Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How do you feel about your '10-'14 after the reveal of the S550?

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/13, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I will be driving a Black one with 5.0 and options. My car is going on 3 years old with 22k miles so I guess it's worn out and it's time for a new one.
Old 12/8/13, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rick57
ps whats so great about an irs rear end?.
They are FAR better at cornering and at keeping the car flat and level when the road isn't.

The easiest way to tell the difference is hitting a bump while going through a corner. The solid axle rear end will cause the car to bounce, lean, and throw the weight around. If you're pushing the car hard it could cause you to lose control. The reason is that the chassis sits on top of the axle, and if the axle goes up or down, so does the chassis.

An independent rear suspension has a hinge in the middle that allows the rear tires to move independently of the chassis. If you hit a bump going around a corner that one tire goes up and down, but the rest of the car remains flat and stable.

The real question is, what is so good about a solid axle rear end. The answer is, unless you're drag racing with 1,000+hp or offroading, nothing. It has no advantage over an independent rear suspension on the streets. NONE. There is no situation in performance driving where you want the rear end of the chassis to be bounced up and down and tossed side to side mid-corner. That's why every performance car on earth, from the Bugatti Veyron down to the Mini Cooper use an IRS.

Or, to put it another way... Would you want the independent suspension on the front of your Mustang removed and replaced with a solid axle? If not, why would you want one on the rear?

Last edited by Moustang; 12/8/13 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12/8/13, 09:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at getting a 14 since my 12 has 22000 miles and a few years old now. It looks like I will be getting a 14 cheaper than I actually got my 12 and with a few options that I wanted after the fact of not having them for 2 years on a base model. My first mod will be to get steeda suspension on the live axle instead of tuning immediately as I did my 12. The 15 looks great and I think Ford did a great job with the car but I know there will be quirks to work out. And the changes are not so drastic that make the 11-14 look Archaic. I'm really looking forward to the 14, the last of a generation.
Old 12/8/13, 10:28 PM
GT Member

My two cents. It's not my taste. Stubby nose, big a** and really busy dash. I don't see a WOW factor. I just keep looking at my baby and loving her more. I like the 10-12 MY because of the fact they had unique looks between the models. I love the GT/CS front end I put on. You could mix and match the factory parts and have your own unique look. To each their own and if you got nothing good to say and so on.

Last edited by ledsled; 12/8/13 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12/8/13, 10:47 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
The '15 looks fine but there isn't really anything about it that would make me go out and buy it. I'm not a mustang purest or any kind of expert. The looks of the '15 just don't appeal to me. plain and simple.
Old 12/8/13, 11:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
The '15 looks fine but there isn't really anything about it that would make me go out and buy it. I'm not a mustang purest or any kind of expert. The looks of the '15 just don't appeal to me. plain and simple.

If I didn't own a Mustang now and was considering a new 2 door sports coupe, I would be interested in taking one for a test drive, but there isn't anything about it that really screams "MUSTANG" at me. It looks like a large number of other similar sized 2 door sports coupes, and from many angles it looks like it could easily just be a body kit on some Japanese coupe.

But I never have bought cars off of looks. I buy them for the way they drive and feel on the road. I bought my Mustang because it driving it always puts a smile on my face. If the new one did the same and I was in the market, I would buy it.
Old 12/8/13, 11:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I was aware of all the rumors about the 2015, including IRS, when I was considering ordering my first Mustang. I seriously considered waiting for the 2015. Then I went ahead and ordered my 2014 and I have no regrets. I like the look of the 2015, but I would have lost at least a year and a half of pleasure waiting for the 2015.

The way most of us drive our Mustangs, we will never see the axle hop that is the reported problem with the solid rear axle. I have chased Honda S2000s on very twisty roads and they could not get that Ruby Red thing out of their rearview mirrors.

I'm delighted with what Ford has done with the 2015, but my 2014 will be with me for a long time. I'm quite happy to dance with what brung me.
Old 12/8/13, 11:11 PM

The '15 is actually growing on me and I can't wait to see one in person. That being said, I won't be getting rid of my '14 any time in the near future. I love it! I bought it in August because I have loved this body style since it was introduced and I wanted this generation. My current car is a base model V6 coupe which I will probably drive for at least a few years but I am one who tends to trade in cars after about 60,000 miles (~3 years with my driving habits). Hopefully by that time, I will have been able to pay this one down some and can get at least a premium coupe if not a vert. Can't wait to see what Roush does with it and also what the special editions look like. It is a beautiful car!
Old 12/9/13, 12:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would never give up my mirror pony projection lights.
Old 12/9/13, 03:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
I bought my 11, ( still have it ), & my 14 based on looks, options, & hp.
There won't be a 15 in my driveway, based on looks, options, & a lack of hp..
Old 12/9/13, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I feel good. I think value will hold well because the styling is simply better. The only thing I feel like I'm missing out on are the interior upgrades. Looks like Ford delayed a ton of crap for the 2015 model
Old 12/9/13, 07:22 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
The way most of us drive our Mustangs, we will never see the axle hop that is the reported problem with the solid rear axle. I have chased Honda S2000s on very twisty roads and they could not get that Ruby Red thing out of their rearview mirrors.
That's a good point. For 90% of Mustang owners this isn't really a concern. But the remainder of us who track our cars at road courses are salivating over the idea of an IRS Mustang. It's annoying to see little a little Miata go through a bumpy corner undisturbed, while you're making corrections to avoid a tank slapper instead of concentrating on your line.
Old 12/9/13, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won't buy a first year car of a new design. I'll give them a few years to work out all the kinks. Hence why I bought a 2013
Old 12/9/13, 08:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
That's a good point. For 90% of Mustang owners this isn't really a concern. But the remainder of us who track our cars at road courses are salivating over the idea of an IRS Mustang. It's annoying to see little a little Miata go through a bumpy corner undisturbed, while you're making corrections to avoid a tank slapper instead of concentrating on your line.
Makes for a lot more interesting drive though.
Old 12/9/13, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the '15 is gonna be great car, besides the styling they really updated the platform to be in line with the rest of Ford's newer cars while carrying over some good stuff from the S-197. My only worry is that the lower roofline and seating position is going to make for Camaro-like outward visibility.
Old 12/9/13, 10:37 AM
GT Member

The 15 is different....absolutely different.....I have a 14, will not get rid of her at all. I am not grasping the lines of the car...front of a Fusion, the sides might be a Mustang, the rear is more of a Maverick. But then again, Ford has made theses radical changes before, then came back to a Basic look of the Mustang again.....so the 15 is a change to allow for more change to come.
Old 12/9/13, 10:39 AM

I like the car, but I hope it drives the prices of '13s and '14s down when I'm ready to buy in the next year or so.
Old 12/9/13, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
Makes for a lot more interesting drive though.
True. Makes you a more aware driver. And the solid rear axle in the current Mustang is one of the best ones out there for sure.

I think one of the car magazines said that the 10-14 Mustangs have one of the best live axle setups ever made, but that's like saying that you're the healthiest patient in urgent care. Lol, how true.
Old 12/9/13, 10:47 AM
GT Member

I love the new 15, it's an amazing car. Ford has really keyed in on addressing a lot of the barriers to it becoming a globally accepted car. I'm sure it will be a success but IMO its appearance has been greatly watered down. The 2015 appears to have lost its soul. The poor pony has been broken, cleaned up, main braided, and now our horse is on its way to becoming a global head turner. It's clear it will provide a better driving experience for most, the 2015 really is amazing but after having seen some of the final renderings and spy shots a few months ago, I immediately ran out and secured my 2014. I was not even in the market for a GT yet and ended up selling a 997 Carerra 4S to get it. That is how bad I wanted to get a new GT before the 15 hit.

While getting gas the other day I nearly shat myself when I saw this 69 Mach 1. The fact that was black really had my heart fluttering. I backed in next to it and took a few shots. I mention this because I feel like visually, the lineage didn't carry over to the 2015. Yeah it has quite a handful of visual clues to its past but the body/content of the car isn't there. If a black 2015 was sitting among my GT and this Mach 1 it just wouldn't look right IMO.
Attached Thumbnails How do you feel about your '10-'14 after the reveal of the S550?-gt-m1.jpg  
Old 12/9/13, 11:35 AM
V6 Member

I think the '15 is looking quite amazing, and the specs promise performance that is going to be most impressive. More HP, IRS, bigger/wider tires & brakes, lighter (or no heavier), and a better interior? Yes, please!

Overall, the '15 has a leaner and tighter (looking) shape. I do have to say (like figit), I really like the "family resemblance" the front end of my '13 has with the late 60's Stangs though, and that is gone. It's still obviously a Mustang, but not so clearly derived from the earlier ones (which is what they said was going to happen, so that's logical).

There's really no loss in my pride of ownership on my '13. I'll have owned my S197 for nearly 2 years before the S550 starts showing up on dealer lots, and I don't expect I'll be rushing to trade it in for one (though I probably won't be able to resist a test drive ;-) ).

Quick Reply: How do you feel about your '10-'14 after the reveal of the S550?