Originally Posted by beerbarrel
lol...Can't help it....sorry!
Old 8/31/11, 09:54 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
looks like billet on mine
I bet that friggin' thing gets hot in the summer, and holds the heat a long time.
Old 8/31/11, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I bet that friggin' thing gets hot in the summer, and holds the heat a long time.
I was thinking that too and just get hot from the tranny heat.
Old 8/31/11, 10:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had that shifter ball on my 2010 Grabber Blue Premium and that mother gets friggin hot as hell in summer. Burnt the palm of my hand a couple times. I started carrying a cloth in the car to throw over it when the car was parked in the sun when we were out shopping or something..

It's still one good looking shift ball though!!
Old 8/31/11, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I had that shifter ball on my 2010 Grabber Blue Premium and that mother gets friggin hot as hell in summer. Burnt the palm of my hand a couple times. I started carrying a cloth in the car to throw over it when the car was parked in the sun when we were out shopping or something..

It's still one good looking shift ball though!!
It looks sooo good it leaves an impression......in your hand.
Old 8/31/11, 11:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
It looks sooo good it leaves an impression......in your hand.
tru dat!! This by far my favorite interior of any of my newer Mustangs:

Old 9/1/11, 07:08 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

yeah... wish my stripe was blue instead of skid mark white
Old 9/1/11, 08:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Us Yankees don't have to worry about hot shifters.lol,
Especially here In Buffalo
Old 9/1/11, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

update on mine, transmission is being torn down to see what could be making the noise. No word yet on progress.

Should be illegal to have a rental car without tint in arizona, haha. At least during this part of the summer. Two good things come from this: I'm not putting miles on my car, and the camry gets decent mileage.
Old 9/1/11, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
update on mine, transmission is being torn down to see what could be making the noise. No word yet on progress.

Should be illegal to have a rental car without tint in arizona, haha. At least during this part of the summer. Two good things come from this: I'm not putting miles on my car, and the camry gets decent mileage.
When they took mine apart the tech said everything inside the transmission except that one bearing looked good. Even after replacing the bearing it still whined.
Old 9/1/11, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
When they took mine apart the tech said everything inside the transmission except that one bearing looked good. Even after replacing the bearing it still whined.
i dont know a ton about transmission design but could problems in quality or design with bearings cascade to the rest of the unit causing other internal damage that would result in some of the other problems people are having besides excessive whine (lockouts, heavy grind)
Old 9/1/11, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
If it whines after reassembly rest assured I won't leave the result at that, I think you went through the same ordeal and end result was a new box?
Old 9/1/11, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Correct. I didn't even have to ask, it still whined and they ordered me one.
Old 9/2/11, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

right on, I hadn't heard anything since Wednesday so I'll call and check in with them later today (not unexpected, I knew they'd need some time with the vehicle for this kinda stuff, and I was provided a loaner so I'm good to go).
Old 9/2/11, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
right on, I hadn't heard anything since Wednesday so I'll call and check in with them later today (not unexpected, I knew they'd need some time with the vehicle for this kinda stuff, and I was provided a loaner so I'm good to go).
If you don't mind start a new thread (that doesn't have 50 pages of crap) to let everyone know when/how the whine started. What else you noticed, and a breakdown of what happend as far as getting it fixed.

Glad to see its on the way to getting fixed now and I hope its taken care of soon!
Old 9/2/11, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

whine is most definatly more Gear related than bearings, esp if your car sounds like it has a blower in it, or only in certain gears..
all the gears are contant mesh from what i saw on the break down of the mt-82 (like most trans) the forks switch the dog clusters around to engage each individual gear if the gears are not clearanced correctly they will whine.. no different that a rear end whine when its not shimmed correctly, or backlash not set properly.. Or tightly bound gears (ie blowers).

i'm hoping the investigation finds an issue with the gears "grinding/lockout/clunking/binding" to be something to do with the fork assembly's flexing (something is randomly moving too much) maybe the entire fork slider assembly...

to all the people the have no second or third at all.. (ie/. grinding) i will bet that the fork is broken preventing the engagement of the gear.. misaligned/bent/broken forks will also cause the gear to "pop out".. (Jmatero) (not calling you out but your trans has definatly a broken fork(s) esp. if you can engage other gears)

i'm not a mechanic.. but i've blown enough tansmissions in my youth to know what is what when they are grinding, clunkin, binding etc.. problem is my dealer ship doesnt listen to me.. they listen to "Ford"

ftr.. i blew a motorcycle trans and rebuilt it on my own.. all gears worked except second gear..would engage.. grind eventually go in then pop right out.. when pulled appart it was a broken fork.. there is very little difference between a motorcycle trans and a car trans they are both built roughly the same way and do the same thing..

Last edited by pony racer; 9/2/11 at 07:08 PM.
Old 9/2/11, 07:54 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The problem is this thread has blown up about what is the problem. Gear, syncro, lockout, bearing. It really doesn't matter what the problem is because maybe only one of these guys will ever go into a trans anyway. Call your dealer. Get an appointment. Duplicate it with a tech and let them handle it. Nothing more you guys can do.
What's the failed part? Doesn't really matter guys. Bring it in.
Old 9/2/11, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
whine is most definatly more Gear related than bearings, esp if your car sounds like it has a blower in it, or only in certain gears..
all the gears are contant mesh from what i saw on the break down of the mt-82 (like most trans) the forks switch the dog clusters around to engage each individual gear if the gears are not clearanced correctly they will whine.. no different that a rear end whine when its not shimmed correctly, or backlash not set properly.. Or tightly bound gears (ie blowers).

i'm hoping the investigation finds an issue with the gears "grinding/lockout/clunking/binding" to be something to do with the fork assembly's flexing (something is randomly moving too much) maybe the entire fork slider assembly...

to all the people the have no second or third at all.. (ie/. grinding) i will bet that the fork is broken preventing the engagement of the gear.. misaligned/bent/broken forks will also cause the gear to "pop out".. (Jmatero) (not calling you out but your trans has definatly a broken fork(s) esp. if you can engage other gears)

i'm not a mechanic.. but i've blown enough tansmissions in my youth to know what is what when they are grinding, clunkin, binding etc.. problem is my dealer ship doesnt listen to me.. they listen to "Ford"

ftr.. i blew a motorcycle trans and rebuilt it on my own.. all gears worked except second gear..would engage.. grind eventually go in then pop right out.. when pulled appart it was a broken fork.. there is very little difference between a motorcycle trans and a car trans they are both built roughly the same way and do the same thing..
This is an excellent post.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems