2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

I was refused an oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/12, 04:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
You are absolutely wrong about this silly idea of changing your oil early. Its better to wait til the appropriate interval because of the break in period. Your engine wont properly break in if you change the oil early.
Not at all correct.

Whether the engine gets broken in properly or not has nothing to do with changing the oil early, oil is a lubricant not a break in substance.

Besides that, the OP waited until 1000 miles for the first change, all critical break in is done by then.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 8/4/12 at 04:20 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 04:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't there some type of additive or coating they say should stay in the motor for a
Certain time? I did my free oil change at the dealer with oil and filter that I supplied at like 2500 miles.
Old 8/4/12, 04:47 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Isn't there some type of additive or coating they say should stay in the motor for a
Certain time? I did my free oil change at the dealer with oil and filter that I supplied at like 2500 miles.
No.......Nothing added to motor oil now days.
Old 8/4/12, 05:01 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I was refused an oil change.
Probably just racism. Was the serviceman white?

Old 8/4/12, 05:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by David Young

No.......Nothing added to motor oil now days.
Not motor oil but something in the engine. It's all over the infamous oil threads, just can't remember what it was
Old 8/4/12, 05:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
They did a good thing in stopping your silliness.
Sometimes I love your posts!

OP, that happened to me on my 06. I got a little annoyed but got over it quick. I switched to full synthetic and changed the oil every 5000 miles at around $60-80 a pop. Then I traded it in.

With this car I got my first oil change for free at 5000 miles and I'm sticking with the Ford recommended synthetic blend. My second oil change at 10k was only $28! I'm tired of wasting time and money. I'm sure the engine will be fine doing what Ford says.
Old 8/4/12, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS

Not motor oil but something in the engine. It's all over the infamous oil threads, just can't remember what it was
I remember this but I can't find the thread. A few people did early oil changes and got a ticking after the oil change, ford rep came to dealer and added some sort of graphite additive back to the oil so the parts could seat properly? Does anyone else remember the thread?
Old 8/4/12, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's annoying always seeing people talk about how the engineers know everything all the time,...if they were the greatest thing since condoms then there would never be recalls or lawsuits from design flaws.

Changing ur oil early isn't going to do any damage. Come on man!
Old 8/4/12, 08:37 PM
V6 Member

Could have just done it yourself, at your own cost and perogative, but it would have gotten done if you felt 1,000 miles was time for a oil change. Then the dealer could have done the next one for free. Everybody is happy. I personally would follow Ford's directions to a T so that I absolutely knew they would honor the powertrain warranty.
Old 8/4/12, 08:42 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ATTFighter
Well, it goes to show that they should not tell you when you can or can't get an oil change with your car that you paid for. And I was not crying I simply told him I WANT my oil change done at the 1,300 mile mark and they refused. And he simply said he will make it right. So obviously they can do it at the time I want it to be done or else I would not be going back. I just think they are a bunch of fools for refusing it especially when other dealers don't. And especially since many other people like to do it at 1,000 miles i made this post to see if anyone else ran into this problem not to argue with you about when you think I should or should not do my oil change. Mr.... I got mine done at 2,300.
they didnt tell you when.. they said NO! They have the right to say NO!

once again... I got my oil changed because of how long I had the car.. you understand that oil is time or miles..
Old 8/4/12, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked my dealer about changing my oil at 1000 miles. They said they would do it if I wanted, but that I should really wait until 3000 miles or 6 months.
Old 8/4/12, 09:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am pretty sure that will not happen from changing the oil early.
If they say you did not properly break-in the engine by taking the factory oil out too early... yes they can if they feel a failure was the result
Old 8/4/12, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

hmmmmm says the guy who made this thread https://themustangsource.com/f726/20...mended-509484/

and what do i see in that thread i see people posting that they did it at 1,000 miles, that the DEALER TOLD THEM to come in and do it at 1,000 for free and that another guy did it at 890 miles.... and quite a few other post saying their dealer did it in the 1,000-2000 range... so whats your point? Plenty of people AND DEALERS have done it in the range I WANT TO DO IT.... and that was my point of this post that many others have done it and the dealers have done it for them and MINE REFUSED.
Yup, I asked as well because there is lots of confusion.

Unlike you, I'm not upset that my dealer didn't want to change my oil either...and I have almost 6,000kms and have not changed it yet either.

You could do whatever you like, go to another dealer and get it done....being upset that your current dealer told you no and being pissed doesn't solve anything.

Good luck ,and enjoy your new car !
Old 8/4/12, 10:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
It's annoying always seeing people talk about how the engineers know everything all the time,...if they were the greatest thing since condoms then there would never be recalls or lawsuits from design flaws.

Changing ur oil early isn't going to do any damage. Come on man!
That's right engineers that build your car engines don't know much, neither the engineers building the bridges you drive on, or the buildings you go into..they know little...I guess perfection is expected at every single build ...guess you are perfect every single day at work,at home, to your loved ones

Still have to figure the service Manuel by ford for there engines is a better bet to follow than your recommendation. These engineers must be doing something right sometimes, don't u think?
Old 8/4/12, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I never said they didn't know anything. Presume too much my friend. Many on here cradle the ***** of engineers acting like they never screw anything up or have design flaws. If that were the case there would be no reason for recalls or lawsuits due to design flaws(as I previously stated). I felt the need to repeat myself since you misread or misunderstood.

Do you know what oil is used at factory fill? It may surprise u that there are zero break in additives.

Changing your oil at 1k miles (like I do) is not going to hurt anything. I've been a engine mechanic in the military for ten years now,...when we replace engines we swap the oil after 500 miles. These trucks are diesel and gas. Ford f150s to 350 bobtails.

I prefer clean amsoil in my roushcharged 5.0. I also use 30 weight oil for everyday driviing and by everyday driving I mean once a week and then switch to 10w50 when I go to the track. Manual doesn't call for this oil viscosity but in high temps/track use this is the weight you should be using. I believe roush uses 10w50 when they track,... Could be wrong though. My point is you don't always have to do what an engineer or some genius recommends.

Last edited by Thamac15; 8/4/12 at 10:45 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony

I remember this but I can't find the thread. A few people did early oil changes and got a ticking after the oil change, ford rep came to dealer and added some sort of graphite additive back to the oil so the parts could seat properly? Does anyone else remember the thread?
I changed mine at 1k miles,...no ticking here.

Moving parts are broken in before 1k miles. No WOTs for extended durations in first 100 miles.
Old 8/4/12, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do the first one yourself let them do the second.
Old 8/4/12, 11:00 PM
V6 Member

These techs know nothing about the engines or the cars they service, they simply follow a checklist they think they have memorized. Got my oil changed at 2500 miles. When I took it in and handed it off to the service attendant I told him it was a 13 with track pack and needed 5w-50 he said ok. Well sure as ****, on my receipt it says 5w-20. Made the guy who changed the oil come out, he started arguing with me that it took 5w-20. I showed him the cap he ignored and asked me where I got the wrong cap... told him to learn his cars and to put my 5w-50 in before I called fomoco on the spot. Do what you want, if there are no additives anyways then an early oil change will change nothing.
Old 8/4/12, 11:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Not at all correct.

Whether the engine gets broken in properly or not has nothing to do with changing the oil early, oil is a lubricant not a break in substance.

Besides that, the OP waited until 1000 miles for the first change, all critical break in is done by then.

I'm sorry, but I must correct this.

Breaking in an engine is a process where the different parts of the engine such as valves and valve seats wear slightly to make a better seal. The breakdown of oil viscosity is absolutely part of the calculations manufacturers use to determine proper break in and break in periods. If you replace your oil before the full break in period then you can not only extend the time it takes to properly break in your engine, you can at least theoretically prevent your engine from every properly breaking in.
Old 8/5/12, 12:49 AM
Cobra R Member

-You own a mustang...not a hyundia,kia ect...man up cinderella and do your own oil change...besides being half the fun of owning a pony car (getting your hands dirty!),with all the issues of dealerships not setting correct oil levels ect...i would want to do it myself just for peace of mind that it was done right!

Quick Reply: I was refused an oil change!