Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2012 Boss 302 or 2012 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/11, 06:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 Boss 302 or 2012 5.0

First, Let me say I think the Boss is a great production by Ford as all there stangs. Is it just me or looking at what one gets with the Boss compared to the 5.0 the Boss is grossly overpriced. I say this based upon the value and dollar cost for each vehicle and compared the performance of each. According to Edmunds online a base model Boss has a true selling market value of around 41,000 dollars. For that 41 k the Boss supplies you with standard performance goodies along with 440 hp and 380 torque.

The Base 5.0 with upgraded 3.73 gears plus automatic has a true selling market value of 29,000. This was based off of Edmunds. The 12 5.0 has 412 hp and 390 torque.

Just based on numbers the Boss costs $11,000 more than the 5.0. Based upon hp numbers the Boss has 32 more hp and 10 less torque.

So let me get this straight your basically paying 11,000 dollars for a car that has a whopping 32 more horses. Im sorry but I just can't see where the value in that is.

One can buy a airaid cold air intake and sct bama performance tuner combo for 700 dollars from American Musscle. This combo will easily add 22 hp and 30 extra pounds of torque.

With that in mind your now looking at a 10 hp advantage to the Boss. Now your at 10,000 dollars more for the Boss after you purchase the sct tuner combo.

So my assessment of this is that value on the dollar and performance wise the 5.0 is a much smarter purchase for people who are not professionally racing a Boss on a road corse. I know the Boss will perform better when it comes to cornering and handling when track racing. But how many people are track racing there stang. I bet 95 percent of stang owners primarily drive there stang to and from work. Daily commuters or nice weekend rides. Garage Queens many are.

Who really cares how fast you can take a turn when we get on the highway and drive straight. I think 10 grand is so not worth paying for the words 302 boss on the side.

The boss should only sell for a few thousand more based upon the little hp you get for the car. Not much value there compared to the 5.0.
Old 11/30/11, 06:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To each his own. It's the heritage, the suspension, the dual path ECM, and not just 30 HP. The Boss' engine has forged internals. And I love taking her on a highway or back roads and taking the turns a little aggressive and for me 3/4 times a year at a track and really opening her up. If you want a daily driver that probably won't ever see the track, by all means buy what you like and keep 10G's in your pocket. No regrets here, I Love my BOSS!
Old 11/30/11, 06:23 PM

Not sure what model year, but next year the regular 5.0 is supposed to have 420 hp. Not sure you can find one with those options for 29k. The extra money is for the adjustable shocks and the recaro seats. As you point out though, if your not planning on tracking your car, it would be much cheaper too buy a decal package. However, if you are going to track your car the Boss would be more durable, and have a higher resale value then if you had added 5k in track parts to a regular 5.0.
Old 11/30/11, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to respond seriously but I'd rather go with my first instinct of:

"Are you ****ing retarded?"
Old 11/30/11, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

And please don't take that as a damnation of the GT as it is a fine, incredibly capable piece of machinery that is pretty much unmatched by anything at its price point.
Old 11/30/11, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Forged rotating assembly, deeper oil pan, larger oil cooler/radiator, motorsport-tested engine, a bit more power, standard Brembos, stiffer springs, adjustable shocks, larger sway bars, Recaro seats, larger tires, and all assembled and tested by Ford/SVT's engineers to build an exceptional track-capable street machine.
Old 11/30/11, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

As a driver, go with a GT and save your green for other toys.
If you're gonna track, buy the Boss.
I knew I wanted a track Stang, so this summer I added up modding a GT w/ Koni yellows, Steeda springs, front/rear bars, etc, I was within about $5k of a Boss. That didn't factor in Boss seats, air plenum, forged internals.

If you'll track, strongly consider the Boss. If not, buy a nice GT and enjoy.
Old 11/30/11, 06:44 PM

Track key, quad exhaust, staggered rims, upgraded clutch,3:73 gears, brembo brakes, higher red line(7500), painted roof, decals, stitched seats whether recaro or not. Better brake lines, pads, higher strength cylinder heads, new intake, lift and dia. Increased for the exhaust valves, forged pistons, forged connecting rods, race spec crank and bearings, heavy duty valve springs and more aggressive cam shafts. It is actually claimed stable up to 8400 rpm. Adjustable shocks and struts, pirelli p zero tires. Do this for 10k and enjoy
Old 11/30/11, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
....................... plus automatic.....................

...............if you are even thinking about an automatic buy your 5.0 becasue you don't get it..............
Old 11/30/11, 07:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Forged rotating assembly, deeper oil pan, larger oil cooler/radiator, motorsport-tested engine, a bit more power, standard Brembos, stiffer springs, adjustable shocks, larger sway bars, Recaro seats, larger tires, and all assembled and tested by Ford/SVT's engineers to build an exceptional track-capable street machine.
I don't think im retarded. I hope not. Lol. First, I think the boss is great and certainly im not trying to offend anyone. As far as more power. Yeah, 10 more hp after the tuner combo. Not much for the 10 plus grand they charge. Standard Brembo brakes. That's great for track racing but whats the benefit for people who are not track racing. Im sure the standard brakes on the 5.0 stop the car just fine. The person who sets the car on cruise on highway on way to work or Wal Mart doesn't really benefit from the Brembo brake package.

Larger sway bars. What benefit are larger sway bars going to be for a person who does not race it on track course. The daily driver or nice weather only, weekend warrior will never see the benefit of larger sway bars.

Larger tires, Again what benefit is that to the non track course racer. Are the tires on the 5.0 small. Will they not hug the road. Last time I saw the 5.0 can easily do 150 mph. Clearly with out dispute the Boss is a superior track course car over the 5.0 but for what 95 percent of consumers will actually do with there stang on a daily, weekly or monthly basis the Boss is overpriced and not worth the 10 grand extra.

With that said, if it makes someone happy to pay 41k plus for the Boss then have at it. Its just not a great deal for the little gains the common driver gets. Now Im retarded!
Old 11/30/11, 07:27 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
...............if you are even thinking about an automatic buy your 5.0 becasue you don't get it..............
+1 agree
Old 11/30/11, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think im retarded. I hope not. Lol. First, I think the boss is great and certainly im not trying to offend anyone. As far as more power. Yeah, 10 more hp after the tuner combo. Not much for the 10 plus grand they charge. Standard Brembo brakes. That's great for track racing but whats the benefit for people who are not track racing. Im sure the standard brakes on the 5.0 stop the car just fine. The person who sets the car on cruise on highway on way to work or Wal Mart doesn't really benefit from the Brembo brake package.

Larger sway bars. What benefit are larger sway bars going to be for a person who does not race it on track course. The daily driver or nice weather only, weekend warrior will never see the benefit of larger sway bars.

Larger tires, Again what benefit is that to the non track course racer. Are the tires on the 5.0 small. Will they not hug the road. Last time I saw the 5.0 can easily do 150 mph. Clearly with out dispute the Boss is a superior track course car over the 5.0 but for what 95 percent of consumers will actually do with there stang on a daily, weekly or monthly basis the Boss is overpriced and not worth the 10 grand extra.

With that said, if it makes someone happy to pay 41k plus for the Boss then have at it. Its just not a great deal for the little gains the common driver gets. Now Im retarded!
A lot of people here, myself included, track our cars. The Boss is a no-brainer for that purpose if it isn't a budget constraint.

The GT is a fine street car and even a competent track car for any driver.
Old 11/30/11, 07:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

2011 Kona Blue, you need to move this thread to:

https://themustangsource.com/f726/

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 11/30/11 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11/30/11, 07:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

First, Let me say I think the Boss is a great production by Ford as all there stangs. Is it just me or looking at what one gets with the Boss compared to the 5.0 the Boss is grossly overpriced. I say this based upon the value and dollar cost for each vehicle and compared the performance of each. According to Edmunds online a base model Boss has a true selling market value of around 41,000 dollars. For that 41 k the Boss supplies you with standard performance goodies along with 440 hp and 380 torque.

The Base 5.0 with upgraded 3.73 gears plus automatic has a true selling market value of 29,000. This was based off of Edmunds. The 12 5.0 has 412 hp and 390 torque.

Just based on numbers the Boss costs $11,000 more than the 5.0. Based upon hp numbers the Boss has 32 more hp and 10 less torque.

So let me get this straight your basically paying 11,000 dollars for a car that has a whopping 32 more horses. Im sorry but I just can't see where the value in that is.

One can buy a airaid cold air intake and sct bama performance tuner combo for 700 dollars from American Musscle. This combo will easily add 22 hp and 30 extra pounds of torque.

With that in mind your now looking at a 10 hp advantage to the Boss. Now your at 10,000 dollars more for the Boss after you purchase the sct tuner combo.

So my assessment of this is that value on the dollar and performance wise the 5.0 is a much smarter purchase for people who are not professionally racing a Boss on a road corse. I know the Boss will perform better when it comes to cornering and handling when track racing. But how many people are track racing there stang. I bet 95 percent of stang owners primarily drive there stang to and from work. Daily commuters or nice weekend rides. Garage Queens many are.

Who really cares how fast you can take a turn when we get on the highway and drive straight. I think 10 grand is so not worth paying for the words 302 boss on the side.

The boss should only sell for a few thousand more based upon the little hp you get for the car. Not much value there compared to the 5.0.
Opinions are like ********...everyone has there very own. Sure the Boss has only a little more HP, but you obviously haven't priced out the cost of upgrading the engine components, suspension, Recaro seats, wheels and whatever else. Those things will not be just a few thousand dollars more I assure you.... justify in your mind the car you want. I WANTED a Boss so I bought one. If you want a GT...then buy one but you don't need to post your self justifications in here do you? In a way it seems like your downing our car and trying to throw that in our faces....

Be happy with your choice because I can assure you I am happy with mine !!
Old 11/30/11, 07:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I went to the Ford site and configured a GT as close to the Boss to make it an apples-to-apples comparison.
2012 GT w/ Brembos, 3:73, GT Front Lower Fascia: $32,595
2012 Boss 302 (no options): $41,105

Difference: $8,510 for everything that MrBonus said (except the Recaros which aren't included in the base Boss). And yes, I know you can get a GT for way under sticker, so the market difference is a little more. I see that extra difference as an "exclusivity" fee. To me, it's not only about the HP/torque. The extra amount is worth having all those parts tested together over hundreds of thousands of miles (if not millions). Plus, it would cost quite a bit to take the engine apart and put in forged internals. Forged internals don't necessarily get you more power, but they are lighter (for better response) and stronger (to withstand wear and handle more power).

I think the Mustang team got the Boss just right as a good balance between street and track. I would bet they've done a lot more R&D/testing then the aftermarket manufacturers and tuners. I don't mind paying the extra money for that if my car is going to have a better chance at lasting longer.

I'm keeping my car close to stock with only minor bolt-on mods for my track days. In my past cars, I've gone the mod/tune route to make more power and handle better (sometimes, at a trade off for drivability and reliability).

In the end, it comes down to preference. It's great that we have a choice between a V6, GT, Boss or GT500. Everybody should pick the car that's going to fit their driving patterns and make them the most happy. For me, the Boss does it.

Last edited by SoCalBoss; 11/30/11 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11/30/11, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

You know you make a lot of assumptions to justify telling people who just bought a Boss that they'd be smarter to do something else. You talk money but show no depreciation estimates for each model, you talk about 95% DD them but show no evidence or data to support it, you make blanket statements about weekenders ability to push the limits. You seem to just latch on to HP and make a decision based on superficial info. Have you test driven a Boss? Do you know how to drive a stick?

Why exactly are you posting?
Old 11/30/11, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I do apologize for any misconceptions about my post. In no way am I downing your vehicle of choice or the Boss itself. The Boss is a legendary car and a awesome one at that. I like the boss very much. Ford built a great car such as the boss and all Mustangs included.

Again I do apologize for any Boss owner or any other car owner if in any way offended them. I actually don't even have a 5.0. I went for the sixer which suits my wants and needs for my pony car.
Old 11/30/11, 08:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes I can drive stick. My numbers are not being based on hp alone. The numbers were based on base models for each one and unless one is track racing one might be better off financially in purchasing a 5.0. The post was for any person who was thinking of purchasing a Boss in the future and too look at the pros and cons. It was also to point out that I think the boss while awesome ,it is overpriced for the extras you get if one is not going to track race the car. This post was supposed to be an informative thread to give different points of views and help a person decide if the Boss was really what they want or to satisfy there desires.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 11/30/11 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11/30/11, 08:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I actually don't even have a 5.0. I went for the sixer which suits my wants and needs for my pony car.
Nothing wrong with a 2011 V6. Aren't they faster than a 2010 GT?
Old 11/30/11, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Wellll. Its close to the 10 Gt

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302 or 2012 5.0