Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How do you feel about your '10-'14 after the reveal of the S550?

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/13, 03:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Well, that's certainly not bad at all if the max is 1,500. We shall see but it wouldn't surprise me to see a 5k plus MSRP on the 15 models.
Sign me up for a 5k '15!
Old 12/11/13, 03:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
Sign me up for a 5k '15!
5k added MSRP over the 2014 model. Lol
Old 12/11/13, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way there is going to be a 5K price increase because Ford still needs to remain competitive agains Camaro and Challenger.
Old 12/11/13, 04:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by newpony
No way there is going to be a 5K price increase because Ford still needs to remain competitive agains Camaro and Challenger.
Sounds like the next generation mustang wants to compete with higher end sports cars above Camaro and Challenger but we shall see .
Old 12/11/13, 04:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
As all of you argue and give your opinions on this thread, I wonder what Ford thinks as they read this thread????

Probably doing this:
Ford likes this. It's free focus-grouping.
Old 12/11/13, 04:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
For the last time, RE: axles...

No one has said that the SRA is better than an IRS in this thread. Not one single person. As far as being archaic, it really depends upon your criteria--and in terms of performance, Ford has managed to get their Mustang's SRA to run around road courses at less than 0.1 seconds slower than one of the more "sophisticated" suspension/frame vehicles with an IRS. Could the Mustang have been given an IRS before now? Yes, and it was given one--and most people who owned one of them hated it because it was tacked on for its cache and not for its performance abilities. Ford knew the suspension was going to require a serious overhaul to implement the IRS in the S197, they decided against it and planned to put it in the next (S550) iteration of the Mustang. I do think the IRS is a better suspension--it's why I'm putting off buying a S197 V8 and turning it into a NASA/SCCA race car and waiting a few years to see how the new Mustang does and what can be done with it. That said, the real benefits of the IRS over the SRA are only going to be realized by the very best drivers on a road course; that's all there is to it. I've driven plenty of vehicles with IRS, and yes, they're more comfy around turns on bumpy roads and over potholes. I've also had people tell me how surprisingly comfortable the ride is in my Shelby--which is anything but a Cadillac ride. It is an improvement, but it's not night-and-day different.

That's all I am saying.
Old 12/11/13, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the next generation mustang wants to compete with higher end sports cars above Camaro and Challenger but we shall see .
Ford wants to compete in the sense providing similar power and handling characteristics at much lower price. Working class M3. Same formula as the current Mustang. They don't want to go upmarket, that is a different ball game (Lincoln?). What is going to happen is that Ford will have to give up some of that money they were pocketing by selling cars with SRA and justify the decision by telling enthusiast that it's the best thing since slice bread.
Old 12/11/13, 05:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by newpony

Ford wants to compete in the sense providing similar power and handling characteristics at much lower price. Working class M3. Same formula as the current Mustang. They don't want to go upmarket, that is a different ball game (Lincoln?). What is going to happen is that Ford will have to give up some of that money they were pocketing by selling cars with SRA and justify the decision by telling enthusiast that it's the best thing since slice bread.
Define lower price. How much lower price because M3's can cost upwards of 70k depending on its options. So lower would be 50k. While that's lower, that's not blue color average Joe affordability for a 5.0. Everybody is focusing on how big HP numbers and performance which is great but at what cost. Any good automotive company can build a fast good handling vehicle but will they sell it for a cost the average blue collar worker can afford. That is exactly what Ford and the Mustang represented for decades. I'm all for the next generation mustang being the next great supercar but not at the cost of supercar prices.

Mustangs have so many awesome things about then but to me the greatest is there ability to modify so easy. You can buy a 305 HP stang for under 23k and build a 350 HP car over time for under 2k in mods.

Hopefully Ford will keep it to where consumers can still by a base 2015 mustang for around 28-30k in price.
Old 12/11/13, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, that's certainly not bad at all if the max is 1,500. We shall see but it wouldn't surprise me to see a 5k plus MSRP on the 15 models.
No offense but I hope you are wrong about that
Old 12/11/13, 07:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

No offense but I hope you are wrong about that
I hope I'm so wrong and not even close but it just seems to me that Ford may be moving away from what the mustang really was and should be. Not a high end worlds super sports car. I hope a base 5.0 is still around 31K. I hope the base V6 is still around 24K. This still gives middle class ,blue collar workers the opportunity at owning a new iconic pony. Depending on the price Ford sets for the 4 banger turbo it may be a few thousand less than a 5.0. For a few thousand less here in America majority will buy the 5.0 over the 4 banger. European sales will be very different which the 4 banger will sell far more units than 6 and 8 combined.
Old 12/11/13, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my '13 back in June, still learning how to drive it (my first manual, only 2k miles logged). Love the S550 redesign. Waiting to see what happens with the Boss 302 and GT 350 variants.

The last two generations have had 10yr life cycles, so we've got time.
Old 12/11/13, 08:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Coraanu
Just got my '13 back in June, still learning how to drive it (my first manual, only 2k miles logged). Love the S550 redesign. Waiting to see what happens with the Boss 302 and GT 350 variants.

The last two generations have had 10yr life cycles, so we've got time.
Is the Boss coming back anytime soon. I thought 2013 was the last year..
Old 12/11/13, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
I notice the SRA every time I drive the car, on something as simple as pulling into my driveway slowly or driving down a poor quality road, something we all probably drive on every day. It's not enough that I don't love the car, but it's a definite negative to me. You and your passengers' head/shoulders jerking from side to side , the noise, it's all a part of the SRA experience.

Of course they've been successful for 50 years with the car, but it's not because everyone loves their solid rear axles. Again, a great majority of people that own Mustangs probably don't even know that's what their car has. They just know it rides really rough compared to cars they're used to.

No, I don't have a research study confirming that 95% is completely accurate. But if 100K Mustangs are bought in a given year, there's not a chance more than 5,000 of them are being hardcore drag-raced week in and week out where they truly see the benefits of the SRA. Not a chance.

FYI the IRS will bring lots of wheel hop with it.
Old 12/11/13, 09:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I hope I'm so wrong and not even close but it just seems to me that Ford may be moving away from what the mustang really was and should be. Not a high end worlds super sports car. I hope a base 5.0 is still around 31K. I hope the base V6 is still around 24K. This still gives middle class ,blue collar workers the opportunity at owning a new iconic pony. Depending on the price Ford sets for the 4 banger turbo it may be a few thousand less than a 5.0. For a few thousand less here in America majority will buy the 5.0 over the 4 banger. European sales will be very different which the 4 banger will sell far more units than 6 and 8 combined.
I can see where that's coming from, but remember, the average price of a new car is now over $31,000 (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ugust/2761341/). It's **** tough, if you're Ford, to balance the history you're talking about with the reality of profitability and being able to sell the car outside the US.
Old 12/11/13, 09:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

I can see where that's coming from, but remember, the average price of a new car is now over $31,000 (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ugust/2761341/). It's **** tough, if you're Ford, to balance the history you're talking about with the reality of profitability and being able to sell the car outside the US.
No problem if the car is 31k but I just hope not 35k plus for base model 5.0.
Old 12/12/13, 04:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I got my copy of Automobile magazine (I think it was that one) that had a cover story on the 2015 Mustang. They designed the IRS so it can 'easily' be removed from the car and replaced with a solid rear axle if desired. The rear wheelbase is 3" wider so im not sure if anyone will be able to retrofit that to our 'older' models (I know absolutely nothing about suspension).. Apparently they understood going to IRS would force many drag racing mustang fans to look elsewhere for another car with a solid rear axle. The magazine did also say that the Boss is done and there will be a GT350 in the distant future, but did not mention a GT500 returning. 2-3 years into this new model there will also be a twin-turbo 4 cylinder engine as well. I for one do not like the new front end at all (especially compared to my 13'), the headlights look unproportionately (lol) too far apart, however the interior and the back look pretty sweet to me. I also would rather see the retro faux gas cap on the back still, or nothing there rather than the running pony. It seems out of place... I'm wondering if us guys with the automatics will be able to possibly use the paddle shifters from the 15'?!?
Old 12/12/13, 07:06 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a quick forum point of order question for when the 2015's hit the streets.

When the Ecoboosters join the forum, are my fellow V6 owners permitted to look down our noses at them like the V8 club does to us currently?

What is the planned pecking order?

Old 12/12/13, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
though we have seat assignments,we(V8/V6/Eco) all end up having the same economy lane....
Old 12/12/13, 08:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PonyOx
I have a quick forum point of order question for when the 2015's hit the streets.

When the Ecoboosters join the forum, are my fellow V6 owners permitted to look down our noses at them like the V8 club does to us currently?

I think we are still bottom feeders, the v6 will be the base engine...
Old 12/12/13, 08:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyOx

The ECOBOOST I4 is being positioned between the Base V6 and the GT as far as HP and TQ go ... the V6 will still be base car with Base HP.

As far as the 2015 .. the only thing I like about it is the new rear panel and tail lights ... Everything else is just a mix of NOn-Mustang body lines that have been seen on numorous other cars over the years. Almost looks like a bastard child of a Charger and Camaro now ...

This could possibly be the demise of the Mustang .... if I wanted a curvy World-Car .. I'd buy a BMW M3 or an Audi ....

Last edited by dmhines; 12/12/13 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about your '10-'14 after the reveal of the S550?