2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

I was refused an oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/12, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I never knew being able to read an oil cap means you know more about these engines or cars than me. But I'm sure you work on them all day too....
Old 8/5/12, 04:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LostGeographer
These techs know nothing about the engines or the cars they service, they simply follow a checklist they think they have memorized. Got my oil changed at 2500 miles. When I took it in and handed it off to the service attendant I told him it was a 13 with track pack and needed 5w-50 he said ok. Well sure as ****, on my receipt it says 5w-20. Made the guy who changed the oil come out, he started arguing with me that it took 5w-20. I showed him the cap he ignored and asked me where I got the wrong cap... told him to learn his cars and to put my 5w-50 in before I called fomoco on the spot. Do what you want, if there are no additives anyways then an early oil change will change nothing.
Old 8/5/12, 06:49 AM

I don't think Ford or the dealers know when to change the oil. On my new 2012 V6, I got a dealer sticker for first change reading within 3000 miles or 3 months. Page 323 of owners guide say's AS indicated by message center: do not exceed one year or 10,000 miles. Page 326 say's 7500-10000 miles. I only have 800 miles on the car but going by the build date of the car one year is next month.
Old 8/5/12, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
I never said they didn't know anything. Presume too much my friend. Many on here cradle the ***** of engineers acting like they never screw anything up or have design flaws. If that were the case there would be no reason for recalls or lawsuits due to design flaws(as I previously stated). I felt the need to repeat myself since you misread or misunderstood.

Do you know what oil is used at factory fill? It may surprise u that there are zero break in additives.

Changing your oil at 1k miles (like I do) is not going to hurt anything. I've been a engine mechanic in the military for ten years now,...when we replace engines we swap the oil after 500 miles. These trucks are diesel and gas. Ford f150s to 350 bobtails.

I prefer clean amsoil in my roushcharged 5.0. I also use 30 weight oil for everyday driviing and by everyday driving I mean once a week and then switch to 10w50 when I go to the track. Manual doesn't call for this oil viscosity but in high temps/track use this is the weight you should be using. I believe roush uses 10w50 when they track,... Could be wrong though. My point is you don't always have to do what an engineer or some genius recommends.
Brother, no doubt or disagreement in your profession.

In all due respect, I personally think its just better to follow the book on your new car....as when, or if, god forbid, something goes wrong....I can point to the printed book they printed, as opposed to saying Thamanc15 said so

Somehow I think the printed book they give us holds a little more weight in case you need a warrenty claim ....like the car burning oil
Old 8/5/12, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ haha
Old 8/5/12, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Thamac15

Changing your oil at 1k miles (like I do) is not going to hurt anything. I've been a engine mechanic in the military for ten years now,...when we replace engines we swap the oil after 500 miles. These trucks are diesel and gas. Ford f150s to 350 bobtails.
And out of curiosity, how many hundreds of thousands of miles do you put on these trucks before you have to replace the engines? Over 250,000 I hope, otherwise it sounds like you're wearing the engines out early, probably due to improper lubrication.

FYI, my father in law has been a factory Ford mechanic since 1975. You'll excuse me if I follow his advice rather than yours.
Old 8/5/12, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford recommends 6 months or 8000 km whichever comes first

Plus u got 5yr/100,000 km power train warranty if anything goes wrong
Old 8/5/12, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm willing to bet that if you take all engine engineers from each manufacturer and put them all in the same room to discuss this same subject, you would hear the same arguments and disagreements as in this thread. Bottom line is I don't think changing the oil early have any benefits nor does it harm the engine. If there were any proof that changing the oil early is beneficial, ALL - yes ALL - manufacturers will put that on the owners manual. The same the other way around.
Old 8/5/12, 09:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by newpony
If there were any proof that changing the oil early is beneficial, ALL - yes ALL - manufacturers will put that on the owners manual.
Benefit of changing oil early: removing residues of assembly lubes, initial wear in and grime or flashings/burrs that may have come loose and were left from machining and assembly.

The manufacturers don't want your car to last too long otherwise they can't keep selling you another. There is designed in durability and it ain't much past 100K.
Old 8/5/12, 10:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stevegt2012

Benefit of changing oil early: removing residues of assembly lubes, initial wear in and grime or flashings/burrs that may have come loose and were left from machining and assembly.

The manufacturers don't want your car to last too long otherwise they can't keep selling you another. There is designed in durability and it ain't much past 100K.
10-15 years ago I may have agree with you. The big three were big on quality back then thus the reason it got them into trouble. But not now. Manufactures do care about what happens after 100k miles because now days reputation is everything. Why do you think Honda/Toyota are so successful in the big three home turf? Because of their reputation of their reliability and durability, car lasting past 200k/300k miles.

As for those particle you mention. Isn't the function of the oil filter to catch these things?
Old 8/5/12, 11:39 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the first oil change done at 2K miles on my '11 5.0L. The dealership I work for schedules a free oil & filter change for every new vehicle sold and we schedule it for 2 months after delivery, so most cars have about 1K - 3K miles on them by then. Many customers want that early oil change and we gladly do them. Our service department happily does them and there are no warranty implications for doing an early (albeit extra) oil change. Is such an early oil change necessary? No, but it doesn't hurt anything and it should be up to the customer.
Old 8/6/12, 05:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ATTFighter
Well, I know and have heard of plenty of people who do the oil change at 1,000 miles on these cars. Many of us like to do it at 1,000 miles. And its my car I bought it if I want to do it at 1,000 miles they should do it. I have a free first oil change from ford and if I wanna do it at 1,000 or 50,000 miles it should be my prerogative and they should grant that request.
Easy solution here; those who wish to change their own oil at 1000K, do it themselves (change their own oil). No one is stopping you from doing it yourself. Save the free oil change for when Ford says it's time. Everyone wins.

Last edited by Bucko; 8/6/12 at 05:36 AM.
Old 8/6/12, 05:38 AM
Cobra Member

10-15 years ago I may have agree with you. The big three were big on quality back then thus the reason it got them into trouble. But not now. Manufactures do care about what happens after 100k miles because now days reputation is everything. Why do you think Honda/Toyota are so successful in the big three home turf? Because of their reputation of their reliability and durability, car lasting past 200k/300k miles.

As for those particle you mention. Isn't the function of the oil filter to catch these things?
Toyota? Reputable? Seems their quality ratings with all the recalls of late have made them fall from grace.
Old 8/6/12, 05:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stevegt2012

My last 7 Fords have all gone over the 200K mark prior to being sold or traded in. The days of 100k vehicles is long gone. Don't know what your buying, but stay with your current Ford. Follow the recommended maintenance, and there's no reason why you won't see the odometer hit 200K and more.
Old 8/6/12, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Toyota? Reputable? Seems their quality ratings with all the recalls of late have made them fall from grace.
Hasn't stop people from buying them. Besides Ford has it shares history of recalls to.
Old 8/6/12, 11:54 AM
Cobra Member

Hasn't stop people from buying them. Besides Ford has it shares history of recalls to.
As PT Barnum always said: there's a sucker born every minute!
Old 8/6/12, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
As PT Barnum always said: there's a sucker born every minute!
Agree especially all those people that bought all those Ford Scapes SUV and Freestar minivans.
Old 8/6/12, 12:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony

I remember this but I can't find the thread. A few people did early oil changes and got a ticking after the oil change, ford rep came to dealer and added some sort of graphite additive back to the oil so the parts could seat properly? Does anyone else remember the thread?
Yes! That was it.
Old 8/6/12, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

TexasBoneKing, where are you??? Post #55 suggests using a higher viscocity than 5w-20 for warmer climates. I'm all healed up and doing much better, and sticking with the 5w-20!
Old 8/6/12, 10:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Did my first on my 2012 GT at 500, and just did my second at 5500. And the book says recommended intervals. If you go way past the intervals (my manual says every 10,000) then yes they will deny the warranty. But there is nothing that says you can't get it changed early. If you want to pay the cost to change your oil every 1000 miles. That isnt going to void your warranty. Now if you are at 20,000 miles and havent changed your oil, and you have a problem. Then your warranty is going to be an issue

Quick Reply: I was refused an oil change!