Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hood Scoops, Side Scoops, HIDs... oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/10, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Scoops, Side Scoops, HIDs... oh my!

Hey all...

gonna be ordering my 11 GT on Monday!! I'm so pumped but I haven't been able to decide on a few things. Here's what I want for sure.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
401A Package
Brembo Brake Package
3.73 gears
Security Package.. what exactly is the difference with the Anti theft?
Window Louvers

I don't know if I like the hood scoop and I heard its hard to see over. I'm only 5'3" so I don't need it to be any harder if possible. And I think I like the side scoops but I've only see one picture of a stang that actually had them. Anybody have any pictures to post of their cars with the hood scoop or side scoops? Also what's so great about HIDs? I feel like I blind people with them!

Also for the 401A interior.. does the Mustang near the floor panel of the door glow or is it just colored? And is the dash just a darker color than 400A? Thanks all! I can't wait!
Old 5/26/10, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good for you! Now, here's where I try to answer things:

The car has standard security features like you'd expect in a car these days, and Ford's key feature that requires a specific code on the key for it to actually start the engine. The Security Package adds an Active Anti-Theft element in the form of what Hollywood has you expecting from car alarms, it's got tilt sensors and motion sensors on the inside that will make the car freak out with light and noise if anyone so much as touches it funny or sticks their hand in a window. You also get the wheel locking kit should you choose to clamp it on. These are basically special lug nuts with key insertion required to get them off the wheel in order to help deter thieves from putting your car on blocks.

HIDs are apparently high theft risk, probably pretty easy to yank out of cars and sell at a mark up, thus why the Security Package is required for them. HIDs are brighter and give the car a different look, some like it, some hate it. In theory the brighter lights helps safety because you can see more. Some people have mentioned they get flashed because they're so bright, I don't know how it is though with the Mustang's HIDs, but could be the same in some areas.

As for the door sills, this is something I'm curious about as well. I know if you get the special neat ones they glow, and I think they glow in whatever color you set MyColor to, but I really don't know much about them, or even how you get them. I just know I like them.
Old 5/26/10, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

https://themustangsource.com/gallery...?i=30374&c=915

that pic makes me thinks it lights up.

Also does 401A have a different shift **** than 400A?
Old 5/26/10, 06:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not my car but has the hood scoop and side scoops. I took some pics of a few. I like the silver.
Attached Images         

Last edited by 2005GTDELUXE; 5/26/10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 06:07 PM
GT Member

With a premium package you get illuminated door sills standard. You can change the color of the glow by changing your mycolor settings.
Old 5/26/10, 06:39 PM
GTR Member

Get a pillow to sit on so you can see over the hood scoop...
Old 5/26/10, 08:57 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I sat in a 2010 G.T. several months ago that had the factory hood scoop. I'm 5'9", i didn't try to raise up the seat but the scoop did block my view when looking to the right pretty bad.
Old 5/26/10, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah hood scoop is definitely out for me... still pondering side scoops. They kinda look good and then I feel like they kinda throw off the flow of the car. Hmmmm
Old 5/26/10, 09:02 PM
Cobra R Member

I thought I read that if you get side scoops they put holes in the quarter panel. Meaning, you can't easily remove them without having to patch the holes. If you are on the fence about the side scoops my advise would be to not get them. Fake scoops are lame anyway.
Old 5/26/10, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the plastic add-ons really cheapen such a classy and refined car.
Old 5/26/10, 09:46 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by David Young
I sat in a 2010 G.T. several months ago that had the factory hood scoop. I'm 5'9", i didn't try to raise up the seat but the scoop did block my view when looking to the right pretty bad.
Originally Posted by csledd
Yeah hood scoop is definitely out for me...
Nah, the Mustang scoop is nothing.

Back in about 1983 I built a 455 pontiac motor for a guy and strapped a 6-71 supercharger on it and bolted the whole works into a 1975 Trans Am, now that is something to try to see over and around!
Old 5/26/10, 09:49 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by monkeystash
That stuff is part of the Mustangs heritage, there have been plastic(fiberglass) hood scoops and side scoops, wings and spoilers, almost since the first one rolled off the line back in the sixties.
Old 5/27/10, 12:00 AM
V6 Member

Go for the HIDs if you need the light but please don't tack on fake hood scoops and side scoops...not worthy for 412 horsepower!
Old 5/27/10, 08:38 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I love the H.I.D's on my V-6. No one has ever flashed me so far. I think the people who install aftermarket H.I.D.'s on their cars just don't have the alignment right.
Old 5/27/10, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by csledd
Hey all...

gonna be ordering my 11 GT on Monday!! I'm so pumped but I haven't been able to decide on a few things. Here's what I want for sure.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
401A Package
Brembo Brake Package
3.73 gears
Security Package.. what exactly is the difference with the Anti theft?
Window Louvers

I don't know if I like the hood scoop and I heard its hard to see over. I'm only 5'3" so I don't need it to be any harder if possible. And I think I like the side scoops but I've only see one picture of a stang that actually had them. Anybody have any pictures to post of their cars with the hood scoop or side scoops? Also what's so great about HIDs? I feel like I blind people with them!

Also for the 401A interior.. does the Mustang near the floor panel of the door glow or is it just colored? And is the dash just a darker color than 400A? Thanks all! I can't wait!
If I were you, I would not get the hood scoop or side scoops. IMO, they really cheapen the car. Do get the security package, and do get the HID head lamps. I didn't know how great they were until I got them on my Flex. I could not believe the difference. I used to have eye strain when driving at night, not anymore. And flipping on the "high beams" turns night into day- seriously.

Just my $.02
Old 5/27/10, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I got the hood and side scoops on my `11 and I'm glad I did. Just gives it a different look from the rest of them out there, and that's what I like.

The hood scoop will blend in a bit more once I get the car striped in a few months and the side scoops are barely noticeable, but I like them.

To each his own.
Old 5/27/10, 09:01 AM
Cobra R Member

The stock hood is beautiful. Tacking on the fake hood scoop ruins it IMO.
Old 5/27/10, 09:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I don't like the hood scoop but I test drove a 2010 with that accessory package and it had 20" Bullitt style wheels and I had to say it all matched the overall look of the car. I didn't really have any problems seeing over the hood scoop (I'm 5'8") it just reminded me of old muscle car hoods.

I really like the power dome hood though. As for the louvers, my wife seems to like them but I like the GT500 style but I also know they are not functioning as brake ducts and so just makes it a random add on. I suppose it just depends on the look you are going for overall.

Oh, and the Premier addition to the Premium package does add the aluminum bullitt shift ****, dark aluminum trim, leather trimmed and baseball stitched door panels with chrome pony logo. Along with the charcoal black with striped (cashmire/grabber blue) or brick red with cashmire stripe (steering wheel included) interior. I didn't realize they were standardizing the illuminated door sills, that makes my day. The darker aluminum interior does look a bit more presigious as well as the pony logo leather insert doors. The seats are the only thing I wish were more of a drastic change but they look good and the leather is great.

Last edited by Automagically; 5/27/10 at 09:11 AM.
Old 5/27/10, 09:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by monkeystash
Amen, stay away from any fake scoops. We know they are fake so you aren't foolin anyone!
Old 5/27/10, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam2004
The stock hood is beautiful. Tacking on the fake hood scoop ruins it IMO.
I agree 100%. The stock hood on the 2010-11 is the most beautiful hood the Mustang has ever had, in my view. To add a hood scoop is a desecration.

Quick Reply: Hood Scoops, Side Scoops, HIDs... oh my!