2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

American Muscle, the mustang authority

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/10, 08:40 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
when i bought my wheels ( american racing ) of course i knew they would fit .. how many bolt patterns can a 69 mustang have .. well had the tires mounted and went to put them on and behold .. one of them did`nt " FIT " .. .. it hit on the drum weight .. how was american racing supposed to know that would happen .. i simply ground the weight a bit and solved that delima .. ( green arrow ) .. you should have removed the tiny bit of metal that scratched your wheel and lived with it .. if you really wanted that particular wheel .. perhaps the regular deburr person at ford was out that day your caliper was made ..
Old 12/29/10, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to respond to this thread. We were corresponding with the OP in an identical thread on AllFordMustangs.com, and didn't see this until it had already been locked up.

Let me explain what happened here..

We have a vehicle of each generation here to test fit our products. We cannot physically test fit every product (we sell thousands), but we use these vehicles to troubleshoot problems and test fit new products. When the 2011 first came out, we tested each of our 18” wheel styles on our new vehicles (2011 GT and V6) to test for brake clearance. We then made the assumption that if the 18” wheels cleared, so would the 19” and 20" of the same style. This assumption certainly bit us in the ***, but I hope you can follow the logic.

When the OP called in, we offered a full refund on the wheels and tires, but did not offer to cover his M&B fees from his shop. We did notify our wheel product manager of the potential problem. He quickly began test fitting 19” and 20” wheels on the 2011 and realized the customer was indeed 100% correct. The larger size Bullitts do have brake clearance issues. This was updated on the site, and customers who purchased these wheels were notified. We reached back out to the OP to offer a full refund of his M&B fees, and apologized for the inconvenience.

This mistake is not something we are proud of, but we aren’t perfect (we would like to be.) What we can do is quickly dig to the bottom of an issue and always treat our customers fairly.

Last edited by AMChrisRose; 12/29/10 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12/29/10, 10:06 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well good job AM and Chris.

And Chris, explicitly add "test fit" to your wheel policy lol
Old 12/29/10, 11:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Muscle.... well handled. Sorry it cost you a bit, but on the other hand any time you learn something for under a grand, it's a pretty positive experience.

I have run my business for 26 years and occasionally you just gotta take one in the purse, to keep your reputation and standards high.
Old 12/29/10, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
Chris and AM have stepped up to the plate and refunded me the whole $170 for the mounting. Which was more than I expected.

Thank you all for all your support.

This is truly what makes this place such a great community.
Great!!!

Now how about a hamburger for the man's time?!

Just kid...*click* dial tone

Old 12/29/10, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was good to hear both sides, find out there was indeed a problem, and then see American Muscle deal with it in a timely and professional manner.
Old 12/29/10, 01:46 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the OP handled it in a good way and AM was honest and said truth(which is most important).
Old 12/29/10, 01:52 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
good resolve .. makes my post moot
Old 12/29/10, 03:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Since the OP states he was told on the phone by AM the 18" wheels would NOT fit, it sounds like there is or was an internal communication or training problem at AM. As I understand it, the 18's are what the OP originally wanted and he ended up "settling" for the '20's based on what the AM guy told him on the phone.

Other than that, BRAVO to Chris and AM. I've not bought anything from AM yet, but they're back on my short list of go-to vendors when I do.
Old 12/29/10, 03:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Everett
Pfffffffffftttttt ...... Your nuts. This is America. No one cares about one persons bad experience you want parts cheap. I don't care if the op didn't do his homework and is out 70 bucks. I want good looking parts cheap and fast. Long live American muscle.
MY nuts?!?

On a more serious note, I have to respectfully disagree. I've been burned enough times by "lowest price" such that for me nowadays whether I can trust a seller is more important than the absolute lowest price, especially for big-ticket items (like, oh I don't know...WHEELS), and especially given the level of competition out there for my hard-earned dollar.

Given that Shotzy has proven himself over time on this forum to be level-headed and fair-minded, I absolutely paid attention to this thread/situation (and am glad to see it resolved as it was).
Old 12/29/10, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad

Other than that, BRAVO to Chris and AM. I've not bought anything from AM yet, but they're back on my short list of go-to vendors when I do.
+1
Old 12/29/10, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks to both parties for handling the situation respectfully.
Old 12/30/10, 08:21 AM
Cobra Member

Glad it all was worked out!
Old 12/30/10, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I love this outcome. I also love how everyone was so quick to jump on the DON'T BUY AMERICAN MUSCLE PRODUCTS bandwagon without hearing both sides of the story.

Thinking for one's self = Awesome.
Old 1/2/11, 10:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
I love this outcome. I also love how everyone was so quick to jump on the DON'T BUY AMERICAN MUSCLE PRODUCTS bandwagon without hearing both sides of the story.

Thinking for one's self = Awesome.

I think most agreed that if the situation had been handled in a " You're just one person so your business to us ain't chet!" manner then, no. But AM stepped up to the plate and the situation was handled very well. Props to AM for responding and to the OP for bringing his experience to light. I would have done the same and would assume most members here would share with the rest if they were to have a bad business transaction of their own..
Old 1/3/11, 04:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Great job AM!
Old 1/3/11, 08:54 AM
GTR Member

It would be a really classy thing to do if the admins or OP would go back and add a note to the original post stating that the issue was resolved to the satisfaction of the OP.

Some person might come on and not read through the whole thread and not see the outcome and make his decision about A/M without knowing that they made good on the problem.
Old 1/3/11, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
It would be a really classy thing to do if the admins or OP would go back and add a note to the original post stating that the issue was resolved to the satisfaction of the OP.

Some person might come on and not read through the whole thread and not see the outcome and make his decision about A/M without knowing that they made good on the problem.
Good Idea. Done
Old 1/3/11, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

^ +1!
Old 1/3/11, 10:59 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Originally Posted by shotzy
Good Idea. Done
So, now that A/M's Chris Rose has stated that the problem lies in the 20" wheels and that the 18's have been test fitted and that they will clear, are you going to get a set of the 18's?

Quick Reply: American Muscle, the mustang authority