Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2012 Boss 302 or 2012 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/11, 12:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phytrpilot

What we 2012 owners went through was the angst of build date, ramp 51, back to plant, rail transit, local delivery by drivers afraid to damage the front splitter, et. alia., the wanting of the rebirth of the legend car as our own. I don't feel superior to any other vehicle owner of any make. I feel priviledged to regain my youth.
Add in LCA issues, the long wait for Trackey, Canadian and dealer price gouging, the loss of track day, the ongoing wait for the owners package and the recent release of the '13 Boss before many of us have experienced the complete package and you have an uptight group. Having said that, I love my Boss. I drove the others but bought this one sight unseen. It was worth it.
Old 12/1/11, 04:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

The 41k price was for a base Boss and zero options which there are some like the Laguna package, etc. That price came from Edmunds true selling market value. You can get a base 5.0 with upgrade 3.73 gears for 29k. Edmunds online is accurate. If you pay thousands over what Edmunds reports as selling true market value for any vehicle model then that someone is paying too much and got ripped . Of course if you load the options up on the Gt you can spend 37k easy. If you load the options up on the Boss you can spend 47 k or more. So were back up to the 10k. Even all the upgrades from the dealer on the 5.0 isn't gonna make it faster than a base 5.0. Brembo brakes, electronic packages and wider tires do not make the car faster from straight acceleration purposes. Which is what most people do. They juice it a traffic light, (not implying street racing) or juice it while there doing 65 or higher going straight. Juice it after coming out of a corner from the road on the way home from Sunday Church or going to Waffle House. As far as investment goes. I don't buy a car to make money off of it. Cars value typically depreciate as the car gets older. Maybe with the Boss this holds not true and in fact they go up in value. I don't invest in cars. I bought my stang to drive, put miles on it. Run that pony until the wheels fall off, 15 years or so then buy another and repeat. Because im not an investor of cars I have no clue how much a Boss does or doesn't depreciate. I have no clue on how much a 5.0 depreciates as well. Again, im not buying the car to keep it in a garage and look at it. My joy comes from driving my stang and hearing the pony's scream and pull hard as I juice it.
My Boss was fully optioned, which isn't much.lol, but was 43 grand.
Id pay 5 grand to brag that I have a Boss over s GT, which like everyone said is a great car. But I want something i feel is special, whether it is or not to some, I feel it is and thats why I choose it, NOT BECAUSE OF WHAT IT COULD BE WORTH,
Anyone who thinks a Boss will be worth more down the road is Nuts.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 12/1/11 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 05:07 AM
Rom
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ON PAPER it comes down to this: more better stuff for more money,
which understandably can be either a money issue (10k) , or a "do I really need these options" issue for some guys.

ON A TEST DRIVE it comes down to this: Give me the Boss NOW and where do I sign, my mom is for sale and I'll throw in my girlfriend and my dogs!
Old 12/1/11, 06:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Rom
ON A TEST DRIVE it comes down to this: Give me the Boss NOW and where do I sign, my mom is for sale and I'll throw in my girlfriend and my dogs!
Also, there's knowing that - save for cars like the ZR1, Viper etc. - you have the BADDEST car on the road.
Old 12/1/11, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by servitium
If you want to get the GT (a superb vehicle) and save the cash, by all means do so. That said, the GT - even a kicked-up version - is nothing like a BOSS. The GT is street muscle car, the BOSS was designed on the track by Ford Racing.

For starters:

ENGINE/DRIVE TRAIN
Race-spec camshaft and bearings
Beefed up clutch
Short-shift gear box
CNC machined intake, exhaust ports and combustion chamber
High strength aluminum, CNC ported (exhaust and intake) heads
Forged pistons, rods and crankshaft
Heavy-duty valve springs
Sodium filled exhaust valves
Lightened valve components to withstand higher RPMs
Daytona "runner" type intake manifold
Quad exhaust
Improved oil delivery to include cooling system and baffling (8 quarts synthetic)
Larger radiator with improved internals

SUSPENSION/STEERING/CHASIS
Five position, driver adjustable shocks and struts
Improved larger front and rear stabilizers
Performance rated coil springs
Improved, stiffer suspension bushings
Re-tuned speed-sensitive electric steering system – three adjustable settings
Four piston Brembo braking system with performance pads, vented brake shields and reinforced brake-lines
Aerodynamic racing splitter
Lower ride height (11mm front, 1mm rear)
19" lightweight painted aluminum wheels w/ Pirelli P-Zeros (staggered - 9" front/10" rear)
Track key

PERFORMANCE
444 HP - with no turbo/forced induction

7,500 RPM redline (stable to 8,400)

0-60 3.93 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5eBwqiqMPU

1/4 mile: 12.3 seconds @ 115.8 MPH

Capable of 1+ lateral G
Exactly my point, the boss is a superior track car. I was just simply pointing that out. But if a buyer was looking to use there vehicle for non track course driving, then save some serious cash and go with a 5.0. A non track driver would not see the real benefits of the Boss and the 5.0 would perform just as good public roadway driving.

And about the Cobra, same thing applies. Based on bang for buck and street use, one would be better off buying a 2012 5.0 for 29k adding a pro charger supper charger for 6 or 7 grand over a 2012 Cobra that costs 50 k plus. With the supercharger the 5.0 would have over 600 hp and around 500 torque. One would spend 35 to 36k instead of 50 k and have a stang that would keep with a Cobra in most aspects.

Granted you do get that cool looking cobra emblem for your grill and trunk but strictly speaking performance for dollar again the 5.0 with the one mod is a winner over the Cobra for non track course drivers. But the cobra is awesome, love them as I love all the stangs.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/1/11 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, there's knowing that - save for cars like the ZR1, Viper etc. - you have the BADDEST car on the road.
:delusional:
Old 12/1/11, 06:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord

My Boss was fully optioned, which isn't much.lol, but was 3 grand.
Id pay 5 grand to brag that I have a Boss over s GT, which like everyone said is a great car. But I want something i feel is special.
If you or any one out their feels special about buying a Boss then rock out with your sock out and buy it. Its your money and needs and if it makes you happy to brag about having a Boss then by all means buy it. Again this was just giving someone another opinion and look for someone thinking of buying a Boss and see if the Boss really fits there needs because a 5.0 with one small mod can give the same or very similar performance and acceleration for a non track racing driver while saving money.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/1/11 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

If you want to get the GT (a superb vehicle) and save the cash, by all means do so. That said, the GT - even a kicked-up version - is nothing like a BOSS. The GT is street muscle car, the BOSS was designed on the track by Ford Racing.

For starters:

ENGINE/DRIVE TRAIN
Race-spec camshaft and bearings
Beefed up clutch
Short-shift gear box
CNC machined intake, exhaust ports and combustion chamber
High strength aluminum, CNC ported (exhaust and intake) heads
Forged pistons, rods and crankshaft
Heavy-duty valve springs
Sodium filled exhaust valves
Lightened valve components to withstand higher RPMs
Daytona "runner" type intake manifold
Quad exhaust
Improved oil delivery to include cooling system and baffling (8 quarts synthetic)
Larger radiator with improved internals

SUSPENSION/STEERING/CHASIS
Five position, driver adjustable shocks and struts
Improved larger front and rear stabilizers
Performance rated coil springs
Improved, stiffer suspension bushings
Re-tuned speed-sensitive electric steering system – three adjustable settings
Four piston Brembo braking system with performance pads, vented brake shields and reinforced brake-lines
Aerodynamic racing splitter
Lower ride height (11mm front, 1mm rear)
19" lightweight painted aluminum wheels w/ Pirelli P-Zeros (staggered - 9" front/10" rear)
Track key

PERFORMANCE
444 HP - with no turbo/forced induction

7,500 RPM redline (stable to 8,400)

0-60 3.93 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5eBwqiqMPU

1/4 mile: 12.3 seconds @ 115.8 MPH

Capable of 1+ lateral G
Yet it over heats and goes into limp mode during track days.

Sorry I had too. LOL

But in all seriousness I cant believe this clown made a thread in the Boss forum to warn future Boss owners. OP have ever driven a Boss on the street or track? Its a beast. Also if you paid 29k for a base GT you over paid, I walked out the door with my 2011 brembo/3.73 for around 27k.
Old 12/1/11, 06:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Yaaa special !! Nah Nah Nah, lmao, mine even goes straight !!

Last edited by UnrealFord; 12/1/11 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

^^^ Beautiful car, I love the kona Boss. I want those recaros so bad.
Old 12/1/11, 07:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Mikes5.0
^^^ Beautiful car, I love the kona Boss. I want those recaros so bad.
Thank you,!
Old 12/1/11, 07:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sir, This thread was not warning potential Boss buyers anything. It was just a view and discussion about the Boss comparied to a 5.0. I didn't pay 29 k for a 5.0 because I don't have a 5.0. If one can buy the 5.0 for 27 k with brembo brake package , that's a sweet deal. That seems a little low but you did say 2011 and its the end of year so great deal. So now its 13k less. Im not in the market shopping for a 5.0. I obtained that 29k price from Edmunds online true selling market value. They list what a particular car is selling on average and what other people are buying it for. I find there pricing very reliable from personal experience of buying my vehicles
Old 12/1/11, 07:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Yaaa special !! Nah Nah Nah, lmao, mine even goes straight !!
And you can even get the lawnmower attachment shown in the middle picture and get your yard cut in 4 seconds flat!
Old 12/1/11, 07:18 AM
GT Member

I didn't get the reason for the post when I first saw it. It wasn't a message to the Boss owners, it was a public service message to someone debating between a GT and a Boss.

My public service message, many magazines have called the Boss the best Mustang ever. That's not me a passionate Boss dude but the automotive press. Is it worth more than a GT? Personal choice. Is a GT500 worth more than a Boss, Personal choice. That's why they make 8 variations..if I counted right.
Old 12/1/11, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Well first, you start your post cross shopping an automatic GT vs. a Boss 302, so I didn't see this thread carrying too much value from the get go.

I know the Boss will perform better when it comes to cornering and handling when track racing. But how many people are track racing there stang. I bet 95 percent of stang owners primarily drive there stang to and from work.
Hence why 95% of stang owners by your run-of-the-mill V6 or GT, and why Ford is only building 4,000 Boss 302's a year.... not many people do track their Mustangs (either competitive or non-competitive).

Who really cares how fast you can take a turn when we get on the highway and drive straight.
And that right there explains your entire post. You're ignorance of any form of motorsport other than drag racing has shown through. You know who cares how fast you can take a turn? I do. My weekend cars probably see more track mileage than highway mileage in a given year. Go buy your automatic GT

Last edited by smbstyle; 12/1/11 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kyfigfam
I didn't get the reason for the post when I first saw it. It wasn't a message to the Boss owners, it was a public service message to someone debating between a GT and a Boss.

My public service message, many magazines have called the Boss the best Mustang ever. That's not me a passionate Boss dude but the automotive press. Is it worth more than a GT? Personal choice. Is a GT500 worth more than a Boss, Personal choice. That's why they make 8 variations..if I counted right.
Im not saying the Boss is not the best every Mustang built for combination of power and performance for street and race track. It just may not be the best option for someone whose not looking to spend 41k plus and is looking for a stang that has mad power and performance for his daily commute to work, food store, etc. Once again, no way am I attacking the Boss.

Good grief, you Boss owners are like the BMW owners of Ford.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/1/11 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Who really cares how fast you can take a turn when we get on the highway and drive straight. I think 10 grand is so not worth paying for the words 302 boss on the side.

The boss should only sell for a few thousand more based upon the little hp you get for the car. Not much value there compared to the 5.0.

Good grief, you Boss owners are like the BMW owners of Ford.
Well when you make a thread in the Boss section making statements like these what else would you expect?
Old 12/1/11, 07:55 AM
Cobra R Member

You should have seen how bad we cry when we dont get the Trackey, and then how bad we whine that its not as good as we wanted ( trackey ) .lmao

Last edited by UnrealFord; 12/1/11 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle

And that right there explains your entire post. You're ignorance of any form of motorsport other than drag racing has shown through. You know who cares how fast you can take a turn? I do. My weekend cars probably see more track mileage than highway mileage in a given year. Go buy your automatic GT
Respectfully, I have no intention of buying a 5.0 anytime in the near future. Im very happy and content with my 11 V6 er. Certainly not the highest performance level stang out there but I wasn't looking to take it to a road course track or 1/4 mile track car. The 5.0 was well within my budget however I was not willing to spend the 6 k extra for the 5.0 just to go one second faster to the stop light. The 305 hp suits my wants just fine, plenty fast for my liking. The 5.0 kills the v6 in every performance way but im not racing and its not important to me. Based upon my wants I would not really benefit from what a 5.0 offers performance wise and therefore the extra 6k is a waste to me. Of course I do like some speed and the new 305 engine delivers that for me. 22,500 out the door. Ford made this a great car, great performance, great fuel mpg and a great price.

Second reason my wife and I bought the sixer. We plan on giving this vehicle to our son in seven years, when he is 17 and once again due to economic reasons, car insurance would be more affordable at that age.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/1/11 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

You should have seen how bad we cry we dont get Trackey, and then how bad we whine that its not as good as we wanted ( trackey ) .lmao
Clearly, I can see that. Good grief!

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302 or 2012 5.0