old 7/1/14, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

The dramatically simpler install is also attractive.

I've written off Barton because of the 40% throw reduction. Too much for me.
Old 7/1/14, 07:54 AM
V6 Member

Lake guy,
I am also considering the steeda shifter for the same reasons. 40% reduced throw seems to much for me. I have the Barton 2 post but am looking for more mechanical feel to the shifter, minus the sponge feel. I may try a Whiteline mount insert before buying a shifter.
Old 7/1/14, 08:01 AM
Banned

The dramatically simpler install is also attractive.

I've written off Barton because of the 40% throw reduction. Too much for me.
I've got to be honest. Simpler install is a big plus for me. I'd consider the Barton because I already have a Barton bracket on. But yes, 40% reduction is a bit much.
Old 7/1/14, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brandon302
If you can I would wait a little, I am currently testing a piece, that is coming out soon, that uses the stock shifter but gets rid of (I would say) all of the shifting issues that comes from the stock shifting configuration. Contact Steve at Blowfish racing for a little more info, unfortunately I am unable to disclose anymore about the unit.
Interesting... Any idea when we can expect to see it on the market?
Old 7/1/14, 08:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Interesting... Any idea when we can expect to see it on the market?
Steve has said by the end of Summer but the thread is right here with more info, http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7918.50
Old 7/1/14, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Steve has said by the end of Summer but the thread is right here with more info, http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7918.50
I suspect it's something in the lower box. Probably the missing link between the shifter/bushing combo, and what makes the MGW a complete shifter package.

That aside, I can't find any examples of complaints about the Steeda. And I just noticed that Steeda has the shifter on for $199 and the shifter/bushing combo for $249. That's a dynamite deal.

EDIT: Same sale @ Steeda, springs (Sport, Ultra-Lite and Comp) for $199 and panhard bar for $135. Great deals!

Last edited by lakeguy77; 7/1/14 at 08:23 AM.
Old 7/1/14, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I'm considering the Steeda as well as Barton shifters. Not overly expensive and seem to have good reviews from users. Just my $0.02
I just learned Barton doesn't like hot weather.
Old 7/1/14, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about this debate anymore. Everyone and their brother seems to have an expert opinion. This or that shifter, this or that bracket, whiteline or not, 40% or 20% or stock. It's all in how you like it, what your budget may be, and the end result.

I personally love the reduced 40% throw of the Barton. I have the stock bushing and shift **** with the stock trans bushing, removed the clutch pedal helper spring. I will probably be upgrading to the 2 post in the future and the updated master cylinder and line when I need to replace my clutch.

Have I had some issues, yes. Were they deal breakers, no. Most of them were operator induced anyway that I'm going to chalk up as these manly meat hooks of hands that I have or installation error.

Do what feels good in the end.
Old 7/1/14, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I don't know about this debate anymore. Everyone and their brother seems to have an expert opinion. This or that shifter, this or that bracket, whiteline or not, 40% or 20% or stock. It's all in how you like it, what your budget may be, and the end result.

I personally love the reduced 40% throw of the Barton. I have the stock bushing and shift **** with the stock trans bushing, removed the clutch pedal helper spring. I will probably be upgrading to the 2 post in the future and the updated master cylinder and line when I need to replace my clutch.

Have I had some issues, yes. Were they deal breakers, no. Most of them were operator induced anyway that I'm going to chalk up as these manly meat hooks of hands that I have or installation error.

Do what feels good in the end.
Great thoughts, thank you. I am pretty set on the Steeda shifter, I guess the MGW crowd is getting in my head a little bit. Definitely appreciate the input.
Old 7/1/14, 10:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I suspect it's something in the lower box. Probably the missing link between the shifter/bushing combo, and what makes the MGW a complete shifter package.
I do agree the MGW is actually a complete package with replacing the shifter and the shift box, however I still there is room for improvement on making the shifts not only precise but also more accurate.
Old 7/1/14, 10:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Our shifter is very popular & comes with a lifetime warranty. This is the same shifter we use in our serialized vehicles that are sold at Ford Dealerships across the country.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help provide sales support or help answer any of your questions.

Here are some customer testimonials:

I've done many mods to my 2011 5.0 GT. Although I have a detuned 566 rwhp, 4.10 gears and a custom look, this has to be my favorite mod I've done. I feel like it changed my muscle car into a true sports car. I like to also give a shout out to Gus who has done nothing but go out of his way to help me build my car. You will not get this service at Roush or Saleen. Thanks. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-tri-ax-....te1XD2yz.dpuf
nally I got my Tri-Ax Shifter and had it installed at the Steeda campus in Pompano Beach today. On the way home I had ample opportunity to get a feel for the new shifter, and I must say, I'm extremely impressed, as with all other Steeda parts I have on my new 5.0. I finally feel that I actually have control over the shifts, versus the rather flimsy OEM stock shifter. The premium shift ball fits perfectly and unless you shift, you wouldn't notice the difference. The shifter height seems to be the same as stock as well. I guess I have to re-learn my shifting when backing up, as I was so used to the stock set-up and very light spring. It's much more difficult with the Steeda shifter to get the car in reverse by accident, which is a big bonus!I would highly recommend this modification to anyone want to get control over precise shifts... Another awesome "must have" product from Steeda! - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-tri-ax-....te1XD2yz.dpuf
And there are more ...

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/1/14, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Our shifter is very popular & comes with a lifetime warranty. This is the same shifter we use in our serialized vehicles that are sold at Ford Dealerships across the country.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help provide sales support or help answer any of your questions.

Here are some customer testimonials:

And there are more ...

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks Tim, I sent you an email this morning with some questions about the shifter, along with a couple of suspension/advice questions.
Old 7/1/14, 12:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello Lakeguy77,

I apologize, but I don't see your email in my inbox or spam folder. Do you think you can resend?

I look forward to working with you.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/1/14, 12:23 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

There's a reason why you hear the endless chants of "MGW!"... the same reasons why stereotypes exist. Not all are true, obviously, but these claims came about for a reason: that is, a significant number of people have experienced it, and thus tout it as "truth", and rightfully so.

I specifically wanted to bring up this quote of yours:

My issue is I actually like the throws of the stock shifter, and would prefer a "reduced-reduction" MGW if something like that existed.
My question is, how do you know you like the throws of the stock shifter better than an MGW or other? Have you actually shifted an MGW or driven an MGW-equipped mustang? I keep hearing folks saying "I like my stock shifter" or "I see no issue with my stock shifter". In almost all instances, they make those claims merely because they just don't know how much better the MGW (or another brand) is over stock. Now if you are one of those rare people who's actually tried an MGW and STILL claims they like the stock one better, then I stand corrected. If that is indeed the case (which I have not heard/met/read about a single person), then the MGW is not for you.

Bottom line, if you want "proven" success, as evidenced by countless of actual users not only here on this forum, but elsewhere, in multiple model year mustangs (old and new), go with MGW. Plain and simple. I have nothing against Steeda or Barton, etc.... to eat my own words, I myself have not shifted either. But I know this, my MGW makes the stock shifter (and Ford) look like a major POS in terms of looks, durability, function, and overall feel.

Last edited by FromZto5; 7/1/14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 7/1/14, 01:27 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

I have driven cars with stock, steeda and MGW.

I have an MGW in both my 04 cobra and 11 shelby. Very tight, no slop at all, precise shifter.

The steeda tri-ax is a nice piece as well. Less effort, more comfortable but less precision in IMO.
Old 7/1/14, 01:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MJJ
I have driven cars with stock, steeda and MGW. I have an MGW in both my 04 cobra and 11 shelby. Very tight, no slop at all, precise shifter. The steeda tri-ax is a nice piece as well. Less effort, more comfortable but less precision in IMO.
I had the MGW in my 03 GT with T-56 swap. I'll have it in my 2014 GT in about a month, after I replenish the bank account a little bit
Old 7/1/14, 03:10 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MJJ
I have driven cars with stock, steeda and MGW.

I have an MGW in both my 04 cobra and 11 shelby. Very tight, no slop at all, precise shifter.

The steeda tri-ax is a nice piece as well. Less effort, more comfortable but less precision in IMO.
There you are Sean! Maybe I should have driven either/both of your cars when I was there, just to make sure you weren't lying

Kidding...

There's a reason why we have MGW's in our cars. I too, obviously, have driven stock. And yes, I too, thought it was "good". Little did I know. What basis did I have to compare to? lol.... enter MGW. My first words after I installed. "HOLY SH..!!!!" Stock doesn't even come close.

Originally Posted by laserred38
I had the MGW in my 03 GT with T-56 swap. I'll have it in my 2014 GT in about a month, after I replenish the bank account a little bit
Another mod suggestion from me that you followed???

Quick Reply: Shifter Help