Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Black is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/13, 03:23 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by youngstang90
And if anyone knows this OP, it's this guy! He has the deepest pool of gorgeous paint I've ever seen!
LOL... thanks man. But anyone can make their paint that way. Very easy! Just need to be informed, and have the right tools. Knowledge is power!

Originally Posted by muscledom
He should sue ford for making black cars too....
Nah, I love black too. I used to own 3 black cars simultaneously. I think I had but ONE pic, of them all clean at once. LOL. Hard work keeping them ALL swirl free, but man, it was truly majestic once clean.

Originally Posted by dkmcclelland
This!! +1
Originally Posted by JCStang
And he's one of the guy's I said you shouldn't park by!!!!!
LOL... if you guys park by me, I would be livid. Car guys who know car guys, know that there must be at LEAST a 1 car space rule. Kindda like going to the urinal with a buddy or watching a movie with some buddies. Gotta have a ONE SPACE rule
Old 5/30/13, 03:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

LOL... if you guys park by me, I would be livid. Car guys who know car guys, know that there must be at LEAST a 1 car space rule. Kindda like going to the urinal with a buddy or watching a movie with some buddies. Gotta have a ONE SPACE rule

To avoid this I always **** people off and straddle the line and take up two places lol

Last edited by dkmcclelland; 5/30/13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 5/30/13, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfink114
I would agree with you 93% of the time, but when the car looks like this, there's no comparison to any other color.
Black is not a color, it's a part time job.

And the only two Mustang colors that compare IMO are Lava Red and Kona Blue. This is my Kona.

Name:  shiny.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  83.6 KB

Last edited by Moustang; 5/30/13 at 08:54 PM.
Old 5/31/13, 03:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey gang,

I asked a buddy of mine, "The Junkman", to come by this forum and help y'all out with his how-to videos and tips on how to properly get and maintain a swirl-free car. He's posted in the "Car Care" section of the forum, here: https://themustangsource.com/f659/mo...9/#post6633029

I highly recommend his video series - I've been following his YouTube channel for about a year now - he's taught me a lot about DIY detailing!
Old 6/7/13, 04:27 PM
GT Member

'Tator - It's going to be hard, but you can do it. I think your biggest challenge is the lack of a garage. But, a good (i.e., Weathershield) cover can help you out immensely. Once you get used to taking the cover on and off, it's a 5 minute process - and that's with the wind gust tie-downs and cable lock.

So if you ever get your paint swirls under control here's what I'd do (and what I do do....so as not to make it look like do-do - sorry for the bad pun). Although my Mustang is not black, it's Lava Red - and might as well be black when it comes to showing dirt. Other posters have wisely recommended washing with the right method (2 bucket, etc) and supplies. Then, make sure you dry it immediately and completely. Next, use some type of a liquid wax - I use Armor All Butter Wax, but there are similar brands. It is SO easy to apply, and remove - and if you're sloppy like me, it doesn't matter if it ends up on the weatherstripping or wherever, as it leaves no visible residue. Apply it in STRAIGHT LINES, then wipe off (right away) in straight lines. The beauty of this this stuff is the ease in which it goes on and comes off. The bad side? - it doesn't last as long as traditional waxes - but if you use your cover often, it should last you 8-10 weeks or so. And because it's so easy to apply, this is not a big issue IMO.

Aside from a good cover and the "STRAIGHT-LINE" wax, your third most important tool is a California Duster. As long as you didn't end up driving through mud holes, driving rain storms, and clouds of bugs, the duster can be used to wipe off your car between washings (just make sure the car is cool to the touch before dusting.)

This may sound like a lot of hassle, but it's far less than what you've been going through. And black/dark Mustangs are oh so nice!

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails Black is driving me nuts-hood.jpg  
Old 6/7/13, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I usually go for light silver (probably one of the easiest colors in the world to keep "clean"), but my wife talked me into Sterling Gray on the new ride. I was petrified that it would be as hard as black to keep clean, but- after the first exposure to rain yesterday- I was pleasantly surprised! If I get close I can see the spots, but the metallic in the SG really hides the appearance of dirt amazingly well (but boy that black tail light panel shows off the dirt :^).

This is the first car I've factory ordered, and I'm using the 2 bucket method (which makes a lot of sense) for this baby!
Old 6/13/13, 03:13 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mustangTator
5.0 power: that's a beautiful ride man. So how do you stay sain with having 3 black cars in the past?
I washed them weekly and covered them at night. Living in Vegas wasn't much help either with dirt