2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Window sticker doesn't match actual options-legal standing?

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/15, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a lightly used 2015 mustang from a dealership 3 days ago. After paying for it and driving out, I noticed it didn't have power seats, nor did it have heated/cooled seats like I thought it did. I have a copy of the window sticker that the dealer gave me (screen shot attached -- the VIN does match my car, though I cut it off for this pic) and it does say that it comes with heated/cooled and power seats.

After doing some research online, I guess the leather Recaro seats aren't supposed to come with heated/cooled or power seats...but the window sticker has it. I feel a bit duped. I honestly don't believe the dealer meant any harm on this one when they told me over the phone that it had those options (since they were also looking at the window sticker and not at the actual car).

What should I do? Do I have any legal recourse?
Attached Thumbnails Window sticker doesn't match actual options-legal standing?-mustangsticker.jpg  
Old 9/14/15, 10:02 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
The model does come standard with the seats as described on the window sticker. But the Recaro option which does not include power or heat/cooling supersedes that. Whoever ordered the car originally wanted the comfort of the Recaros and was willing to give up convenience features that would have come with the standard interior.

I'm sure somewhere Ford has figured a way to off-set the cost of the Recaros with what is lost on the standard seats.

The last person you want to confirm the nuts and bolts minutiae with of model specific features is the dealer. Generally they're not enthusiasts and can't be expected to know every little option quirk about every single vehicle they sell.

Your concern, for lack of a better term, is frivolous.
Old 9/14/15, 10:37 AM

That's what I took from my research. My concern, however, is hardly frivolous. I thought I was getting a car with heated/cooled and power seats, but it didn't. I should have double checked before signing the paperwork, but it seems a bit shady that it would still be included in the window sticker (and online ad, which is now pulled).

The main reason I didn't catch it is because I drove several mustangs from different dealerships, checked to make sure none of them had issues, and later decided this one was the best deal. I negotiated online, paid for it, drove off, and later realized it didn't have the features I thought it did -- i.e. it was 49F this morning and I wanted to turn on the heated seats.
Old 9/14/15, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

It is commonly known that the Recaros are manual, no heat or cooling. It would be nice if they did include all of that, but they don't. Like Tom said, heated/cooled seats are standard on the Premium, but if you option up to the Recaros, you lose those options.

Succinctly put, don't try to go after the dealer or Ford for this. You will lose. Sorry buddy, but it is what it is...
Old 9/14/15, 11:42 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

It also says it comes with 18" machined aluminum wheels standard but that's not what's in the car

The options list supersedes all the standard features

Next time look closely at the actual car
Old 9/14/15, 12:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I get what you're saying, and I understand your disappointment. I'd try to look at it with glass half full... the RECARO seats are a popular option that makes your car really well equipped. Your car is really awesome. I hope its not a deal breaker and you can learn to love your car for what it is and not for what its not.

Do you live in a super cold climate and plan to daily drive it? It would stink to get reminded of it every day for 5-6 months out of the year.

I actually bought a car that I thought was all wheel drive, but turned out that it was only front wheel drive... and I live in a snowy climate where I was excited to get an AWD car... But in the end I realized it was my own fault for not doing the research... and I really like the car anyways, plus I think I got a good deal. I've already driven it through a pretty bad winter and it did just fine!

Last edited by codeman94; 9/14/15 at 12:56 PM.
Old 9/14/15, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by codeman94
Do you live in a super cold climate and plan to daily drive it? It would stink to get reminded of it every day for 5-6 months out of the year.
I do -- Wisconsin. I'll have to buy some aftermarket seat heaters because to go without heated leather seats here. Sort of sucks that they don't actually keep a simple printout up-to-date. It can't be hard since the options and VIN are all printed on the same window sticker.
Old 9/14/15, 04:54 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
I do -- Wisconsin. I'll have to buy some aftermarket seat heaters because to go without heated leather seats here. Sort of sucks that they don't actually keep a simple printout up-to-date. It can't be hard since the options and VIN are all printed on the same window sticker.
Do a little homework and determine if your Mustang is already wired for power and heat. I'll bet that it is.

Then see if someone on this forum or others would be willing to make a swap for whatever terms are mutually agreeable.

Recaros are highly prized. I wouldn't think they'd last too long if you advertised such a deal.
Old 9/14/15, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Do a little homework and determine if your Mustang is already wired for power and heat. I'll bet that it is.

Then see if someone on this forum or others would be willing to make a swap for whatever terms are mutually agreeable.

Recaros are highly prized. I wouldn't think they'd last too long if you advertised such a deal.
They are, but then his window sticker wouldn't match what the car is equipped with... :doh;
Old 9/14/15, 07:32 PM
Post *****

First of all the OP said it was lightly used

Used car

Doesn't matter what the sticker says.

It comes with what's on
Old 9/14/15, 08:01 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
First of all the OP said it was lightly used

Used car

Doesn't matter what the sticker says.

It comes with what's on
I think the OP is suggesting that the dealer misrepresented the car, so I don't think it matters if the car was used if that was indeed true.

Regardless, the argument is a bit of a stretch to say the least. This is no bait and switch situation.
Old 9/14/15, 08:36 PM
Post *****

Well I hope they didn't tell him there's a spare in the trunk
Old 9/15/15, 05:12 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Well I hope they didn't tell him there's a spare in the trunk
Old 9/15/15, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I had seat heaters added to my 2005 Mustang (before they were a factory option) and it didn't cost very much at all. (I don't remember the exact number now, but I want to say it was around $400 for the heaters and the labor).
My one piece of advice, give some careful thought so where you would like the buttons placed and then make that desire known. I did so and they said it was a good thing I did since they would have never thought to place them where I wanted them.
Old 9/16/15, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would easily rip out my premium cloth, heated seats for your Recaro's if you want to do the swap

Its a hard lesson learned. Reminds me of the saying, measure twice, cut once.
Old 9/16/15, 08:24 PM
GT Member

Here's the thing. It is so important to do your research before any purchase. I get your situation, however, it's almost shocking that dealership people, in particular, are not fully knowledgeable about the product that they are selling.
Old 9/17/15, 02:08 AM
Bullitt Member

You can view and print your cars VIN here:

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webvie....aspx?vin=your vin number
Old 9/19/15, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Do you want to trade my red leather heated and cooled seats for your recaros?

I'll gladly do it.

You have no legal grounds for anything. Once you buy it, it's yours, AS-IS, just like it says on every other piece of paper you signed.
Old 9/19/15, 11:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
That is an option but trade plus cash for the Recaros. Those are worth their weight in gold on the open market.
Old 9/19/15, 11:22 AM
Post *****

I'd sell my Shelby recaros for their weight in gold

Any takers?

Quick Reply: Window sticker doesn't match actual options-legal standing?