2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

New Motor Trend 3-way comparison is up...

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/10 | 07:16 PM
GTR Member

The current V6 in the challenger is going away.

Supposed to be working on a new direct injection one.

All of which really won't matter as far as keeping up with the Mustang or Camaro because the weight penalty is still there.

It's really too bad, best looking car on the street right now, if it wasn't so **** heavy it would be a killer.
Old 4/5/10 | 07:19 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The current V6 in the challenger is going away.

Supposed to be working on a new direct injection one.

All of which really won't matter as far as keeping up with the Mustang or Camaro because the weight penalty is still there.

It's really too bad, best looking car on the street right now, if it wasn't so **** heavy it would be a killer.
I bet it'll be their 3.6L Pentastar (aka "Phoenix"). This engine isn't DI, though.
Old 4/5/10 | 08:54 PM
GT Member

With regards to styling, it's funny to me that many here refer to the Camaro as the "toy" car but the concensus seems to be that the Challenger is the best looking. I see the Chally as the old man's car in the group, so faithful a re-creation of the original that appeals to the over the hill post mid-life crisis...

To my eyes, the Chally is a giant bland boat. At least the Camaro has an aggresive, sporty look...even if it is cartooninsh and aging quickly.
Old 4/5/10 | 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Right. Good analogy.

Regardless of the new 'global economy', anyone with a brain understands that the Big Three is a foundation of Americana. And there will always be that same Big Three in automotive history - regardless of current or future outsourcing, changes in controlling interests, etc. Parsing shareholder percentages or where parts are manufactured won't change the fact that all gearheads understand that Ford, GM, and Chrylser are American founded companies.

(Me thinks someone has a large chip on their shoulder about something.)
This is correct, and the Ford Mustang is about as American as you can get. It's no world car. Is there a Mustang assembly plant in some other country that I don't know about? Is the profit leaving America, like it does for Japanese and German cars assembled in the USA?

Everyone knows the Europeans and Japanese can make great cars, but only the Big Three have really understood the V-8 muscle car segment.

The world car thing is getting off topic though. The Motor Trend 3-way comparison is the just the beginning of these inevitable comparisons, and no doubt, we're going to see Car & Driver, Road & Track, Edmunds, and others all coming to the same conclusion!
Old 4/5/10 | 08:58 PM
eci
Banned

The thing I hate about "buying American" is it pays UAW wages.
Old 4/5/10 | 09:01 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Kevindust
With regards to styling, it's funny to me that many here refer to the Camaro as the "toy" car but the concensus seems to be that the Challenger is the best looking. I see the Chally as the old man's car in the group, so faithful a re-creation of the original that appeals to the over the hill post mid-life crisis...

To my eyes, the Chally is a giant bland boat. At least the Camaro has an aggresive, sporty look...even if it is cartooninsh and aging quickly.
The Chally is definitely a tub. But its more consistent with the original - so 40 years later its still sticking with its theme and has a lot of fans. If it was a bit scaled down to the original I think they would have gained even more fans.

Whereas the Camaro's looks are fad-ish like you say.

Mustang #1, Challenger #2, Camaro...? IMO
Old 4/5/10 | 09:26 PM
GT Member

[QUOTE=cdynaco;5841557]The Chally is definitely a tub. But its more consistent with the original - so 40 years later its still sticking with its theme and has a lot of fans. If it was a bit scaled down to the original I think they would have gained even more fans.

I agree with you there...I think C&D called the new Chally a 5/4 version of the original...if they had scaled it down instead of scaling it up, it would probably appeal to me a lot more.

I think (hope) the Mustang has achieved an iconic styling status like the 911, where future revisions need only to constantly evolve and develop.
Old 4/5/10 | 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
The thing I hate about "buying American" is it pays UAW wages.
Just bought mine today. Proud to have my car be built by union workers.

Unions saved this country and have provided for a higher standard of living for us all.
Old 4/5/10 | 09:48 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by dragstart

Unions saved this country and have provided for a higher standard of living for us all.
It isn't 1910 anymore. What once saved it is now destroying it. My problem isn't with the workers so much as it is the gangster thugs who run the Unions. The workers are innocent bystanders for the most part. Why anyone would want to work somewhere where you are rewarded for seniority and not performance is beyond me. Lookup what the California Teachers Union has done to CA sometime. As for higher standard of living, ever been to Detroit? LOL! Keep supporting the UAW while they bankrupt the Big 3 into oblivion.

Last edited by eci; 4/5/10 at 09:54 PM.
Old 4/5/10 | 09:58 PM
GT Member

Anyway, back on topic, I was watching the boobtube tonight and one of those "compare us to anyone and may the best car win" GM ads ran. It made me giggle a little.
Old 4/5/10 | 09:59 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by tbi0904
Anyway, back on topic, I was watching the boobtube tonight and one of those "compare us to anyone and may the best car win" GM ads ran. It made me giggle a little.
I think GM is doomed. Consumer confidence in them is LOW.
Old 4/5/10 | 10:03 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by dragstart

Congratulations!

I realize Unions have at times gotten excessive - just like Corporation profits are now since Unions have diminished. But I bet many don't realize how many benefits ALL workers have received from the results of "collective bargaining". Such as a 40 hr work week.

Much of the financial problems with families today are because real wages haven't kept up with inflation for decades now. And that's because the pendulum was swung waaay to far in favor of the Corporations and their profits, and away from workers needing "family wage jobs".

Even the healthcare issue is because of diminished Unions. Back in the day it was common for companies to provide health & welfare benefits, and that served to keep employees long term that have skills and loyalty.

In contrast, look at today. Good luck getting healthcare much less a pension. And so we have huge turnover, no loyalty, and taxpayer funded healthcare.
Old 4/5/10 | 10:07 PM
eci
Banned

Even with wages where they are we can't compete with other countries, it's impossible.

I personally think pensions are BS. Another HUGE drain. San Diego is bankrupt because of government pensions. How about no SS tax and let us invest in our own retirement. No more of this cradle to grave crap.

As for private corporation pensions like Ford etc, give me a break. Someone works the line for 30 years and you have to pay them for 60 years? All while companies like Toyota don't do this? Yeah, real competitive Ford can be!

While the 40 hour week is great when you think selfishly, it has also turned American workers LAZY and allowed other countries to provide a more competitive atmosphere. The Union mantra is "more for less". A worker only thinks of ME ME ME and never the Company. As someone who makes a payroll, I know the other side. Why would I buy something American made at 5x the price? Pride? Yeah, that will keep me in business.

Unions today are about political power and MONEY, moreso than the "evil corporations". In CA school districts, a school couldn't even fire a teacher for STEALING because of Union protections. LOL!

Last edited by eci; 4/5/10 at 10:17 PM.
Old 4/5/10 | 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
Even with wages where they are we can't compete with other countries, it's impossible.

I personally think pensions are BS. Another HUGE drain. San Diego is bankrupt because of government pensions. How about no SS tax and let us invest in our own retirement. No more of this cradle to grave crap.

As for private corporation pensions like Ford etc, give me a break. Someone works the line for 30 years and you have to pay them for 60 years? All while companies like Toyota don't do this? Yeah, real competitive Ford can be!

While the 40 hour week is great when you think selfishly, it has also turned American workers LAZY and allowed other countries to provide a more competitive atmosphere. The Union mantra is "more for less". A worker only thinks of ME ME ME and never the Company. As someone who makes a payroll, I know the other side. Why would I buy something American made at 5x the price? Pride? Yeah, that will keep me in business.

Unions today are about political power and MONEY, moreso than the "evil corporations". In CA school districts, a school couldn't even fire a teacher for STEALING because of Union protections. LOL!
For a lazy American, you would think I would be able to take a vacation every once and awhile.
Old 4/5/10 | 10:33 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Skotty
For a lazy American, you would think I would be able to take a vacation every once and awhile.
Plenty of careers out there with vacations, sky is the limit! Life liberty, and the pursuit of happiness!
Old 4/5/10 | 10:37 PM
V6 Member

I will not lie, I did not see the topic going in this direction.
Old 4/5/10 | 10:56 PM
I Have No Life

Since when did motor trend comparing 3 vehicles become Union Smacktalk....

Get it back on track.
Old 4/5/10 | 11:06 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by eci

I agree with many of your points. But US workers are much more productive than most Countries - especially Europe. US productivity rates are excellent.

And you must keep in mind that Pensions and healthcare are paid for by the employees. They have less take home pay because part of the "total compensation" is set aside to pay for those current and future benefits. Also, most Pensions were Profit Sharing Plans. That was an incentive for employees to be a partner and help the company succeed. With the huge constant turnover today, do employees give a **** if the company is in business in 20 years? Do they care if they're wasteful? Nope. The incentive has become get all you can now and who cares about the future of the company. And that constant hiring and training is a drain on profitability. Plus most Plans I've reviewed (and I've seen hundreds during my years self employed as a Consultant) had a sliding vesting schedule where you weren't vested until the 4th yr where you were 40% vested, 5 yr - 50%, and finally at 10 yrs you were 100% vested. That rewarded loyalty (which saved the company $$ from constant hiring and retraining "greenies"). And I'd rather have my Mustang built by a team of experienced journeyman vs a constant stream of rookies.

You're right, we can't compete with third world toilets. Nor should we. I mean I'm not taking the toilet, electricity, and running water out of my house - are you? But thanx to so-called "trade agreements" by the One Worlders (that benefits Corporations - not workers), our standard of living continues to slide to match under-developed nations. Boo hiss!

My career was in sales and I never did as well on straight commission as I did on salary plus. I excelled for the company and myself when I wasn't under this pressure 24/7 daylight to dark. That's how I look at a Pension - it provides a base for when I'm old and beyond my earning years - and again, I paid for that with less take home pay. And the Profit Sharing compelled me to watch wasteful expenses and work harder so the company profits grew.

For a time one company I worked for was union and then we voted it out. But the company continued to pay well and provide benefits because... they had to compete with the offers from union shops.

Collective bargaining has risen the tide that has raised all boats... until the pendulum has swung too far in favor of corporate greed. So my point is "balance in all things". No Union thugs striking for every last dime to milk the company dry. No excessive greedy corporations where CEO's make tens of millions each year - while they let their employees squeak by.

Sorry for being off topic...
Old 4/5/10 | 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gotta love the new 5.0. Wonder how this thing will sound with some aftermarket exhaust and how much more power can be unlocked from it.
Old 4/6/10 | 12:04 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by luv4stang
I wonder if the smaller gas tank (16 gal., and shorter gearing) compared to the 19 gallon ones of the other two have anything to do with it.
If anything, the larger fuel tank would mean more weight to carry around (fuel). The 16 gal. capacity would give the Mustang a shorter cruise range. Most likely the combination of gearing and, as someone pointed out earlier, the smallest displacement engine does have to work harder to get the power out of it. Perhaps the testers were also revving the motor often just to hear it because it sounds so good.

Quick Reply: New Motor Trend 3-way comparison is up...