Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear Window Louvers

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/10, 05:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyW
Hey, it could be a lot worse. The kid could be driving around a four-cylinder Hyundai with exhaust pipes that would be oversized on a Greyhound bus.
I got converted before that happened. I don't like ricers, but there are some out there that are nicely done. I don't mind those, plus I still want me a 240sx with a Skyline enigne swap .
Old 2/16/10, 05:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Protege had the Mazdaspeed kit on it, complete with wing on the back, but it wasn't that bad.

That's as wild as it ever got for me...
Old 2/16/10, 06:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BA Mustang
I got converted before that happened. I don't like ricers, but there are some out there that are nicely done. I don't mind those, plus I still want me a 240sx with a Skyline enigne swap .
I've got absolutely nothing against Japanese/Korean/whatever cars in general. I just think it's funny how teenagers believe that if they put an obnoxiously loud exhaust system on a 140 hp car, it will fool people into thinking they've got a rocket under the hood. It's as ridiculous on a Cavalier as it is on a Civic, I just see a lot more Japanese economy cars that have been "blinged out" by the local teenagers.

At least they've stopped using small diameter wheels and tires that are mounted so that they stick out two inches from the fenders. Where the hell did that trend start?
Old 2/16/10, 06:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great. Maybe it will be enough just to show him this thread, then it won't be coming from his old man.
Old 2/16/10, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've got absolutely nothing against Japanese/Korean/whatever cars in general. I just think it's funny how teenagers believe that if they put an obnoxiously loud exhaust system on a 140 hp car, it will fool people into thinking they've got a rocket under the hood. It's as ridiculous on a Cavalier as it is on a Civic, I just see a lot more Japanese economy cars that have been "blinged out" by the local teenagers.

At least they've stopped using small diameter wheels and tires that are mounted so that they stick out two inches from the fenders. Where the hell did that trend start?
Yeah, that was sort of the pimp thing to do for awhile. But then it swung 180 degrees the other way, and it's 36" rims with 1mm thick tires. And of course, for the majority that can't afford that, it's fart cans and wings that would do a bi-plane proud.
Old 2/17/10, 08:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was in high school (1980-84) the big thing was to have ANY 2 door American car from the 1970's. It wouldn't have to be any kind of performance car, it could be a Ford Maverick, AMC Hornet, Olsdmobile Cutlass Supreme, whatever. Then they would jack up the rear end a good 3 or 4 inches, lower the front end an inch or so, and put on Keystone or Cragar wheels with extra wide tires in the rear. Oh yeah, and a "glasspack" muffler. I never cared for the look myself.
Old 2/17/10, 09:00 AM
GTR Member

It's not what they drive, it's what they do to it.

The sad thing is I've seen plenty of 99-04 V6 Mustangs that need to be taken out back and given the 'Old Yeller' treatment. No one in their right mind should put Erebuni body kits and Saleen wings on an otherwise stock car. Not to mention ridiculous 14000K HIDs, Pepboy's exhaust (universal of course), and some wheels they bought at Sears Auto.
Old 2/17/10, 03:27 PM
GT Member

I'm withyou guys, I laugh at the people that are driving honda's etc, and have an erector set for the spoiler in the back, like really you think that looks cool? And yes I know I drive a burner (hyundai), circumstances not by choice *divorce, cough divorce* but not for much longer!!
Old 7/27/10, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Show him the way to properly mod a car, without going overboard on the tack on nonsense?

Fathers don't let sons create domestic rice.
I completely disagree. The presence of rear window louvers on '69 mach (my first car by the way) automatically makes it NOT RICE! They provide function in that they cool the car, aesthetically everything is a matter of personal taste. I personally Love them and will likely add them to my 2011.
Old 7/27/10, 03:38 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I LOVE the 69/70 rear louvers+wing...some like them, some dont, but to me that was the coolest looking car of all time.

on the 05+, I LOVE the SHR louvers, they look like they shoulda came that way to me...however, in searching for rear slats, I still havent seen a set that really fits the way I'd like...the closest were those on the PJSaleen(roush maybe?), but to me they still seemed a little misfitting...looking at the car, the top has to be flat, the bottom curved, causing each slat to need to be a separate stamping to really contour it to fit the car. The PJ ones are close, but something about them still seemed like it coulda been a better fit- my biggest dislike is they seem to bulge up and/or leave glass exposed at the bottom of the window, and on some of the stick-on sets, you can see daylight under the top slat...I think a slightly different contour with modded 4 link trunk hinge for clearance would make a 'perfect' set possible, but theyd be a lot of work to make...maybe someday I'll make a set to make the 06 look a little more like my old one...till then though, I'll always love this look:
Attached Images  
Old 7/27/10, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
+1 I hate the way louvers look. Just my .02
I'm with ya on that.
Old 7/28/10, 06:59 AM
Cobra R Member

When I was in high school (1980-84) the big thing was to have ANY 2 door American car from the 1970's. It wouldn't have to be any kind of performance car, it could be a Ford Maverick, AMC Hornet, Olsdmobile Cutlass Supreme, whatever. Then they would jack up the rear end a good 3 or 4 inches, lower the front end an inch or so, and put on Keystone or Cragar wheels with extra wide tires in the rear. Oh yeah, and a "glasspack" muffler. I never cared for the look myself.
LMAO... that brings back memories. I had my own set of rubber spring inserts for my '65 Chevelle. They never stayed in.
Old 7/28/10, 07:45 AM
Banned

+1 lol

Rear window louvers served a purpose in our day -- quality window tint didn't exist yet and not only did it keep the car cool but it darkened the interior of the car enough to make the back seat hard to see into. If you know what I mean ...
Old 7/28/10, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

i had the louvers on my 05 and loved them, definitly keeps the inside of the car really cool
Old 7/28/10, 09:36 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by eric n
I completely disagree. The presence of rear window louvers on '69 mach (my first car by the way) automatically makes it NOT RICE! They provide function in that they cool the car, aesthetically everything is a matter of personal taste. I personally Love them and will likely add them to my 2011.
They look fantastic on older cars, but on the new models, they look tacky and out of place.
Old 7/28/10, 10:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
They look fantastic on older cars, but on the new models, they look tacky and out of place.
Obviously a matter of taste. I had them on my 05 and got compliments on them daily. Not from ricer kids either. Very popular with successful adults both male and female. Again, taste is a very personal thing.
Old 7/28/10, 10:08 PM
Cobra Member

I really don't expect that I would do this install myself. That said, is it a 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour job. What would you expect. Would you go to a glass installer, a body shop, a 18 year old thai "massage" therapist..... I mean a generic garage???.

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
The best one to me, if I were to do it, is silver horse racing's flush louvers. But it's a lot more work than just taping something on, it replaces the whole window... But if done correctly, it can look good. But to each their own!

Here's their site.

Old 7/29/10, 11:38 AM
GT Member

I really don't expect that I would do this install myself. That said, is it a 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour job. What would you expect. Would you go to a glass installer, a body shop, a 18 year old thai "massage" therapist..... I mean a generic garage???.
I can't answer your question but I do remember an old post on here of a screwed up install where the sealant was oozing at the seems. Just a warning...