Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Cataract surgery

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/15, 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Cataract surgery

My vision while driving had been getting wonky so I went in for an eye exam. I knew I had been developing cataracts and suspected that was the problem. It was explained to me that cataracts sometimes develop crystals and the ones in my right eye had developed right in the line of sight. So I decided to have cataract surgery.

Typically one eye is done at a time with a couple of weeks between surgeries. A tiny incision is made, the birth lens and cataract are emulsified and 'vacuumed' out through the incision. An artificial lens (about the diameter of a pencil eraser) is folded and inserted and unfolds into place. It is possible to have lenses that are like bifocals, but they are very costly. I chose to have monofocal lenses for distance so I would not have to wear glasses while driving. The new lens does not change so, barring other problems with your eyes, you vision never changes again.

My right eye was done yesterday morning. It takes WAY longer for them to prep you than it does for the surgery. Your pupil gets seriously dilated and some other drops make it so that you don't even feel pressure. The surgery took less than 15 minutes and I was on my way home, with Mel driving of course. My vision remained blurry through the day but it was improving by bedtime. This morning it was fine. My pupil is still not fully constricted but probably will be by tomorrow morning.

I drove to my follow up appointment this morning and had no trouble with my vision. The good news is that I could read the instruments with my right eye without glasses. There was minor residual swelling this morning but that will dissipate readily. Everything else looked fine and distance vision in my right eye is now 20/20. On 10/8 I'll have the left eye done and I'll be a 75 year old with the distance vision of a 25 year old. I'll need reading glasses for books and menus, but that is trivial.

The surgery truly is a non-event. I hope this was informative for any of you facing that decision.
Old 9/23/15, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad always told me, "If you have to have something wrong with your eyes, let it be cataracts: The cure is no pain, no strain, and the outcome is almost always excellent." Congratulations on your (or your Dr's.) success, Tom; I expect you'll be going in to have the other eye done as well? If so, I hope you get the same good results.
Old 9/23/15, 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks, Mick. I am certain I will have 20/20 in both eyes and no longer have to wear glasses while driving. What a relief.
Old 9/24/15, 10:44 AM
V6 Member

I'm getting mine done 9/29 and 10/8. Glad to hear all went well. I'm a little apprehensive still, but hearing positive results makes it easier.
So thanks, without even knowing it, you helped someone feel a little easier.
Old 9/24/15, 03:03 PM
Cobra Member

Ralph - That's exactly why I posted this thread. I was a bit freaked out about somebody cutting on my eye, but the incision is so small there are no sutures in the vast majority of cases. I am fortunate that I heal REALLY well and quickly, but I had no pain or even discomfort.

To give you an idea how alert you are during the procedure, the machine that emulsifies your birth lens and cataract makes weird noises. This is, of course, after the incision has been made. I commented to my surgeon that it sounded to me as if it had been composed by a 20th century Russian. He replied that sounded to him more like bad bagpipes. You can carry on a lucid conversation while feeling nothing.

I'm sure you will be happy with the result.
Old 9/24/15, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good luck to you too. Ralph! Might I suggest that your Dr. could fix you up with a Valium to be taken prior to your surgery, just to put a damper on the anxiety? There's a good chance you might not even need one for the second eye!
Old 9/25/15, 01:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
Good luck to you too. Ralph! Might I suggest that your Dr. could fix you up with a Valium to be taken prior to your surgery, just to put a damper on the anxiety? There's a good chance you might not even need one for the second eye!
They already advised me on the Valium.
Like tukatz, I'm real careful when it comes to my eyes, especially someone cutting on them. But hearing from you guys really helps. I'll keep you updated.
Old 9/25/15, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

We look forward to your report, Ralph. My left eye is being done on 10/8 and I can't wait. I removed the right lens from my bifocals so my left eye would still be corrected for driving and watching TV. It looks a bit weird, but it works.
Old 9/25/15, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Yes, necessity is a mother!
Old 9/25/15, 10:07 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
My father is having cataract surgery on October 12th in his "good eye". He has macular degeneration brought about by diabetes and cataracts too. Apparently they can only do his good eye right now and must wait for the other eye to heal from its other treatments.

He goes in every other month for the past few years to get what he calls the needle in the eye to treat the macular degeneration.

He ignored the problem for too long and almost lost his sight. He ignored his diabetes symptoms till it almost killed him and then ignored his eyes till he almost couldn't see.
Old 9/30/15, 10:20 AM
V6 Member

Well, had left eye done yesterday, WOW.I didn't realize how wonked out it was. Looking forward to the next one.
Old 9/30/15, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

Good news, Ralph. I had my 'one week' followup exam this morning and all is well. Just 8 more days till my left gets done.What a difference!
Old 10/3/15, 07:46 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I had my left eye done about 2 years ago (the right eye was fine). No problems with the surgery or vision, but I still wear a contact in the right eye. I opted for the multi-focal lens implant. The doctor said it was a little unusual to have cataracts at age 60, but it turned out OK.

Last edited by ZGrand; 10/3/15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10/9/15, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

I had my second surgery yesterday morning and it was another walk in the park. The blurry vision lasted just a bit longer, but was clear this morning. I drove to my follow-up appointment. I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes and a pair of cheap 2.0 readers from Walgreens work well for both eyes. It's like being 25 again, just with a lot less hair.
Old 10/10/15, 11:15 AM
V6 Member

Glad to hear all went well. Get my right eye done Tuesday. Ditched my glasses, I can't see S*%@ with them.
Old 10/10/15, 11:45 AM
Cobra Member

Medicare provides one pair of glasses after cataract surgery, so I will use existing frames and get a pair of reading glasses that will be durable and comfortable. If it is cheap enough I'll have a second pair made that I can take when away from home. If not, I'll stick with the cheap readers I recently bought. They may not hold up as well but only cost about $12.
Old 10/12/15, 08:46 AM
V6 Member

Get my right eye done tomorrow. Medicare will cover my scipt, but may opt for buying some at the 1hr place, less than $100. Got orientation on Monday the 26th.
Old 10/12/15, 09:39 AM
Cobra Member

Good news, Ralph. The result is amazing. I'll just be glad when I am through with the eye drops. They're kind of a nuisance and go on for four weeks for each eye. I'm going to use my own frames because medicare just covers cheap frames and I know mine are comfortable.
Old 10/18/15, 09:43 AM
V6 Member

Had my right eye done on Tuesday, and everything went great. I had the dropless procedure. Now just waiting for my new script.
Old 10/18/15, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rocket7888
Had my right eye done on Tuesday, and everything went great. I had the dropless procedure. Now just waiting for my new script.
Good news, Ralph. Now you just have several weeks of eye drops. I'm almost done with drops for my right eye. I'm being a good boy, but the temptation is pretty strong to just chuck the drops.

Quick Reply: Cataract surgery