2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Glass Roof and Hail

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/10 | 01:57 PM
GT Member

Just imagine, softball sized uber dense hail. After three or four hits, the roof caves in, then you can hope for that lightening strike to finish you off. No place to hide! Probably a good idea to join a medieval recreation group and carry a few shields in the car just in case.
Old 4/27/10 | 02:06 PM
GT Member

I guess another OCD way I think a glass roof would be an advantage is: suppose you take it to the track, or are in really bad rainy weather, and happen to flip the car over- lets suppose.

if you're in a glass roof car, and stuck on the side and the car is on fire, and the glass is broken through -- You may have a snowballs chance to get out the top of the car!

In a metal car, you may not have that option--

Another scenerio would be that you flip the car over in a drag race down the strip and somehow the glass breaks and ends up in the side of your neck, or head... that would suck

Or, a realistic situation is- your warranty is up, and one day you get in your car and get caught in a massive downpour- and notice water dripping from somewhere down onto your seats... what the..!

But the glass roof cars, are still nice in my opinion. My wife wants it. Says it gives the car a more open feel to it. We looked at it- and it seemed nice.

I want one, I dont want one, I want one, I dont want one...
Old 4/27/10 | 02:09 PM
Post *****

Thank goodness for overpasses!
Old 4/27/10 | 02:13 PM
GT Member

Another reason to not want a glass roof. It's too important to have stripes go all the way from front to back.

I suppose you could put stripes on the glass. Might help hold it together a bit more.
Old 4/27/10 | 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
I would be really scared if it's lightning out and in a glass roof car! I live in Florida, and there's lots of Lightning down here.

I dont want a Lightning Bolt going through my glass roof and hitting me, my wife, and children in the head...

At least, with metal roof above me- I feel somewhat safer. Oh, I dont want hail snowballs going through it either! Yikes!
Excellent! The fears keep getting more irrational!

Glass is an insulator. Lightning will not hit the glass roof, and it sure as **** will not go through it and kill you. There is a bigger chance of a martian UFO landing on your car. Which I would not be the slightest bit surprised to see you also believe could happen.

Hail that is big and powerful enough to go through the glass roof is going to be powerful enough to go through the metal roof as well. The glass roof is tempered, laminated safety glass that is quite thick. It is as strong, if not stronger, than a windshield, since optical clarity is not as much of a concern. If a piece of hail is strong enough to shatter the glass, it will get caught in the laminate, and you might get showered with DULL chunks of glass from the other side, but it will not go through.

And, if the hail is strong enough to be shattering your glass roof, frankly, you have much bigger problems than a shattered glass roof.

Use common sense, people. It isn't that hard.
Old 4/27/10 | 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
So you're saying that I don't have to worry about the Texas sun melting the glass and that dripping glass burning my skin off?
Old 4/27/10 | 03:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Let's hope no one tries to tie a mattress and box spring on their convertible!
How else can you protect the roof from hail?
Old 4/27/10 | 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18

Glass is an insulator. Lightning will not hit the glass roof, and it sure as **** will not go through it and kill you. There is a bigger chance of a martian UFO landing on your car. Which I would not be the slightest bit surprised to see you also believe could happen.

Hail that is big and powerful enough to go through the glass roof is going to be powerful enough to go through the metal roof as well. The glass roof is tempered, laminated safety glass that is quite thick. It is as strong, if not stronger, than a windshield, since optical clarity is not as much of a concern. If a piece of hail is strong enough to shatter the glass, it will get caught in the laminate, and you might get showered with DULL chunks of glass from the other side, but it will not go through.

And, if the hail is strong enough to be shattering your glass roof, frankly, you have much bigger problems than a shattered glass roof.

Use common sense, people. It isn't that hard.
I think ipodintampa was joking...I hope
Old 4/27/10 | 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rob89-94-11?
How else can you protect the roof from hail?
I plan on installing a miniaturized version of an anti-missile defense system on my roof. That way I'm also protected from the Russkies. And hungry vultures.
Old 4/27/10 | 08:09 PM
GTR Member

SHEESH!

What a ridiculous thread...

You guys know that this isn't Fords first go-round with a glass roof car, right?

They had them back in the late fifties originally.
Old 4/27/10 | 11:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Technically, yes. But the hail will hit the windshield at a deflected angle whereas with the glass roof it will land at a perpendicular angle. More force on the glass roof for the same size hail. Assuming the car is sitting still, of course. Once the car is moving the equation changes a bit.
if there happens to be no wind and you are just sitting not driving in your car in a hail storm?

all this talk about hail, my issue here would be heat, 120+ and a glass roof....
Old 4/27/10 | 11:45 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
We had a couple hailstorms last year. One of my customers owns a Scion tc with a glass roof had hail damage across the rest of the body(some baseball sized dents) but the glass roof was fine.
Sounds like a I need a glass Mustang.
Old 4/28/10 | 01:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
I have hail protection on my car.

Its called a garage...
mines called a 91 taurus...just runs and runs,and i don't worry about anything!