2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Black is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/13, 06:59 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 power: that's a beautiful ride man. So how do you stay sain with having 3 black cars in the past?
Old 5/29/13, 07:16 AM
V6 Member

I'm on Long Island an I would love to connect with members who can share some of there knowledge with me. I wish I ha the time or a garage to properly maintain my black stang. I would love to hit up car shows or something with other LI members.
Old 5/29/13, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When I went on my last business trip I rented a Mustang (v6) and asked for black because I know I will never own one in that color lol
Old 5/29/13, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

My 2 year old black 5.0 has no swirls at all ... told the dealer when it came in don't put a finger on it and my hands are all that's ever touched her. If you use the right products/tools you will have no problems.

Two buckets with grit guards, battery powered leaf blower to help dry less by hand and good clean micro fibers to apply/remove product and detailer.
Old 5/29/13, 08:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 99mstng
My 2 year old black 5.0 has no swirls at all ... told the dealer when it came in don't put a finger on it and my hands are all that's ever touched her. If you use the right products/tools you will have no problems.

Two buckets with grit guards, battery powered leaf blower to help dry less by hand and good clean micro fibers to apply/remove product and detailer.
This!!! My black Accord had 145k and had zero swirls. Grit guards. Quality microfiber towels. Electric leaf blower are all must haves!
Old 5/29/13, 11:47 AM

Dam this thread, just bought an electric leaf blower! any particular brand of microfiber towels you guys reccomend? i'm starting to wage my war on swirls.

Last edited by 5.0verkill; 5/29/13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 5/29/13, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the waffle micro fiber drying towels.
Old 5/29/13, 12:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Get the waffle micro fiber drying towels.
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/

I use these. You can catch them on sale and grab a couple. You lay them over the car and drag them. Never press on them and move back and forth.

Here's a guide to washing and drying a car properly.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...and-dry-a-car/

Last edited by dkmcclelland; 5/29/13 at 12:18 PM.
Old 5/29/13, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.0verkill
Dam this thread, just bought an electric leaf blower! any particular brand of microfiber towels you guys reccomend? i'm starting to wage my war on swirls.
All that touches the paint on my 5.0 are meguirar's supreme shine microfiber cloths. I have various other microfibers from Walmart and a couple 12 packs from ADS (auto detailing solutions -they have a good website and selection) I use these on wheels, chrome, interior etc. Washing/storing of micrifibers I use normal soap and add degreaser NO fabric softener. When they come out of the dryer be sure to remove any grit or particles that were picked up/left over from the wash and could scratch the paint. Then I store in a plastic storage container with a lid.

I also use a micro fiber wash mitts and drying towels. Walmart surprisingly has a pretty good selection of meguirar's products and a "new car kit" that I'd recommend to get you started (~$20 and comes with soap a wash mitt drying towel microfiber wax etc etc.)
Old 5/29/13, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Guys, I asked Junkman if he could pop in here and maybe talk a bit in more detail about swirls and swirl correction. He's a wealth of info. If he joins, please feel free to ask him questions - he's a great guy and always happy to help.
Old 5/29/13, 02:49 PM
V6 Member

I recently had my car clay bared and wet sanded but there are still swirls but there not as bad as it was. Shouldnt clay baring and wet sanding give you a clean slate to work with?
Old 5/29/13, 02:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mustangTator
I recently had my car clay bared and wet sanded but there are still swirls but there not as bad as it was. Shouldnt clay baring and wet sanding give you a clean slate to work with?
I would take it back... Have you washed it or anyone else touched it since the clay? It takes one improper wash for swirls to come back.
Old 5/29/13, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangTator
Clay Bar is used to pull 'stuck' contaminates off the paint. Think about it like using a lint roller on a suit...it grabs the lint off the surface of the suit without actually 'cleaning' the suit.

Wet sanding is a general term. What you need done is "Paint Correction", which would include using a random orbital buffer, a "high-grit" compound, then a "low-grit" compound, then a "polishing" compound. Then you can seal it and wax for protection.

Check out this video for more tips (be sure to watch all 5 episodes):

Last edited by ColSaulTigh; 5/29/13 at 03:48 PM.
Old 5/29/13, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bucko
It seems most everyone owns one black car in their lifetime.

My wonderance is, how many go for a second one in black; repeat buyers of black?
I had a black charger before my sublime charger before my black mustang. True story.
Old 5/29/13, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have owned about 40 cars....so far 7 have been black...both current cars are black.
Old 5/29/13, 10:05 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Seems like this is in the wrong section.

To the OP, you need to sue that shop you took it to, or demand a refund. That's the problem with these alleged detail shops. To an uninformed customer, it's free money for them for crap work.

Truly "corrected" paint must be swirl free in ANY light, particularly sunlight and halogens.
Old 5/30/13, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

To the OP, you need to sue that shop you took it to, or demand a refund. That's the problem with these alleged detail shops. To an uninformed customer, it's free money for them for crap work.

Truly "corrected" paint must be swirl free in ANY light, particularly sunlight and halogens.
And if anyone knows this OP, it's this guy! He has the deepest pool of gorgeous paint I've ever seen!
Old 5/30/13, 08:25 AM
Banned

He should sue ford for making black cars too....
Old 5/30/13, 08:26 AM
GT Member

This!! +1
Old 5/30/13, 12:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by youngstang90

And if anyone knows this OP, it's this guy! He has the deepest pool of gorgeous paint I've ever seen!
And he's one of the guy's I said you shouldn't park by!!!!!

Quick Reply: Black is driving me nuts