2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/11, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottward
LOL at all the doomers. A buddy of mine just went out and bought a brand new 2012 Brembo yesterday and said pfffttt at all the internet noise. People not buying the car because of a few loud crusaders are seriously missing out.

For some comic relief, check out Matero trying to get Edmunds to bring in their Mustang for a soon to blow up MT-82. Pretty funny how they keep praising the car and ignoring his idiotic rants.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest....html#comments
Is this also going with the link to youtube claiming trans is whining. It wasn't loud at all I get some of that noise after putting in MGW shifter. Almost sounds like the starter is inside the car next to you went starting the engine. Does that mean the starter is bad too we need new thread now It's safety issue LOL.

I think most would be surprised how noisy trans can be if they put in solid mounts.
Old 10/16/11, 03:12 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just get a kick out of people that hear things on a forum from someone that is venting and then want ford to get on a soap box and reply. Ford would not have time to build or ship anything.
Old 10/17/11, 01:42 AM
V6 Member

Ford damned if they do damned if they don't. But in the long run better off saying nothing not having sideline experts 2nd guess every move.
Old 10/17/11, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Ford damned if they do damned if they don't. But in the long run better off saying nothing not having sideline experts 2nd guess every move.
Ya think? The fluid change was a bit of a joke. Didnt fix anything. So the long term fix is what? Ford does not know or cares it appears. What happens when the band aid does not work?

Just for the record I drove a mt 82 and 3650 back to back and the tremec was much better. It may have been a fluke but its not one Im blowing off. Not saying the Tremec does not have issues at all. Mine is stiff when cold for sure. The Tremec had a lot of miles on it also when compared.

It may be the exception and not the rule I dont know but that is my honest opinion. Its not that I believe every thing on the internet. I can make up my own mind thank you.

I hope anybody with problems can get them sorted out.
Old 10/17/11, 11:36 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
There are more than a couple issues in this thread. This is only my opinion.

The first one is noise that has been identified with scoring on bearings. Some type of lubrication issue or bearing design. All due to engineering and design issues. This can't be repaired easily. If it was just a part in the trans, I'm sure they would have come up with a repair by now. Instead they have to engineer a completely new part that will take care of this issue and it's gonna have to be a cost effective repair. The reason that they are not replacing transmissions is because of $$$ for one thing and the fact that the new trans has the same issue due to its design. It's not gonna be an overnight fix if it is resolved at all. They were hoping that the new fluid would take care of the issue. Doesn't look like it will.

Second or maybe third issue. Grinding in and getting locked out of gears. Probably gonna be a shifter issue and maybe even a clutch issue. Without going back and reading every post, does anyone have and aftermarket shifter or bracket installed? And if so, is the grinding or locking out resolved? Blocker rings and syncros can also cause this along with shift forks.

Either way, it's a completely new designed trans from a company that I can't remember if Ford has ever used for mustang transmissions. Tremec and Borg Warner did well in the past. But I'm sure Getrag made one hell of a proposal to get the bid for this contract. I'm sure the issues have already been resolved as far as engineering corrections, but a cost effective repair might have not.
Times like this I really wish I was still wrenching. Just the kind of challenge I used to enjoy. I'm sure there are a couple of ford trans techs right now that can tell you exactly what is wrong with them. But there just might not be a way to repair them. I wouldnt blame Ford on this one guys. Getrag is at fault for most of this.
Old 10/18/11, 01:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by chevys
Ya think? The fluid change was a bit of a joke. Didnt fix anything. So the long term fix is what? Ford does not know or cares it appears. What happens when the band aid does not work?

Just for the record I drove a mt 82 and 3650 back to back and the tremec was much better. It may have been a fluke but its not one Im blowing off. Not saying the Tremec does not have issues at all. Mine is stiff when cold for sure. The Tremec had a lot of miles on it also when compared.

It may be the exception and not the rule I dont know but that is my honest opinion. Its not that I believe every thing on the internet. I can make up my own mind thank you.

I hope anybody with problems can get them sorted out.
All manual trans companys have had problems. You need to get off that Tremecs are so bulletproof you sound like certain Mr fanboy

That TBS was only for cold weather shifting but for some reason everyone started putting in everything. Its being misused as fix all when its was never intended to be
Old 10/18/11, 01:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
There are more than a couple issues in this thread. This is only my opinion.

The first one is noise that has been identified with scoring on bearings. Some type of lubrication issue or bearing design. All due to engineering and design issues. This can't be repaired easily. If it was just a part in the trans, I'm sure they would have come up with a repair by now. Instead they have to engineer a completely new part that will take care of this issue and it's gonna have to be a cost effective repair. The reason that they are not replacing transmissions is because of $$$ for one thing and the fact that the new trans has the same issue due to its design. It's not gonna be an overnight fix if it is resolved at all. They were hoping that the new fluid would take care of the issue. Doesn't look like it will.

Second or maybe third issue. Grinding in and getting locked out of gears. Probably gonna be a shifter issue and maybe even a clutch issue. Without going back and reading every post, does anyone have and aftermarket shifter or bracket installed? And if so, is the grinding or locking out resolved? Blocker rings and syncros can also cause this along with shift forks.

Either way, it's a completely new designed trans from a company that I can't remember if Ford has ever used for mustang transmissions. Tremec and Borg Warner did well in the past. But I'm sure Getrag made one hell of a proposal to get the bid for this contract. I'm sure the issues have already been resolved as far as engineering corrections, but a cost effective repair might have not.
Times like this I really wish I was still wrenching. Just the kind of challenge I used to enjoy. I'm sure there are a couple of ford trans techs right now that can tell you exactly what is wrong with them. But there just might not be a way to repair them. I wouldnt blame Ford on this one guys. Getrag is at fault for most of this.

How do you know this just more guessing thats the problem with side line experts.
Old 10/18/11, 01:41 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its better then the cry baby fords gonna get yeah stuff
Old 10/18/11, 01:56 AM

How do you know this just more guessing thats the problem with side line experts.
I used to build transmissions man. Just rebuilt my T-56 a few months back. Yep, tremec problems also. No side liner here. Just trying to shed a little light on things. Take it for what it's worth. I'm not charging for it.
Old 10/18/11, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Either way, it's a completely new designed trans from a company that I can't remember if Ford has ever used for mustang transmissions.
Al, I thought this transmission had been around a while in the Land Rover and Transit vans.

The Tremecs are far from perfect. Mine has the 1-2 clunk when cold and always has. You just have to be gentle with it till it warms up. With that said its never locked me out of a gear or whined. Im no mechanic but I wonder if a cable operated clutch is a better system than a hydraulic system. I cant help but wonder if the clutch system is giving the Getrag a bad name it doesnt deserve. A lot of questions but few answers.
Old 10/18/11, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

All manual trans companys have had problems. You need to get off that Tremecs are so bulletproof you sound like certain Mr fanboy

That TBS was only for cold weather shifting but for some reason everyone started putting in everything. Its being misused as fix all when its was never intended to be
Im not on the Tremec bandwagon at all. I know they are not perfect but in my test drive back to back the Getrag just didnt feel as good. It only had 2K miles on it. It shifted ok but was very notchy and perhaps it was not worn in. I dont know. I know the tremec shifted much better and was smoother. It could have been a fluke like I said. I know some claim the Getrag is buttery smooth.

If you have concerns or you criticize Ford at all you get lumped into the trouble maker category. Thats not fair. We all want the best Mustangs we can get. I think what everybody wants is a solution to what might be a very small percentage of problems. I want to be able to buy with confidence in the product and the warranty along with knowing the company will stand behind their product.

I dont think that is asking too much. I do a lot of research on any big purchase. Maybe Im the exception and not the rule. I laughed when GM was having issues early on with either transmission issues or half shafts breaking. (cant remember what it was) But boy they jumped all over this and had the company brass posting on internet forums. You knew they cared and were serious about delivering the best product and service they could. I was impressed. I just have not see any effort out of Ford which leads me to believe the bean counters are in control and has underestimated the Mustang community. If my assumption is correct they have no idea what it has cost them in current and future sales. Dumb move Ford.

I would venture to say that if you **** off a Mustang guy it may cost you way more than just that. I know most of us want F 150 trucks or Fiestas or Fusions or what ever but we have a lot of choices. Its hard to measure but I bet there are a lot of downline sales from Mustangers. It may not sell in big numbers itself but it means a lot to the Ford brand.

"If you screw up the Mustang somebody might come to your house. "

John Coletti

Last edited by 3Mach1; 10/18/11 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10/18/11, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I got locked out of 4th 2 times in the last 2 times I drove the car. Shifted perfectly up till now and only happened once per drive. Both times it was 3rd to 4th and at redline. I tried to slowly shift into 4th but had to go to 5th. After going to 5th I was able to go back to 4th. I tried to duplicate it but was not able to.
Old 10/18/11, 12:38 PM
V6 Member

Hmm...I disagree! When I stated more than once that I had no issues I was the one made out to be a trouble maker. Even when I poke a little fun at Matero, his minions jump to his side. I have said from the beginning that I know that folks have problems but he has turned this thing into a one man crusade. He has folks thinking that they have issues when they really don't.

Either way, I'm stall waiting on 20/20. I see very little on the transit van issues and the landrover issue. I wish he would post links to these issues.

Originally Posted by chevys

If you have concerns or you criticize Ford at all you get lumped into the trouble maker category. Thats not fair. We all want the best Mustangs we can get. I think what everybody wants is a solution to what might be a very small percentage of problems. I want to be able to buy with confidence in the product and the warranty along with knowing the company will stand behind their product.
Old 10/18/11, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by falhulk
Well, I got locked out of 4th 2 times in the last 2 times I drove the car. Shifted perfectly up till now and only happened once per drive. Both times it was 3rd to 4th and at redline. I tried to slowly shift into 4th but had to go to 5th. After going to 5th I was able to go back to 4th. I tried to duplicate it but was not able to.
I think you have a clutch issue. High rpm not fully releasing. Oem clutch may never get you there. Just my opinion. Performance clutch upgrade should do the trick. But it does suck that oem is not sufficient.
Old 10/18/11, 12:54 PM
V6 Member

Like I've said before sideline experts.... I hear the same BS on what I work on almost everyday Cummins this, Caterpiller that, Eaton this, or Peterbilt screwing us. 99.9% have no clue what they're talking about or they go off I heard this on CB radio and internet. It's to the point as daily joke.

You think MT82 bad anyone remember T5's
Old 10/18/11, 01:01 PM

Like I've said before sideline experts.... I hear the same BS on what I work on almost everyday Cummins this, Caterpiller that, Eaton this, or Peterbilt screwing us. 99.9% have no clue what they're talking about or they go off I heard this on CB radio and internet. It's to the point as daily joke.

You think MT82 bad anyone remember T5's
The T5's were great. What are you talking about? They never had issues until you missed a gear and blew up a syncro. Driver error. Many 10 sec. foxes on stock T5's. I have a lot more confidence in the 5 than the 56. You're one angry little dude that needs to buy a Honda.
Old 10/18/11, 01:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

The T5's were great. What are you talking about? They never had issues until you missed a gear and blew up a syncro. Driver error. Many 10 sec. foxes on stock T5's. I have a lot more confidence in the 5 than the 56. You're one angry little dude that needs to buy a Honda.
^^^^this,
i owned two 5.0's with T5's and pro 5.0's short throw shifters and I've never had any kind of problems with them. Yes, they were a bit notchy, but never was i locked out of gears. Had to get an aftermarket tranny mount , shifter and swap out the fluid to redline to get my MT82 to shift more precisely and be smoother.
There are definately some issues with some MT82's out there, no doubt about it.
Mine is one of them, maybe not as severe as some are experiencing, but nevertheless not what i was expecting in this 'Stang. Hopefully my pressure plate bolts will hold fine, as well as my synchros.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 10/18/11 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10/18/11, 02:07 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you have a clutch issue. High rpm not fully releasing. Oem clutch may never get you there. Just my opinion. Performance clutch upgrade should do the trick. But it does suck that oem is not sufficient.
Some of the TR-3650's reported that at high rpm shifts due to torque. The torque limiter helped on those. But their linkage was different than the Getrag.
Old 10/18/11, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
Hmm...I disagree! When I stated more than once that I had no issues I was the one made out to be a trouble maker. Even when I poke a little fun at Matero, his minions jump to his side. I have said from the beginning that I know that folks have problems but he has turned this thing into a one man crusade. He has folks thinking that they have issues when they really don't.

Either way, I'm stall waiting on 20/20. I see very little on the transit van issues and the landrover issue. I wish he would post links to these issues.

I hardly think its a one man crusade now. THe mt Getrag is probematic and its a known issue. This is a "known" problem and the 11 and 12 Mustangs are marked. Its killing the resale of them. That is just a fact.

20 20 or not the damage has been done. People who are plugged in and enthusiastes will always wonder since Ford is silent on the China made transmission/ That says it all to me. They know its half assed. IM not impressed at all with Ford of late.
Old 10/18/11, 05:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soooo, if that was a cold weather fix.... and everyone mis-used the TSB by putting in thinner fluid...what happens when the weather gets warm again?? is Ford gonna go to another weight fluid and if they do are you gonna claim that is being abused as well. Ford is playing fire-fighter right now jumping here and there trying to come up with band-aid fixes. Why?? because a real fix is not cost effective or does not exist yet.

My transmission has zero issues. My nephews 2011 5.0 with manual tranny is a piece of junk and he has done everything that Ford has told him to do. Different dealerships even with the same result. If he mis-used any TSBs...well then the Ford dealerships mis-used it as they worked on his car.

In case your gonna claim operator error, he has driven my car and drives it flawlessly.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems