2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Shifter Help

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/14, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
It was the feel and positive shifts that rated 'better' IIRC...

I still can miss a redline 2-3 shift if I'm not paying close attention to let the shifter guide the stick into the gate. I have had others drive my car and finding 3rd can be a challenge, I guess it all depends on the technique.

So while the MGW is a superior shifter, there is no guarantee it will resolve your 2-3 issue. There are a few guys a bossmustangsonline, including Rick (moderator) who still have issues after replacing the shifter, the clutch line, and fluid. Read through that forum if you want more insight before buying.

Some folks have started by simply replacing the rear bracket, and go from there. Upgrading the bracket at the minimum may resolve the 2-3 issue, but you wouldn't have the more solid feel you get replacing the whole unit.
For me I don't have an issue missing gears, it just feels like shoving a stick into a box of rocks going into both 2nd and 3rd when you try to hurry the shift. I started with the cheapest possible upgrade, the energy suspension bushing in the stock bracket. It made a difference and improved it probably 50-60% of the time. I'm just wondering if this crunchy feeling is a slop issue somewhere, that MGW's tank-like construction just eliminates every possible area of movement that leads to that feeling?
Old 7/3/14, 07:34 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
For me I don't have an issue missing gears, it just feels like shoving a stick into a box of rocks going into both 2nd and 3rd when you try to hurry the shift. I started with the cheapest possible upgrade, the energy suspension bushing in the stock bracket. It made a difference and improved it probably 50-60% of the time. I'm just wondering if this crunchy feeling is a slop issue somewhere, that MGW's tank-like construction just eliminates every possible area of movement that leads to that feeling?
Lake... The answer to all your questions is yes. Not sure how many more folks have to chime in here to tell you how good the MGW is. I'm trying to understand your hesitation. Is it cost? Is it the installation process? I'm confused. What more are you looking for?

Obviously you won't truly know until you try it for yourself. I get that. But please, for the love of Pete's accept the fact that the MGW is far superior than the stock or any other bushing/bracket solution.

Get one already. Call MGW now and order one.

Old 7/3/14, 08:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Trigger has been pulled. Friendly folks over there.
Old 7/3/14, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Well done sir. I'm curious to hear what you have to say after you have it installed. And how hard the install was
Old 7/3/14, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm pretty handy, I used to pull engines out of my cars on my own, but after I started working in a shop I got lazy. There's a fair bit of somewhat delicate/tight spaces work but I can manage it. I did the Boss side pipes with only jackstands on the front, rear on the ground. It was tight but I made it happen.
Old 7/3/14, 09:54 AM
I Have No Life

Lol about time. I'd like to think I helped make this event happen
Old 7/3/14, 10:54 AM

After weighing in all the info I am glad you made the choice to go MGW. I am also interested to see how it goes for you. I put mine on within the first 1000 miles so I would't do any damage to my tranny with the stock shifter installed.
Old 7/4/14, 04:18 AM
Cobra Member

Some install tips here, go ahead and order a DSS shaft to make the install easier.. The strap wrench is only needed for Boss or 401A metal ****.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2653.0
Old 7/4/14, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent news, You won't be disappointed.

I'm pretty handy, I used to pull engines out of my cars on my own, but after I started working in a shop I got lazy. There's a fair bit of somewhat delicate/tight spaces work but I can manage it. I did the Boss side pipes with only jackstands on the front, rear on the ground. It was tight but I made it happen.

I did my MGW install the same way so you'll do fine.
Old 7/4/14, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Some install tips here, go ahead and order a DSS shaft to make the install easier.. The strap wrench is only needed for Boss or 401A metal ****.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2653.0
Wow, good link, thanks.
Old 7/4/14, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
I did my MGW install the same way so you'll do fine.
I'm not a big dude so working under the car like that on a low-profile creeper is fine by me.

One thing I'm bad at though is documenting progress and issues. Half the time I even forget to take a "before" photo. :P Really helpful that there are those folks out there that are good and mindful of it to document their difficulties for the rest of us.
Old 7/4/14, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm not a big dude so working under the car like that on a low-profile creeper is fine by me.

One thing I'm bad at though is documenting progress and issues. Half the time I even forget to take a "before" photo. :P Really helpful that there are those folks out there that are good and mindful of it to document their difficulties for the rest of us.

Yeah I took a few pics initially but after I got involved in the assembly I forgot about it.
The directions are pretty good but make sure and watch the install vids on youtube a couple times before hand.
Old 7/4/14, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
Yeah I took a few pics initially but after I got involved in the assembly I forgot about it.
The directions are pretty good but make sure and watch the install vids on youtube a couple times before hand.
I watched them a couple times just deciding if I was up for the job.

I'm sure I'll watch them a few more times waiting for the shifter, and have a screen up in the garage to review different parts of it while I'm working. I have a pathological need to do it right the first time. I HATE taking things apart again that I've already put back together.
Old 7/4/14, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

If do it right the first time is your thing then the MGW was the right choice.
Old 7/9/14, 04:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I'm going to make the switch I think as well. After struggling more than I should have had to on the Ring Sunday and driving my buddies 14 Shelby with it's buttery shift feel I'm in need of something with less effort. The Barton has been much better than the stock shifter but I still have the stock bushing too. I get a grind going into 5th sometimes for some reason. I'm going to put the stock shifter back in and put it up for sale I think and get the MGW. I'm looking forward to the review from the OP once he gets his in.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 7/9/14 at 05:01 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 06:13 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
And I'm going to make the switch I think as well. After struggling more than I should have had to on the Ring Sunday and driving my buddies 14 Shelby with it's buttery shift feel I'm in need of something with less effort. The Barton has been much better than the stock shifter but I still have the stock bushing too. I get a grind going into 5th sometimes for some reason. I'm going to put the stock shifter back in and put it up for sale I think and get the MGW. I'm looking forward to the review from the OP once he gets his in.
Steve what about all the other folks' reviews of their own MGW? What are we, chopped liver? I've only been singing MGW praises for, oh, 3 years? Lol . Kidding. Am glad you're making the switch.

Last edited by FromZto5; 7/9/14 at 06:28 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 06:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you need an M12x1.25 shaft. Thanks for the Tip FromZto5!

I have no doubt in my mind that an aftermarket shifter like from MGW would greatly enhance and refine anyone's driving experience. I wish there was someone around me that had one that would allow me to get a feel for it and see how it is!

Hey Lakeguy, PLEASE keep me posted. short throw shifters has always been something that I've done to my cars as well and I haven't bothered for the mustang, yet.

in fact, I bought a 2 piece barton bracket on a private sale for $50 which is in mint condition and still haven't installed it because I am happy with the stock performance of the shifter.

I'm so confused as to why everyone is having issue with shifting from one aspect or another. Could it be relating to GT's?

I normally take country roads home to avoid bumper to bumper grinding on the highway in the the afternoons at the end of my workday. Just yesterday I hammered into 2nd from 1st and then again into 3rd. I don't feel what you've described "putting a stick into a box of rocks" i don't feel grinding or misfiring or anything of the nature. and yes. I red-lined 1st, and 2nd, chirping each gear.

You seem to have a good grip around what's going on and already have a new shifter on order (Congrats!) I'm not trying to diagnose or help you troubleshoot your issue, I'm don't see how I could even help you as this point. I'm just trying to understand it and try to relate it with my driving experience of my own car.

what RPM's were you at when changing gears when you felt the stick/box example?
Old 7/10/14, 12:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Steve what about all the other folks' reviews of their own MGW? What are we, chopped liver? I've only been singing MGW praises for, oh, 3 years? Lol . Kidding. Am glad you're making the switch.
No Burton, you aren't chopped liver. It's one of those things where you don't want to leap off the high dive just yet. I'm falling now though. I'm taking the Barton out this weekend to put it up for sale.
Old 7/10/14, 05:28 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
you need an M12x1.25 shaft. Thanks for the Tip FromZto5! I have no doubt in my mind that an aftermarket shifter like from MGW would greatly enhance and refine anyone's driving experience. I wish there was someone around me that had one that would allow me to get a feel for it and see how it is! Hey Lakeguy, PLEASE keep me posted. short throw shifters has always been something that I've done to my cars as well and I haven't bothered for the mustang, yet. in fact, I bought a 2 piece barton bracket on a private sale for $50 which is in mint condition and still haven't installed it because I am happy with the stock performance of the shifter. I'm so confused as to why everyone is having issue with shifting from one aspect or another. Could it be relating to GT's? I normally take country roads home to avoid bumper to bumper grinding on the highway in the the afternoons at the end of my workday. Just yesterday I hammered into 2nd from 1st and then again into 3rd. I don't feel what you've described "putting a stick into a box of rocks" i don't feel grinding or misfiring or anything of the nature. and yes. I red-lined 1st, and 2nd, chirping each gear. You seem to have a good grip around what's going on and already have a new shifter on order (Congrats!) I'm not trying to diagnose or help you troubleshoot your issue, I'm don't see how I could even help you as this point. I'm just trying to understand it and try to relate it with my driving experience of my own car. what RPM's were you at when changing gears when you felt the stick/box example?
No prob Joe. Anytime
Old 7/10/14, 07:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I'm so confused as to why everyone is having issue with shifting from one aspect or another. Could it be relating to GT's?

I normally take country roads home to avoid bumper to bumper grinding on the highway in the the afternoons at the end of my workday. Just yesterday I hammered into 2nd from 1st and then again into 3rd. I don't feel what you've described "putting a stick into a box of rocks" i don't feel grinding or misfiring or anything of the nature. and yes. I red-lined 1st, and 2nd, chirping each gear.

My shifter/shifting was pretty darn good as well.....for about 9000 miles. Now I'm noticing more and more....something. Slop, harder to get into gears, etc. Every time it happens, I blame myself. But I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm sold on getting a MGW. Just don't feel like installing it. But if my shifting gets worse, I'll have to make the jump soon.

Last edited by Ace Red; 7/10/14 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Shifter Help