2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ordering TWO 2013 Mustangs. Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/12, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering TWO 2013 Mustangs. Am I crazy?

Ok, so this is going to be my introduction post plus a pretty thorough description of what I plan to get and if I'm just a little crazy

So in the summer of 2005, I ordered my first Mustang. This was the first year of the new retro body style and the 300 HP 4.6 V8. This was like the hottest car of that year, and I got one of the first in Seattle, I ordered the GT Premium in Redfire with the concept wheels, Shaker 1000, every option including (unfortunately) Automatic. This car became the love of my life, and I learned to drive that Mustang like I stole it. I had never even owned a rear wheel drive car let alone a V8 muscle RWD car. I whipped it around corners, I gunned the V8, I basically drove it and still drive it with a passion I've never had for any other car. I am apparently someone designed for the Mustang or a similar type car and I had no idea, because I drove that thing like people drove muscle cars in 70s movies . Anyway, getting to my point, the one purchase in my life in which I had COMPLETE 100% satisfaction, and have for 7 years now. I still get a smile on my face when I drive it today.

That's my background. Now let's get to me today. I saw the 2013 Mustang and after years and years of loving my car, I finally decided it was time for a new one. I have to admit I was totally intrigued when they reintroduced the 5.0 in 2011, because hey a new motor with more HP is a great thing, but nothing motivated me to want to actually jump back into the game than this 2013. I love the LEDs, I love the new front and back, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new track package with the Brembos, Torsen, etc. I'm also a lot more advanced in my career after 7 years and can basically choose any Mustang, so I was trying to decide. The only one thing I know is I have to get a stick, and I have to learn how to drive a stick. I can't be the one anymore who owns a GT that's an automatic Now that's all well and good, I am determined and I will learn. If I set my mind to something, I will do it, that's just me.

Now I started out thinking about the Boss, then I thought about the Shelby. I am inclined to somewhat of a cheapness and practicality streak, just one of my inherent flaws. I couldn't justify the Shelby, and I decided that I couldn't live with the Boss's interior as I want all of the options I can get. Now luckily, they vastly improved the GT since I bought mine in 2005. So I figure the combination of 420 horsepower, a new stick shift, and the track pack will put someone like me in such a whole new league of Mustang, so close to the Boss, etc that I won't really need to get a Boss or Shelby yet in my life. Start with an attainable goal I say. Well it helps that I qualify for X-Plan through work so I can get the GT for easy discount, but not the Boss or the Shelby. So my option 1 was decided:

First Mustang:
1) 2013 Mustang GT Premium
2) 6 speed
3) Race Red exterior
4) Charcoal with cashmere 401 interior
5) track pack
6) comfort package
7) Shaker Pro (solely because I loved my Shaker 1000 SO MUCH)
And that's it. No other options, none that I liked. I think the tech package is drastically overpriced for a large GPS and I don't need that in a muscle car.

So what do you guys think of my primary Mustang choice so far based on my history? I have to learn to drive a stick, but I think it's as solid as a primary choice as I can make.

So now this left me with another question. I always have two cars, a fun sports car which I put very few miles on, and then a more commuter mainstream car. I've gone over this in my head about 1000 times but I think I've totally decided that I want to trade away all of my cars, and get a second Mustang as well. Now you can tell me if I'm crazy. First of all, I don't want to commute with a stick I'm just learning how to drive, and rack up miles on my 2013 GT. And the more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself that I'd somehow love a convertible, and since I already have the GT, I could get a 2013 V6 Premium Convertible Mustang Automatic. Sounds a bit crazy at first I know, but with X-Plan, both cars would would run around $65,000 total for two cars, and my trades will net me about $15K, and I have another 5K in cash, so I'm looking to finance about $45K. Now my reasonable side inside me is a little shocked by my decision. But I figure there are a ton of snobs at work who drop 50-70K every day on some Audi, etc, when I could spend this amount, justify it in in my head, and have the fastest car at work, and then a Convertible which I've always wanted but never had as a commuter. I think it's a good decision.

Second Mustang:
1) 2013 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible
2) Automatic
3) Black Exterior
4) Black Roof Color
5) Saddle Leather Interior
6) 201A (V6 Exterior Appearance Package)
7) Tape Stripe Delete (201A comes with a tape
stripe unless this option is also added removing it, want it clean and black)
- Comfort Package (So I get the heated seats on the convertible)

So I like this option a lot, a clean black Mustang convertible with an awesome Saddle Premium leather interior.

So am I crazy or is this a good path to go down?? Thanks so much!
Old 8/12/12, 08:25 PM
GT Member

This is a decision you have to make for yourself. Kudos to you that two Mustangs are in the realm of possibility for you.,

Now, since you asked... I think you should commit 100% to the manual transmission. From your self-introduction, you will find that the manual transmission is what you have been waiting for all your life.

Instead of learning to drive a manual transmission in your brand new, supremely powerful Mustang, I'd suggest you buy a learner vehicle at the same time you order your Mustang. Something used, less than 150 hp, that you can sell after you take delivery of your new Stang. You can get through the steepest part of your learning curve in the weeks between ordering & delivery.
Old 8/12/12, 08:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd rather have a gt500 and a beater than a gt and a v6.
Old 8/12/12, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Crazy? Yes. But both the 5.0 and V6 are awesome cars. The V6 with performance package is the best DD money can buy IMO.
But I don't see the GT as something that needs to be "protected" from high mileage and the MPG's aren't so bad that it is prohibitive to drive to work.
Both are great cars. Two cars means twice the depreciation though.

Since you're asking for opinions; I say buy a GT, drive it every day, love it hard, and trade it in on whatever the next special edition is (Shelby, new Boss variant, whatever). You'll be comfortable driving the stick by then. I would rather have one amazing car than two that everyone else has.

No matter what you do you'll be happy. Good luck!
Old 8/12/12, 09:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ditto advice from me....

Get a limited edition Shelby or Boss and then get a much cheaper DD
Old 8/12/12, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

While I'm inclined to say Shelby all the way do what you want to do. All the '13 models have tons to offer and like you said even the V6 is pretty sweet. Shelby is pretty tempting though!
Old 8/12/12, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Get a GT500 or Boss and a beater. No need for two Mustangs.
Old 8/12/12, 09:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
With the 65K figure you listed, here's what I'd order:

2013 Boss 302 in School Bus Yellow
  • Boss 302 Accessory Package
  • Recaro Seats and Helical Differential
$45,465 MSRP

2013 Focus SE in Race Red

• Moonroof
  • Winter Package
$21,555 MSRP

Yeah, I went over a little bit but they'll probably give you a discount.

Or...you could get a loaded Mustang GT and a sweet new Focus ST for your DD with that same amount of money.

Great problem to have man!
Old 8/12/12, 09:54 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ good idea - get a boss or a GT and a separate DD - trust me, if you get a v8 mustang you won't wanna drive the v6...
Old 8/12/12, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I didn't even think of the st. That's a great idea. Get the GT you described and a new focus st. Race red!
Old 8/12/12, 10:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
SeattleStang, I'll order both Mustangs for you for less than X-plan. I'm less than 20 miles south of Seattle, so I'm a short drive for you.
Old 8/12/12, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

You see here is where I differ from the pack. I agree with the two Mustang theory. Why should the car your in all the time (the Daily Driver) be something not enjoyable or with the features. I too always had two cars but I had one Mustang and my daily cars were a BMW Z3 and then a Audi TT Quattro both were a blast to drive and more fun to drive then my 2006 Mustang on a lot of levels, However there were a lot of features of course I loved about my Mustang I never wanted to give up. The new 2013 Mustang has all the features my 06 had and with the package I got with the 13 made it more fun then the Z3 or TT. Being I am in a Daily car most of the time I could give up both my DD and my loved 06 Mustang for the one car I could enjoy all the time. I don't know how much you deal with traffic but I love the 6 speed and never find the fact I have to shift a chore. I love shifting and always have opted more for a Manual then an auto. In fact one of the main factors that I sold my love 06 Mustang was because it was auto.
Old 8/12/12, 10:37 PM
GT Member

Sounds like he WANTS to have his 2nd car/DD/beater/whatever-you-want-2-label-it be a Mustang - so what's wrong with that? So what if it's a V6? It's a Mustang...and a vert!

For me (and many, I'm sure), having a V6 stang as the "other car" would not be a let-down.

I say - great idea. Have fun!
Old 8/12/12, 10:56 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OP--You're not crazy at all. Get both cars, as you've stated, and enjoy each for what it is. You'll enjoy each one for different reasons and purposes. Two similar but different cars.
Old 8/13/12, 12:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes. That's ridiculous.
Old 8/13/12, 12:36 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
get a new escape awd and a nice GT and own the winter and summer.
Old 8/13/12, 03:49 AM

I would say it would be cool to have both. But as a couple other guys have said I like the idea of the focus svt and the gt. Focus svt would give you decent mpg I think and then you would still have a nice gt when you wanna drive that.
Old 8/13/12, 04:37 AM
GT Member

You rock!
Old 8/13/12, 05:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Only thing I would say is don't get your daily driver in black, it will drive you nuts trying to keep it clean and scratch free...maybe get the dd in silver....
Old 8/13/12, 05:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Or...you could get a loaded Mustang GT and a sweet new Focus ST for your DD with that same amount of money.

Man, you guys are giving me ideas!!! I was thinking about getting a Focus SE as a daily driver to replace my 200k mile Civic commute car/grocery getter, but a base Focus ST is looking really appealing--32 MPG, 4 doors, and sub 6 sec 0-60. Hmm.... LOL

Quick Reply: Ordering TWO 2013 Mustangs. Am I crazy?