2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Shifter Help

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/14, 07:53 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace Red
My shifter/shifting was pretty darn good as well.....for about 9000 miles. Now I'm noticing more and more....something. Slop, harder to get into gears, etc. Every time it happens, I blame myself. But I'm not so sure anymore. I'm sold on getting a MGW. Just don't feel like installing it. But if my shifting gets worse, I'll have to make the jump soon.
The install is easy and fun. Am not sure of the concern.
Old 7/10/14, 08:42 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
you need an M12x1.25 shaft. Thanks for the Tip FromZto5!

I have no doubt in my mind that an aftermarket shifter like from MGW would greatly enhance and refine anyone's driving experience. I wish there was someone around me that had one that would allow me to get a feel for it and see how it is!

Hey Lakeguy, PLEASE keep me posted. short throw shifters has always been something that I've done to my cars as well and I haven't bothered for the mustang, yet.

in fact, I bought a 2 piece barton bracket on a private sale for $50 which is in mint condition and still haven't installed it because I am happy with the stock performance of the shifter.

I'm so confused as to why everyone is having issue with shifting from one aspect or another. Could it be relating to GT's?

I normally take country roads home to avoid bumper to bumper grinding on the highway in the the afternoons at the end of my workday. Just yesterday I hammered into 2nd from 1st and then again into 3rd. I don't feel what you've described "putting a stick into a box of rocks" i don't feel grinding or misfiring or anything of the nature. and yes. I red-lined 1st, and 2nd, chirping each gear.

You seem to have a good grip around what's going on and already have a new shifter on order (Congrats!) I'm not trying to diagnose or help you troubleshoot your issue, I'm don't see how I could even help you as this point. I'm just trying to understand it and try to relate it with my driving experience of my own car.

what RPM's were you at when changing gears when you felt the stick/box example?
The biggest issue for the stock shifter for me is when shifting you feel the whole thing move. When shfiting hard from 1st to 2nd, it feels like there is no bracing of the shifter.

This is not the case with the MGW and is why most people try the brace first. The MGW shifter is just solid and you feel it in every shift you make.
Old 7/10/14, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Shifting the stock shifter feels like this - popping your elbow or cracking a knuckle. It's especially bad when hurrying or trying to rip off a quick 1-2 and 2-3. Completely missed 3rd again today. Just hit the brick wall. Even when I consciously don't grip the shifter as hard as I did with my T-56 and MGW; I man handle the 1-2, then loosen my grip and let the springs guide the 2-3...right into a brick wall lol
Old 7/10/14, 08:45 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by tbone004
The biggest issue for the stock shifter for me is ......it feels like there is no bracing of the shifter..
Oh there is bracing.... Problem is, it's ZIPTIES!!! Lol
Old 7/10/14, 08:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you live near the shop (MGW), the owner will *install it for free* if you call and make an appointment. Otherwise, think about paying a local shop for 2.5-3 hours labor.

It's really not that hard.
Old 7/11/14, 04:47 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Oh there is bracing.... Problem is, it's ZIPTIES!!! Lol
Yea, I agree with that. Feels like the zip tie is stretching and the 2nd gear gate is a moving target.

First time ripping through the gears, I knew this shifter wouldn't be in the car long. Of course I pretty much knew that sitting at the dealer signing the papers, I have always had MGW shifters in my cars.

The install is not that bad since they went to using the stock boot, I did mine on Rhino ramps and let my son do the bolts under the car since he is A LOT thinner than me he could reach the bottom side.
Old 7/11/14, 02:25 PM
V6 Member

Just my two cents as I did the same thing from the beginning and ordered a Steeda for my 2011 GT because I had great luck with one in my 2003 GT. The one for my 2011 GT though had an issue with the spring for putting it in reverse. The spring stopped popping the shifter up and you had to manually pull the thing up to take it out of reverse. I had to end up sending it back. Replaced it with an MGW. Pain in the butt to install but significantly better.
Old 8/2/14, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's Saturday. It's raining. Today's the day.
Old 8/2/14, 10:20 AM
V6 Member

Looking forward to your review.....
Old 8/2/14, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

The MGW is in the car. Install wasn't bad at all. I had a tablet nearby with the install video on screen and just followed the video step by step. Started at 10am, took a break at 11:30 to have a bite. Was done by 1pm. Considering I followed the 45 minute video as I did it, a grand total of 3 hours including a lunch break is good. I also did it with jackstands only under the front of the car.

I would say, if you're doing an X or H pipe install during the same time-frame, do it all at the same time, and install the MGW with the exhaust off the car. The extra elbow room will be welcome. I did it with the exhaust in the car and it went fine, but lying on my back on a creeper it was tight work when two hands were needed.

A couple things that really helped over and above the tools MGW recommends in the video:

1. Mini LED trouble light with magnetic clip (stick on wherever to see what you're doing)

2. Mac Tools magnetic tool tray...basically a metal tray with two big magnets on the bottom. You can stick the tray itself to whatever, but I used it to sort the hardware for each step under the car. Stays right in place in the tray so you can grab it without looking in tight confines under the car.

3. Instead of a T-handle hex key, I used a bit that mounts to a 1/4" socket extension. The cap screws to attach the shifter to the lower box are surprisingly hard to turn and a ratchet gives more leverage and the extensions make just turning those screws down much easier.

I have no driving impressions yet. The rain has stopped and I'm just waiting for the streets to dry up to go for a drive. Just working it through the gates in the garage, the throws weren't shortened as much as I was expecting. I consider that a very, very good thing. Effort is equivalent to the stock shifter as well but it does hit the gates with more precision. So far so good.
Old 8/2/14, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

First drive with the MGW is complete. Only about 15-20 minutes total to and from the grocery store, but it's definitely a game changer. Has taken care of everything I was hoping for, the crunchiness is gone. The gates are clearly defined and the throws are not atari-joystick short.

As an added bonus, it's taken care of an annoying noise that I thought was either heatshields or a release bearing noise under very light throttle and feathering the clutch, which I did not expect. The heatshield/insulation and additional strips of dynamat have isolated some vibrations that I wasn't even noticing before, but now that they're gone, the car feels more upscale and refined. The shifter does require a bit more effort than stock, but not much more and the action is so beautifully smooth.

The MGW makes this car just that little bit more rewarding to drive, and I'm so very happy that I caved to peer pressure.
Old 8/2/14, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the info! I was looking forward to your review. Sounds like you're another satisfied MGW customer.
Old 8/3/14, 06:32 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
First drive with the MGW is complete. Only about 15-20 minutes total to and from the grocery store, but it's definitely a game changer. Has taken care of everything I was hoping for, the crunchiness is gone. The gates are clearly defined and the throws are not atari-joystick short. As an added bonus, it's taken care of an annoying noise that I thought was either heatshields or a release bearing noise under very light throttle and feathering the clutch, which I did not expect. The heatshield/insulation and additional strips of dynamat have isolated some vibrations that I wasn't even noticing before, but now that they're gone, the car feels more upscale and refined. The shifter does require a bit more effort than stock, but not much more and the action is so beautifully smooth. The MGW makes this car just that little bit more rewarding to drive, and I'm so very happy that I caved to peer pressure.
Woohoo!!! Congrats buddy! Glad you are enjoying it. Now you have to be like us, and help convince other doubters who claim their stock shifter is "great"... Lol
Old 8/3/14, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! I feel the same way. The MGW is such a big improvement.
Old 8/3/14, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Ugh... I can't wait to get mine!
Old 8/5/14, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just an update on the shifter bracket I had suggested waiting for, finally is out http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7918.125
Old 8/5/14, 02:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
Just an update on the shifter bracket I had suggested waiting for, finally is out http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7918.125
I wish they would provide some finished pics. It's hard to tell what you're getting and where it mounts with the cad prints...

Edit looked at it again and it's pretty obvious. This looks like a stout piece. I may have to push my catback back a month and get this at the intro price to install WITH my MGW...

Last edited by laserred38; 8/5/14 at 02:28 PM.
Old 8/5/14, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
This looks like the problem solver for the shifting issues. The 15 has a change to the shifter rod. Has anyone seen the new one? How much does the transmission move in these cars? Just wondering if it will be an issue?
Old 8/5/14, 03:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I wish they would provide some finished pics. It's hard to tell what you're getting and where it mounts with the cad prints...

Edit looked at it again and it's pretty obvious. This looks like a stout piece. I may have to push my catback back a month and get this at the intro price to install WITH my MGW...
I would greatly suggest it, now since the mount is solid there is a slight increase in NVH, I can't hear it at all with the windows open or the radio playing with the windows closed, but it is so worth it to not worry about hitting the right gear especially when rolling down back roads. There also seems to be a bit of a relearn period with Blowfish's mount since the shifter doesn't move at all but that is a good problem to have IMO.
Old 8/6/14, 06:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
very cool! looks like a must have for most of you running the GT esp SC applications!

Doubt I would need something like this.

Its interesting to get any views on a lot of you that have claimed the MGW has fixed all of your shifting problems. Are you still going to consider this? I probably would, why not!

Quick Reply: Shifter Help