2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

I was refused an oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/12, 06:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Those other two automakers went out of business because of the labor unions choking them to death. Ford has had its share of down years as well, as have every auto maker. Some of them have survived despite that.

I said what I did because the post I responded to is, according to the people at ford, passing misinformation as fact or as the right way to do things. Ther is no more authoritative source for information about something than the author/designer of that something. The designers have said that doing as the poster I responded to suggests is nonsense.

Yes, I am an engineer, and it's precisely why I stated what I did: i know, despite my ability to understand the design of the engine, I'm not qualified to make comments or suggestions that run counter to those suggestions given by the designers. I don't know enough to suggest they are wrong without sufficient evidence to support my claims. Mustangs have had no issues because of poorly timed oil changes; therefore, claiming that doing things your way is better, is baseless and not provable.

My perspective is just fine. They're not anymore perfect than you or I. But they do have more knowledge, experience, expertise and time spent on designing, creating, testing and building the equipment. That is undeniable. It's not a matter of having faith in the engineers: it's a matter of there not being a source of information that is more thorough, exhaustive and comprehensive than the people who built the cars. I will choose the more educated opinion over the opinion of anyone else. To do otherwise is absurd.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 8/10/12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 8/10/12, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People are way overthinking an oil

change. Probably losing sleep over it also.

Last edited by yugoboss; 8/10/12 at 10:29 PM.
Old 8/10/12, 06:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
WTF!!!! Where did you come up with that?

The Internet. If you read it on the Internet it has to be true....
Old 8/10/12, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost.223

The Internet. If you read it on the Internet it has to be true....
Lol okay acceptable
Old 8/10/12, 07:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by ATTFighter
So, my 2013 mustang gt has 1,300 miles on it. I went to the dealership for my "first free" oil change that ford gives you. I drop off the car in the quick lane.

My service guy comes out and says how many miles? I said 1,300. He said that's too soon and I said I bought this car and I like to do it at 1,000 miles. He said ok than. The mechanic drives the car in and than comes into the quick lane station and tells the guy at the desk this car is not ready for an oil change. He gets back in my car and brings my car back to the front. The guy at the desk and the service manager tell me we won't do it, its not ready yet ford recommends you follow the intervals they tell you, and they tell me all this stuff about how they do a special coating and its not like the old days.

I understand its not like the old days and metal shavings don't really fall into the oil, however, I just like to do it at 1,000 miles. Well they refused me and i drove home. Not very happy with the service. Anyone else run into this problem?
you deserve to have this problem ")
Old 8/12/12, 06:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I change the oil on my car at least once a day, sometimes twice. Can never be too careful when it comes to maintenance.
Twice a day is enough if you don't give a crap about your engine. I replaced my oil filter with a hose to a waste oil tank in the trunk. A separate tank of new oil pumps an equal amount into the dipstick tube. The only downside (other than cost of oil) is having to find different stations to refill the oil tank because it takes some a few days to restock after I clean them out and I have to refill several times a day.

Oh, don't even think about skipping the waste oil tank. Learned that the hard way. Kept getting rear ended at every red light or stop sign when I just let the used oil fall on the ground.
Old 8/12/12, 08:09 AM

Sounds ridiculous right?

So does 'the best thing for your engine is running oil that is too thin, and waiting until 7500 miles for the first change. '

And thinking because it says that in the manual, that is what the engineers are doing... You really believe the engineers are leaving that in the engine for that long? Think about that. Maybe on a lease

The most confusing aspect of this debate is how owners following the recommended procedure feel compelled to defend that procedure so vigorously. Like their car care ego is at stake or something. Weird.
Old 8/12/12, 08:16 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by u00mem9
Sounds ridiculous right?

So does 'the best thing for your engine is running oil that is too thin, and waiting until 7500 miles for the first change. '

And thinking because it says that in the manual, that is what the engineers are doing... You really believe the engineers are leaving that in the engine for that long? Think about that. Maybe on a lease

The most confusing aspect of this debate is how owners following the recommended procedure feel compelled to defend that procedure so vigorously. Like their car care ego is at stake or something. Weird.
Do you know what vvt is? Know how to take it apart?

Run 80w-90. Its thick with plenty of protection
Old 8/12/12, 08:28 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Holy moly....where did this thread go? I read two pages of thirteen, and just skipped to the end. Yet another when to change oil thread? Sigh......
Old 8/12/12, 08:31 AM

I've also heard that Internet logic before.
Compare the viscosity of the recommended oil across the temperature spectrum that it would see... Say, 0-210 degree F. Now do the same for 10w-40 or 5w-50 (which is a very miss leading name, as you will learn if you do this)

What you will find is that the overlap is so great that thinking thicker oil is going to somehow damage the timing system does
Old 8/12/12, 08:33 AM

Not make any sense.

And obviously the 5w-50 is actually used by ford in the boss and track models with identical timing hardware.
Old 8/12/12, 08:46 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by u00mem9
Not make any sense.

And obviously the 5w-50 is actually used by ford in the boss and track models with identical timing hardware.
Um... not identicle. As far as I know the tensioners on the boss are a different part number
Old 8/12/12, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Think I will just not change it until this internet debate solves the question....after all....these are the experts....the engine/world will stop if I pick the wrong interval or oil type. Why not just let it go......
Old 8/12/12, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Quite honestly, I rely on my IOLM and change when it hits 30%. Believe it or not these sensors really work. Last winter I had less then 3000 miles on the oil change when it said 24%. Why? Extreme cold weather starts. I mean 10 - 15 below zero outside and around +40 in my garage.

My last oil change was in April, and the IOLM is just hitting 35%, with lots of high speed driving. I will have it changed next month, in preparation for winter. I check the oil after every fill up, the next morning, and this car, in 24000 miles, has never burned a drop of oil.

I did my first change to Mobil 1, at 3300 miles, but that was also six months of highway driving in varied weather conditions, at the time.

Like many of you, I was into the 1000 mile initial change and then every 3000 miles, since that was the norm back in the day. But with the advances in oil and filters as well as engine manufacture, I am going to trust the IOLM, until something proves me wrong. If it is good enough for the jets we fly in, then why not our cars?
Old 8/12/12, 09:27 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I run 15w 40
Old 8/12/12, 03:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Quite honestly, I rely on my IOLM and change when it hits 30%. Believe it or not these sensors really work. Last winter I had less then 3000 miles on the oil change when it said 24%. Why? Extreme cold weather starts. I mean 10 - 15 below zero outside and around +40 in my garage.

My last oil change was in April, and the IOLM is just hitting 35%, with lots of high speed driving. I will have it changed next month, in preparation for winter. I check the oil after every fill up, the next morning, and this car, in 24000 miles, has never burned a drop of oil.

I did my first change to Mobil 1, at 3300 miles, but that was also six months of highway driving in varied weather conditions, at the time.

Like many of you, I was into the 1000 mile initial change and then every 3000 miles, since that was the norm back in the day. But with the advances in oil and filters as well as engine manufacture, I am going to trust the IOLM, until something proves me wrong. If it is good enough for the jets we fly in, then why not our cars?
All makes sense, but if you trust it so much, why do you change it when it says 1/3 of the life remains?
Old 8/12/12, 05:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
All makes sense, but if you trust it so much, why do you change it when it says 1/3 of the life remains?
touche.
Old 8/12/12, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
I'd be leary of buying a BMW after 4 years of it being on their free maintenance....BMW is so confident now of their engines, they don't equip them anymore with a dipstick. Instead, they have an onscreen picture you pull up to indicate the oil level.
Then again, Ford doesn't include one on their automatic transmissions. Maybe there is something to all this new engineering....
it does seem awful (since most car owners are educated to bring their car in at an specific interval) to reasonably believe that a manufacturer would really care about the customer after a certain period of time.

One thing is foremost -- reselling the car with added value. winding up with a broken, sludged up engine is not practical for them and will not qualify for the certified preowned program. its what they consider as "protecting the legacy".
Old 8/12/12, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sscobra
Same as with the old chevy 305/350 as opposed to the original Ford 302. There is a reason the saying exist, "my chevy is cheaper to build than your Ford". Response, "true but you'll rebuild your chevy twice before I rebuild my Ford once". Reason being is the design angles of the lifters in relation to the camshaft on the 305/350. That alone will "wear" out faster than the Ford 302, just because an "engineer" designed it that way.
Ouch
true dat!
Old 8/13/12, 06:41 AM

I would have been better off if the dealer would have refused me at 1000 miles.
Idiotic dealer put in the wrong oil --> 5w50 full synthetic rather than 5W20.
Base GT model - automatic - no track pack
But I'm the bigger idiot for not realizing it at the time.

Quick Reply: I was refused an oil change!