2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Does the stock alarm/anti-theft enough?

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/10 | 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Does the stock alarm/anti-theft enough?

Hi Guys,

Do you feel the stock alarm system on the Mustang 2010-2011 is up to the task, or a 3rd party device should be added?

If so, any recommendation?

Thx !
Old 4/30/10 | 12:30 PM
GTR Member

Haven't seen all the functionality of the OEM alarm but it is my understanding that it is supposed to be more sophisticated than previous alarms and supposed to have interior sensors and such.
Old 4/30/10 | 12:34 PM

Yea you can't stick you hand in through an open window without setting off the alarm on my 2010. I also tested it by locking the door with my 5yr old son in the back seat and him just moving arround set the alarm off, so I think it does a good job.

Jake
Old 4/30/10 | 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

How does it work on a vert. does it disable the interior motion sensor when the top is down?
Old 4/30/10 | 12:37 PM
Cobra R Member

I've had an issue with every aftermarket alarm I've ever used. I don't plan to use one. If someone steals my car I'll go through insurance. Electrical gremlins are the worst problems to troubleshoot / diagnose.

Last edited by Adam; 4/30/10 at 12:40 PM.
Old 4/30/10 | 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by maddog69
Yea you can't stick you hand in through an open window without setting off the alarm on my 2010. I also tested it by locking the door with my 5yr old son in the back seat and him just moving arround set the alarm off, so I think it does a good job.

Jake
I can vouch for this from the first time I saw a 2010 in public. I figured I'd go take a look; that was a mistake.
Old 4/30/10 | 12:42 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by RickyD
Hi Guys,

Do you feel the stock alarm system on the Mustang 2010-2011 is up to the task, or a 3rd party device should be added?

Thx !
You're speaking of the "active alarm" right?

Not just the passive alarm/key transducer?
Old 4/30/10 | 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know why you must have the security package to get HIDs? The only thing I can figure is that the lights are tied in?
Old 4/30/10 | 12:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fritzOSU03
Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know why you must have the security package to get HIDs? The only thing I can figure is that the lights are tied in?
HIDs have been a high-demand theft item, so Ford figures (probably for good reason) that if you're going to have them, you're going to need the security system, too. Personally, I wouldn't "save" $400 by leaving out the alarm. That's equivalent to a handful of dinners out with the family. I wouldn't want to risk losing my car because I cheaped out on such a small amount.
Old 4/30/10 | 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't live in the US, nor do I even know anyone who has had their car stolen. Naive or not, isn't that what insurance is for? I'd rather take my family out for dinner. Philosophy aside, I believe the theft risk issue is the reason for tying the HIDs to the security package.
Old 4/30/10 | 01:18 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

the OEM system is as good or better then 3rd party alrams.

However, if they want it bad enough, they WILL take the car.

The fact that its part of the factory wiring harness and installed at the factory rather than by some yahoo who cuts and hacks wiring harness is enough to make it the CLEAR winner vs 3rd party alarms.
Old 4/30/10 | 01:19 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by fritzOSU03
Seems like I read that somewhere...

They're both a no brainer to add IMO. While insurance would cover theft, that doesn't mean they didn't trash your baby (many are recovered). I'd rather deter them on the front end. It also prevents unauthorized tows with a body tilt trigger.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/30/10 at 02:50 PM.
Old 4/30/10 | 01:31 PM
GTR Member

The alarm gets you an extra discount on your insurance too.
Old 4/30/10 | 01:34 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by RickyD
Hi Guys,

Thx !
Richard, the factory security package is very, very good. You should add the Boomerang Espion Alert though. In my case, it more than pays for itself in reduced insurance premiums. Because you're in Montreal, where the port is a short drive away, be sure to get the Espion Alert and not just the Espion system. Espion Alert will automatically start tracking your car if it's moved without the key fob, including if it gets towed. By the way, the system also works in the US, which hasn't always been true the other way around.

Last edited by PTRocks; 4/30/10 at 01:38 PM.
Old 4/30/10 | 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982

A thief with a tow truck could steal cars all day without a second look, even with the alarm going off. Most folks would figure the car had been parked illegally or repossessed. Our only hope is to deter a thief by making our cars more difficult to steal than others.

I've heard before that the most effective anti-theft device is a remote ignition kill switch. The reasoning was / is that you can place the kill switch in a difficult to guess location. A thief will usually leave a car if they can't steal it within a few minutes time. I don't know any car thieves to ask whether this idea has merit.
Old 4/30/10 | 01:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
the OEM system is as good or better then 3rd party alrams.
+1. If I were really concerned, I'd add a locator service like LoJack. Otherwise it's about as good as it gets.

Last edited by WaltM; 4/30/10 at 01:50 PM.
Old 4/30/10 | 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

i saw where a guy wired his remote kill switch in the cig lighter place. he just moved the cig lighter when he got out of the car. pretty neat idea.

how expensive is a system like lojak
Old 4/30/10 | 01:45 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I've heard before that the most effective anti-theft device is a remote ignition kill switch. The reasoning was / is that you can place the kill switch in a difficult to guess location. A thief will usually leave a car if they can't steal it within a few minutes time. I don't know any car thieves to ask whether this idea has merit.
I've thought about that (the opposite of the 'start' button). But wouldn't you have to bypass the entire ignition switch tie in? Or have I watched to many movies where they hotwire at the ignition switch?

Seems like the kill switch would have to be from the ECM or the starter itself.

Course that wouldn't stop the tow boys either way.

You pays your money and you takes your chances I guess.
Old 4/30/10 | 02:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by trick25
how expensive is a system like lojak
http://www.lojack.com/

The kill switch is a neat idea, but whoever starts the car still has to have a way to bypass the chip the car needs to see before it's started. The thief shouldn't have that.
Old 4/30/10 | 02:17 PM
eci
Banned

1. Factory alarm
2. Clifford BlackJax valet switch
3. Lojack with Early Warning
4. Done.

My Lojack with EWS was $1195 installed.

Quick Reply: Does the stock alarm/anti-theft enough?