2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

No 5.8L boss for Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/07, 11:51 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have never heard of that either... sounds bunk to me.
Old 7/31/07, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
My point with the Vette is that both it and the Stang have, for a remarkably long 40 some years, inhabited their respective niches relatively unchanged in general parameters, i.e., form, material, function, relative performance, and relative price in the market. A glaring difference is, of course, weight.

Whereas the Vette has kept its trim high-school senior figure, the Stang has bloated with middle-aged weight. The Vette has kept at about the very low 3,000 range while maintaining roughly the same relative cost premium, percentage-wise, over the Stang.
But the Corvette has always had it's own unique chassis and engineering. The Mustang has always been based on another existing sedan chassis, first the Falcon, then the Pinto, the Fox, and now (although highly modified)DEW98.

When you have the luxury of a completely unique chassis with a fiberglass body with no compromises along with a higher price point to build to, it's no wonder the Corvette is lighter.

The Stang meanwhile has larded up from perhaps 2,800lbs to about 3,400 -- a gain of over a quarter ton dead weight. Obviously that will have a terrible effect on aggragate performance, handling, braking and efficiency. And this isn't the first time the Stang has supersized itself, recall the '71-'73 version which became the Fat Elvis, neccessitating the crash diet resulting in the carry-the-badge Mustang II. The '79 FoxStang was a trim Mustang done right -- rather contemporary for the time -- but it has been a gradual diet of Big Macs and fries ever since.
The '71-73 was just a case of "bigger is better" with really no changes to the chassis underneath, which was pretty much the same as 67-70. But the weight gains from the Fox chassis to SN95 were mostly due to adding more structure to the chassis to make it stiffer. Then with the '05 they made the chassis stiffer than the SN95, as well as being a few inches larger in all dimensions. Also note the changes is safety equipment and crash regulation over the years that had to be met.

Compared with other steel bodied, 4 seat, RWD coupes that are about the same length, width, and wheelbase as the Mustang, the current Mustang is not overly heavy. The G35 weighs about 3500 lbs; the current BMW 3 series coupes weigh about 3400lbs.

Now, with the powerful but oh-so-plump GT500, the Stang has again taken on Marlon Brando'esque mass, all while costing as much a the lean and mean base Vette, which is about as fast in a straight line and will evicerate it in all other performance measures. Sure, you can obstensibly carry two tortured souls in the back seats of the Stang, but that seems like thin justification for over 3/4s a ton of road-hugging lard.
Look at the difference between the 350Z and G35. They are basically the same chassis, but one is a 2-seater and the other a 4 seater. The 350Z is about 3300lbs while the G35 is about 3500lbs. The 350Z, while it's a two seater, doesn't have the advantage of a fiberglass body like the Corvette does.
I imagine the '09-'10 Stang will be a rehash of the current chassis, ala the '99 Stang, so there's probably little opportunity to send this draft horse to the fat farm to regain its pony proportions. But hopefully the next real full redesign will pay more attention to the weight issue and realize that sometime, more is not neccessarily better.
I would really like to see the next generation Mustang chassis get back to the original '64-'66 dimensions. That would probably help trim a hundred pounds or more weight.
Old 7/31/07, 12:49 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
and now (although highly modified)DEW98.

you should know that the d2c platform is not a highly modifed dew98.
Old 7/31/07, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Knight
you should know that the d2c platform is not a highly modifed dew98.
Didn't they start with the DEW98 and end up just using part of the floorpan stamping?
Old 8/1/07, 08:04 AM
Needs to be more Astony

I don't know all the details but basically it was cheaper for them to make an all new one the d2c then to modify the dew98.

Maybe it uses some already engineered design like the floorpan but it is a completly new platform.
Old 8/1/07, 08:54 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not even DEWlite if I remember correctly..which is what they were going to do. Take the Dew98 and make a bunch of changes to make it cheaper to build the mustang on, as dew98 was too expensive.

Probably had so little to do with the original dew98 that it was named D2C and is completely new (as stated above)
Old 8/1/07, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If I remember correctly, the shock towers and parts of the front subframe were used. Also, the idea of twin gas tanks made its way in to the design. Beyond that, I understand it to be all new.
Old 8/1/07, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

So bascially, based on DEW98 but highly modified -- so many modifications that it could be considered a new chassis.
Old 8/1/07, 09:35 AM
Needs to be more Astony

i think its more of a new chassis with some good elements from the dew98 put in it....
Old 8/2/07, 03:36 PM
Cobra Member

There have always been power to weight ratio's. It started with insurance an internal standards during the 60's and led to the birth of the gto. These standards are still in place. The other consideration is the amount of damage per hit below 10 miles an hour. The 05+ mustangs are some of the cheapest to repair in the industry. Compare that to the vette which definately is not.
Old 8/2/07, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i think its more of a new chassis with some good elements from the dew98 put in it....
That is my understanding as well. I believe Hau Thai-Tang was previously said the S197 chassis was inspired by the DEW platform.
Old 8/5/07, 12:55 PM

If I was Ford, i would wait on bigger engines, SE's until something materialized as competition on the street...

Right now, business sense says sell what you have, which is a legal monopoly right now... R&D the future to counter the ever impending chevy/dodge arrival to a now 4 year old party...

Chevy has been talking big numbers, but I havent seen anything on the dealer lots.. All hot air to rile Ford owners... Camero is still just a gleam in papa GM's eye...

Dodge, come on, that project they have could get killed tomorrow... There is no telling what the new ownership is gonna do, bet it aint to rule the modern muscle car world...

I just wanna get another Mustang (2008) before major changes... I really like what Ford has now...
Old 8/21/07, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

i would just change the whole chassis, why not just go to a lighter chassis and stick with the same engine if we dont get a bigger engine.
Old 8/21/07, 02:20 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Ford does not have a chassis it can use and it would be way to expensive to make another one after they just finished designing this one. ford likes to get the most from their money, hense the same chassis being used from 1979-2004.

So technically we should get a new one by 2030.
Old 8/21/07, 03:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Should be ever so slightly before then, but stranger things have happened.
Old 8/21/07, 03:23 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Should be ever so slightly before then, but stranger things have happened.

Yeah i was about the 2030 comment....but like you said...stranger things have happened.
Old 8/22/07, 07:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Ford does not have a chassis it can use and it would be way to expensive to make another one after they just finished designing this one. ford likes to get the most from their money, hense the same chassis being used from 1979-2004.

So technically we should get a new one by 2030.
What looks to be happening is that the current Mustang platform is going away come 2012 or so when the Global RWD platform (Huntsman from Australia) come into production...spawning a new RWD Sedan for North America and a new Mustang Platform at the same time...maybe even a On-Road RWD Uni-body Explorer replacement.

The Current S197 platform costs where expected to be paid off over 5 years after the 05 Launch with a base line of 130K units sold each year. Since Mustang Sales have been about 30-50K units a year better then that, the platform will be paid off sooner then later, which will hopefully lead to more $$ being spent on giving us more updates for the car.
Old 8/22/07, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

spawning a new RWD Sedan for North America and a new Mustang Platform at the same time
whats this about i havent seen the article do you have a link for it?
I think to save money and increase profit they should just focus on production of lighter platforms, use the profit to focus on ways to put our stangs on jenny craig cut some pounds then worry about how they are geared for MPG, while maintianing the current or better power output they have ATM.
Old 8/22/07, 10:26 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by usmcrebel
whats this about i havent seen the article do you have a link for it?
I think to save money and increase profit they should just focus on production of lighter platforms, use the profit to focus on ways to put our stangs on jenny craig cut some pounds then worry about how they are geared for MPG, while maintianing the current or better power output they have ATM.
Problem is that weight-loss and cost savings are mutually exclusive. Costs tend to rise exponentially as you reduce wieght, and unlike engines which can be shared across a broad range, there's alot in weight reduction that is platform or even vehicle-specific. So from a cost point of view, adding HP is usually more attractive than cutting wieght.

If the global RWD platform happens, as it looks to, I'd give it a 90% chance of underpinning the Mustang and Explorer. The sedan is guaranteed, of course. Mustang still has a slight chance of staying on its current platform if they can demonstrate real cost savings by doing so, but I doubt it. Explorer's been all but confirmed to be headed to a car-based platform, which makes the global RWD architecture really appealing. It would allow Explorer to keep its V8, allow Ford to meld the Territory and Explorer, and differentiate the Explorer from the exstensive FWD CUV lineup.
Old 8/22/07, 10:51 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Problem is that weight-loss and cost savings are mutually exclusive. Costs tend to rise exponentially as you reduce wieght, and unlike engines which can be shared across a broad range, there's alot in weight reduction that is platform or even vehicle-specific. So from a cost point of view, adding HP is usually more attractive than cutting wieght.

If the global RWD platform happens, as it looks to, I'd give it a 90% chance of underpinning the Mustang and Explorer. The sedan is guaranteed, of course. Mustang still has a slight chance of staying on its current platform if they can demonstrate real cost savings by doing so, but I doubt it. Explorer's been all but confirmed to be headed to a car-based platform, which makes the global RWD architecture really appealing. It would allow Explorer to keep its V8, allow Ford to meld the Territory and Explorer, and differentiate the Explorer from the exstensive FWD CUV lineup.
Well i agree with using lighter weight materials cost will rise. I think he means engineer the chassis to use less metal or a more efficent use of it to lessen weight. I seriouly think the stang should be scaled down in size by about 3-5 inches length 1-2 width. would make the car lighter without really changing anything and would save in material cost.

Quick Reply: No 5.8L boss for Mustang