2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Does the stock alarm/anti-theft enough?

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/10 | 07:37 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by John H
To get things back on track a tad for the O.P.:

While I have no experience with the alarm on the 2010+ Mustangs, I can tell you we have the active system on our 2008 and it works well. A little too well, perhaps.

This past summer, I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise and parked at Mustang Alley. I left the windows down, but locked the doors because I wanted the alarm activated since I had some camera equipment in the trunk. My dad and I walked around for an hour or two and came back to the car to get some drinks out of the cooler. Upon opening my trunk, a guy approached me (in a very polite way) and said the alarm kept going off like crazy whenever people were walking along the sides of my car to look inside. I felt terrible that people had to put up with that so I just left the car unlocked when we went back out walking around. Seemed like some good people in the areas around my car so I felt comfortable enough that nobody would mess with anything.

My point? If the current factory alarm works at least as well as mine, it will work well. If Ford somehow tweaked the sensitivity of the motion sensors, it will work even better!
When I park my car with the top down, it's not possible to arm the in-car alarm for the same (obvious) reason. However, merely locking the doors with the key fob still activates the alarm, minus the motion sensors. If someone tries to open a door or the trunk, the alarm goes off. It's not full protection, but it is a nice compromise.
Old 5/2/10 | 07:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by John H
....If the current factory alarm works at least as well as mine, it will work well. If Ford somehow tweaked the sensitivity of the motion sensors, it will work even better!
I think many future owners don't realize that the chipped key makes it really difficult for anyone to steal your car unless they have your key. Add the alarm and you've got an effective anti-theft system.

Oh, you can always just lock the car with the key. It wont be protected by the active alarm, but the driver still needs your keys to start the car. I do this to save on battery use.
Old 5/2/10 | 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
What you really need is the trunk monkey theft retrieval system. Problem solved.

demo here.
Heading to the pets shop right now !!
Old 2/5/11 | 07:23 AM
V6 Member

I'm only familar with my 2 honda accords.
My wife's had an alarm installed by the dealer for 650 and that thing goes off all the time especially at the shop! I didn't know about the valet switch until recently
Mine has the active device which I like, it only goes off if i reach in through the window and open the door. and I get my active/passive discount.
With the sensitivity of her factory alarm from 2004 I thought maybe it would be best to go to car stereo shop and buy an aftermarket instead of getting the 2012 security package. (and also pick up some wheel locks)
not sure about the rear sensing or the hid yet ...
But I'm looking at my Geico discounts now and it is only about 18 bucks a year on each car (comp only) My wife gets an extra 4 bucks a year discount for her alarm
Old 2/6/11 | 12:33 AM
V6 Member

I've always hated car alarms, and then my thoughts were backed up by fact. I have a 2000 jetta that has a stock alarm, well it's wiring is messed up, so occasionally the alarm will go off just as I open the door, other times when I start it, just like I'm stealing it..... How many times has anyone even given me a second look, NEVER, I've done it in front of cops even, nothing. The first few times I really thought things would go sideways at some point, that someone would take notice, nope. Yeah my mustang doesn't have a car alarm, I didn't want it bad enough I didn't get the Hids I did want because I would be stuck with the god forsaken car alarm. BTW, I've had a honda civic broken in to twice, which btw are the easiest cars to break in to made in the last 15 years, and I still don't want a **** alarm, not worth the trouble.
Old 2/6/11 | 05:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anybody attempt to install this...?

http://www.partscheap.com/2010-Ford-...361-aa-m10.htm
Old 2/10/11 | 01:07 PM
V6 Member

rather than theft i'd be more concerned with parking lot hit and runs. maybe an loud alarm might help.
Old 2/11/11 | 05:05 AM
GT Member

Since I was using my X-Plan, I got 1/2 off LoJack and picked it up for $350. I thought it was a good deal.
Old 2/15/11 | 10:41 AM
V6 Member

i think the club works better as a club...keep it next to your seat and beat the guy in the head if he tries to hijack your car with you in it...sounds funny..but actually this happened to me once..some lunatic threw his bike at my car then ripped open my door and started punching me in the head trying to drag me out of the car. there were people nearby so i just took it and eventually someone stepped in to stop him.

Last edited by knightrdrx; 2/15/11 at 10:44 AM. Reason: addition