Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hood Scoops, Side Scoops, HIDs... oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/10, 11:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not a fan of the side scoops... I think they look too small... kinda a like an eagle with humingbird wings...haha... I think the aftermarket will come out with some that look better. I'm not against the idea... I just don't like ford's design.

Last edited by codeman94; 5/27/10 at 11:05 AM. Reason: I kant spell
Old 5/27/10, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The scoops take in air and turn it into turbo powah

Oh, and definitely get security package with wheel lock. And then go buy two more wheel lock kits from somewhere, so you would need three keys to unlock the wheel.

Search on Google "My rims were stolen" and you will see many horror stories. Some thieves will take the wheels right from your front yard. Don't risk it. Unless you garage your car and plan to NEVER leave the car outside, I'd say it's a cheap price to pay for safety and a peace of mind.

Last edited by ireallycare; 5/27/10 at 02:25 PM.
Old 5/27/10, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the hood and side scoops and I love them. Otherwise the bare Mustang looks like a secratary's car to me. I am 5'7" and I have the seat raised abit to see over the scoop but not too much. Becuase when I raise it too much, my keys and keychain constantly hit my knee.

Regarding functionality of the scoop, I have news for you..the rear spoilers are for looks only too at anything but high speeds. And the 19" wheels are for looks only...the stripes are for looks only, etc, etc.

Joe
Old 5/28/10, 10:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
I have the hood and side scoops and I love them. Otherwise the bare Mustang looks like a secratary's car to me. I am 5'7" and I have the seat raised abit to see over the scoop but not too much. Becuase when I raise it too much, my keys and keychain constantly hit my knee.

Regarding functionality of the scoop, I have news for you..the rear spoilers are for looks only too at anything but high speeds. And the 19" wheels are for looks only...the stripes are for looks only, etc, etc.

Joe
I wonder why I never meet those secretaries. . .
Old 5/28/10, 11:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kierankelly
I got the hood and side scoops on my `11 and I'm glad I did. Just gives it a different look from the rest of them out there, and that's what I like.

The hood scoop will blend in a bit more once I get the car striped in a few months and the side scoops are barely noticeable, but I like them.

To each his own.

Old 5/28/10, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought of getting the 1/4 window louvers...and I did order them...but my dealer informed me that I cannot order them as a stand alone. No big deal and he gave me the option of having them installed by his dealership...but after seeing pics of after market flush louvers, I've decided to go with the flush units....I will order them sometime next week and have them painted and installed within hours of my car being delivered (1st planned mod :-))

On a side note...I'm really hoping that SMS sells their 2011 hood to the public. So, if anyone has or comes across any information regarding the sell of this hood...PLEASE send me a message...THANKS
Old 5/28/10, 12:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou_n_Ada
I thought of getting the 1/4 window louvers...and I did order them...but my dealer informed me that I cannot order them as a stand alone. No big deal and he gave me the option of having them installed by his dealership...but after seeing pics of after market flush louvers, I've decided to go with the flush units....I will order them sometime next week and have them painted and installed within hours of my car being delivered (1st planned mod :-))

On a side note...I'm really hoping that SMS sells their 2011 hood to the public. So, if anyone has or comes across any information regarding the sell of this hood...PLEASE send me a message...THANKS
Luis, I see we are going to have very similar cars. I've also ordered a GT Premium in Kona Blue with glass roof and electronics package. Differences are that mine will have the 18" polished wheels, manual transmission, and the standard headlamps. I've already received my flush mounted quarter window louvers from SilverHorse Racing. I got them pre-painted because painting them is not just a simple job of spraying them. One side needs to be black, the other body color, and the "window" sections need to be left unpainted. I figured I'd rather have that done by someone who has done it a hundred times.
Old 5/28/10, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Luis, I see we are going to have very similar cars. I've also ordered a GT Premium in Kona Blue with glass roof and electronics package. Differences are that mine will have the 18" polished wheels, manual transmission, and the standard headlamps. I've already received my flush mounted quarter window louvers from SilverHorse Racing. I got them pre-painted because painting them is not just a simple job of spraying them. One side needs to be black, the other body color, and the "window" sections need to be left unpainted. I figured I'd rather have that done by someone who has done it a hundred times.
Thanks for the reply...on the window louvers from SilverHorse Racing...did you have SilverHorse paint them? If so, that would be awesome...with our cars so new from the factory, matching the paint should be pretty straight forward.

I thought long and hard on the 18" wheels and auto vs manual. Since I plan on getting a set of killer 19" custom wheels, I kept telling myself to get the 18". But I really like the factory five star 19" rims and will see what they look like when I complete my exterior mods. If they look out of place or not agressive enough, then I will go ahead and buy a set of custom rims.

On the manual vs auto, I just decided that getting an auto would be more relaxing. My last three GTs were manuals and I loved it...which made the decision that much harder...but after test driving a auto, I know I can live it.

Best of luck with your GT...from reading what other members have been saying about their cars, we're in for a hell of a treat. Can't wait!!

Lou
Old 5/28/10, 11:02 PM
GT Member

The reason I think the fake hood scoop is worse on the new body style than the 05-09 is that the new hood already had a pronounced bulge to it. Adding the scoop makes it look like a double decker hood scoop or something. I think it absolutely ruins the look of the front end. Doesn't work *at all*. The side scoops are OK, just not for me.
Old 5/29/10, 03:17 AM
Cobra R Member

No to hood and side plastic...(but i also like look with no rear wing)

As for hid...don't forget they make front end look diff

with

without

Old 5/29/10, 06:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply...on the window louvers from SilverHorse Racing...did you have SilverHorse paint them?
Yes. I'm going to have a little other painting done so I was wondering if I should get the louvers pre-painted or just let the body shop do it when I have them paint the grill surround and lower rear valence panel. I started a thread here asking about other members' experience with them. It was pretty universal. Everyone who bought them loved them and they said to get them pre-painted.

I went back and forth on the wheels, too. I think the 19" nickel luster painted wheels are beautiful. In the end I decided I liked the 18" polished wheels a tiny bet better with Kona Blue, plus replacement 18" tires will be cheaper than the same model of tires in 19".
Old 5/29/10, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

The hood scoop does block some of the road view. Is it enough to block the view - that up to you - I thought the scoop was not worth it. The HID are well worth the $. The road is much more viewable than with the std lights. Never had anyone flash me. I believe some of the aftermarket light conversion kits have inferior light projection systems and allow more light upward and into oncoming traffic. The side scoops look tacky IMO. The light in the footwells can be turned off if you want. The cup holder light and other accent lights will also be turned off. The light is so faint it is not bothersome.

Last edited by RMS70; 5/29/10 at 08:47 AM.
Old 5/30/10, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well tomorrow is the big day. I've decided no side scoops or hood scoop. But I'm thinking no to window louvers as well but can't find any good pics of the stock ones. Anyone got any pics or links to post of the factory window louvers?
Old 5/30/10, 10:56 PM
Cobra R Member

play with this...mabe will help you?

http://www.fordvehicles.com/mustang/?id=/customizer
Old 5/31/10, 03:36 PM

Yeah, I'm going with a set of aftermarket louvers for my GT/CS. The ford louvers just aren't aggressive enough for my taste. Now i just have to wait for these to be pre-painted in Race Red.
Old 6/2/10, 04:26 PM
GT Member

I thought of getting the 1/4 window louvers...and I did order them...but my dealer informed me that I cannot order them as a stand alone.
It amazes me that dealers wouldn't know what can and cannot be ordered. The louvers can be ordered primed from Ford Accessories for $112.50 each, DIY, or $201.50 each, including dealer installation.

Left side part #: AR3Z-63280B10-BA
Right side part #: AR3Z-63280B10-AA

I have no idea what the paint would cost, but at least this is a start for somebody looking for factory parts.
Old 6/2/10, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RandyW
I agree 100%. The stock hood on the 2010-11 is the most beautiful hood the Mustang has ever had, in my view. To add a hood scoop is a desecration.
Agreed!