2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

the good old argument about oil change

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/14 | 11:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Big ol fat women still chewin the fat about nothin. Just gossip. Then they start over at the beginning and chew it all over again. And a few of them will camp out on this thread for days - just like the last oil thread.
Bet not one of the gossip gang even knows how to use a wrench...
Whats a wrench? Lol
Old 1/28/14 | 12:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Must. Not. Jump. Into. Another. Oil. Thread. If all these posters didn't seem so honest, I'd think we had all sorts of trolls doing this for fun. Instead, I'm going to chalk it up to people not using the Search function, so I'll summarize it: Use the oil life monitor and you'll be fine, in terms of distance between oil changes. It's calibrated for semi-synthetic oil that generally lasts 7,500 to 10,000 miles. So, if you use full synthetic, you're good for at least that range or more. I've had my oil analyzed by Blackstone and it had plenty of life at 7,500 miles. As far as filters, use a high-quality filter like Motorcraft, K&N, Napa Gold, Purolator PureOne, or Mobil 1 and you'll be fine. And as far as weight, Ford's not in the business of making motors that expire just past the powertrain warranty period. 5W-20 has been spec oil in Mazdas, Fords, Hondas, Chryslers and more for 10+ years so there's no issue using it. 5W-30 is probably fine too, if you're still not sure.
Kyle... You were doing SO good, then you fell prey to another thread prompted by a user's inability to use the search function, made worse by people who spout off here thinking they know all there is about oil...

Shame.

Haha, kidding Kyle. Trust me, the many things I want to say about this thread...

Big ol fat women still chewin the fat about nothin. Just gossip. Then they start over at the beginning and chew it all over again. And a few of them will camp out on this thread for days - just like the last oil thread. Bet not one of the gossip gang even knows how to use a wrench...
Yep. This thread is once again going to be useful and useless at the same time. I hope mods step in soon to stop the garbage that's already been spewed.
Old 1/28/14 | 12:21 PM
Banned

I was gonna go with Vegetable oil, but then I read that Canola has higher burning point. Higher burning point = better protection
Old 1/28/14 | 12:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

Kyle... You were doing SO good, then you fell prey to another thread prompted by a user's inability to use the search function, made worse by people who spout off here thinking they know all there is about oil...

Shame.

Haha, kidding Kyle. Trust me, the many things I want to say about this thread...

Yep. This thread is once again going to be useful and useless at the same time. I hope mods step in soon to stop the garbage that's already been spewed.
Why would the mods step in. Nobody here has been disrespectful. Nobody is fighting about anything. Nobody is threatening bodily harm. Lol. Were just having a nice debate about the OP's question. No big deal. Many people have their own opinions and believe their correct. If someone uses 5W 20 then rock out. If someone wants too use a hair thicker oil as 5W 30 then rock out. By using 5W 30 oil the engine will not explode so if it does provide a slight better protection then what's the harm? If 5W 30 oil doesn't provide any better protection then what's the harm? Either way no harm in using 5W 30 oil for our cars.

I have been using 5W 30 oil in my wife's mini van for 9 years, 118,000 miles and never a days issue, however the cap reads 5W 20.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/28/14 at 12:47 PM.
Old 1/28/14 | 02:04 PM
Cobra Member

Yes, FromZto5, there's a search function, but it will not provide the documented proof that any sort of damage will occur with 5w-30, which is one of the questions that have been brought up here. I'm interested (still) in that.

If this bothers some, move along. Nothing for you to see here. No need for those to post.

I can read past what some consider "spewed", and hope some answers are provided (documented).

After all, it was a long, long, long time before the Harley owners would accept synthetic oils in their bikes. Even Harley would "spew" that synthetics were not recommended for their bikes.

Then they started selling synthetic "Harley branded" oil. Funny.

Last edited by Bucko; 1/28/14 at 02:14 PM.
Old 1/28/14 | 03:18 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Bucko
Yes, FromZto5, there's a search function, but it will not provide the documented proof that any sort of damage will occur with 5w-30, which is one of the questions that have been brought up here. I'm interested (still) in that. If this bothers some, move along. Nothing for you to see here. No need for those to post. I can read past what some consider "spewed", and hope some answers are provided (documented). After all, it was a long, long, long time before the Harley owners would accept synthetic oils in their bikes. Even Harley would "spew" that synthetics were not recommended for their bikes. Then they started selling synthetic "Harley branded" oil. Funny.
To your point, I am not sure if this thread, or any other, for that matter will ever have documented proof that 5w30 will/may damage the stock coyote engine. If it does turn up, great... Meanwhile, I think the fact that you have those miles racked up with no issues is "documented proof" enough. Don't you think? I believe ya

Ps how are those gt500 muffs? Still good? Been over a year now since we exchanged?
Old 1/28/14 | 03:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

To your point, I am not sure if this thread, or any other, for that matter will ever have documented proof that 5w30 will/may damage the stock coyote engine. If it does turn up, great... Meanwhile, I think the fact that you have those miles racked up with no issues is "documented proof" enough. Don't you think? I believe ya

Ps how are those gt500 muffs? Still good? Been over a year now since we exchanged?
Has there been any proof or claims that using 5W 30 causes damage to an engine that calls for 5W 20 oil.
Old 1/28/14 | 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by lakersfreak
I've got 4,000 mile and will be changing my oil at 5,000 and go every 5,000 thereafter. I am sticking with Mobile 1 5W-30 (not 5W-20 as Ford suggests).

Any objections?
Trolling..................
Old 1/28/14 | 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
May I just say how much I admire a person who reads some stuff on the internet and suddenly believes they are the expert on the subject. I've had my oil tested by Blackstone. With 9,878 miles on the oil Blackstone told me it was good for another 4,000 miles at least, and that the oil indicated BELOW AVERAGE engine wear. I don't suppose you've actually had your oil tested by a proper lab before, have you?
I've had my oil tested on all of my cars twice a year for the last 10 years. I'll tell you what I don't admire. Your attitude. You have no clue who I am or what my "car resume" looks like.

Good for you. Your oil would have been good for almost 14k miles. Want a prize? Does it make you special because you tested your oil? The fact is that there are numerous variables to your statement. What oil was used, driving habits, climate, etc. Coming on here and make a statement like you made is poor form. You can't make arbitrary recommendations on the internet. What if the OP went 14k because YOU said it was ok and killed his motor?

Sure I've read the stuff on forums. But I take it and form my own opinion that comes from over 15 years in the auto sales and mechanic industry.

So just because I explain an couple of things that are completely accurate and truthful, you definitively determine that I must be some know nothing a hole that thinks he's an expert from reading forums?

Well based on that deduction I'll go ahead and assume that you're a 16 yr old brat that doesn't know a wrench from a lug nut. I don't suppose you've actually re-built a motor before, have you?
Old 1/28/14 | 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
5W 30 will do perfect and in fact that is what the same Ford vehicles in Europe as we have here in US use 5W30 not 5W 20. The 5w20 is for emissions and CAFE regulations here in the US and not whats the better protection for ones engine. Sure, 5W 20 is not going to blow your engine up, however ones engine wear will be greatly reduced after years and years by not using 5W30 weight thus engine life will be greatly reduced.
Careful Kona, you might be accused of being dumb and simply regurgitating forum info you read with comments like that. Since, you know, no one except people who test their oil at Blackstone are able to know what their talking about.
Old 1/28/14 | 05:22 PM
Cobra Member

Yet another hack spouting "bob" bull****. If that is true, and Ford risks all engine longevity for normal drivers for a measly 1 or 2 mpg's, then why didn't they also change from 5w30 to 5w20 on the 4.0 sixer? Lord knows they needed to up the mileage on that engine. I've asked the same question as to why Chrysler didn't change from 5w-30 to 5w-20 on its 2.4L if it worked for Ford, if in fact they could simply do that for a CAFE average improvement. Lord knows they needed to up the mileage on that engine. But never a knowledgeable response. Never a peep out of an engineer. Never a comment about hydraulic action in a variable OHC engine. Only internet bull crap. You clowns are so boring. Use what you like because that's what you like, or because your "gut" informs you so much about the internals of a modern engine, but you can stuff your "Ford did it for CAFE".
Exactly the type of garbage I was trying to avoid. I bet you have a zombie plan. All these looney toones these days with their conspiracy theories. Sorry you feel that Ford walks on water and that simpleton logic like "why doesn't Chrysler do it?" makes you right. But the CAFE req is very real and the only reason 5-20 is what's on the cap.
Old 1/28/14 | 05:29 PM
Cobra Member

No way I'm using 5w 20. 5W 30 all the way. Its not going too hurt anything so what's the downside to using 5W 30. What's going to happen to the engine?
Agreed. 5-30 has a much broader rage for heat resistance. Universally, on any car, 5-30 will be excellent. We know that the motor can run 5-20 and we know it can run 5-50. 5-30 is a good middle ground. Better mpgs vs 5-50 and better protection vs 5-20. This is indisputable from oil tests. Not sure why people make a big deal about it.

Running either 20 or 30 I'm sure will give years and years to your motor. Even to the point where if the motor running 5-30 dies at 300,000 miles and the 5-20 does at 290,000, was oil the reason for the extra 10,000 miles? Who knows (and who cares with that milage lol). IMO I like the piece of mind knowing that 5-30 offers more protection.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/28/14 at 05:45 PM.
Old 1/28/14 | 05:54 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by typesredline
Exactly the type of garbage I was trying to avoid. I bet you have a zombie plan. All these looney toones these days with their conspiracy theories. Sorry you feel that Ford walks on water and that simpleton logic like "why doesn't Chrysler do it?" makes you right. But the CAFE req is very real and the only reason 5-20 is what's on the cap.
You're the one claiming its a Ford conspiracy - a trick - oh wise one.
And the question is reasonable - if your lie is correct, every company in the industry would jump and make the switch for owners that drive under 'normal' conditions. And Ford would have also changed it on the 4.0 for Mustang and F150 because that sixer mileage sucks.
But as usual, you - like the other liars - provide zero proof. Just internet "facts" from self proclaimed internet "experts".

Use what you want to use. But keep your lies about Ford off the forum.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/28/14 at 06:00 PM.
Old 1/28/14 | 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

You're the one claiming its a Ford conspiracy - a trick - oh wise one. And the question is reasonable - if your lie is correct, every company in the industry would jump and make the switch for owners that drive under 'normal' conditions. But as usual, you - like the other liars - provide zero proof. Just internet "fact's" from self proclaimed internet "experts". Use what you want to use. But keep your lies about Ford off the forum.
"Oh wise one" ??? Lies ???

What makes you correct vs me? Why am I a "liar"? Because I've analyzed around 50 personal oil tests and repaired numerous motors, so I've seen first hand the internals with various oil weights and driving habits. That means that I'm wrong? I never said Ford is scamming anyone or being sneaky. I simply said that their recommendation is motivated primarily from CAFE. Where is your proof that this is not the case? Maybe you're the liar?

Since there is no concrete evidence (to your standards anyway) for either side, it's basically called an opinion dude. But if you want to be closed minded and arrogant feel free.

Just don't tell me what I can or can not speak publicly about on a public forum. And next time I'll try to be more sensitive toward you and your intimate relationship with Ford. Lmao!!!
Old 1/28/14 | 06:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by typesredline

Agreed. 5-30 has a much broader rage for heat resistance. Universally, on any car, 5-30 will be excellent. We know that the motor can run 5-20 and we know it can run 5-50. 5-30 is a good middle ground. Better mpgs vs 5-50 and better protection vs 5-20. This is indisputable from oil tests. Not sure why people make a big deal about it.

Running either 20 or 30 I'm sure will give years and years to your motor. Even to the point where if the motor running 5-30 dies at 300,000 miles and the 5-20 does at 290,000, was oil the reason for the extra 10,000 miles? Who knows (and who cares with that milage lol). IMO I like the piece of mind knowing that 5-30 offers more protection.
I'm with you bro. Based upon speaking with numerous mechanics and extensive research on oil topics my decision was 5W 30. I'm not saying 5W 20 is bad but think 5W 30 provides better protection too the engine. I don't see the downside in using 5W 30 weight. Somebody please explain why not too use 5W 30 weight and what damage is it going too cause.

The way I see it, its possible extra protection for your engine life and wear and if its no better than 5W 20 , then you have nothing too lose. Both weights cost the same so why not use 5W 30 weight.
Old 1/28/14 | 06:33 PM
Cobra Member

Nothing like another 'which oil' thread to start another silly pissing contest. Keep calm and eat bacon.
Old 1/28/14 | 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Nothing like another 'which oil' thread to start another silly pissing contest. Keep calm and eat bacon.
Mmmm bacon
Old 1/28/14 | 07:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
I love Bacon
Old 1/28/14 | 08:57 PM
I Have No Life

I love Bacon

And you wanna know "why" I predicted the mods would jump in? Experience my friend... Experience. Once a question like this topic has been asked, there's too many attitudes and egos that no one can't go pissed.

Last edited by FromZto5; 1/28/14 at 08:59 PM.
Old 1/28/14 | 09:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

And you wanna know "why" I predicted the mods would jump in? Experience my friend... Experience. Once a question like this topic has been asked, there's too many attitudes and egos that no one can't go pissed.
I hear ya on that but I don't think anyone is upset or pissed off. Perhaps there will never be a solid factual answer. I've read articles that claim using 5W 20 can and will shorten ones engine life and cause more wear on it opposed to using 5W 30. Now, is that true? I have no idea, however after speaking with numerous people in the automotive field and extensive research I believe 5W 30 oils do a better job providing protection to ones engine.

Whats the harm in using 5W 30 oil? What damage is it going to cause except make the engine wear better and last long

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/28/14 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: the good old argument about oil change