2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

No 5.8L boss for Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/07 | 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

i dont know much about gearing and engines, but i just think to myself how do the japanese makers give you 200+ hp cars that give 40mpg granted only 4 cylinders, but how do american car makers double the cylinders and get less than half the mpg. i do understand weight and aero (my dad having his PhD in aerospace engineering) i understand a little about the controlled chaos that a car really is. the camaro has been set to come out a long time before ford anncouned the gt500 wasnt it? im just saying there is no doubt in my mind that ford could easily increase their mpg on any car. i dont think that it would be to hard to do that. I am not going to argue the point of y they're bringing back the maro, because your right. There is no sense improving the GT500 out of the factory, Shelby wanted it that way for some reason beyond me, He could've changed it, but he didnt. 4.6 for what 17yrs now. the 5.0 was in production a lot longer than that, and if they would stayed another 17yrs who knows what could've come of that.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070726/earns_ford.html?.v=10

i think ford could spare a little of the 750 mil in profit to help us out
Old 7/26/07 | 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

i mean if ford wasnt worried about cost of the vehicle, they would have a car like this:
titanium 5.4/5.8 block (lighter than steel and 10x's as strong.) that would easily hold 1000+.
forged internals
nice brathing heads (pref 205+)
stock headers coated
stock flowmaster 40's
kenne bell 2.8l twin screw blower
the best tremtec tranny the 6 speed one (i dont remember which one and dont want to look it up)
complete steeda suspension from the factory
fiberglass body or extremely thing sheet metal (just something to keep you from getting wet.
carbon steel chasis (shoot me i lost a spelling B b/c of that word 12yrs ago)
plastic fuel cell 17 gal.
255lph fuel pump
40# injectors

something like that, but it would cost more than a viper, and dominate every car on the road.
Old 7/26/07 | 09:56 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by usmcrebel
i dont know much about gearing and engines, but i just think to myself how do the japanese makers give you 200+ hp cars that give 40mpg granted only 4 cylinders,
Japanese cars follow the same laws of physics as the american ones.

and the performance ones get the same mileage as the american cars.

for example

evo is rated 19 city 26 hwy.

sti rated 18 city 24 hwy.
Old 7/26/07 | 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Well said Knight.

usmcrebel. First thank you for have good conversation with me about this and not turning this into a flame war.

The New LS1 was introduced 1997 and the only thing it has in common with the the old small block is the bore spacing. The LS2 is a new block casting and was introduced in 2005. So it hasn't been around as long as the 4.6.

Fords new 3.5 liter engine has the most horsepower and gets the best fuel mileage of any V6 Ford has ever made. It's a newly design engine. Plus it's designed to handle twin turbo's.

An engine doesn't have to be around for a long time to be good, they just have to apply what they have learned from the old engines to the new.

Your not comparing apples to apples when you compare these other cars to a Mustang. The Vette should be better, It costs more. The Japanese don't have any muscle cars.

During all the years when the Camaro had more HP than the Mustang I used to think Ford needs to do better. Now I see they were making profitable cars and the Camaro is history. I think the trade off was worth it.
Old 7/26/07 | 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Japanese cars follow the same laws of physics as the american ones.and the performance ones get the same mileage as the american cars. for example
evo is rated 19 city 26 hwy.
sti rated 18 city 24 hwy.
I didnt think about those 2.

NO problem, like i said i dont know much about engines or gearing, and it s a way to learn. so if ford could make 3 changes to the stang what should it be?
i think it should be 1) 6speed 2)taller stock gears 3)go to the 5.0 (im a fan of that platform).
Old 7/26/07 | 01:05 PM
Needs to be more Astony

One more thing i would like to add. Ford needs to make the mustang Weigh less.

Less weight means better handling, braking, accelerating and more fuel effiecent.
Old 7/26/07 | 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

where could you cut weight easiest?
Old 7/26/07 | 01:47 PM
Needs to be more Astony

For one make the car slightly smaller. They could take like a half inch to and inch off every dimension of the stang and lower its weight significant;y.

I honestly think the stang is getting too big.

More use of composites. aluminum, fiber glass, carbon fiber(if they can keep price down)
Old 7/26/07 | 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

so bring it back down to the SN95 size, and make it have a fiber glass body...like the vette. what about the frame they could use a composite frame like aluminum or something along those lines. a frame weighs a whole lot... or we could go back to the fox
they're light and with today's tech you could do some amazing stuff with them.
Old 7/26/07 | 03:26 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Fox would never pass modern crash testing. unfortunatly i don't think the stang will ever be as light as the foxes due to governemnt standards.

but aluminum chassis would be awesome...but it would be too expensive to mass produce.
Old 7/26/07 | 05:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Man, with today's tech we could really make a heck of a sports car out of a Model T. Ford should have just kept that idea going for 100 years and we would be in good shape!!
Old 7/26/07 | 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

how much is aluminum/ lb? why? even if the GT had the aluminum chasis i would still buy one if it cost 4k more. a 35k aluminum chassis s197 with a 4v v8 more than enough power and you saved easily 150-200lbs maybe more. the base model v6 would sell more than enough to cover the markup price.

http://www.metalprices.com/

just checked here and ALuminum is .61 more than flat roll steel, but if you charge a little more you still make the same profit and gain performance, but its one hell of an investment.
Old 7/26/07 | 06:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Boomer
I'm curious about these Boss engines to see what they weigh compared to the 5.4 4v with SuperCharger. Not only that ..but in size.
Hopefully they are packaged smaller than the 4.6 and 5.4
Circulating info seems to indicate that the 6.2L Boss will be noticeably smaller than the 5.4L Mod motor in every dimension but end to end length, the latter certainly being due to the increase in bore spacing on the new motor. In fact, if everything we've heard thus far proves true I'd be willing to bet that the 7.0L Boss V8 is a good bet to accomplish the same.
Old 7/26/07 | 11:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I havent heard any of the rumors, is there a link somewhere i could go to?
Old 7/27/07 | 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm the opposite of Knight on this one, I like the current size. Hopefully the Boss engine program will produce a light weight high horsepower engine. Something better on fuel. If they could get 500 hp out of an aluminum N/A motor, that would help the GT500 a lot.

Ford can build a complete Jag out of Aluminum, I'd like to see some of that technology filter down to the Mustang. Like maybe an aluminum roof panel.

( Hey usmcrebel, do you have any pictures of your 67 Coupe? )
Old 7/27/07 | 07:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah i do, ill upload them when i get home today, i dont have them on my work computer.

I was looking at jag motors on wikipedia, and i would take one of their upper end motors.
Old 7/27/07 | 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by usmcrebel
no the GT500 was a great idea to get the minds off the release of the new maro, thats all i think it was. what little i know of engines, i know that chevy has spent more time and money on making a better engine ie the LSx series, ford on the other had has a list as long as my driveway of engines they've used, they need to pick one and stay with it. it would take no time at all to catch up to the LSx's if they use the 5.0 style of motor, they could even have a stang easily competing with a Z06 for cheaper in a matter of years.
It all boils down to the cheif designers who are apparently dumbasses, and dont see the larger marketing value of the 5.0 platform.
Im with this guy.
the 4.0 is proven and reliable ecause it hauled all those **** explorers around forever.
i tihnk the 4.6 should stay in the line up..like a low grade V8 for the highschool or college grad ya know? like 260 hp or so
then a 5.0 with 330 hp or so
then the 5.4 with 410 hp
finally a 5.8 or 6.0 with 525 hp (upgradable)

all in the same model but when you order you say which motor you want
Old 7/27/07 | 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Originally Posted by rhumb
Yeah, yeah, I know all about the usual excuses -- stricter safety requirements, power everything, etc. -- but the Vette faces all the same challenges and yet its been able to keep slim, trim, fast, agile and efficient all while keeping about the same level of relative affordability.

It's a 2-seater...
and it's body is fiberglass and it's base price is about 20 thousand dollars more than the base price of a Mustang.
Old 7/27/07 | 09:53 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Circulating info seems to indicate that the 6.2L Boss will be noticeably smaller than the 5.4L Mod motor in every dimension but end to end length, the latter certainly being due to the increase in bore spacing on the new motor. In fact, if everything we've heard thus far proves true I'd be willing to bet that the 7.0L Boss V8 is a good bet to accomplish the same.
Yeah and even the 5.8 is the same size as the 6.2 except for the stroke isn't it? That's where they get the extra displacement.
But the block is the same, if I remember correctly.

Which is great for the 5.8, but even better for the 6.2!

The 4.6 is large, the 5.4 looks gigantic... I remember the old 5.0s looked like you could pick them up yourself...so small compared to the 4.6
Old 7/27/07 | 10:18 AM
Post *****

+1 Boomer. I parked the II and the Bullitt next to eachother the other day, popped the hoods.

Its crazy to look in there and compare the spaces between the motor and the fenders. I can look down on the 302 and see the concrete underneath the car. I can hardly see my exhaust mani's on the Bullitt

I like the long n skinny look of that new Boxx V8. Can't wait to see it in action.

Quick Reply: No 5.8L boss for Mustang