2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

American Muscle, the mustang authority

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/10, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ultimately it comes down to this. An American Muscle customer read their web site which is meant to assuage any trepidation about fitment. It absolutely assured him that fitment would be no problem. He took them at their word and because of that he is out $170. It would seem like good customer service for them to be willing to work with him concerning his incurred expense.

Due to this thread, I would be unlikely to buy wheels from AM. For many reasons, the most profound of which is that it appears they have quality control issues.

As a full disclaimer, I have purchased other items from them in the past. I bought these at good prices and had them arrive in a timely manner. They look great on my car and I enjoy them. That said, it is how a company responds when there is a problem which is the most telling.
Old 12/23/10, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
not knowing a wheel doesnt fit is not some small thing like selling a shift **** with different threads. If you sell things and tell people they fit and it doesnt fit you should lose some credibility.

why isnt fair to say go to a vendor that doesnt have such problems?
First of all, referring someone to Steeda/Gus when they are attempting to buy a set of deep dish bullitt rims is kind of nonsensical, as Steeda doesn't sell them.

Second off, until Steeda, or any other vendor for that matter, is in this VERY SAME situation, you cannot say without a doubt that it will go down any differently. No amount of talk will prove otherwise.
Old 12/24/10, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
To be honest, I think they might just be flooded with holiday activity.

Personally, my experiences with AM have been decent. I don't think a company that well known would purposely **** a customer off by completely ignoring all e-mails/PMs.
Well that may be the case. But they had plenty of time to respond to other posts on the All ford forums. I waited almost 4 days to get a response from them before bringing this up on these boards. While they had the time to respond to numerous other posts on other boards where I also tried to contact them.

Clearly it is not from being to busy.

There are numerous things that could have been worked out as a show of good will.

They chose not to.
Old 12/24/10, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Good luck, I've been in your shoes before so I understand your frustration. I know there are a lot of folks here who are split with their opinions but I'd have to side with the OP on this one simply because of the fact that they test fit and guarantee all wheels to fit on their site but the OP also spoke with someone on the phone and they confirmed the same.

Although the OP did get reimbursed for the wheels and the mounting and balancing charges may only be consequential and not as much it comes down to principal. I've purchased at least five sets of wheels from Internet wheel and tire sites before, and I always speak to a person before sealing the deal as did the OP, to gaurantee the wheels fit. I rely on their expertise and have never test fit wheels either. As someone else mentioned at least by entertaining the customers offer and maybe giving him even half of the $170 I'm sure he would've been content and not as frustrated.

Like the guy who kept repeating himself over and over, that AM fulfilled their legal obligation. In the end it all comes down to principal, making one customer happy can go a long way in terms of word of mouth. AM could've gone to the manufacturer to claim his losses and just threatened not to carry that brand company wheel any longer. Again this is just my opinion. Either way good luck and don't stress, it looks like you've done all you can. Hopefully these threads will get their attention and they will address it and regain their "honor" in this community.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all!!

Last edited by alcarames; 12/24/10 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12/24/10, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

FITMENT

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
A distributor who claims they have test fit the wheels they carry and they fit perfectly. So the customer in this thread had a perfectly legitimate right to expect and demand for them to fit the way they said they would. No need to test fit.

Nope. Companies that make their own wheels for the individual customer are companies like HRE, Fiske, Forgeline, and so on. They ask for measurements because they make wheels to customer specification, not vehicle specifications, and as individual runs, not mass production. Companies that make wheels for mass production make them based on vehicle spec for mass distribution.

Had he purchased a set of CUSTOM wheels then test fitting to make sure they were manufactured to the specific specs before mounting would have been reasonable. In this case he was completely entitled to expect the wheels to fit as advertised.

Oh and before you try and tell me I'm wrong too, I not only am the purchaser for our mass production wheels, but custom wheels like the HRE P40 Monoblok wheels on the Streetfighter series cars we build. So I have a pretty good idea on how wheel manufacturing works, and also what realistic customer expectations should be when buying wheels.

American Muscle did take them back, but in the end failed to meet the customers expectations which were that they would fit in the first place.

Well said. AM should have refunded all charges. When you tell some one the part will fit the buyer has no reseaon to think other wise. It would have been in their best interest to satisfy this customer. That is the cost of doing business and as a business you have make it right.
Old 12/24/10, 01:16 PM
V6 Member

AM should be eating all of the expenses ....They claim to be a Mustang authority and said the goods would fit.....The customer shouldnt have to second guess them.....

They are in the wrong and really dropped the ball.....After reading this ,I would be hesitant to buy anything from them....

I run a small business and would never expect the customer to eat expenses because of my screw up...
Old 12/24/10, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

this is on their website under those wheels description, is it a newly added spec because of this thread or was it always there

Fitment:

* Fits 2005-2010 V6 and GT Mustang models
* Does not fit Shelby GT500, 2011 GT, or 2011 V6, because of the larger factory brakes.
* Stagger with 20x10 Bullitt's on the rear for a classic muscle car stance & improved traction
Old 12/24/10, 09:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Funny if that was added after this thread, or if it was there all along, but either way AM is still retarded as the 2011 V6 has the exact same brakes as the 2005-2010 GT, so the wheel would fit a 2011 V6.
Old 12/25/10, 02:57 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know if I was AM, I'd just pay shotzy the $170 for his troubles and get some good press.
Old 12/25/10, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I know if I was AM, I'd just pay shotzy the $170 for his troubles and get some good press.
Alas, I think at this point the possibility for reasonable damage control is slim. Even paying out, I suspect the overriding feeling will be "too little, too late".

I'm late to chime in, but, hey, that's never stopped me from putting in my 2-yen worth before.

I think AM has set a dangerous precedent here: They've indicated that their management and owner are perfectly happy with avoiding customers in the hope that a problem (whether real or perceived is unimportant) will go away. That, I think, is reprehensible. Whether you're willing to pony up the OP's $170 is one thing; being unwilling to man up and speak with authority to that decision is of paramount importance here. The fact that you're unwilling to speak, speaks volumes.

You can't even buy a decent ad for $200. "Paying off" the OP with $170 could have easily been shuffled to come out of the advertising budget and, wow, what a monumental win in customer service, standing up for your policies and going all the way to ensuring your customers are happy that would have been.

Ignoring the problem until it goes away plus not seeing the value of advertising ... Not my kind of company. Just sayin'.
Old 12/25/10, 10:05 PM
GT Member

I just read this whole thread and what bothers me most that is AMChrisRose hasn't chimed in to explain. He is always quick to respond to someone asking about tunes and I am quite confident he or at least someone at AM has seen this thread and has chosen to NOT respond on this forum OR even respond to the OP's emails which lends complete credibility to the OP. Bottom line, American Muscle's claims are FALSE about their research on fitment of the wheels that they sell.

We can all argue the legality of this and responsibility of AM til we are blue in the face and YES, they did refund the amount of the wheels but the OP is still out money because of their FALSE claims. A positive thread on this forum about a company's customer service is worth WAY more than $170. A negative one such as this will cause them to lose WAY more than $170. Personally, I dont see how this was worth it for them. I will not purchase anything from American Muscle because of the way they have dealt with the OP on this issue.
Old 12/25/10, 10:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
That^.
Old 12/25/10, 10:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
this is on their website under those wheels description, is it a newly added spec because of this thread or was it always there

Fitment:

* Fits 2005-2010 V6 and GT Mustang models
* Does not fit Shelby GT500, 2011 GT, or 2011 V6, because of the larger factory brakes.
* Stagger with 20x10 Bullitt's on the rear for a classic muscle car stance & improved traction
If that's true that it's a newly added spec, and they won't talk to the buyer, pretty lame business practice. I'd shop elsewhere. If it was always there, then they're ok...
Old 12/25/10, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by trane
Alas, I think at this point the possibility for reasonable damage control is slim. Even paying out, I suspect the overriding feeling will be "too little, too late".
Very true.

Conversely, "better late than never," right?
Old 12/26/10, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread but 170 for mounting and balancing WOW
Old 12/26/10, 06:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Killa-B
I just read this whole thread and what bothers me most that is AMChrisRose hasn't chimed in to explain. He is always quick to respond to someone asking about tunes and I am quite confident he or at least someone at AM has seen this thread and has chosen to NOT respond on this forum OR even respond to the OP's emails which lends complete credibility to the OP. . . . .[/B]
Well, in Chris' defense, it is a lose-lose situation for him at this point -- what could he possibly say that would help? Any comment at this point probably would be held against them in some way and/or would only fan the flames.

"Hi, I've been away for a few days with my family for the holiday, now that I'm aware of the situation I am taking care of it" is about the only thing I can imagine that would save it for them now.
Old 12/26/10, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I didn't read the whole thread but 170 for mounting and balancing WOW
Yeah 170 is a bit rediculess. I had 4 mount and balances on my 03, Cobra and they were 10 1/2 inch wide tires on the rear and was only charged $80.00 for all four... Butt, that's not the point. AM could have handled it differently buy offering him at least some of his $$ back for the M and B. Now all they've done is shot themselves in the foot.

I'm in business for myself and i try and do whatever i can to make a customer happy. After all they are the reason we are in business.
Old 12/26/10, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Killa-B
I just read this whole thread and what bothers me most that is AMChrisRose hasn't chimed in to explain. He is always quick to respond to someone asking about tunes and I am quite confident he or at least someone at AM has seen this thread and has chosen to NOT respond on this forum OR even respond to the OP's emails which lends complete credibility to the OP. Bottom line, American Muscle's claims are FALSE about their research on fitment of the wheels that they sell.

We can all argue the legality of this and responsibility of AM til we are blue in the face and YES, they did refund the amount of the wheels but the OP is still out money because of their FALSE claims. A positive thread on this forum about a company's customer service is worth WAY more than $170. A negative one such as this will cause them to lose WAY more than $170. Personally, I dont see how this was worth it for them. I will not purchase anything from American Muscle because of the way they have dealt with the OP on this issue.
Most businesses don't operate around the holiday. For all we know, come Monday morning, Chris/whoever works the website/emails might find out about all this and send the guy a check. Who knows.

Putting statements in bold doesn't make them any less retarded, fyi.
Old 12/26/10, 08:29 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
If i bought a Mustang part from a company that specialized in Mustang parts and has been in business for many years, i would expect the Mustang part they sold me would fit my Mustang.

I think shotzy should be refunded every cent.
Old 12/26/10, 08:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011GB/CS
Yeah 170 is a bit rediculess. I had 4 mount and balances on my 03, Cobra and they were 10 1/2 inch wide tires on the rear and was only charged $80.00 for all four...
Remember, he also had to get the tires dismounted to send the wheels back.

Originally Posted by shotzy
Besides Not fitting it took a lot of weight to get these tires to balance which even the tire shop guys were surprised about on some tires up to 5lbs of weight.
I assume that should have been ounces not pounds. Even five ounces on a single wheel would have prompted me to reject the wheel and/or tire before it even got installed on the car. One should never have to use more than 1.5 ounces inner and outer weights (3 ounces total) per wheel.

Quick Reply: American Muscle, the mustang authority