2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Shifter Help

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/14, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have driven one other Mustang with a short throw. It was a 2012 V6 with an unknown short throw (was a trade in at the dealership I work at). I'm thinking it was likely a Barton, because it had, as I described earlier, an Atari joystick feel....meaning the throws were so short, you weren't sure if you'd gone all the way from 1 to 2, 3 to 4, etc. I did not like it at all. It did feel extremely solid and there was no crunchiness or grindiness whatsoever, but it didn't feel "right" to me. I wanted more throw. I wasn't there on the day they had the car in the air to see what was there for a bushing replacement.

Precision? Solid feel? Quality build? All very important.

A short throw? That's not why I'm doing this, and it's why I started by looking at the Steeda. The reason I'm asking about the MGW is because of the rave reviews it gets.

In my Subaru's I've run adjustable short throw shifters. You can literally adjust the throw anywhere from a 15% reduction all the way to 40-45%. I always ended up adjusting that thing to the long end of the throw range. That's where it was comfortable. My current Legacy has a fixed short throw with a ~25% reduction that I've been very happy with. The reason I like the throws in my Mustang is because the throws are very very similar to my Legacy in its current configuration. It's very "comfortable" or "familiar" to me. Under light cruising, I can shift with my finger tips.

I have no friends/peers with Mustangs that I can try, so I'm putting an unusual amount of reliance on the forums for this one. I realize a forum will never build consensus, but that the MGW seems about as close to consensus as it gets. And I'm sure that's justified. But it's the throw reduction that has me concerned, and the significant amount of work involved paired with the fear that I won't like it and want to yank it out that has me looking elsewhere. But based on all the positive reviews, I can't ignore it as an option.
Old 7/1/14, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Hello Lakeguy77,

I apologize, but I don't see your email in my inbox or spam folder. Do you think you can resend?

I look forward to working with you.

Best Regards,

TJ
I've been having trouble with one of my email addy's, I just tried resending from my other primary one.
Old 7/1/14, 04:29 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I have driven one other Mustang with a short throw. It was a 2012 V6 with an unknown short throw (was a trade in at the dealership I work at). I'm thinking it was likely a Barton, because it had, as I described earlier, an Atari joystick feel....meaning the throws were so short, you weren't sure if you'd gone all the way from 1 to 2, 3 to 4, etc. I did not like it at all. It did feel extremely solid and there was no crunchiness or grindiness whatsoever, but it didn't feel "right" to me. I wanted more throw. I wasn't there on the day they had the car in the air to see what was there for a bushing replacement. Precision? Solid feel? Quality build? All very important. A short throw? That's not why I'm doing this, and it's why I started by looking at the Steeda. The reason I'm asking about the MGW is because of the rave reviews it gets. In my Subaru's I've run adjustable short throw shifters. You can literally adjust the throw anywhere from a 15% reduction all the way to 40-45%. I always ended up adjusting that thing to the long end of the throw range. That's where it was comfortable. My current Legacy has a fixed short throw with a ~25% reduction that I've been very happy with. The reason I like the throws in my Mustang is because the throws are very very similar to my Legacy in its current configuration. It's very "comfortable" or "familiar" to me. Under light cruising, I can shift with my finger tips. I have no friends/peers with Mustangs that I can try, so I'm putting an unusual amount of reliance on the forums for this one. I realize a forum will never build consensus, but that the MGW seems about as close to consensus as it gets. And I'm sure that's justified. But it's the throw reduction that has me concerned, and the significant amount of work involved paired with the fear that I won't like it and want to yank it out that has me looking elsewhere. But based on all the positive reviews, I can't ignore it as an option.
I can confirm, for a fact, that's the throws in the MGW have been reduced by about 20 to 25% from stock. Or perfection in my opinion.
Old 7/1/14, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I can confirm, for a fact, that's the throws in the MGW have been reduced by about 20 to 25% from stock. Or perfection in my opinion.
One other question: Will it accept a factory-fit shift ****? As I have yet to have my right hand branded with a 6-speed shift pattern, I'm still in love with my 401A ****. Seems from the instructional video that it will but I've read elsewhere that there are options for other sizes, but I don't see this on their website.
Old 7/1/14, 05:14 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
One other question: Will it accept a factory-fit shift ****? As I have yet to have my right hand branded with a 6-speed shift pattern, I'm still in love with my 401A ****. Seems from the instructional video that it will but I've read elsewhere that there are options for other sizes, but I don't see this on their website.
Just make sure you emphasize you need an M12x1.25 shaft. That's the stock size I believe. Mine was an M12x1.75 coarse. It was one of the earlier models. So I bought special MGW ***** at that time.
Old 7/1/14, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

MGW makes impulse buying impossible for Canadians, orders gotta be called in. Going to sleep on it and wait for Steeda to email me back (wanting to order other stuff from them anyways) and take it from there.
Old 7/1/14, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
There's a reason why you hear the endless chants of "MGW!"... the same reasons why stereotypes exist. Not all are true, obviously, but these claims came about for a reason: that is, a significant number of people have experienced it, and thus tout it as "truth", and rightfully so.

I specifically wanted to bring up this quote of yours:

My question is, how do you know you like the throws of the stock shifter better than an MGW or other? Have you actually shifted an MGW or driven an MGW-equipped mustang? I keep hearing folks saying "I like my stock shifter" or "I see no issue with my stock shifter". In almost all instances, they make those claims merely because they just don't know how much better the MGW (or another brand) is over stock. Now if you are one of those rare people who's actually tried an MGW and STILL claims they like the stock one better, then I stand corrected. If that is indeed the case (which I have not heard/met/read about a single person), then the MGW is not for you.

Bottom line, if you want "proven" success, as evidenced by countless of actual users not only here on this forum, but elsewhere, in multiple model year mustangs (old and new), go with MGW. Plain and simple. I have nothing against Steeda or Barton, etc.... to eat my own words, I myself have not shifted either. But I know this, my MGW makes the stock shifter (and Ford) look like a major POS in terms of looks, durability, function, and overall feel.

Well said and I completely agree.
I bought my MGW after watching the install videos and seeing the comparison between it and the stock shifter. I was looking for something that gave me the solid old school feel of a trans mounted shifter and the MGW delivered. And to be honest the throw reduction was the furthest thing on my mind, in fact I don't even think I noticed the difference because I was so stoked to have a shifter that hit every gear flawlessly in all situations.
Also I opted not to get the aftermarket ****, so I'm still rocking the factory look.
Old 7/1/14, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys are definitely making great arguments for the MGW, and I'm being swayed...gradually...but I am being swayed. I think it's because of the MGW that there just isn't a lot of info on the Steeda shifter out there for the 11-14 cars. It seems to be more popular (and well-reviewed) for older models.

I'm gonna go wash my car and think it over.
Old 7/1/14, 07:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You guys are definitely making great arguments for the MGW, and I'm being swayed...gradually...but I am being swayed. I think it's because of the MGW that there just isn't a lot of info on the Steeda shifter out there for the 11-14 cars. It seems to be more popular (and well-reviewed) for older models.

I'm gonna go wash my car and think it over.
I would say if you are going to spend your money get the MGW since it is a complete package and not just a different shifter that sits on the stock box.
Old 7/2/14, 08:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I would say if you are going to spend your money get the MGW since it is a complete package and not just a different shifter that sits on the stock box.

Yes I agree
Old 7/2/14, 08:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Saw this on Instagram last night lol!
Attached Thumbnails Shifter Help-image-3904939507.jpg  
Old 7/2/14, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I keep reading the title of this thread without the f
Old 7/2/14, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Before I committed to buying the MGW, I researched it to death. Took the advice of a Boss 302 owner who had personally installed and tested the Barton, Steeda, and MGW. All were a great improvement over OEM, but he said the MGW was just better than the others. I now have 20k miles on my MGW and love it.

My wife has a stock 11 GT, and whenever I drive hers, I'm reminded how much better the MGW is for the 'enthusiast' who likes to rev high and get the most enjoyment out their V6/V8 6MT.
Old 7/2/14, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I keep reading the title of this thread without the f
Plumbing issues I can handle.
Old 7/2/14, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I have the MGW, and I recommend it as well. I have had it on my car for a year and a half, and I would not trade it for anything. MGW is also always improving the design. The MGW replaces the lower shift box, as well as the upper and you get the rear bracket. With mine they included 2 bushings, and I installed the 'softer' of the 2. One was for those who track a lot. The entire unit is very well made, beautiful craftsmanship.

Yes you can order it so that you can still use the stock ****, let them know when you order.

I have not tried the Steeda or Barton shifters, but those who have them swear by them as well. I dont think you can go wrong with any of those 3. It boils down to how much do you want to spend? Good luck and let us know what you choose.
Old 7/2/14, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Before I committed to buying the MGW, I researched it to death. Took the advice of a Boss 302 owner who had personally installed and tested the Barton, Steeda, and MGW. All were a great improvement over OEM, but he said the MGW was just better than the others. I now have 20k miles on my MGW and love it.

My wife has a stock 11 GT, and whenever I drive hers, I'm reminded how much better the MGW is for the 'enthusiast' who likes to rev high and get the most enjoyment out their V6/V8 6MT.
Can you enlighten me a little more on the comparisons between them? Is it just simply the complete assembly replacement that solidifies everything?

My biggest thing is, will the MGW get rid of the crunch you get hustling 2nd and 3rd gears? Or am I still going to be looking at a fluid replacement (Redline MTL or similar)?
Old 7/2/14, 09:01 PM

Another +1 vote for the MGW shifter.

I just installed mine about a month ago. As I get used to it and let the shifter springs do the shifting I like it even more. The springs are a little on the stiff side but its worth it for the positive feel it gives to the shifter. It took me some tweaking of the reverse stop to get my 1-2 shift smooth like it should be. I run the stiffer optional rear "track use" bushing that came with the kit and it doesn't feel too rough either. The 2014 edition has been updated to have the thread size for the stock shifter as standard and use the factory shift boot. The MGW is a little more work because you have to install the shifter box along with the additional heat and vibration shielding. I figure since your under the car anyway to replace the rear bushing assembly you might as well replace everything and make it bullet proof.

All I can say is the MGW is the real deal and is a complete package that is worth every penny. The two best mods I made to my driving experience so far is the MGW shifter and the 1.5" Bondra clutch pedal extension.
Old 7/3/14, 01:06 AM
Cobra Member

Can you enlighten me a little more on the comparisons between them? Is it just simply the complete assembly replacement that solidifies everything?

My biggest thing is, will the MGW get rid of the crunch you get hustling 2nd and 3rd gears? Or am I still going to be looking at a fluid replacement (Redline MTL or similar)?
It was the feel and positive shifts that rated 'better' IIRC...

I still can miss a redline 2-3 shift if I'm not paying close attention to let the shifter guide the stick into the gate. I have had others drive my car and finding 3rd can be a challenge, I guess it all depends on the technique.

So while the MGW is a superior shifter, there is no guarantee it will resolve your 2-3 issue. There are a few guys a bossmustangsonline, including Rick (moderator) who still have issues after replacing the shifter, the clutch line, and fluid. Read through that forum if you want more insight before buying.

Some folks have started by simply replacing the rear bracket, and go from there. Upgrading the bracket at the minimum may resolve the 2-3 issue, but you wouldn't have the more solid feel you get replacing the whole unit.
Old 7/3/14, 04:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the MGW for a few months now. I still love it. It transforms the car. The stock shifter is garbage. I have no problem bashing it on here where Ford reps can see. Wait until you see what it looks like and you hold it in your hands after it gets removed. I gaurantee you will have a "what the ef?" Look on your face.
Old 7/3/14, 05:15 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am sure there are a lot of good shifters out there, I have always went with MGW. This is my 3rd car now that I have put a MGW in and it is normally the first mod I do.

My 03 Cobra was the first car I put it in after purchasing other brands, once I drove an 03 with a MGW I was sold and there was no going back. The 97 Cobra got one right after I got it home, same thing with the 13.

Too bad that there's not a forum member there around you so you could check one out. Just feeling the throw and positive shifts I think would have you sold.

Quick Reply: Shifter Help