Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How do you feel about your '10-'14 after the reveal of the S550?

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/13, 10:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
Wow.

Do you race 100% of the time?

IRS is MORE COMFORTABLE AT ANY SPEED. PERIOD!

Like I said, sit in the back of your car and have someone drive down a bumpy road. Do you think being bounced up and down and tossed from side to side is comfortable? Riding in the back of a Mustang is like riding in the bed of a pickup truck, and guess why. They both have solid axle rear ends.

It's really simple.

With a solid axle rear end if the tire goes up the whole car goes up.

With IRS if the tire goes up the car stays flat.

Regardless of the speed, that is a fact. Even at a dead stop it's true.

Put a brick on the ground and drive your Mustang until the front tire is on top and look at how the car sits. Almost totally flat, isn't it? That's independent suspension at work. Now pull forward and stop with your rear tire on the brick and look at how much the back end has raised and tilted. That's your solid axle.

Next time you drive over a speed bump and that rear end raises way up and then drops down with a bounce, thank your solid axle rear end for that. That's just the inevitable result of supporting the chassis on the ends of the solid axle rather than supporting it on a center hinge and letting the tires move up and down independently of the chassis.
I'll admit, you're pretty **** good at completely missing the point of a conversation.
Old 12/10/13, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my 04 mach for 10 years, and didn't fall into a club or anything, I still love the 94-98 shape the most. The mach I bought because it was the quickest I could afford when I was young and stupid, didn't regret it when the 05s came out. I didn't care much for the 05-09, then the 10s came out and was kinda indifferent. The 13s I loved the front and immediately thought I'll have one one day. By that point the Coyote was proving itself too. Now that the 15s came out, the front isn't "WOW" to me, but definitely good looking. The rear has me wondering WTF they were thinking; though that's how the 13s looked like on paper to me as well, until I saw them in person. Maybe the 15 is that way, maybe it isn't.

As far as the IRS, I'm not feeling it. Then again, other than 2 fwd cars, i have always had something with solid axles - 2 superduties, 2 jeeps, 4 mustangs, 1 marauder, 2 f150s, etc. My back doesn't hurt because I have an inferior solid axle, and I don't have to drink my coffee while holding my pinky up if I ride in something with an IRS. Luckily the mach came with a solid axle otherwise it would have been the first thing swapped out. I hope there's at least an option for a solid axle in the 2015+.

Will I get one? Probably not. Happy with the 2013. Most companies seem to do a tick-tock development cycle, Ford does it kind of different; change platforms, keep drivetrain for a year or two, update drivetrain with a mild refresh of looks. Only exception to this was the 05 which changed drivetrain as well as platform... If anything, I'll wait for the updated drivetrain - and hopefully new rear end - in 2-3 years.
Old 12/10/13, 11:35 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I've got a 13 and look at it this way.

There will hopefully always be something better until there's not.

My gripes about the 15 are very small on the grand scheme of things.

I think the car is far better than the 05 which honestly in plain V6 or GT trim is pretty mundane even if it is retro. It did dress up nicely and look pretty bad *** with the right exterior modifications. It seems as the Mustang has advanced in the last decade Ford has made the car more unique and even elegant from the factory. All the little exterior upgrades we used to do aren't necessary. Sure we will always put new wheels and lower the cars but the other things like hoods and spoilers and front splitters are pretty good as is on the car. The cars just look better as they progress from 05 to 10 to 13 to 15 in my opinion. There's less of a need to add to the design to make it look better. Ford has finally got some style going with the curves and the hips and unique headlamps and tail lamps.

But that certainly won't stop a lot of enthusiasts from making their own mark on their 15. And that's great. That's what the Mustang has become all about. Before I bought my first Mustang in 2007 the only modifications I made to any car I've owned since 1987 was a stereo and some window tint. And in the case of my trucks maybe a bit of a lift for larger tires. Yet with the Mustang its hard not to do mods to it. It's hard not to go overboard. Its hard not to take off the mod I did last year because I've changed my mind and like the new mods this year. I've seen some incredible Mustangs on this site made from some fairly plain factory cars and its credit to Ford and the aftermarket manufacturers and our willingness to ****** these mods up with our disposable income.

I have no plans for a 2015, 2016, or 2017. But then again maybe I'll fall in love one day when I see one. Or see one done right by a member here.

And the car is improved in every other regard. There's not one thing outside of the exterior looks that almost everyone here doesn't agree is better and in some cases far better than what it was last year and especially last decade.
Old 12/11/13, 12:10 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm challenged with why Ford designers have completely lost their way on the rear. First the 10-12 has the whacko diaper, with the side view of this rat junk hanging low.
Then the 13/14 is so tall from the back it looks like they're dragging a 2 story building down the freeway - with slanted twink taillights no less.
So the 15 resolves some of that by lowering the deck by a few inches, but then they have to do this slant thing with the bumper cover sticking out - which from the side profile looks like it's pooching its butt out at you. WTF?

What's wrong with those guys? Why do they have to design the rear so out of the ordinary that it becomes the fault line.

IMO
Old 12/11/13, 01:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The rear end of the 2015 is an improvement over the giant a$$ end of my 2014, but I am still very pleased with the car. I bet I can get way more people in the trunk of my GT/CS than in the 2015! Ha!

The IRS might be a nice thing to have, but the current straight axle is fairly well developed and does a very good job...especially in a straight line run.

For now, I'm content with the 2014. We'll see how the new model develops over the next few years. I also hope to see some specialty versions introduced soon!
Old 12/11/13, 04:21 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
As all of you argue and give your opinions on this thread, I wonder what Ford thinks as they read this thread????

Probably doing this:

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/11/13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12/11/13, 05:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I'm challenged with why Ford designers have completely lost their way on the rear. First the 10-12 has the whacko diaper, with the side view of this rat junk hanging low.
Then the 13/14 is so tall from the back it looks like they're dragging a 2 story building down the freeway - with slanted twink taillights no less.
So the 15 resolves some of that by lowering the deck by a few inches, but then they have to do this slant thing with the bumper cover sticking out - which from the side profile looks like it's pooching its butt out at you. WTF?

What's wrong with those guys? Why do they have to design the rear so out of the ordinary that it becomes the fault line.

IMO
That's my favorite part of my 2011 stang. I love that rear you call diaper. It looks so bad a$$. Best looking rear. Oh yeah. Lol
Old 12/11/13, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
And I love the back end of the 13-14! I think the black decklid panel looks great, and I absolutely love the LED lights in the back with the Halo like surround. Best looking Mustang rear end in recent years in my opinion. I liked the 2000-2004 rear ends as well. A bit tall? Sure. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 12/11/13, 07:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by smrbrz
"So to build the car with a feature that's a negative with 95% of its buyers (or more) is stupid and I'm glad Ford finally realized/admitted it."

Can you cite your reference for the 95%? Have you known all of them for the last 50 years?

Ford has been very successful for 50 years with their Mustangs (I've had three) and their axles. Having owned Porsches and other German cars I am familiar, as well, with IRS. I believe that for the general Mustang driver (me) there is little noticeable difference on most American roads. Personally, I'll take my solid axle, 2014, GT convertible (brute force) Mustang over my recent 911 I traded. I believe it is just simply a lot more fun to drive.
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
#1 thing I hated giving up when I got rid of my 2005 GTO? The IRS.

#1 thing I noticed the most when I got my 2013 Mustang? The solid axle tramping all over the place on bumps.
I notice the SRA every time I drive the car, on something as simple as pulling into my driveway slowly or driving down a poor quality road, something we all probably drive on every day. It's not enough that I don't love the car, but it's a definite negative to me. You and your passengers' head/shoulders jerking from side to side , the noise, it's all a part of the SRA experience.

Of course they've been successful for 50 years with the car, but it's not because everyone loves their solid rear axles. Again, a great majority of people that own Mustangs probably don't even know that's what their car has. They just know it rides really rough compared to cars they're used to.

No, I don't have a research study confirming that 95% is completely accurate. But if 100K Mustangs are bought in a given year, there's not a chance more than 5,000 of them are being hardcore drag-raced week in and week out where they truly see the benefits of the SRA. Not a chance.
Old 12/11/13, 08:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO
I actually owned a first gen S197...One of my least favorite things about it are those incredibly dated wheel arch blisters. I also just can't look at the truck-ish blocky front end anymore. It just looks very early-2000s to me.

None of these cars are perfect from every angle but in general, Mustang body styles have been pretty **** good looking from day 1 (Mustang II not withstanding)

I'm not a huge fan of the rear view on the '10-'14 cars but it's not horrible. Plus, the slow people in 4.6L cars are the ones who have to look at it.

Last edited by MRGTX; 12/11/13 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12/11/13, 08:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MDkid92
I like my '13 very much. If I could afford a new one, I would definitely trade mine in. But my big thing is, what's the interior going to look like on a base model??? Because all the photos appear to be premium models.
The red GT at the LA premier had the base interior, with Recaros (even though the car had the performance pack). If you check out the album below, you can see multiple pics of the base interior. Just remember it also has the optional seats, so don't count on them being the base units:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...stang-gt-live/

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Uh...no one said the SRA was better. I should be surprised how many people are still trying to condemn the SRA as a stone-age piece of equipment that can't hang with anything boasting an IRS.
But the SRA is a stone-age piece of equipment; there's a reason no other serious performance-oriented vehicle sold in the US has used one in decades. Sure, in good conditions the car 'can hang' with an IRS-equipped one, but it's not in good conditions where a SRA's weaknesses are apparent. In poor/bumpy conditions the SRA becomes immediately obvious & limiting. That's a plain fact; if it wasn't, the rest of the world wouldn't have abandoned the design 30 years ago.

I put up with it in my '13 5.0 because I bought it consciously wanting a somewhat 'old-school' muscle/pony experience.

But in '2015'; on an all-new world car designed to be the 'everyman's supercar', celebrating 50 years of continuous Mustang sales? Yeah, it's time for the Mustang to grow up, and embrace the 'advanced technology' (as someone else called it) that went mainstream for everyone else in the early 1980's (), I think. I can't believe there's even debate on this topic (well okay, I can, because it's the internet; but really...)

Last edited by SennaF1; 12/11/13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12/11/13, 09:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SennaF1
The red GT at the LA premier had the base interior, with Recaros (even though the car had the performance pack). If you check out the album below, you can see multiple pics of the base interior. Just remember it also has the optional seats, so don't count on them being the base units:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...stang-gt-live/

But the SRA is a stone-age piece of equipment; there's a reason no other serious performance-oriented vehicle sold in the US has used one in decades. Sure, in good conditions the car 'can hang' with an IRS-equipped one, but it's not in good conditions where a SRA's weaknesses are apparent. In poor/bumpy conditions the SRA becomes immediately obvious & limiting. That's a plain fact; if it wasn't, the rest of the world wouldn't have abandoned the design 30 years ago.

I put up with it in my '13 5.0 because I bought it consciously wanting a somewhat 'old-school' muscle/pony experience.

But in '2015'; on an all-new world car designed to be the 'everyman's supercar', celebrating 50 years of continuous Mustang sales? Yeah, it's time for the Mustang to grow up, and embrace the 'advanced technology' (as someone else called it) that went mainstream for everyone else in the early 1980's (), I think. I can't believe there's even debate on this topic (well okay, I can, because it's the internet; but really...)
So how much is this everyman's supercar gonna cost me the customer? How much more over the prices of current models?.
Old 12/11/13, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

THANK YOU.

Now, for the rest of the folks out there that don't know, please walk to the rear of your Mustang and have a look over the tire. You see that spring located on the distal end of the axle? Well, that's a part of the suspension. Yes! The Mustang has what folks call a "suspension". Archaic or not, it does allow the axle to articulate with respect to the chassis.

My 14 is a beast and is way more fun to drive around corners than my S2000 ever was. Where the S was like a surgical instrument that could literally be thrown into corners with no effort or concern (light weight and double wishbone all around), the Mustang requires planning, but it feels every bit as confident and the added bonus of being able to steer with the throttle is part of the fun.

My S2000's rear end skipped around at 7/10+ and my MR2s, which are mid-engine/RWD platforms required 100% concentration at that level. These SRA Mustangs are great performers and the newer gen will prove to be even more capable under certain, more extreme conditions.

Yeah, the S550 will be a load of fun to drive, but reading all of this negativity regarding the SRA is just laughable. Most Mustang owners are women and I've yet to hear one complain about the bumpy ride. Please, sack up or buy a Lexus if a firm ride is not desirable. I'm looking forward to seeing more data about the 15. I'll be springing for a 16/17 MY if I like what I see. So far, so good.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 12/11/13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12/11/13, 11:03 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
So how much is this everyman's supercar gonna cost me the customer? How much more over the prices of current models?.
We'll all find out when Ford releases pricing. All reports indicate a moderate (2-3%) increase in base prices across the range, which is pretty consistent with standard industry increases accompanying complete redesigns.

The idea that adding IRS is somehow going to dramatically increase the price of the car is mostly just FUD spread around by Ford and lapped up by drag enthusiasts after they failed to incorporate it into the last redesign as was hoped. If it were so hard to economically put IRS in a $25k-$35k sports car, why does every single other car manufacturer in the segment manage to do exactly that?

Last edited by SennaF1; 12/11/13 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12/11/13, 11:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SennaF1
We'll all find out when Ford releases pricing. All reports indicate a moderate (2-3%) increase in base prices across the range, which is pretty consistent with standard industry increases accompanying complete redesigns.

The idea that adding IRS is somehow going to dramatically increase the price of the car is mostly just FUD spread around by Ford and lapped up by drag enthusiasts after they failed to incorporate it into the last redesign as was hoped. If it were so hard to economically put IRS in a $25k-$35k sports car, why does every single other car manufacturer in the segment manage to do exactly that?
So if the base price is 30k and 3% additional the new base will be 900 dollars more. That's great. I'm sure its not hard to put IRS in. This is not new technology
Old 12/11/13, 11:56 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
THANK YOU.

the Mustang requires planning, but it feels every bit as confident and the added bonus of being able to steer with the throttle is part of the fun.
^ This!
Old 12/11/13, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fdesalvo
...My 14 is a beast and is way more fun to drive around corners than my S2000 ever was. Where the S was like a surgical instrument that could literally be thrown into corners with no effort or concern (light weight and double wishbone all around), the Mustang requires planning, but it feels every bit as confident and the added bonus of being able to steer with the throttle is part of the fun.....
I think your post was pretty spot on... but the S2000 is known to swap ends on even the most experienced drivers. The 2.2L cars were suppsedly slightly less terrifying... but those things are widow makers!

So I'm not doubting you and the S2k of either version is a great handling car but throwing it into a corner with "no concern" is a one-way ticket for most drivers.
Old 12/11/13, 01:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
So if the base price is 30k and 3% additional the new base will be 900 dollars more. That's great. I'm sure its not hard to put IRS in. This is not new technology
The rumor on the S197 always was that it was going to cost $100 more to have IRS and it got cut out because of that. Not sure how true it is but, if so, that's laughable considering this car comes standard with custom gauge colors and puddle lamps in the shape of a horse. I love both those features but they cost more than $100 and are way less useful than IRS!
Old 12/11/13, 01:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Many were wondering what would happen with the new Corvette's price, given all the technology changes it had (new platform as well). The base price did not increase that much over that of the 2013 model.

I also would expect an increase that is $900-$1500 more for this Mustang, based on past history.
Old 12/11/13, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

Many were wondering what would happen with the new Corvette's price, given all the technology changes it had (new platform as well). The base price did not increase that much over that of the 2013 model.

I also would expect an increase that is $900-$1500 more for this Mustang, based on past history.
Well, that's certainly not bad at all if the max is 1,500. We shall see but it wouldn't surprise me to see a 5k plus MSRP on the 15 models.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about your '10-'14 after the reveal of the S550?