Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Check in: what has FAILED, BROKEN or worn out on your '10+ Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/14, 05:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
Looks like she was rode hard and put up wet! You should take it to your dealer for a look. The axle tube appears to be leaking as does the pinon seal. They may need to weld the tube to the housing or, most likely, replace the rear end assembly. And, your oil consumption seems too high - ~6-7 qts in ~3600 miles!

That's what I'm worried about. I drive it a little hard, but not worse than any other young guy.
The oil consumption worries me; it's horrible for a brand new car.

And my entire rear axle was replaced as well as the outside seals, so I would assume any work like this is covered under warranty regardless of any prior damage done to my rear axle.

I should look into getting undercoating
Old 4/2/14, 06:22 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Kyle, yes I was in warranty (and I still am). If your car is a 2011, you can't be out of warranty very long. I would connect with Deysha (the Ford Rep on TMS), and let her see if she can get an exception made to fix those window scratches. If they are on the inside, perhaps just a re-do of window tint. But I would push FoMoCo to pay for it...tell them that this is a common issue. Good luck, brother.
Thank you for the mention, PJRManagement! I'll have our FordServiceCA Rep get jump on here.

Deysha
Old 4/2/14, 07:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
2011 GT Premium, Race Red, Rapid Spec 400A, 6AT, Electronics Package, Comfort Package. 12k miles. A lot of items, more than I'm used to for a new car, frankly. But...I love the way it looks and drives, it is the first car I've ever tracked, and Ford has given me a FREE 3-year maintenance plan and a FREE bumper-to-bumper warranty extension up to 5 years (up from the standard 3 years) - both for my troubles. Here's my laundry list:
* rattle in rear-view mirror, replaced under warranty.
* passenger-side seat heater fail, replaced under warranty.
* driver-side seat motor fail, replaced under warranty.
* driver-side weather stripping warped, replaced under warranty.
* driver-side window scratches, replaced under warranty.
* front LCA (control arm) creaks, TSB, replaced under warranty (with new heat-shield-fix).
* Sync not recognizing USB, uploaded new TSB software, fixed under warranty.
* interior dome/map light assembly loose, fixed under warranty.
* various squeaks in and around dash, IP, A-pillar plastics, & vents - I took some black-colored foam material and wedged into many crevices using a small flat-head screwdriver, all squeaks gone - invisible and free fix.
There it all is.
I noticed that I have a rattle/vibration noise coming from my rearview mirror too. I noticed it this winter when the weather was cold and usually only happened going over asphalt expansion joints. It isnt happening with the same frequency since it has warmed up. I guess I'll need to take that in. That's all I've noticed so far at almost 16,000, besides a couple sync nuances. knock on wood.
Old 4/2/14, 08:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 V6 Premium. 42k so out of warranty but here is my list:
Driver side seat motor lagging and I suspect soon to fail
Rear view mirror vibrates terrible
Corrosion on underside of hood. Fixed under warranty

Sadly Ford still has not learned their lessons regarding building a quality car. My '12 Focus Titanium has lost the transmission already (less than 10k miles), and had to go back to the dealership several times for MyFordTouch issues.

Matthew

Last edited by Matt's 95 Stang; 4/2/14 at 08:22 AM.
Old 4/2/14, 09:15 AM
CURRENTLY NOT ACTIVE ON THIS SITE DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
2014 GT. 6 speed. 6648 kilometres and 1st time Low Oil Level warning. Put in a quart of oil and got an oil change an hour later.
No visible leaks. Dealership was closed so went to a Mr.Lube and they said NO OIL left at all in the car (just very low oil), except for maybe the quart I had put in an hour prior.

When the car was on the lift they noticed lots of fluid on my rear axle near the differential and the components.
My rear axle and seals was previously replaced due to a run in with a curb at ford dealership.

Attached are the pictures of said "leak"
Hi Moejoe_989,

Were you able to get an appointment with your dealer concerning this? Please send me a PM with your full name, VIN, best daytime phone number, and servicing dealer so I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager.

Bianca
Old 4/2/14, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

They said no oil, I assume they just meant very low.

Yeah it's a 2014. It's got 8,000 kilometres on her now.
She looks pretty ugly underneath :-(
Poor girl needs some maintenance I think.

What puzzled me was that my oil was so low. I drive it hard yes, but I don't trash the car. It's usually stop light to stop light. I've only done 4-5 mild burnouts in the car.

What do you guys think about those pictures. Are they as horrible as I think they are?
I have seen daily drivers here in New England that are 8 - 10 years old that look cleaner than that car does underneath. I agree with the other poster. If teh crankcase only had 1-2 quarts of oil in it that engine would have been making all kinds of noises, such as rod knock, etc.

With regards to the axle tubes leaking. I have heard tale of them leaking from folks using the center of the axle assembly as a jacking point causing the outside edge of the axle tubues to flex downward. I have not witnessed this first hand but there are folks on the baords complainign that this happens on teh S197 cars. With regards to the front pinion seal leaking that typically only happens to vehicles with mileage close to 100K miles.

To be honest it looks as if a band of gremelins snuck into yoru garage one night and swapped out the body of your 2014 Mustang onto a 2005 chassis with high mileage.
Old 4/2/14, 10:27 PM

2010 V6 ragtop, bought in december 2013, April 2014 63,000 miles new transmission. out of warrenty. $4,049.00 out of pocket. the whole story under "yellow wrench of doom" post.
glad to see all the post and that mine seems to be the only major incedent. Maybe the bad jeu jeu is behind me.
Old 4/3/14, 05:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mustang GT, I had it for about a year now.

Crank Position Sensor - Caused the check engine light to blink. Replaced under warranty. There was about 800 miles on the car.

Wheel well seal wasn't properly sealed - Let water in between the body panels. Fixed under warranty about 9000 miles

LCD screen de-lamination - the radio screen is starting to flake. I'm waiting to take it in for warranty.
Old 4/3/14, 05:18 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
I have seen daily drivers here in New England that are 8 - 10 years old that look cleaner than that car does underneath.
That's because they had 8 - 10 winters driving on salt laden roads to clean them up.
Old 4/3/14, 05:38 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewpony
2010 V6 ragtop, bought in december 2013, April 2014 63,000 miles new transmission. out of warrenty. $4,049.00 out of pocket. the whole story under "yellow wrench of doom" post. glad to see all the post and that mine seems to be the only major incedent. Maybe the bad jeu jeu is behind me.
Shouldn't powertrain warranty be 5 years? Ahh, wait, 5 yrs 60k. Nvm.
Old 4/3/14, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In my mind "a little hard" means beat to s**t....
Old 4/3/14, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JCStang
In my mind "a little hard" means beat to s**t....
No, not beat to ****. It was and still is, a new car. I still do baby that thing.
Some people track their mustangs, but I don't.
Like I said, four or five very mild 2-3 second burn outs since I got the car.

When I leave a red light I accelerate a little faster than everyone else, but it's never that bad.
Old 4/3/14, 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewpony
2010 V6 ragtop, bought in december 2013, April 2014 63,000 miles new transmission. out of warrenty. $4,049.00 out of pocket. the whole story under "yellow wrench of doom" post.
glad to see all the post and that mine seems to be the only major incedent. Maybe the bad jeu jeu is behind me.
Dang, 3,000 miles past the powertrain warranty and they didn't help you out at all with the cost? That blows (haven't read through that whole other thread).
Old 4/3/14, 11:16 AM

New Front Control Arms

Just got home with new front control arms installed on my 2014 GT 5.0. The squeak going over speed bumps was awful. Now....silence! Ahhhh.....

From what I hear, most 'Stangs will need this eventually. The service writer said it's a heat issue where the ball-joint lube dries out. New arms include a 'heat-shield' in the design. Hummm....

If Ford has known about this since 2010, why did my 2014 GT get built with the defective old parts? WTF Flat Rock?

Harley Frank
Old 4/3/14, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford must be sitting on a boat load of control arms of the old design. Some bean counter figured out cost to destroy the old design and compared to the cost to repair the defects based on failure rate.
Old 4/3/14, 11:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by HarleyFrank
Just got home with new front control arms installed on my 2014 GT 5.0. The squeak going over speed bumps was awful. Now....silence! Ahhhh..... From what I hear, most 'Stangs will need this eventually. The service writer said it's a heat issue where the ball-joint lube dries out. New arms include a 'heat-shield' in the design. Hummm.... If Ford has known about this since 2010, why did my 2014 GT get built with the defective old parts? WTF Flat Rock? Harley Frank
Probably just cheaper to swap out the ones that start to squeak than to change the arms on the assembly line lol. Mine started to squeak around 30k
Old 4/3/14, 12:11 PM
V6 Member

Got my swaybar links rear replaced yesterday, cos it squeeks over bumps and covered under warranty only 12,000 miles on the car. Heres a pic from yesterday and now it drives smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails Check in: what has FAILED, BROKEN or worn out on your '10+ Mustang?-image-3630783441.jpg  
Old 4/3/14, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HarleyFrank
From what I hear, most 'Stangs will need this eventually. The service writer said it's a heat issue where the ball-joint lube dries out. New arms include a 'heat-shield' in the design. Hummm....
That's what I heard too. But it's not the ball-joints, it's the rear control arm bushings near the exhaust.

Originally Posted by conv_stang
Probably just cheaper to swap out the ones that start to squeak than to change the arms on the assembly line lol. Mine started to squeak around 30k
I couldn't stand the idea of waiting for this failure so I fabricated and installed my own heat shields since my 2014 didn't have them. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 4/3/14, 04:08 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
No, not beat to ****. It was and still is, a new car. I still do baby that thing. Some people track their mustangs, but I don't. Like I said, four or five very mild 2-3 second burn outs since I got the car. When I leave a red light I accelerate a little faster than everyone else, but it's never that bad.
Hmmm is burnout defined as the same thing as squawking the tires every so often? Because I've never done a burnout lol... I spin tires every so often if I accelerate quickly
Old 4/3/14, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Hmmm is burnout defined as the same thing as squawking the tires every so often? Because I've never done a burnout lol... I spin tires every so often if I accelerate quickly
I've chirped my tires a few times but only once or twice.

We just got over winter like 2 weeks ago so I'm only now seeing dry pavement,

1 burnout at the dragstrip in October (prior to ford replacing my entire rear axle)
And 3 burnouts since. I'm talking 2nd gear, 2300 RPM's and dump the clutch and spin those bad boys.

That's the only time I was a complete ******* to my car. Other than that it's been spirited driving.
"Hey look at me in a blue car *vroom"

Quick Reply: Check in: what has FAILED, BROKEN or worn out on your '10+ Mustang?