2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Car and Driver Lighting Lap 2015 results (GT and Ecoboost)

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/15, 05:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car and Driver Lighting Lap 2015 results (GT and Ecoboost)

I was going to try to mirror the scans of the pages here but this forum's "image upload from URL" just isn't cooperating for me.

One of the good folks over at my other internet forum haunt (www.miata.net) was kind enough to post up the goods...here's a link to that thread:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=588539

The main take-aways from this year's event: holy hell, the Z06 is a true hero car...I'm not a Chevy guy (though brand loyalties are silly anyway, IMO)...but I have to bow down to the bow tie on this one. I actually cheered when I saw the results.

The Ecoboost apparently disappointed with the power delivery. They figured out how to get the most out of it and complimented the handling...still finished behind the Mini Cooper JCW

The GT PP fared well! Over 3 seconds quicker than the 2011 GT (a BIG improvement), attributed to being quicker pretty much everywhere on the track thanks to the much more stable chassis.
Old 9/8/15, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes...my issue arrived over the weekend and I was very mad reading that article, so much so that I flipped the magazine the middle finger. They made it sound like the Corvette just killed the supercars by a large margin, but when comparing straight lap time it finished 1.1 second faster than the McLaren. Big whoop. The corvette won because its handling and braking were much better though, and on a car costing 200K less. If the Corvette wasn't so fugly (IMO), it would get my cash (if I had that much cash) because it is very competent on the track. But looks wise the McLaren is just so much better...again my opinion. But if my ship came in financially (so to speak) and there was a McLaren and Corvette sitting on the lot I would take the McLaren every single time despite being more expensive (a lot) because the build quality and the exclusivity of it is just so much more desirable.

My take away from the article was that the Nurburgring now has a speed limit, making lap testing a thing of the past? Perhaps not to auto manufacturers though? Article didn't clarify, and they only mentioned it as an afterthought.

Oh, and hey some mustangs had some decent lap times too.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 9/9/15 at 11:33 AM.
Old 9/13/15, 10:28 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Interesting to note that the 2011 V6 Mustang was faster than the New Ecoboost Mustang by about 3 seconds - 3:15.6 vs. 3:12.5

If the GT350-R is faster than the Z/28 that'll put it below the 2:51 mark for the Lightning Lap (Z/28 is 2:50.9) and if Ford was serious about it being faster than the GT3 then that'll be around the 2:50.4 mark

The Camaro SS 1LE posted a 3:01.5 lap time and the 2016 SS is said to be faster than the 1LE. Could GM's standard V8 Camaro break into the 2:59 or faster zone? The AST-V did and the SS will be more or less a poor man's version of the ATS-V.

The Mustang GT faired pretty well but was slower the Boss LS by about 3 seconds and its too bad C&D didn't list a standard Boss 302 for comparison to the new GT as Ford has said the PP GT is faster than the Boss 302.

IMO the Mustang's 3:05 lap time underscores the need for a "track pack" that will put it closer to or better than the 1LE times which would be challenging since the 1LE runs a very sticky 285mm width tire at all four corners and the Mustang seems to be limited in that category due to clearance as it seems a 19x9 is the widest rim Ford will put on the front with the standard suspension and fender design.
Old 9/15/15, 07:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
"The Ecoboost apparently disappointed with the power delivery. They figured out how to get the most out of it and complimented the handling...still finished behind the Mini Cooper JCW "

I read this article as well as another and no where did either writer mention using the Mode toggle. I wonder if the they even realized they were there. Using Sport and or Track would surely have made a difference. I have been on two lane twisties and switched to Sport Mode with the toggle and immediately watched the engine change on the tach. The car is much more responsive, and aggressive.
Old 9/16/15, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
"The Ecoboost apparently disappointed with the power delivery. They figured out how to get the most out of it and complimented the handling...still finished behind the Mini Cooper JCW "

I read this article as well as another and no where did either writer mention using the Mode toggle. I wonder if the they even realized they were there. Using Sport and or Track would surely have made a difference. I have been on two lane twisties and switched to Sport Mode with the toggle and immediately watched the engine change on the tach. The car is much more responsive, and aggressive.
I think it changes immediately in your car because it downshifts when you enter sport mode. (I just test drove the auto and saw the same thing). I'm sure they had a manual. The modes don't cause the car to make any more power, they just adjust throttle mapping so you get more power with less pedal travel in sport or track mode and less power with more pedal travel in wet mode. They also adjust when the traction and stability systems intervene. I'm sure they are fully aware of the modes, along with how to disable the traction and stability control. These are hardcore car guys (and girls). I expect they push every button on every car they get in just to see what happens.

I'm convinced they weren't seeing boost because they were racing a factory turbo on a 100 degree day (this was mentioned in the Corvette section of the article). The computer was pulling boost to prevent knock. I bet they gain several seconds if they give it a second chance on a cooler day.