2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Do they look boring to you now?

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/10, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
Good Lord, I am a professional writer and I do not use those words in forum speak, lol.

Just giving you a hard time (I appreciate a diverse vocabulary more than most). We can all argue back and forth ad nauseam, especially since many of us have owned both versions. However, this thread is even more proof that styling is largely subjective. So analyzing the lines of the vehicle, pointing to industry opinions, etc. is all well and good, but it's only part of the equation when it comes to sales numbers.
Well, as they say, the prettiest thing in the world to Mr. Toad is Mrs. Toad.

Yeah, looks are, of course, hugely subjective, though it can be argued there is at least some technique and science to good design that can be dissected.
Old 9/10/10, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
I think the 2010+ has more styling, but the '05-'09 has better styling. If simply "more" stuff going on, design-wise, makes the 2010 less "boring," then perhaps yes, but that is more a quantitative analysis than a qualitative one.

The 2010 seems more a discordant committee effort where no one's individual design ideas got turned down but were all somehow lumped together. Yes, more potentially interesting elements are there, too many IMHO, but they are not nearly as well integrated into a fully cohesive design. The lumpy, bumpy, busy and confused rear end is most emblematic of this, but the same approach pervades the whole car.

Ironically, I think the same problem afflicts most Bangle-era BMWs where far too many very interesting individual stylistic elements are clumsily clumped into a busy and incoherent overall design. Interesting, exciting, challenging -- yes. Beautiful -- no.

Qualitatively, I think the '05-'09 is a perfect study in how less is more, that it has fewer stylistic elements that are far better executed into a cohesive whole. The lines, forms, masses and angles are sharper, clearer, cleaner far better balanced to create a singular, impressive whole. There's a greater sculptural purity of form and balance of elements. Lines serve a greater design whole and are not there for their own sake. While it might be "boring" according to a stylistic-element tally sheet perspective, it is a much better artistic design for it.

To summarize, the 2010+ might have more design, but the '05-'09 has a better design.

Wow, very well said!