2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

New Motor Trend 3-way comparison is up...

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/10 | 02:58 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Kevindust
I agree with you there...I think C&D called the new Chally a 5/4 version of the original...if they had scaled it down instead of scaling it up, it would probably appeal to me a lot more.
That sounds about right...

Old 4/6/10 | 04:19 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Congratulations!

I realize Unions have at times gotten excessive - just like Corporation profits are now since Unions have diminished. But I bet many don't realize how many benefits ALL workers have received from the results of "collective bargaining". Such as a 40 hr work week.

Much of the financial problems with families today are because real wages haven't kept up with inflation for decades now. And that's because the pendulum was swung waaay to far in favor of the Corporations and their profits, and away from workers needing "family wage jobs".

Even the healthcare issue is because of diminished Unions. Back in the day it was common for companies to provide health & welfare benefits, and that served to keep employees long term that have skills and loyalty.

In contrast, look at today. Good luck getting healthcare much less a pension. And so we have huge turnover, no loyalty, and taxpayer funded healthcare.
Read about what Henry Ford did for his employees in 1913 without unions (doubled their wages). It was so revolutionary that their was a Congressional investigation about it all. Yes, doubled (from less than $2.50/day to a $5.00/day) wage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by PaulVincent; 4/6/10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 4/6/10 | 05:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do they run them with full tanks? If so, that's one place where the Mustang saves a few pounds in testing. I wish it had a 19 gallon tank like the others though.
Old 4/6/10 | 06:42 AM

12.7 for the GT? I remember reading 12.8 sec for the Shelby GT500. The GT is faster is the quarter mile than the Shelby? I might have to put my dream of owning a Shelby on hold.
Old 4/6/10 | 07:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would bet the drivers didn't take the GT out of 3rd/4th the whole time they had the car. They've driven an SS and the SRT8 before; nothing new to them. This new GT, I'm sure they wanted to drive the crap out of it. And I'm willing to bet the new engine just begs you to. I'm also sure the rated MPG is attainable. But when it's new, you all who have 5.0s on order know dang well you're going to be flogging them for the first few weeks!
Old 4/6/10 | 07:27 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by SCARIER
12.7 for the GT? I remember reading 12.8 sec for the Shelby GT500. The GT is faster is the quarter mile than the Shelby? I might have to put my dream of owning a Shelby on hold.
That Shelby # is BS...its faster than that.
03/04 Cobra's were running that stock, and the GT500 is faster... IF you can get traction.

That seems to be the #1 complaint, so its no wonder that people have a hard time launching those cars.
Old 4/6/10 | 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
That Shelby # is BS...its faster than that.
03/04 Cobra's were running that stock, and the GT500 is faster... IF you can get traction.

That seems to be the #1 complaint, so its no wonder that people have a hard time launching those cars.
yep with all that torque down low with the blower it is instant tire smoke in 1 and 2nd gear. My 03 cobra was the same way with pulley etc. If you can drive it it will run amazing times, however if you cannot you run 13 sec times
Old 4/6/10 | 08:05 AM
GT Member

I'm over this. Should they be even comparing the Mustang to these barges? Where's the M3?
Old 4/6/10 | 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Falc'man
I'm over this. Should they be even comparing the Mustang to these barges? Where's the M3?
This.
Old 4/6/10 | 09:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PaulVincent
Read about what Henry Ford did for his employees in 1913 without unions (doubled their wages). It was so revolutionary that their was a Congressional investigation about it all. Yes, doubled (from less than $2.50/day to a $5.00/day wage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ford believed his workers should be able to buy his cars. He also used a race to the top mentality to attract and retain the best employees. Pay better than everyone else and provide them with non-monetary compensation like health care and pensions. Some companies still subscribe to this. See Google or SAS. Most I don't think do so anymore.

I grew up on Long Island which was home to Grumman and had an uncle who worked there. Grumman was the only defense aerospace contractor which didn't unionize and according to what I was watching it was because of the compensation the company provided to its employees. I asked my uncle about this and he said it was great there. He said he never bought a power tool when he worked at Grumman. When he needed something he signed it out from the company and brought it back when he was done.

tom
Old 4/6/10 | 09:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
It isn't 1910 anymore. What once saved it is now destroying it. My problem isn't with the workers so much as it is the gangster thugs who run the Unions. The workers are innocent bystanders for the most part. Why anyone would want to work somewhere where you are rewarded for seniority and not performance is beyond me. Lookup what the California Teachers Union has done to CA sometime. As for higher standard of living, ever been to Detroit? LOL! Keep supporting the UAW while they bankrupt the Big 3 into oblivion.
Old 4/6/10 | 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SCARIER
MM&FF with Evan Smith ran a 11.95 @120mph with Crapyears on the car. More important than ET in this equation is mph. The Shelby runs almost 10mph faster through the 1320 than the 2011 GT.

Dave
Old 4/6/10 | 09:57 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

Old 4/6/10 | 12:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tmclaugh
Ford believed his workers should be able to buy his cars. He also used a race to the top mentality to attract and retain the best employees. Pay better than everyone else and provide them with non-monetary compensation like health care and pensions. Some companies still subscribe to this. See Google or SAS. Most I don't think do so anymore.

I grew up on Long Island which was home to Grumman and had an uncle who worked there. Grumman was the only defense aerospace contractor which didn't unionize and according to what I was watching it was because of the compensation the company provided to its employees. I asked my uncle about this and he said it was great there. He said he never bought a power tool when he worked at Grumman. When he needed something he signed it out from the company and brought it back when he was done.

tom
Interesting. I knew of Grumman, but I didn't know the info that you provided. Thanks.
Old 4/6/10 | 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

im union and we do more than conservative media says for teh american worker. you corporate america has shipped jobs overseas and look where we are. blame the american worker for wanting a good wage and a better life.

chang in china appreciates all of your jobs. i have mine because of union brothers keep the monopolies from .50 cents an hour.
Old 4/6/10 | 01:17 PM
I Have No Life

So back to the topic at hand.... ehem...
Old 4/6/10 | 01:30 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

challenger is nice. if you are looking for a big car with a smoothe drive, then its a good choice. the only problem is that they need to put the 6.1 in the RT.
Old 4/6/10 | 01:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think the Challenger is more of a Grand Touring car and maybe should not even be compared with the GT and SS. I guess if you really take the Challenger for what it is it fits the mold great.
Old 4/6/10 | 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
I think the Challenger is more of a Grand Touring car and maybe should not even be compared with the GT and SS. I guess if you really take the Challenger for what it is it fits the mold great.
+1! it is a fantastic car, I would love to drive accross the country in this thing much more than I would want to in a GT or SS. But if you are going to offer a car with a performance package that costs so much, it had better perform. Last time I checked the consumer does not like to pay more for less : /

It's clear the challenger is more car than the other two, it's just a different kind.
Old 4/6/10 | 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the Challenger and based on looks alone my favorite. Its just so big/heavy. The size does equal comfort on the highway. It also has a big trunk and back seat. I like the Mustang more as a total package.

Quick Reply: New Motor Trend 3-way comparison is up...