Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ordering TWO 2013 Mustangs. Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/12, 07:20 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh - and I should add - I'm a little depressed as the SBY boss 302 that I wanted so badly that someone else ordered and NEVER TOOK IT cuz it took so long to get to Oregon was sold last week, I don't regret my GT purchase, the car is AMAZING, my wife calls it my "girl friend", but the boss is what I really wanted....
Old 8/14/12, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xar
Oh - and I should add - I'm a little depressed as the SBY boss 302 that I wanted so badly that someone else ordered and NEVER TOOK IT cuz it took so long to get to Oregon was sold last week, I don't regret my GT purchase, the car is AMAZING, my wife calls it my "girl friend", but the boss is what I really wanted....
I hear you, but 5K is a barely acceptable mark-up for a model with a slightly massaged 5.0 liter, but $10,000 is just not acceptable. Period. It's not worth $10,000 more than a GT Track Pack. I mean if you look at other special models out there, any premium $5000 or over is saved for a supercharged version, or one with a larger motor. A $10,000 premium better be a WHOLE LOT better. The fact that they don't give rebates, they don't do X-Plan, it's NOT a Shelby. It might feel better, but the sum of the cost of the parts do not justify the price. I mean heck I'd even accept MSRP but with rebates.

I mean do you realize that not only does the Boss not qualify for the current $1500 rebate, you can't even use the $750 brochure coupon either! I just read the fine print on that. I mean that's a $2250 difference in incentives alone when compared to a GT with the same 3.73 and Torsen. I'm sorry it is not worth that much more than a Track Pack for about 0.2 seconds faster.

Last edited by SeattleStang; 8/14/12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 8/15/12, 06:36 AM
Cobra R Member

If you're going with two stangs, why does the DD have to be a brand new one? As pointed out above, with two new cars you'll be getting pummeled with 2x on depreciation. So my advice is to go with a used (does Ford do "certified" used?) 2010 GT coupe. You'll beat much of the depreciation, have all-day-long reliability, and still have some warranty left. Plus the 2010 has a great sounding stock exhaust note IMHO, better than the 5.0. Most guys I know with the 4.6 GTs get much better gas mileage than the EPA ratings on their cars- at least as good as i see on my 5.0.

As for your #1 car, I have to second those above who recommended a Boss or GT500, and either of those will totally beat a regular GT in the long run as far as collectible value down the road.

Another option: Super Snake, or at least a Shelby GT350 conversion. Take a look at shelbyamerican.com or whatever their web site is nowadays.
Old 8/15/12, 06:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
If you're going with two stangs, why does the DD have to be a brand new one? As pointed out above, with two new cars you'll be getting pummeled with 2x on depreciation. So my advice is to go with a used (does Ford do "certified" used?) 2010 GT coupe. You'll beat much of the depreciation, have all-day-long reliability, and still have some warranty left. Plus the 2010 has a great sounding stock exhaust note IMHO, better than the 5.0. Most guys I know with the 4.6 GTs get much better gas mileage than the EPA ratings on their cars- at least as good as i see on my 5.0.

As for your #1 car, I have to second those above who recommended a Boss or GT500, and either of those will totally beat a regular GT in the long run as far as collectible value down the road.

Another option: Super Snake, or at least a Shelby GT350 conversion. Take a look at shelbyamerican.com or whatever their web site is nowadays.

Not everyone buys a car to look what the resell is going to be. Some people buy a car or cars to Drive and enjoy, Life is short and enjoy the moments. I don't blame the OP one bit. Having a fun car for a DD Like the new 2013 V6 is and then having a GT for the other times (shows, seat of the pants weekends, mods) WIN WIN in my book, Plus I am sure his other half will enjoy the DD as well. I have seen quite a few Husband and Wife/ Boyfriend/Girlfriend's share the passion with more than 1 Mustang. Why does a lot of people on here think the idea is silly. I have two new vehicles and its a great feeling to know they are both covered under warranty and no issues from what a previous owner could have done.
Old 8/15/12, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT500 and a cheap car. You're about to spend 70k on 2 mustangs, why can't you spend 55k on a GT500 and 15 on another car? Or just keep 1 of whatever cars you have, sell the others (if you have others) and get the Shelby
Old 8/15/12, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Snowman

Admittedly I am biased, but I can honestly say you will not regret getting the Boss. I was in a similar situation a few weeks back. I was debating between getting a fully loaded GT or a Boss. I ended up getting a deal on the Boss for $2k plus under MSRP so I went that route.

Race Red is the fastest Boss too. Do it.
how in the flying F did you get 2k plus under msrp???
Old 8/15/12, 12:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by the_bottomless_pit
The dealership I work for sold all of our '13 Boss 302's for $1K under MSRP - even our '13 Laguna Seca! $2K off for a "regular" Boss 302 doesn't sound impossible with enough searching.
Old 8/15/12, 12:53 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brian I might have to come up to WA and say hi to the family and pickup a car from you.

maybe next year since I already ordered a new focus ST.
Old 8/15/12, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had YOUR wallet I would buy the GT500, a pre owned V6 F-150 and a mid 2000 4 honda civic LOADED as my DD...
Old 8/15/12, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

GT500 FTW
Old 8/15/12, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SeattleStang
I mean do you realize that not only does the Boss not qualify for the current $1500 rebate, you can't even use the $750 brochure coupon either! I just read the fine print on that. I mean that's a $2250 difference in incentives alone when compared to a GT with the same 3.73 and Torsen. I'm sorry it is not worth that much more than a Track Pack for about 0.2 seconds faster.
I know you have your mind made up, and I'm not trying to convince you, but I can assure you the Boss is worth more than the sum of its parts. I felt the same way you do until I owned one. Its worth the money.

Originally Posted by the_bottomless_pit
I went on cars.com and searched every dealer within 100 miles. I then called every dealer that had them listed for sticker (didn't even bother with those that were listed over). As long as it wasn't SBY I didn't care about color, but preferred RR. I told them all I was buying a car as soon as I found the best deal.
Most told me they had some level of "market adjustment" on the car (usually $2-$5k over MSRP) despite having them listed for sticker. I finally found a dealer (Five Star Ford in Plano, Texas if anyone is in the market) that had a PW Boss. The sales manager asked me what number I needed to hear to buy the car. I threw out "$2k under sticker" expecting him to counter, but he said "come get your car I'll start cleaning it. "
On the way to buy that car a dealer (Randall Noe Ford in Terrell, TX, ask for Jack) called and said they would do $1k off MSRP. I told him I was on the way to pick up one for $2k under and that they were waiving all dealer add-one (tint, doc fees, etc.) They said they would match it. So I drive about an hour and got the RR car I wanted.
Idk if it's a product of being in an area where there are a plethora of dealers with Bosses in stock or not, but I know they can be had here for under sticker. I actually feel I could have gotten a better deal and I paid $43125 with Torsen/Recaros and cover.
Old 8/15/12, 05:58 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
I'd rather have a gt500 and a beater than a gt and a v6.
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Ditto advice from me....

Get a limited edition Shelby or Boss and then get a much cheaper DD
Originally Posted by bpmurr
Get a GT500 or Boss and a beater. No need for two Mustangs.
This
Old 8/15/12, 06:26 PM

I'd go with a Gt track pack daily driver and a couple of Bosses for track day toys!
Old 8/15/12, 09:37 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012B2LS
I'd go with a Gt track pack daily driver and a couple of Bosses for track day toys!
You have THREE mustangs?

Old 8/15/12, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang
Brian I might have to come up to WA and say hi to the family and pickup a car from you.

maybe next year since I already ordered a new focus ST.
Yes, indeed! Come visit the family (and I'll help you find a cool car!).
Old 8/15/12, 11:39 PM

Well, SeattleStang has decided order a Black Mustang GT Convertible with automatic trans to replace his 05 Mustang GT. I ordered it for him this afternoon. I believe he is still going to buy the Race Red GT Coupe that he ordered elsewhere, so no Bosses or Shelbys for him. I trust he'll update us here soon.
Old 8/16/12, 12:11 AM

You are correct sir. So the primary car stays the same. The race red 6 speed track pack gt premium i mentioned earlier. But i had a slight change of heart on the loaded premium v6 convertible. Instead i bought a base base 300a 2013 gt convertible with auto and no other options. With the great trade im getting on my 05 mustang and the cheaper price now on the 2013s i could swing a v8 into the convertible. Im quite pleased. My black base gt convertible becomes my project car. Ive already talked to my friend at katzkin who will have the leather seats heated ready when my car gets here. Next is the stereo. The great thing about the gt base is that they didnt strip out anything externally really. All of the performance is there. The leds the wheels from the outside you wouldnt know its a base gt convertible. But its my mod machine. So in the final analysis i will have one no compromise red 6 speed close to track coupe with the torsen and brembos etc and i will have one black automatic convertible for relaxed cruising modding and a semi dd. But yeah come to think of it ill end up driving the convertible like i stole it too hah hey its got 5.0 too

Last edited by SeattleStang; 8/16/12 at 12:20 AM.
Old 8/16/12, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats on the purchases.
Old 8/16/12, 04:43 PM
V6 Member

wow that's 10 liters of fun! Good for you!
Old 8/24/12, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
You've given me an idea about getting convertible, automatic V6 (perhaps a gently used one) as my second car.

My 2005 Prius is getting long in the tooth, and I'm sick of being looked at like I'm some sort of weird tree hugger wherever I drive it. The V6 gets mileage in the mid-20s to lower 30s, which isn't terrible, and I love the idea of having a vert. My 2011 GT usually stays in the garage most of the winter, but I could drive the V6 in any weather and not worry about it staying perfect. Also, with an auto trans, my wife would be able to drive too (she can't drive a manual and she'd kill me if my second car was a manual).

The other thought I had for a grocery getter/commuter vehicle is a Hyundai Sonata. Those are great looking cars. Anyone have one?

Quick Reply: Ordering TWO 2013 Mustangs. Am I crazy?